Whats Clement got to work with ?

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Whats Clement got to work with ?

by Westwood52 » 28 Mar 2018 20:36

IMHO

Mannone: Bit disappointing really, no absolute howlers-but no Al Habsi game saver, and took Stam's passing out at the back and putting us under pressure a bit too literally-probably cost four or so goals this season.Probably worth a return, with instructions to hoof it when required.

Jakkola: Oh dear, I was shocked to find he was 30. Takes an age to clear the ball-almost cost us a goal-last home game & there have been errors, but no absolute howlers. TBF more likely to hoof it (albeit slowly) than Mannone-confidence looks a bit shot. Is Beasant still there ? Has to take a fair amount of blame.

Watson: Not seen all season-how come he's never been fit ? Did show some promise last season.
Gunter: Deffo his worst season at the Club , after several years consistancy-while never reaching any heights. Seems totally disillusioned-but has to start.
Obita:LB has been a disaster area. No great defender, but a genuine overlapper. If he hadn't been crocked early doors-might have given Stam some options elsewhere-out for the season.
Richards: Very promising-good all round full back-but learning his game.Stam said he was out for the season-but there are rumours he is now fit.
Blackett: Given that we should not waste Bacuna at FB-has had to fill in-not really a FB and prone to lack of concentration-but has top level experience, is a big unit and has a peach of a cross field ball. Should be at CB rather than Ilori-Hanley would not have got that goal with him marking him against Norwich.

Ilori:A ball playing CB, but prone to horrible misjudgement and for a big unit soft as s**t. Maybe should be centre mid ?
McShane: Like Gunts, has had a poor season, often caught out when players run at him, and no longer all conquering in the air-not seen since the Stevenage away farce-althoughif hes fit has to come back.
Elphick: The moment he got crocked after 30 minutes, we were f****d-a genuine honest pro, who leads from the front-if hes fit, has to play-but when is that going to be ? Really need him.
Moore: Not at his best this season, but one of seven top championship players at the Club.The West Ham/Celtic talk really did screw him over.If Clement can get him on top line, a one man defence.

Quinn: Not seen (apart from half an hour in League Cup) all season-unless Stam really didnt like him, he must have a career ending injury. If he's fit, just the player we need.
Joey: A walking red card disaster-however did he get another contract ?
Evans: Has to play in front of the defence-comfortable on the ball and the odd incisive pass-but painfully slow, which gets him into trouble.
Bacuna: One of the seven class acts-cannot afford to waste him at FB. If Clement can get into his head-he can rev up our midfield-big time-I would always have him in midfield-where he can do a lot of damage to the opposition.
Clement: Bit of a show pony-why did we buy him. Looks and plays a lot like Piazon, although not as technically gifted, but a lot more physical.
Kelly: Apart from the odd horror misplaced pass-has a lot of ability and is always showing for the ball;even in our darkest moments. Unfortunately his lack of inches, means that he has to put in so much effort, that he is at times beyond his physical limit
Swift: Another of the seven, started last season like a house on fire, got injured (for England) and has never been the same since. Slow but hugely gifted. Surely he has to start, rather than come on for the last 30 minutes-as we never come from behind. We can no longer wrap him in cotton wool and hope for a better day. A win on Saturday, even if it does finish him, would be huge.

Macca: Again one of the seven, but an accumulation of injuries, looks to have finished him. Awful season, from one of our greatest players.
Harriot: Been out all season, but has started playing again-startling pace-must be worth a go on the bench.
Barrow: Another of the seven.Our one match winner-if Clement can get him revved up, capable of winning games on his own. Strangely teams have concentrated on Aluko, and not recognised how dangerous he can be.
Alukho: Another one of the seven, but has had a horror season. Why ? Invariably boxed in, and has had no idea how to get out of the mess. If he can only get to his best form, for the next 8 , he can terrorise teams with his ability.

Compared to the start of the season, when we had no strikers, we now have five.

