POLL: Paul Clement in... are we still going down?

Are we still going down?

Yes - we’re fcuked regardless
33%
No - we’re staying up
67%

Total votes: 110
North Royal Lad

Re: POLL: Paul Clement in... are we still going down?

by North Royal Lad » 22 Mar 2018 21:39

Royalwaster
North Royal Lad
Snowflake Royal I think IF Clement comes in by Monday we have a slightly increased chance of staying up. I'd still rate our chances as slightly better than Brum or Burton.

but he singing at weekend

What is he singing? The national anthem or will it be Clap, clap, clap, blue army, blue army, blue army?
paul clement

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 22 Mar 2018 21:40

Royalwaster
North Royal Lad
Snowflake Royal I think IF Clement comes in by Monday we have a slightly increased chance of staying up. I'd still rate our chances as slightly better than Brum or Burton.

What is he singing? The national anthem or will it be Clap, clap, clap, blue army, blue army, blue army?

you no paul clement coming

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Mar 2018 22:35

Derby's point of view on the subject:

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28704-reading-sack-jaap-stam/

Obviously not big fans of Clement with many similarities being drawn to his style of play and Stam's. I think however that could work out for us, small changes. I keep seeing things saying how he made Derby hard to beat and solid - that's what we need, and hopefully we have enough creativity and injection of pace down the other end to do something. Who knows but I'm more excited then I am apprehensive.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Mar 2018 23:43

CountryRoyal Derby's point of view on the subject:

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28704-reading-sack-jaap-stam/

Obviously not big fans of Clement with many similarities being drawn to his style of play and Stam's. I think however that could work out for us, small changes. I keep seeing things saying how he made Derby hard to beat and solid - that's what we need, and hopefully we have enough creativity and injection of pace down the other end to do something. Who knows but I'm more excited then I am apprehensive.

Yeah fair point.

What we need right now is solidity and being difficult to beat. Grind out some points.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 23 Mar 2018 01:13

Any experienced manager will keep us up. The goals are already there... we just have to shore up our defense for the last 8 games

elrey

by elrey » 23 Mar 2018 03:42

What has the guy done as a manager to justify getting a job anywhere?

Two stints. One at Derby. He was 5th, which was an improvement on McClaren's 8th the previous season. But he was fired for supposedly making no progress and playing not good football.

He also lost after one win in seven games.

Then he went to Swansea, he kept them up and got named manager of the season. Criticized for playing boring and negative football.

Then he went on a bad run and got fired.

So, this is probably what you could expect, doing well till the end of the season and then, based on the current owners, getting fired after one win in 17 games next season.

Sounds like a plaster to cover a broken arm.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Mar 2018 08:06

If he can sort out our defence he will be fine with me, maybe bring back a few of the loan players to bolster the squad.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Mar 2018 08:41

Paul Clement *may* not be the greatest manager in the world but he's not awful. His biggest crime is perhaps playing negative football.

The point however is that Stam this season has been utterly woeful and totally clueless. He may have been inspired last season but just had no clue this season and I honestly believe was worse than having no one there.

So if only for the facts that there is a sense of change in the camp, a slight sense of excitement, the honeymoon of players trying to impress and actually a manager who might not be amazing, but clearly isn't awful I think we'll get just the kick we need to get a vital few points to stay up.

It literally couldn't be worse with Stam, who, listening to his post match interviews where he consistently sounded unbothered and was saying the owners can sack him if they want, seemed like he wasn't trying and the players must've sensed that.

This is a change we need and any change is good in such a situation.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Mar 2018 10:00

RoyalBlue I dearly hope I'm proved wrong but I fear his appointment would finish off the relegation job. His most recent experience is getting a club into trouble at the wrong end of the table.

The owners left it far too late to make their mind up on Stam and to find they sacked him this late in the season, without a really good replacement walking in the next day (regardless of how cynical and underhand such an act would have been) worries me even more.

What the hell are you talking about?

Also the 'failure' at Derby point: prior to Clement they have had McLaren who failed in the playoffs with them. They are now on their 4th manager since Clement and don't appear to be making anything like the required progress to make the playoffs; ergo I'd say they are miles away from being a success. There is a lot more to that than what the manager is able to influence (for similar see Coleman at Sunderland).

Basildon

by Basildon » 23 Mar 2018 10:07

Royalwaster
North Royal Lad

Not relevant but we took a friend of ours to the Bradford FA cup quarter final and he thought everyone was singing 'go on mate' rather than 'blue army'. Needless to say I will always sing go on mate for the rest of my days.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 23 Mar 2018 10:31

Basildon
Royalwaster
North Royal Lad but he singing at weekend

Not relevant but we took a friend of ours to the Bradford FA cup quarter final and he thought everyone was singing 'go on mate' rather than 'blue army'. Needless to say I will always sing go on mate for the rest of my days.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Is your mate hard of hearing?

double d

by double d » 23 Mar 2018 11:47

It will go to the last game.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 23 Mar 2018 11:53

Madejski Stadium. Credit: Eddie Greville

Reading FC have called a press conference for Friday afternoon to unveil their new manager.

Royals parted company with Jaap Stam on Wednesday following a poor run of results and they have moved quickly to appoint a new manager with only eight games left in the season.

The new manager is expected to be former Derby County and Swansea City boss Paul Clement.

The 46-year-old is favourite with the bookmakers having worked with Reading chief executive Ron Gourlay at former club Chelsea.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 23 Mar 2018 11:55

double d It will go to the last game.

wich people listen to me he not signed yet . he on his way to madejski

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 23 Mar 2018 11:55

no it won’t

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Mar 2018 11:56

North Royal Lad

no it won’t

F*ck off.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 23 Mar 2018 11:59

Old Man Andrews
North Royal Lad

no it won’t

F*ck off.

watch your swearing old andrew man ok i will report you telling me to F*ck off
xxxxx

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 23 Mar 2018 12:01

Old Man Andrews
North Royal Lad

no it won’t

F*ck off.

press conference is later this afternoon ok it on get reading live reading fc x

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 23 Mar 2018 12:03

Radio berkshire said press conference later this afternoon .

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 23 Mar 2018 12:06

North Royal Lad Radio berkshire said press conference later this afternoon .

Dave, stop it. You are spamming the board and being annoying. Shush now.