who do you want as the new manager

485 posts
Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

Re: who do you want as the new manager

by Libertine » 21 Mar 2018 21:55

A logical person would assume that with the position we're in, and what is at stake, to make such a move the people in charge had thought things out and had someone lined up for the position. If the replacing Stam process takes more than 48 hours I am not going to be filled with confidence that we will not be relegated.

But I eagerly await the next person to be willing to walk up the steps to the RFC chopping block...hopefully that process won't be as painfully long as it was to convince Clarke.

I have long argued the key to success is stability and continuity. Hopefully the next person, whomever he is, will be the key master.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Mar 2018 22:01

Zip
PistolPete I assume people are not saying they want Marco Silva simply because it’s so unlikely? Far an away the best option if conceivable

Is he? Clement was more successful than him last season and Watford were on the slide when he was sacked.

Not only that but he'd be looking to jump ship to the next job almost as soon as he'd got his name on the door.

Wouldn't touch him personally.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Mar 2018 22:55

Please god not Clement. Haven't we all had enough of lifeless, negative football over the last 5 odd years?

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 21 Mar 2018 23:02

Parky, but maybe not straight away. I'd try to get Coppell to return on a temporary basis to steer the club to safety. He definitely won't want the job full time but if we are to go down, I'd rather someone who will fight for this club and he's the one man I know would do (he would keep us up I'm sure but if he wasn't able to, I'd accept it more knowing he tried damn hard to do so).

Parky would return if we was on a level playing field next season. I'm certain of it. He would have money to spend as well which he's done a bloody good job at Bolton without.

Parky has proved himself... let's bring him home

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Mar 2018 23:05

@pjcadden
Told Paul Clement expected to move to Reading.

From a Sun journo

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 21 Mar 2018 23:16

genome @pjcadden
Told Paul Clement expected to move to Reading.

From a Sun journo

I'm not sure I want Clement. But hey, if he comes, he will have my full backing.

Personally I would want a manager who can give this lot a kick up the arse like Coppell or Redknapp and go in for Parky next season.

Murty would be amazing to have back but he is managing in a poor league with only one other decent side in there.

Why not Dylan Kerr. Seems like he gains respect wherever he goes and would give everything for the cause. I'm sure he won't pussyfoot around our overpaid prima donnas and go back to basics.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Mar 2018 23:22

People saying Paul Clement would be a bad signing :lol:

Lets look at this managerial career

2009–2011 Chelsea (assistant)
2011–2012 Blackburn Rovers (assistant)
2012–2013 Paris Saint-Germain (assistant)
2013–2015 Real Madrid (assistant)
2015–2016 Derby County
2016–2017 Bayern Munich (assistant)
2017 Swansea City

He's coached some world class players in his time - he was sacked at Derby despite them being 5th in the league and then at Swansea he kept them up when everyone thought it was likely they were going down...

People say he plays "boring negative football" but can it be any worse than what we've been watching all season? - he would have learnt alot from his time at Derby and Swansea (look at Brendan Rodgers who everyone thought played boring negative football when he started his career with us....)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Mar 2018 23:26

TBM People saying Paul Clement would be a bad signing :lol:

2015–2016 Derby County
2017 Swansea City

He's coached some world class players in his time - he was sacked at Derby despite them being 5th in the league and then at Swansea he kept them up when everyone thought it was likely they were going down...

People say he plays "boring negative football" but can it be any worse than what we've been watching all season? - he would have learnt alot from his time at Derby and Swansea (look at Brendan Rodgers who everyone thought played boring negative football when he started his career with us....)

I'd be happy enough with him.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Mar 2018 23:29

Agreed, we could do a lot worse given the circumstances.

For now, we just need to worry about the new guy coming and getting us a few wins so we can stay up, and then worry about the long-term future under him in the summer.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 21 Mar 2018 23:31

2015–2016 Derby County
2017 Swansea City

Assistant at England and Ireland U21's too.

Beckham, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic

Barrow, Aluko, Bodvarsson

You can see why he'd want to come and coach here.
Last edited by royalp-we on 21 Mar 2018 23:39, edited 2 times in total.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 21 Mar 2018 23:36

In all seriousness Clement could get an assistant role at most top level sides, club and international.
So if he is willing to join our sinking ship, fans should really give him the backing.

Imho I'd like to get someone else in till May. Then perhaps build with someone like Clement in the summer.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 21 Mar 2018 23:50

I think that Clement would provide a lot of motivation for the players to improve towards the end of the season. It would be an indication that Reading are serious about long term development and investing in good managers. If i was slightly worried about being kicked out the door in the summer i'm make sure I was playing at the top of my game for the next couple of months.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 22 Mar 2018 06:07

John Madejski's Wallet Please god not Clement. Haven't we all had enough of lifeless, negative football over the last 5 odd years?

please stop slag him off he not here yet !

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 22 Mar 2018 06:15

genome Agreed, we could do a lot worse given the circumstances.

For now, we just need to worry about the new guy coming and getting us a few wins so we can stay up, and then worry about the long-term future under him in the summer.

hey Genome u don’t no nothing about football pal

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 22 Mar 2018 06:29

glenroyal A fan's favourite (with a track record, obvs) Murts / Parky for me - but that would presumably need to be next season.
Shorter term availability to end of season and see how it goes from there - i'd be OK with a seasoned pro like Rednapp

Can't see Coppell wanting to. Pards would, but would the fans?

Mark McGhee is suddenly free :lol:

it paul clement mate

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Mar 2018 06:51

Clement wouldn’t be my first choice or even near it tbh, but would be happy enough if he came and would back him to do ok

I think the boring negative football suggestions may be a bit unfair. He got screwed over at Swansea with their transfer activity and I’m can’t remember the Derby fans being particularly critical of their style of play (certainly wasn’t the noise about it that we had with Stam for example)

He’d have my full backing tbh

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Mar 2018 06:53

2015–2016 Derby County
2017 Swansea City

His assistant jobs are meaningless. His two managerial appointments have ended with fairly quick sackings and complaints about negative football and poor tactical changes......We may as well keep Stam

After the dross of Rogers, Adkins, Clarke & Stam i just want to feel excited again. An attack minded manager for me please

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Mar 2018 06:55

ps he'll still have my full backing

Right up until aimless passbacks creep back in ;)

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 22 Mar 2018 07:06

He was sacked at Derby because the directors were bored shitless with his playing style. It's well documented.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 22 Mar 2018 07:22

double d Sorry Dave, but world downs syndrome appreciation day was yesterday so you can go away till next year now.
why don’t you be nice towards me in stead of be nasty .
Double D, My name is not dave .
i’m
paul from north Yorkshire . i still support my royal over 38 years
..... :lol:
Last edited by North Royal Lad on 22 Mar 2018 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

485 posts