CONFIMRED - Paul Clement appointed as new Royals boss

173 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Paul Clement appointed as new Royals boss

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Mar 2018 13:21

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth Does anyone think 4 training sessions will be sufficient for PC to know what team to put out for QPR?
I hope he doesnt go by how they have previously performed in other seasons. McCleary for one is obviously off pace.

He also has a broken ankle........

:oops: completely missed that..

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Mar 2018 13:22

genome
paultheroyal What I need to know is...did he bomb Martin and Barrow out of their clubs? If so that would make it interesting particularly as Barrow will win Player of the Season this year.

I think Martin fell out of favour with him (Derby had a ton of strikers), Barrow never really got a chance because of the quality of wingers in the team ahead of him. I don't think Mo will have that problem here.

He allegedly fell out with Martin over non-footballing matters, which may also have contributed to him leaving Derby.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Mar 2018 13:23

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth Does anyone think 4 training sessions will be sufficient for PC to know what team to put out for QPR?
I hope he doesnt go by how they have previously performed in other seasons. McCleary for one is obviously off pace.

To be honest he has played like he has no ankles this season.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 23 Mar 2018 13:25

mildly whelmed and cautiously optimistic
its a CV to die for as coach, and as a manager he has a track record of making quick impacts at struggling clubs.

time to get behind the club imo.
hopefully the crowds might pick up a bit and the atmosphere improve

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Mar 2018 13:25

I hope he's going to be a success. Let's get some points on the board, stay up and see how pre season goes.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 23 Mar 2018 13:26

TheLawnMowerMan Wikipedia (the font of all knowledge) has his younger brother born in Reading. Does this mean that Paul grew up in the mighty borough that he now hopes to save?

has defo lived in an RG postcode. spent some time living in crowthorne, (yay)
where his father apparently committed suicide by drinking weedkiller :shock:

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 23 Mar 2018 13:40

Not the bold new direction of high tempo attacking football so many of us were hoping for. But we needed a manager fast, one that would not need to revolutionise things to bring about improvement in the short term, so I can see the logic.

His pedigree is outstanding (Real, PSG, the lot from Stamford Bridge). We must assume his first two managerial posts were tracer shots and he has learnt a lot.

All in all, a cautious welcome to an appointment that makes sense even if doesn't delight.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Mar 2018 13:44

Maneki Neko
TheLawnMowerMan Wikipedia (the font of all knowledge) has his younger brother born in Reading. Does this mean that Paul grew up in the mighty borough that he now hopes to save?

Yup, QPR legend Dave Clement

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Mar 2018 13:45

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 23 Mar 2018 13:49

genome
Maneki Neko

Yup, QPR legend Dave Clement

At 34 years old :shock:

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 23 Mar 2018 14:01

Maneki Neko

As chants go, mate, it needs a bit of work.

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 23 Mar 2018 14:05

genome
McDermolenko @ReadingFC:

We can confirm that Andries Ulderink and Said Bakkati have also parted company with Reading Football Club.

We would like to place on record our thanks to Andries and Said for their hard work and commitment and wish both the very best of luck in the future.

No surprise. Any word on who Clement's bringing in?

If he can drag him away from Eupen, Makalele could end up here.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 23 Mar 2018 14:14

Pepe the Horseman
genome
paultheroyal What I need to know is...did he bomb Martin and Barrow out of their clubs? If so that would make it interesting particularly as Barrow will win Player of the Season this year.

I think Martin fell out of favour with him (Derby had a ton of strikers), Barrow never really got a chance because of the quality of wingers in the team ahead of him. I don't think Mo will have that problem here.

He allegedly fell out with Martin over non-footballing matters, which may also have contributed to him leaving Derby.

Thought about this earlier. Read that him and Martin had a mild falling out when Martin wasn't scoring on a poor run but Clement praised him that he was still contributing to the team and continued to play him. Make that as you will though and surely will be other rumors popping up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Paul Clement appointed as new Royals boss

by Sutekh » 23 Mar 2018 14:15

Only one Trevor Morley No mention of contract length. I wonder if that is because it’s just till end if season. Can’t see clement in league one...

Ron said it is a long term deal but did not specify the length despite being asked.

One of the good things I heard from Paul is that while he pays due diligence to opponents he is much more concerned about getting his team organised and playing his way which hopefully means the fiddling about with team selections that we've seen over the last few seasons will be over once Paul gets a largely fit squad (and this miserable season is over).

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Mar 2018 14:32

Sutekh
Only one Trevor Morley No mention of contract length. I wonder if that is because it’s just till end if season. Can’t see clement in league one...

Ron said it is a long term deal but did not specify the length despite being asked.

He did. 3 years.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Mar 2018 14:36

Sutekh

One of the good things I heard from Paul is that while he pays due diligence to opponents he is much more concerned about getting his team organised and playing his way which hopefully means the fiddling about with team selections that we've seen over the last few seasons will be over once Paul gets a largely fit squad (and this miserable season is over).

He also made the point that he will be looking for a balanced style, not a defensive one and not an all out attacking approach that will leave the side too open.

He also said that in the past he's paid attention to fans views on playing style. That might indicate that he's taken on-board any constructive criticism of his teams being too defensive in the past.

JR

by JR » 23 Mar 2018 14:40

I think this is an absolutely superb appointment.

Clement has got massive potential and it just feels right to have him at Reading - a perfect match.

You certainly can’t knock someone with experience at PSG, Bayern, Chelsea and Real!!

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 23 Mar 2018 14:58

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

To be honest he has played like he has no ankles since he joined Reading.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Mar 2018 15:01

JR I think this is an absolutely superb appointment.

Clement has got massive potential and it just feels right to have him at Reading - a perfect match.

You certainly can’t knock someone with experience at PSG, Bayern, Chelsea and Real!!

He has the contacts, both here and abroad, which should enable access to some players that we otherwise wouldn't have. And if we somehow get promoted, he has PL experience, too. You never know how things will pan out, but he brings a fair amount to the table. Will be interesting to see how many of the existing players he likes, or doesn't. Heard he's a big Chris Gunter fan. :wink:

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 23 Mar 2018 15:20

Ron Gourlay appoints old Chelsea contact with less than sparkling record in hot seat and no sign of anyone else being interviewed. Ah, the ex-Chelsea connection that has served us well in the past with Porterfield, Rogers, Clarke.

Still, this one could turn out brilliantly. Keep us up PC and make your name as a manager.

173 posts