who do you want as the new manager

485 posts
North Royal Lad

Re: who do you want as the new manager

by North Royal Lad » 21 Mar 2018 17:51

loyalroyal4life
The Reverend
loyalroyal4life Pearson with Reid back as his assistant

You reckon you could persuade someone coaching in the Premier League under Hodgson to take up the same position in the Championship under Pearson?

Pearson is a full out bully and a mentallist by the way

Do not see why not? Reid left due to Stam and an obvious difference in opinion on coaching aspects. Certainly has more chance of eventually managing Reading than managing Palace in the future too

Nigel pearson won’t come to much wages come on don’t be a idiot

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Mar 2018 18:06

CavershamRoyal
SCIAG Adi Viveash.

- Ex-Reading
- Very successful as Chelsea U18/21/23 manager
- Plays our style of football
- Good at developing young players including four full England internationals and John Swift
- Currently unemployed.

Genuine question - what is 'our style of football'?

Build from the back, lots of short passing, patient, possession-based football.

It's what we've used under our last five managers and what all our academy sides have used for the past ten years. Definitely seems like an advantage to have a manager who uses a style that the players are familiar with.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 21 Mar 2018 18:17

hughsies no.1 Will be Clement.

- Worked with Gourlay
- Been in relegation battle and saved Swansea
- Local boy
- Without a club so no fee to pay

According to his wiki page: 'After a poor start to the following season, Clement was criticised for playing "boring" and "negative" football, with some Swansea fans questioning his tactical decisions' - so the perfect replacement for Stam!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Mar 2018 18:19

maffff I want Jaap Stam for our next manager.

Well, not Jaap Stam, but...

'Modou Barrow has established himself as Reading’s most productive player this season: the Gambian has a respectable nine goals and his pace allows the team to play through opposition pressing. However, the winger’s only appearance under Clement at Swansea came in an EFL Trophy game, before he was loaned out to Leeds on the final day of January 2017, then sold permanently to the Royals the following August.

It may be that Barrow doesn’t fit in with the 46-year-old’s approach, which could be described as ‘risk-free’. His Swansea side often retained the ball – they had more than 50% possession in eight of their 13 games this season against non-top six opposition under Clement – as sideways merchants such as Roque Mesa often made the starting eleven. When Swansea didn’t have the ball though, they stayed in a deep, compact shape, so matches involving them didn’t see many turnovers in possession – not dissimilar to Reading’s games under Stam.'

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Mar 2018 18:20

I'd b reasonably happy with Clement and think he'd be a pretty decent fit for the club and what we seem to be doing.

By all accounts he's an organiser and favours a more progressive style of play and although lots of fans seem to want to revert to a direct style what we really need, IMO, is better defensive organisation and discipline coupled with a more pragmatic approach to use what possession we do have to actually create some more excitement and attack intent.

Clement, it would appear, will certainly tackle the organisation and add a bit of steel to our defending but, as I said a few weeks back, my reservation with him is that he's more of a coach/assistant than a manager, although I don't think he was quite the failure some would paint him at Derby or Swansea.

I do like the suggestion of Viveash being involved. I wonder if he could come in as part of Clements staff, add in a bit of Wally Downes to scare this lot into putting a bit of fight and urgency into things and you might have a potent mix!

If not Clement, I've always said I'd be happy with Parky coming back but, as someone else has said, it would seem unlikely that he'd walk out on Bolton at this point in time.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 21 Mar 2018 18:21

Royalwaster
hughsies no.1 Will be Clement.

- Worked with Gourlay
- Been in relegation battle and saved Swansea
- Local boy
- Without a club so no fee to pay

According to his wiki page: 'After a poor start to the following season, Clement was criticised for playing "boring" and "negative" football, with some Swansea fans questioning his tactical decisions' - so the perfect replacement for Stam!

now stam gone now . and your slag off clement play negative football .,?? get a life power
Clement could do well for Reading fc
!! if he come !!
Last edited by North Royal Lad on 21 Mar 2018 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 21 Mar 2018 18:23

Dave Royal returns

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 21 Mar 2018 18:23

Clement sounds shit.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 21 Mar 2018 18:24

Scutterbucketz Dave Royal returns

sorry it North royal Lad
my real name . Paul ok mate

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Mar 2018 18:25

Stranded
Wycombe Royal
Stranded Paul Clement has a decent record (if it is to be him)
With Derby at Champ level:
P33 W14 D12 L7
Swansea at Prem:
P41 W14 D5 L22
If he can replicate that PPG at Derby over the next 8 games (assuming its him) then we will pick up 13pts and be comfortably safe. Even his Swansea PPG would see us get to 45pts, which should be enough.

If only Stam could have replicated the PPG from Reading last season....we'd be in the playoffs....

PPG's with previous clubs or even previous seasons mean nothing. It's all about getting the right fit to work with the players you have.