Mendes: A big lump, with a bit of skill-been out nearly all season-ditto Harriot-if he is at all fit should be on the bench.
Kermit: Awful season-unless the ball is within 6 inches of him forget it. Why did he get a new contract-looks shot.
Smith: Shows a bit of promise-but should have spent the season on lone-to hone his skills at a lower level.
Martin: Last of the seven; seen him absolutely boss us-whenever he has been in opposition-he is a class act-but has proved to be totaly ineffective, and not on the same wavelength. Can Clement get him going ?
Bod: TBF has done exactly what it says on the tin-got his 10 goals and works his socks off-but very limited, compared say to the Kermit of last season. Was a panic buy when Brian Tev realised he couldnt get anyone else.

Meighte: Should never have been allowed out on loan-like Smith, there would have been times during our darkest moments when he would have been useful.
Gravenberch and Meisner were huge mistakes. My apologies to the young kids who have reputedly shown a lot of promise-but Holmes apart, I have never seen them play.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Whats Clement got to work with ?

by andrew1957 » 28 Mar 2018 22:41

Westwood52 IMHO

Mannone: Bit disappointing really, no absolute howlers-but no Al Habsi game saver, and took Stam's passing out at the back and putting us under pressure a bit too literally-probably cost four or so goals this season.Probably worth a return, with instructions to hoof it when required.

Jakkola: Oh dear, I was shocked to find he was 30. Takes an age to clear the ball-almost cost us a goal-last home game & there have been errors, but no absolute howlers. TBF more likely to hoof it (albeit slowly) than Mannone-confidence looks a bit shot. Is Beasant still there ? Has to take a fair amount of blame.

Watson: Not seen all season-how come he's never been fit ? Did show some promise last season.
Gunter: Deffo his worst season at the Club , after several years consistancy-while never reaching any heights. Seems totally disillusioned-but has to start.
Obita:LB has been a disaster area. No great defender, but a genuine overlapper. If he hadn't been crocked early doors-might have given Stam some options elsewhere-out for the season.
Richards: Very promising-good all round full back-but learning his game.Stam said he was out for the season-but there are rumours he is now fit.
Blackett: Given that we should not waste Bacuna at FB-has had to fill in-not really a FB and prone to lack of concentration-but has top level experience, is a big unit and has a peach of a cross field ball. Should be at CB rather than Ilori-Hanley would not have got that goal with him marking him against Norwich.

Ilori:A ball playing CB, but prone to horrible misjudgement and for a big unit soft as s**t. Maybe should be centre mid ?
McShane: Like Gunts, has had a poor season, often caught out when players run at him, and no longer all conquering in the air-not seen since the Stevenage away farce-althoughif hes fit has to come back.
Elphick: The moment he got crocked after 30 minutes, we were f****d-a genuine honest pro, who leads from the front-if hes fit, has to play-but when is that going to be ? Really need him.
Moore: Not at his best this season, but one of seven top championship players at the Club.The West Ham/Celtic talk really did screw him over.If Clement can get him on top line, a one man defence.

Quinn: Not seen (apart from half an hour in League Cup) all season-unless Stam really didnt like him, he must have a career ending injury. If he's fit, just the player we need.
Evans: Has to play in front of the defence-comfortable on the ball and the odd incisive pass-but painfully slow, which gets him into trouble.
Bacuna: One of the seven class acts-cannot afford to waste him at FB. If Clement can get into his head-he can rev up our midfield-big time-I would always have him in midfield-where he can do a lot of damage to the opposition.
Clement: Bit of a show pony-why did we buy him. Looks and plays a lot like Piazon, although not as technically gifted, but a lot more physical.
Kelly: Apart from the odd horror misplaced pass-has a lot of ability and is always showing for the ball;even in our darkest moments. Unfortunately his lack of inches, means that he has to put in so much effort, that he is at times beyond his physical limit
Swift: Another of the seven, started last season like a house on fire, got injured (for England) and has never been the same since. Slow but hugely gifted. Surely he has to start, rather than come on for the last 30 minutes-as we never come from behind. We can no longer wrap him in cotton wool and hope for a better day. A win on Saturday, even if it does finish him, would be huge.

