CONFIMRED - Paul Clement appointed as new Royals boss

173 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Paul Clement appointed as new Royals boss

by Hound » 25 Mar 2018 09:31

Snowflake Royal Any chance we could not spend our time dredging up past criticism of our new manager and get behind him to see how he does over the next 18 - 25 games before complaining?

It’s a fair point JMW. Could easily find as many positive posts about him and plaster them all over here as well

Give the chap a chance

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Mar 2018 10:46

Hound
Snowflake Royal Any chance we could not spend our time dredging up past criticism of our new manager and get behind him to see how he does over the next 18 - 25 games before complaining?

It’s a fair point JMW. Could easily find as many positive posts about him and plaster them all over here as well

Give the chap a chance

I'd like to add that how he did previously is a discussion only relevant until he got our gig officially. Something to talk about in deciding whether he would be a good choice to manage us.

Once he's got the job, who gives a flying one how many games he won at Swansea or what type of football he played at Derby. All that matters is will he win games at Reading and will we play better under him. The only test of that is what happens in our games.

We need to accept he's manager no matter what we would have preferred, understand he's got a lot to do and not expect immediate improvement and just support him, loudly.

Lets do everything we can to help to give him the best chance. And if we're in the bottom 6 with no sign of improvement 10 games into next season, (or bottom half of League One) then we can sharpen some knives and roll out the criticism.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Mar 2018 10:50

Hound

Give the chap a chance

I'd like to add that talk of how he did elsewhere and whether he would be a good appointment is for before he got the job. Now he has it, all the matters is how he performs here. Swansea and Derby are irrelevant.

And given the clustershambles we are, we shouldn't expect a quick turnaround. He should get at least 18 games before anyone decides to get on his back.

For now, we should all just pull together, turn up and be loud to do what we can tochange the atmosphere and give him the best chance to do well we can.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Mar 2018 11:30

Snowflake Royal
Hound

Give the chap a chance

I'd like to add that talk of how he did elsewhere and whether he would be a good appointment is for before he got the job. Now he has it, all the matters is how he performs here. Swansea and Derby are irrelevant.

And given the clustershambles we are, we shouldn't expect a quick turnaround. He should get at least 18 games before anyone decides to get on his back.

For now, we should all just pull together, turn up and be loud to do what we can tochange the atmosphere and give him the best chance to do well we can.

Yes I agree. The QPR game is huge. Win and we may have a decent gap between us and the bottom three. Lose and with Villa away three days later we could be bottom three on the evening of Bank holiday Monday.
We need a positive atmosphere on Friday. QPR are bringing around 2000 so there is likely to be a decent gate of around 18,000/19,000. However the players must do their bit. They have to be up for the fight.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Mar 2018 13:01

Even if they're not, we've got to try get things moving in the right direction.

In fact I'd suggest expecting more of the same in the short term.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Mar 2018 13:51

Snowflake Royal Even if they're not, we've got to try get things moving in the right direction.

In fact I'd suggest expecting more of the same in the short term.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best! Logic would suggest you’re right, the players are all so low in confidence. I don’t know if it’s blind optimism but I have a sneaky suspicion we might see a really good performance (new manager bounce and all that), which means because I think that now we won’t. :(

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Mar 2018 14:11

Zip However the players must do their bit. They have to be up for the fight.

Slightly tangential but something I found interesting; when it comes to support and croud involvement there’s always debate - one should blindly chant, sing, others argue that it takes two to tango and the players need to give the fans something to sing about.

In the post match reaction from the Man U v Sevilla loss, Ferdinand specifically said it was quiet in the stadium and it was up to the players.

You’ve got to give the fans something to chant about, this stadium tonight was quiet and that’s down to the players. The players on the pitch have to inspire the stadium at times.

You always get managers and players reiterate that the players thrive on the support and how important it is, but seldom do you get players - past or present, that admit they have a duty and responsibility in engaging that support.

This was what Stam failed to comprehend and it wasn’t a surprise that attendances and support has dropped so drastically this season. Last season you could already tell a huge portion of the fan base was unenthusiastic, with several games atmosphere feeling like a loss even though we had won (I recall the wolves home game particularly in that sense). The style of play didn’t and certainly now doesn’t inspire, it’s too pedestrian, lacklustre and insipid. Like it or not, sideways passes in your own half followed by the occasional exploration of the opposition’s half just doesn’t inspire.

Biscuitman62

by Biscuitman62 » 25 Mar 2018 15:12

Welcome to Paul Clement. I wish you the best of luck with Reading Football Club.
Relieved that Jaap Stam has finally been put out of his misery. Sad but it had to happen (3 months ago IMO).
Now with the appointment with our new boss coming so swiftly after we have cause to be optimistic over our chances of avoiding the drop.A week ago personally I dared not to think about it as i could'nt see anything.
As for being either underwhelmed/overwhelmed I am neither. Way back when Tommy Burns was installed as our boss I remember thinking at least we will play good attacking football as he had that reputation at Celtic. Everyone who has follwed the Club on or before that period will be aware of how it could'nt be further than the truth (barring a few games of course).
Since then I decided that the best policy is to support whoever the manager is and see how they go before getting an opinion on them (apart from Colin, McClaren, Cotterill, Redknapp of course), then who knows this may turn out to be a very shrewd move by the Club. Fingers crossed.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 25 Mar 2018 15:33

Hound

Give the chap a chance

If you can find positive comments that aren't 'he'll make you solid and effective even if it is a bit boring', then feel free to post some :wink:

It might cheer me up :D

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 25 Mar 2018 15:45

I'm hoping that PC will be a success for us, but l wonder if recent events at Scunthorpe provides an opportunity to recruit an experienced, young, upcoming assistant with very direct league one experience???