Well of course - I was merely pointing out that his record is actually fairly decent. Doesn't mean he would be successful but he's not as terrible as some would suggest.

If its Clement, I'm hoping he's a lot more than just 'decent'. Stam, who is allegedly crap, in his ever first season in management, took a squad that had finished 17th and 19th the 2 years prior, up to 3rd place. So, maybe we'll get to see what the vastly experienced Clement does his first year. The problem wasn't the players here, right? They are very talented. So, not sure how there could be many excuses tied in with Clement if he came. The clock is ticking...
Last edited by Denver Royal on 21 Mar 2018 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 21 Mar 2018 18:26

Scutterbucketz Clement sounds shit.

:o does he .... barrow came from swansea . so he might to well if he come

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 21 Mar 2018 18:35

North Royal Lad
Scutterbucketz Clement sounds shit.

:o does he .... barrow came from swansea . so he might to well if he come

He only played Barrow once before shipping him out. :?

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 21 Mar 2018 18:38

Denver Royal
Stranded
Wycombe Royal If only Stam could have replicated the PPG from Reading last season....we'd be in the playoffs....

PPG's with previous clubs or even previous seasons mean nothing. It's all about getting the right fit to work with the players you have.

Well of course - I was merely pointing out that his record is actually fairly decent. Doesn't mean he would be successful but he's not as terrible as some would suggest.

If its Clement, I'm hoping he's a lot more than just 'decent'. Stam, who is allegedly crap, in his ever first season in management, took a squad that had finished 17th and 19th the 2 years prior, up to 3rd place. So, maybe we'll get to see what the vastly experienced Clement does his first year. The problem wasn't the players here, right? They are very talented. So, not sure how there could be many excuses tied in with Clement if he came. The clock is ticking...

he could be good for us

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 21 Mar 2018 18:46

We need a coach for the next 8 games to bring out the form we know these players are capable of.

I'd honestly take someone respected like Redknapp for the next 8 games then look to get someone like McClaren or Clement in over the summer. Both are familiar with coaching in the structure of which this football club is now set up.

We would all love for some of 'the old guard' to return in the likes of Coppell, Murty or Parky. But I just can't see Gourlay or the owners considering going for them.

Old Boy Blue

by Old Boy Blue » 21 Mar 2018 19:08

Please not Clement. He cracks up under pressure and publicly slates his players. He became very unpopular at Derby and could not sustain things at Swansea. He is a classic case of good coach bad manager.
Mark Warburton who did very well at Brentford and Rangers and not given enough time to do a total rebuild at Forest would be a very good choice. Gary Bowyer would be another good choice aftet doing well in very difficult circumstances at both Blackburn and Blackpool.
I fear that Clements connections with Gourlay may see a hasty appointment being made.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Mar 2018 19:18

Old Boy Blue Please not Clement. He cracks up under pressure and publicly slates his players. He became very unpopular at Derby and could not sustain things at Swansea. He is a classic case of good coach bad manager.
Mark Warburton who did very well at Brentford and Rangers and not given enough time to do a total rebuild at Forest would be a very good choice. Gary Bowyer would be another good choice aftet doing well in very difficult circumstances at both Blackburn and Blackpool.
I fear that Clements connections with Gourlay may see a hasty appointment being made.

Pros and cons with most names that will be mentioned. Just hoping it’s not going to be Ulderink.

Need someone with really good man management skills who can quickly install belief and a strong work hard team ethic.

Let’s also hope Elphick and McShane are not far from playing again.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Mar 2018 19:28

North Royal Lad
Victor Meldrew There is the Reading connection with his brother Neil having played for us.
Mind youthe rumour of Paul Clement getting the job could be a major mix-up as we already have a P Clement as a player.

paul Clement Ex swansea boss .... mate get it right

:?: :?: :?: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 Mar 2018 19:32

I'd go with Redknapp until the end of the season, he'd keep us up.

Good at man management and I think he'd get more out of certain players, and there would be no time for him to break the bank with a zillion signings.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 21 Mar 2018 19:33

Victor Meldrew
North Royal Lad
Victor Meldrew There is the Reading connection with his brother Neil having played for us.
Mind youthe rumour of Paul Clement getting the job could be a major mix-up as we already have a P Clement as a player.

paul Clement Ex swansea boss .... mate get it right

don’t you no Paul Clement was at swansea boss ok !! :lol:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Mar 2018 19:39

North Royal Lad
Victor Meldrew
North Royal Lad paul Clement Ex swansea boss .... mate get it right

don’t you no Paul Clement was at swansea boss ok !! :lol:

You're not the brightest tool in the box are you?
Shall I spell it out for you?
Everybody knows that PAUL Clement was the boss at Derby and Swansea (as well as assistant at Real Madrid etc.)
Pelle Clement is a Reading player and mine was a none-too-subtle attempt at a joke, implying that there could be a mix-up with the Clements.

485 posts