6 years ago today

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
WAZZOCK

6 years ago today

by WAZZOCK » 31 Mar 2018 09:36

https://youtu.be/THs915bDkyI

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17497330

Second-placed Reading moved four points ahead of West Ham in the race for the Premier League with a crucial victory at Upton Park.

West Ham took an early lead through Carlton Cole before two goals in two minutes from Kaspars Gorkss and Noel Hunt gave Reading a half-time lead.

Ian Harte made it 3-1 from the penalty spot before Ricardo Vaz Te's header pulled one back for the hosts.

But Mikele Leigertwood's shot late on sealed victory for Reading.

The Hammers have slipped out of the automatic promotion spots at the expense of the Berkshire club, following a miserable run of one win in their last seven matches.

It has prompted an angry response from their disgruntled fans, with boss Sam Allardyce being forced to defend his team's style of play.

Cole broke the deadlock for the Hammers in the ninth minute with a left-footed finish after a headed knockdown from Kevin Nolan, who had hit a post just seconds earlier.

Gorkss headed home Harte's inswinging corner in the 44th minute before Hunt converted on the stroke of half-time to give the Royals the lead.

Harte added a penalty after 59 minutes to further stretch their advantage, but the Hammers responded with a Vaz Te header after 77 minutes.

But Leigertwood's strike six minutes from time eventually wrapped up the win for Reading.

Allardyce's men are now four points behind their rivals with only six games to play.

'10 minutes of madness' - Allardyce
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce: "We shot ourselves in the foot.

"We gifted them three goals. We can't afford to make those errors and that's ultimately why we got beaten.

"To keep up with Reading we have to win six on the trot."

Reading manager Brian McDermott: "It's three points, that's all it is.

"It's never easy to go 1-0 down here but we stayed in the game, got ourselves a goal and to go in 2-1 up was massive.

"Then in the second half I felt we deserved to win. But I've been around this game a long time so I'm not cock-a-hoop yet."

What a day

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: 6 years ago today

by CountryRoyal » 31 Mar 2018 09:48

Jesus christ where does the time go. :shock:

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 31 Mar 2018 09:51

CountryRoyal Jesus christ where does the time go. :shock:

I agree

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Mar 2018 10:28

My favourite ever away day. Better than Southampton IMO.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 31 Mar 2018 12:05

WAZZOCK

https://youtu.be/THs915bDkyI

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17497330

Second-placed Reading moved four points ahead of West Ham in the race for the Premier League with a crucial victory at Upton Park.

West Ham took an early lead through Carlton Cole before two goals in two minutes from Kaspars Gorkss and Noel Hunt gave Reading a half-time lead.

Ian Harte made it 3-1 from the penalty spot before Ricardo Vaz Te's header pulled one back for the hosts.

But Mikele Leigertwood's shot late on sealed victory for Reading.

The Hammers have slipped out of the automatic promotion spots at the expense of the Berkshire club, following a miserable run of one win in their last seven matches.

It has prompted an angry response from their disgruntled fans, with boss Sam Allardyce being forced to defend his team's style of play.

Cole broke the deadlock for the Hammers in the ninth minute with a left-footed finish after a headed knockdown from Kevin Nolan, who had hit a post just seconds earlier.

Gorkss headed home Harte's inswinging corner in the 44th minute before Hunt converted on the stroke of half-time to give the Royals the lead.

Harte added a penalty after 59 minutes to further stretch their advantage, but the Hammers responded with a Vaz Te header after 77 minutes.

But Leigertwood's strike six minutes from time eventually wrapped up the win for Reading.

Allardyce's men are now four points behind their rivals with only six games to play.

'10 minutes of madness' - Allardyce
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce: "We shot ourselves in the foot.

"We gifted them three goals. We can't afford to make those errors and that's ultimately why we got beaten.

"To keep up with Reading we have to win six on the trot."

Reading manager Brian McDermott: "It's three points, that's all it is.

"It's never easy to go 1-0 down here but we stayed in the game, got ourselves a goal and to go in 2-1 up was massive.

"Then in the second half I felt we deserved to win. But I've been around this game a long time so I'm not cock-a-hoop yet."

What a day

Possibly my favourite ever away day.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 31 Mar 2018 14:49

To have this and Southampton within a fortnight of each other was incredible, not to mention the Brighton smash and grab.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Mar 2018 18:46

WAZZOCK To have this and Southampton within a fortnight of each other was incredible, not to mention the Brighton smash and grab.

It was an amazing few weeks. Always remember the dick Nolan giving us the fingers when they got a goal back and thought he was a dick ever since.

Southampton tops it for me mainly because only time I have gone totally mental off my seat, down the stairs and across the concourse area to where the players were celebrating. Made all the sweeter for me because surrounded by so many saints fans at work.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 31 Mar 2018 19:19

Incredible that after the Southampton game we had got 43 points from a possible 48.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 02 Apr 2018 08:36

paultheroyal
WAZZOCK To have this and Southampton within a fortnight of each other was incredible, not to mention the Brighton smash and grab.

It was an amazing few weeks. Always remember the dick Nolan giving us the fingers when they got a goal back and thought he was a dick ever since.

Southampton tops it for me mainly because only time I have gone totally mental off my seat, down the stairs and across the concourse area to where the players were celebrating. Made all the sweeter for me because surrounded by so many saints fans at work.

We were spoilt in that period, but it’s fantastic to look back on when you need a football related boost.

I was similar to you at Southampton. When the second went in I was at my seat on the very back row. By the time the third went in I was on the front row accidentally kicking one of the photographers (I was very apologetic).

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1