Players on social media

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
massifheed

Players on social media

by massifheed » 22 Mar 2018 14:21

I've noticed a few players commenting on Jaap Stam since his departure, and they all seem to support him (not that I would necessarily expect any of the current squad to openly criticise him).

Chris Gunter here is suggesting he was let down - https://www.instagram.com/p/BgnSTqRhmSP ... risgunter2

And in this article JVDB - before he went - is saying that they all believe in him - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43457672

So is that just players doing the decent thing for an ex-boss, or does that suggest that they were actually behind him, and did support his managerial and play style, but were just not able to carry it out themselves?

I realise that I may be reading more into this than there is, but I had formed the opinion (and on reflection probably couldn't say where from exactly) that the players were divided on him.

What are people's thoughts?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Players on social media

by Forbury Lion » 22 Mar 2018 16:22

The best managers I ever had were the ones who let me get away with murder and underperform, I will sign their praises until the cows come home.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Mar 2018 16:23

Forbury Lion The best managers I ever had were the ones who let me get away with murder and underperform, I will sign their praises until the cows come home.

oxf*rd me that's profound. Good point FL.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Mar 2018 16:42

CountryRoyal
Forbury Lion The best managers I ever had were the ones who let me get away with murder and underperform, I will sign their praises until the cows come home.

oxf*rd me that's profound. Good point FL.

its not 100% true but get the point. I'd come to the conclusion a little while ago that Stam was too soft. Which is the opposite of what we would have expected when he first turned up

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 22 Mar 2018 17:20

Bang on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Mar 2018 17:45

tee peg

Bang on.

Not in my experience, but each to their own.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Mar 2018 18:18

I think a lot of the social media rhetoric is exactly just that. One could say they don't have to say anything at all, but in an age where everyone is meandering along doing what is supposedly the expected thing to do, it doesn't mean a lot. Talk is cheap, if they really supported their manager they would have performed a oxf*rd lot better when they were given unprecedented opportunity to.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Mar 2018 18:31

You can change your avatar now, CR.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Mar 2018 18:54

A number of players have made it very clear they regarded Stam as a top man. All this stuff that he had lost the dressing room is without foundation.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Mar 2018 18:55

Zip A number of players have made it very clear they regarded Stam as a top man. All this stuff that he had lost the dressing room is without foundation.

Where is Oilroyal, anyway?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 22 Mar 2018 19:14

Good evening everyone, and hope you are not too down about Clement being our likely new manager - even though he's not actually in teh country at present!

Although Forbs may have been said in jest, it is surprisingly true in my long experience. The bosses I came to respect the most, (usually after I'd left their employ), and those that got the best out of me, were those who took no bullshit whatsoever, appeared at the time to be single minded, driven and utterly ruthless, and frankly were the sort of people you wouldn't want to mix with socially if you had a choice. In other words they kept their distance and instilled an air of authority.

One would have thought that Stam would have been just such a character given his playing career and his experience under Ferguson. With the comments purported to be coming from the players, it would seem that he was actually far from that. Was he trying to be "one of the lads"? Did he not command the respect of the squad? Who knows. Just hope the next manager brings with him a sense of authority. Sir Steve Coppell apparently had this in spades - according to Dave Kitson the other week.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Mar 2018 20:02

genome You can change your avatar now, CR.

I still can't believe this day has finally come.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Mar 2018 11:05

massifheed I've noticed a few players commenting on Jaap Stam since his departure, and they all seem to support him (not that I would necessarily expect any of the current squad to openly criticise him).

Chris Gunter here is suggesting he was let down - https://www.instagram.com/p/BgnSTqRhmSP ... risgunter2

And in this article JVDB - before he went - is saying that they all believe in him - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43457672

So is that just players doing the decent thing for an ex-boss, or does that suggest that they were actually behind him, and did support his managerial and play style, but were just not able to carry it out themselves?

I realise that I may be reading more into this than there is, but I had formed the opinion (and on reflection probably couldn't say where from exactly) that the players were divided on him.

What are people's thoughts?

Interesting that these two players are ones given every chance despite form to play every week.
The club even waited for Gunter to be out of the country before making the announcement about Stam as they knew he would be the most upset of them all and will miss the hugs from Jaap.

Has Popa tweeted?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 23 Mar 2018 11:58

strap One would have thought that Stam would have been just such a character given his playing career and his experience under Ferguson. With the comments purported to be coming from the players, it would seem that he was actually far from that. Was he trying to be "one of the lads"? Did he not command the respect of the squad? Who knows. Just hope the next manager brings with him a sense of authority. Sir Steve Coppell apparently had this in spades - according to Dave Kitson the other week.

I had the belief that Stam was liked but not respected around the club and the opposite from a fans point of view. I had respect for him but did not like him. Players probably enjoyed the time at the start, different training methods and ethos. Then it went tits up and the impact was detrimental to the demise of Stam.
I cant see any real characters in the dressing room which is gunna give a lift out on the pitch - hopefully Clement has a hairdryer ready when needed.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Mar 2018 12:59

Snowflake Royal
tee peg

Bang on.

Not in my experience, but each to their own.
Not in my experience either if I'm being honest, I just said it for effect.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Mar 2018 13:00

Coppells Lost Coat
strap One would have thought that Stam would have been just such a character given his playing career and his experience under Ferguson. With the comments purported to be coming from the players, it would seem that he was actually far from that. Was he trying to be "one of the lads"? Did he not command the respect of the squad? Who knows. Just hope the next manager brings with him a sense of authority. Sir Steve Coppell apparently had this in spades - according to Dave Kitson the other week.

I had the belief that Stam was liked but not respected around the club and the opposite from a fans point of view. I had respect for him but did not like him. Players probably enjoyed the time at the start, different training methods and ethos. Then it went tits up and the impact was detrimental to the demise of Stam.
I cant see any real characters in the dressing room which is gunna give a lift out on the pitch - hopefully Clement has a hairdryer ready when needed.
Stam clearly has no need for a hairdryer.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Mar 2018 13:14

Forbury Lion
Coppells Lost Coat hopefully Clement has a hairdryer ready when needed.
Stam clearly has no need for a hairdryer.

Well exactly. Now that we've abandoned the follically-challenged-boss mode, we can get in somebody who knows how to use a hairdryer at the appropriate moment.

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1