Macca: Again one of the seven, but an accumulation of injuries, looks to have finished him. Awful season, from one of our greatest players.
Harriot: Been out all season, but has started playing again-startling pace-must be worth a go on the bench.
Barrow: Another of the seven.Our one match winner-if Clement can get him revved up, capable of winning games on his own. Strangely teams have concentrated on Aluko, and not recognised how dangerous he can be.
Alukho: Another one of the seven, but has had a horror season. Why ? Invariably boxed in, and has had no idea how to get out of the mess. If he can only get to his best form, for the next 8 , he can terrorise teams with his ability.

Mendes: A big lump, with a bit of skill-been out nearly all season-ditto Harriot-if he is at all fit should be on the bench.
Kermit: Awful season-unless the ball is within 6 inches of him forget it. Why did he get a new contract-looks shot.
Smith: Shows a bit of promise-but should have spent the season on lone-to hone his skills at a lower level.
Martin: Last of the seven; seen him absolutely boss us-whenever he has been in opposition-he is a class act-but has proved to be totaly ineffective, and not on the same wavelength. Can Clement get him going ?
Bod: TBF has done exactly what it says on the tin-got his 10 goals and works his socks off-but very limited, compared say to the Kermit of last season. Was a panic buy when Brian Tev realised he couldnt get anyone else.

Meite: Should never have been allowed out on loan-like Smith, there would have been times during our darkest moments when he would have been useful.
Gravenberch and Weiser were huge mistakes. My apologies to the young kids who have reputedly shown a lot of promise-but Holmes apart, I have never seen them play.

Pretty good summary to be fair.

Although I have been no fan of Stam's incredibly boring style of play you have to say that both he and RFC have been incredibly unlucky with injuries this season. We have simply never been able to field a settled team (although Stam never seemed to do so even when players were fit so it is hard to know if it made much difference).

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Mar 2018 22:44

To be honest I don't think I can judge any of the players' abilities as they weren't themselves this season after the playoff heartache, the injuries, the horrible directionless possession football and the downward spiral of confidence all of which caused the players to underperform massively. We haven't seen the best of any of our new signings and have seen the worst of our old boys.

A change in manager and ethos and spirit can transform players overnight like for example Brian did when he took over from Brenda and brought in Roberts.

I think Clement has a very very talented squad to play with and have a lot of confidence that he'll turn things around but we can't go judging them based on this season's showings.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Mar 2018 22:49

Westwood52 IMHO

Meighte: Should never have been allowed out on loan-like Smith, there would have been times during our darkest moments when he would have been useful.
Gravenberch and Meisner were huge mistakes. My apologies to the young kids who have reputedly shown a lot of promise-but Holmes apart, I have never seen them play.

I am a huge fan of Meighte........

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 28 Mar 2018 23:17

Old Man Andrews I am a huge fan of Meighte........

and Meisner

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Mar 2018 23:43

Mike Hunt

and Meisner

To be honest I'm a huge fan of anyone whose name begins with Mei...

Leandro Meicuna, Liam Meioore and Liam Meilly are my other favourite players.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 29 Mar 2018 02:28

Old Man Andrews
Mike Hunt

and Meisner

:lol:

John Meift is a personal fav of mine. Jon Dadi Meivarsson sure does bang them in, but he doesn't compare to 16/17 Yann Meimorgant.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 29 Mar 2018 08:55

Good summary, but a bit unfair on Pelle Meillant. Don’t forget, he’s come into a complete shambles of a team! He could come good

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Mar 2018 10:53

Westwood52 IMHO

Couldn't be bothered to read all your waffle, especially when you're digging out the keeper and claiming Al Habsi used to make game saving saves.