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Mar 2018 16:34

John Madejski's Wallet
Hound

Give the chap a chance

If you can find positive comments that aren't 'he'll make you solid and effective even if it is a bit boring', then feel free to post some :wink:

It might cheer me up :D

II'd rather focus on what he does here here and now than what anyone says about how he did elsewhere in the past, positive or negative.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 25 Mar 2018 17:20

Snowflake Royal
Hound

Give the chap a chance

I'd like to add that nobody has elected you as forum moderator and it really isn't your place to be telling people what they should or shouldn't be discussing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Mar 2018 17:50

P!ssed Off
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Give the chap a chance

I'd like to add that nobody has elected you as forum moderator and it really isn't your place to be telling people what they should or shouldn't be discussing.

FYI, moderators aren't usually elected. It was a request, and an opinion. On a discussion board. Where people discuss their opinions.
HTH

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Mar 2018 17:55

Snowflake Royal
P!ssed Off
Snowflake Royal I'd like to add that talk of how he did elsewhere and whether he would be a good appointment is for before he got the job. Now he has it, all the matters is how he performs here. Swansea and Derby are irrelevant.

FYI, moderators aren't usually elected. It was a request, and an opinion. On a discussion board. Where people discuss their opinions.
HTH

Maybe we should start electing them. You know, start the trend.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 25 Mar 2018 18:28

Snowflake Royal
P!ssed Off
Snowflake Royal I'd like to add that talk of how he did elsewhere and whether he would be a good appointment is for before he got the job. Now he has it, all the matters is how he performs here. Swansea and Derby are irrelevant.

HTH

Do everyone a favour: stop spamming threads, telling people their posts are irrelevant and you want to talk about something else.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Mar 2018 19:35

P!ssed Off
Snowflake Royal
P!ssed Off

HTH

Do everyone a favour: stop spamming threads, telling people their posts are irrelevant and you want to talk about something else.

:lol:

The irony.

double d

by double d » 25 Mar 2018 20:41

Snowflake Royal
P!ssed Off

HTH

Ian, how come you are posting on here when you have ignored
Leon

Request for evidence about your slanderous claims?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 26 Mar 2018 03:22

Talk of how he did elsewhere and whether he would be a good appointment is for before he got the job. Now he has it, all the matters is how he performs here. Swansea and Derby are irrelevant.

It was a request, and an opinion. On a discussion board. Where people discuss their opinions. HTH

Well, yeah it's opinion. Like most. Except, it wasn't necessarily about footy. More an opinion about other fans, directing them to do whatever. Rather than just coming in, having a footy take, and get out.

Not huge on steering debate, framing stuff, telling others what to do. If you personally have no interest in a discussion, or think its irrelevant, you are free to ignore it.

On a msg board, you type. Doesn't mean you won't still go to games, or not be supportive. Indeed, you can be positive in here, yet not cheer at games, or even go at all.

Not sure it's binary. One can still 'give him a chance', yet still discuss his past. Its not realistic, really. Footy fans the world over discuss their manager's past. Always have, and likely always will. He's been in the industry, and I'd be shocked if Clement didn't expect it.

(Edit: Please don't respond with 'fair enough'. Its a cop out. Way too much of that in here. In my 'opinion'. :P)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Mar 2018 07:54

Denver Royal

Talk of how he did elsewhere and whether he would be a good appointment is for before he got the job. Now he has it, all the matters is how he performs here. Swansea and Derby are irrelevant.

It was a request, and an opinion. On a discussion board. Where people discuss their opinions. HTH

Well, yeah it's opinion. Like most. Except, it wasn't necessarily about footy. More an opinion about other fans, directing them to do whatever. Rather than just coming in, having a footy take, and get out.

Not huge on steering debate, framing stuff, telling others what to do. If you personally have no interest in a discussion, or think its irrelevant, you are free to ignore it.

On a msg board, you type. Doesn't mean you won't still go to games, or not be supportive. Indeed, you can be positive in here, yet not cheer at games, or even go at all.

Not sure it's binary. One can still 'give him a chance', yet still discuss his past. Its not realistic, really. Footy fans the world over discuss their manager's past. Always have, and likely always will. He's been in the industry, and I'd be shocked if Clement didn't expect it.

(Edit: Please don't respond with 'fair enough'. Its a cop out. Way too much of that in here. In my 'opinion'. :P)

I'm tired of the toxic negative atmosphere Denverx. I'm a fanof support.

This forum constantly talks about what fans should do. It's not contravirsiAl. JMW, top chap that he is has taken it in the spirit it is meant, water off a ducks back. It's only PO who has decided to wade in and take issue, and that's just because it's me.

NeilD

by NeilD » 26 Mar 2018 11:00

Biscuitman62 Relieved that Jaap Stam has finally been put out of his misery. Sad but it had to happen (3 months ago IMO).

Agreed but at least he has the International break to get his staff appointed/set up and a chance to look at some of his players rather than a mid-week appointment with a weekend game to panic over.

173 posts