New Manager Press Conference 12pm today

North Royal Lad

Re: New Manager Press Conference 12pm today

by North Royal Lad » 23 Mar 2018 11:46

Reading FC have called a press conference for Friday afternoon to unveil their new manager.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Mar 2018 11:58

WoodleyRoyal will the conference be streamed live anywhere?

BBC One are covering it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Mar 2018 12:17

I have a few concerns, but mostly happy with this. Doubt we could do much better.

He's a relatively inexperienced manager, not having stayed anywhere long.

He's used to coaching world class players, those of chump standard are quite a different prospect.

Being a top coach isn't the same as being a top manager.

I'm not sure the crowd will really back anyone convincingly while we're trying to play passing, they just want to see us bomb on. There is already a divided response.

He does have experience at this level and in saving a relehation threatened side. The lack of details on contract suggest he amd the club may have taken a sensible 'suck it and see' approach to how he does til the end of the season.

Hopefully this can catalyse a new positive and assertive period at the club and trigger a bit more fight and organisation to pick up a couple of wins.

Lets have more wins and draws than losses to finish please.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 23 Mar 2018 12:22

If clement can make our team keep a clean sheet, I am sure lots of people will get on board.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 23 Mar 2018 12:26

Norfolk Royal
John Madejski's Wallet
royalp-we I'll be delighted if it is. I think people are underestimating what Clement has achieved for some of the world's biggest clubs, most importantly, coaching a similar playing style to our own.
#WelcomePaul

Exactly how much style coaching do the likes of Ronaldo need?
Not exactly champ plodders on a wet tuesday night in Burton is it....

I thought everyone pretty much agreed that good coaches =/= good managers

I am bored of possession football. Bored, bored, bored
If the style of play stays the same under the new manager the crowds are not exactly going to be flocking back and staying

// As i've said, i'll support him and wish him (and us) all the best. Can't help but feel nonplussed at the thought of more passing about at the back

I'm bored with possession football as well. We should give it to the opposition and enjoy their play instead.

Isn't that what we've been doing under 4 of the last 5 managers? We do the possession, they do the enjoyable actual footballing stuff, you know, like scoring goals

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Mar 2018 12:32

Negotiations ongoing to bring in 2 coaches in next few days - wonder if Nigel Gibbs is one....

Beasant and Gilkes stay

Ulderink and Bakkati have both left

Is here for the long term not jus to firefight

Hopes fans will be out to SUPPORT starting next Friday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Mar 2018 12:36

Not the most dynamic or inspiring presser I've ever heard, but he sounds clued up and with realistic expectations.

He's right that a new eye on what we're doing with a different voice and feedback could be good. It'd be so easy to get stuck in a rut of trying and saying the same things that aren't working and not knowing what else to do.

Players who've felt safe suddenly needing to prove themselves too.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 23 Mar 2018 12:41

From the position we're in, we should just need a bit of tightening up at the back and that should be enough to get us over the line I think. The new appointment plus the return of Elphick should be what the defensive line needs. Going forwards I think it's just a confidence issue, get the midfielders/forwards heads right and there's enough goals in the team to keep us up.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Mar 2018 12:42

Gourlay says PC has signed a 3 year contract.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Mar 2018 00:00

Coppells Lost Coat If clement can make our team keep a clean sheet, I am sure lots of people will get on board.

What is "a clean sheet"?

(I've only been watching for a couple of seasons)

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Mar 2018 00:07

Snowball
Coppells Lost Coat If clement can make our team keep a clean sheet, I am sure lots of people will get on board.

What is "a clean sheet"?

(I've only been watching for a couple of seasons)

A shutout? :(
Last edited by Denver Royal on 24 Mar 2018 11:30, edited 2 times in total.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 24 Mar 2018 00:49

John Madejski's Wallet
Norfolk Royal
John Madejski's Wallet Exactly how much style coaching do the likes of Ronaldo need?

If the style of play stays the same under the new manager the crowds are not exactly going to be flocking back and staying

// As i've said, i'll support him and wish him (and us) all the best. Can't help but feel nonplussed at the thought of more passing about at the back

I'm bored with possession football as well. We should give it to the opposition and enjoy their play instead.

Isn't that what we've been doing under 4 of the last 5 managers? We do the possession, they do the enjoyable actual footballing stuff, you know, like scoring goals

Don't bother watching motd or the world cup this summer then gents. It's the way so many teams have gone. If you do, you'll realise things aren't always boring.