Are you asking if Beasant is still there because you'd like to see him in the sticks instead?

Very poor posting.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 29 Mar 2018 13:51

As for the OP, Clement has more than enough to work with when you look at the talent in the squad. There are some basket cases, like Aluko but I can't see him getting much game time under Clement. Stam was unable to instill the confidence and belief required and this coupled with a complete lack of any discernible game plan is why we've been so poor imo, not any lack of talent.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Mar 2018 14:33

Re the unfortunate injuries, sometimes that can be put down to the conditioning and preparation.

I'm a strong believer that Niall Clark played a huge part in our success under Pardew and Coppell because of the conditioning of our players. Not only were we regarded as one of the fittest teams in the league but our injury record was amazing whilst he was here and after when the players were still, presumably, following the principles put in place by Clark.

Hopefully Clement will put things in place that will see our injury record improve next season, starting with a proper pre-season which Stam didn't deliver.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Mar 2018 15:23

Hoop Blah Re the unfortunate injuries, sometimes that can be put down to the conditioning and preparation.

I'm a strong believer that Niall Clark played a huge part in our success under Pardew and Coppell because of the conditioning of our players. Not only were we regarded as one of the fittest teams in the league but our injury record was amazing whilst he was here and after when the players were still, presumably, following the principles put in place by Clark.

Hopefully Clement will put things in place that will see our injury record improve next season, starting with a proper pre-season which Stam didn't deliver.

Isn't that what Karl Halabi will be in charge of? He was head of "Physical Performance" at Derby, and he looked after Strength and conditioning here before Nigel Adkins ousted him in favour of Nick Harvey.

Am definitely hoping things will improve there, it's been pretty terrible this last while

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Mar 2018 15:41

muirinho Isn't that what Karl Halabi will be in charge of? He was head of "Physical Performance" at Derby, and he looked after Strength and conditioning here before Nigel Adkins ousted him in favour of Nick Harvey.

Am definitely hoping things will improve there, it's been pretty terrible this last while

It will be yes. IIRC he was brought in by Rodgers and they'd worked together at Chelsea, which is presumably where he and Clement came to know each other too. I'm not sure how good we were fitness wise during his previous stint but it would seem we're starting from a low bar right now.

He's a local lad too, which is always nice.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Mar 2018 16:07

I remember people complaining about Halabi, but we won a lot of late points and we didn''t have injury crises as bad as this season.

Clark was a step ahead of everyone else but he now seems to be spreading his time between university lecturing and working in India. I think every club has cottoned on to the importance of sport science now. No doubt that he and Goodman gave us a real leg-up.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 29 Mar 2018 16:13

Lets hope they get a proper training regime going with training the day before a game for a start.

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 29 Mar 2018 17:20

I believe Halabi is more into coaching these days rather than fitness work.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 29 Mar 2018 18:10

Old Man Andrews
Mike Hunt

and Meisner

Meissi , got in before our resident northern comedian says it :D

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Mar 2018 18:21

I can understand why the negativity is ooozing in those assessments but we have a new manager and maybe, just maybe we may see a different attitude from them, and hopefully a less negative style. Aluko may even wake up and look like a 7.5 mill player. If I have to say what area are we weak in that PC maybe scratching his head, its the striking department. Stam really f*cked up not buying decent goalscorer......and relying on a 36year old injured player was just plain stupid.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 29 Mar 2018 23:26

Westwood52 IMHO

Agree with most of your comments, but I like Clement--he's young and has potential, in my opinion.

I can't say Martin is totally ineffective. He was best player on the pitch second half against Boro and scored a great goal. Not sure why that has fizzled out, but he looks slightly overweight and I suspect he's carrying injuries.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 30 Mar 2018 19:26

Mannone: Bit disappointing really, no absolute howlers-but no Al Habsi game saver

:oops: for you OP :P