I think the term 'possession football' is so generic. There are different ways in which to keep possession ie when required and different ways to go through the gears. Teams set up in various systems and can counter with a playmaker, bomb on down the wings, go direct with a big striker. These things can still happen in a possession based system. It can still excite the crowd if there is an clear attacking intent so don't base it all on what we have seen to date. What we have been playing, was an bject system where majority of the games we looked scared to go forward, scared to take chances and made silly mistakes. The players weren't going through the gears quick enough or looking 2 or 3 passes ahead. Everyone says we haven't got the players; but I think we do and I think we lacked the guidance to carry it out effectively this year.

We already know Clement likes to play with wide men, which imo will be an immediate improvement in our overall shape and chances created. If he can tighten up at the back and get some intensity and speed back in our play, instead of day dreaming in our own half, we'll do well. He's coached different players in different systems. He may well even have a plan b, unlike the stubborn egomaniac who has parted ways.

Like you say, let's support the new man in charge. Perhaps also allow the players to get their head around a different slant from the gaffer, play some good stuff and hope it's enough to keep us up.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Mar 2018 01:44

Exactly people have got hooked onto this term "possession based football" and think that everything that involves a bit of patience and possession is the same.

I look forward to possession based football being done properly with a decent plan B and plan C should the opposition press.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Mar 2018 04:18

2 world wars, 1 world cup Exactly people have got hooked onto this term "possession based football" and think that everything that involves a bit of patience and possession is the same.

I look forward to possession based football being done properly with a decent plan B and plan C should the opposition press.

I found it ironic that for a team who's supposed style was a specific possession based game, we were oxf*rd atrocious at it. I don't understand how we didn't seem to grasp the basic concept of pass and move (which ftr is a fundamental of football not some revolutionary continental tactic), it's almost like the players were coached not to move and to pass it around the defence for the sake of it - I know they weren't, they couldn't have been, but that is what it looked like.

oxf*rd me I'm glad Stam has gone.

Elmpk17

by Elmpk17 » 24 Mar 2018 06:43

Style of football has become almost important to many as end results. Unfortunately, we can't all be a man city or a liverpool.
Most fans want us to be solid at the back, work hard, try and play with pace and flare, pass the ball more often than not, keep the ugly hoof bally to a minimum.
At our level, wolves and Cardiff are showing different ways to be an effective side. I'd much rather be Wolves, but, we don't have the finance to build their squad. Wouldn't want the aggressive, ugly Warnock style, but it gets results. Somewhere between the two, would be ideal. Hopefully, Clement gets us somewhere near it. Trouble is, we've had flashes of it from all our recent managers, without keeping it going.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Mar 2018 08:10

CountryRoyal
2 world wars, 1 world cup Exactly people have got hooked onto this term "possession based football" and think that everything that involves a bit of patience and possession is the same.

I found it ironic that for a team who's supposed style was a specific possession based game, we were oxf*rd atrocious at it. I don't understand how we didn't seem to grasp the basic concept of pass and move (which ftr is a fundamental of football not some revolutionary continental tactic), it's almost like the players were coached not to move and to pass it around the defence for the sake of it - I know they weren't, they couldn't have been, but that is what it looked like.

oxf*rd me I'm glad Stam has gone.

I've been saying for ages that Stam seemed to get stuck in the nitty gritty of possesion focusing on that, rather than mauntainung any focus on why you want possession and what to do with it.

Footballers are notoriously thick. If you bang on about simple passes and keeping the ball and forget to remund them they're doing that for the purpose of pulling the opposition out of position to create space to attack and score, they'll forget they need to score to win.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Mar 2018 11:24

John Madejski's Wallet
Norfolk Royal
John Madejski's Wallet Exactly how much style coaching do the likes of Ronaldo need?

Yeah, having read a few Derby fan forums, I'm concerned about the entertainment/bums in seats factor. Worried some will look back and view this as having been an opportunity to change things up in that regard. Also, Clement was given quite a lot of money to spend at Derby, and not sure he will have that here.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 24 Mar 2018 12:15

Denver Royal
John Madejski's Wallet
Norfolk Royal

Yeah, having read a few Derby fan forums, I'm concerned about the entertainment/bums in seats factor. Worried some will look back and view this as having been an opportunity to change things up in that regard. Also, Clement was given quite a lot of money to spend at Derby, and not sure he will have that here.

Well the club could have quite easily appointed a lower level manager to change the style yet again. Traditional smash and grab sit back, soak up the pressure, then try and hit them on the break a la McDermott.

Not really sure that would be wise in a relegation battle. Then we drop and bums on seats would be worse still.

Personally in the position we are in I would much rather we control the game and possession and hone our skills to pass, move, create chances, score more and concede less.