MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (h) sponsored by the curse of Saturday

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (h) sponsored by the curse of Saturday

by seahawk10 » 07 Apr 2018 16:57

Come on URZ!!!!

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 07 Apr 2018 16:58

FT!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Apr 2018 16:58

What a relief. Killing me these games...

Well done RFC and Paul clement

One more of these scabby 1-0 wins should be enough

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 07 Apr 2018 16:58

FT 1-0 to the good guys!

Well done lads!

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 07 Apr 2018 16:59

Libertine FT!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

I agree

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Apr 2018 17:01

Well thats a relief. Ilori has been superb as of late.

Edit - Moore has a rating of 10 on whoscored for that game..... 21 aerials won....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Apr 2018 17:03

NewCorkSeth Well thats a relief. Ilori has been superb as of late.

Does make you wonder quite what happened to him under Stam - fell to pieces

Think there is a very good player in there.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Apr 2018 17:05

Hound

Perhaps it took some proper game time? Get used to being with Moore, build a connection. I notice him and Moore gave each other a little cuddle just before kick off to psych themselves up.

It could be Clement is reaping the rewards of the work put into their partnership under Stam?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Apr 2018 17:13

Much better.

What was up with the group in the south stand and why did they have a mega phone?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Apr 2018 17:22

Ascotexgunner
JR In the non away half of the South Stand there is a small group of maybe 40 Reading fans who are standing up and singing throughout the first half.

Is this our standing area experiment?

Or is it a special Armed Forces thing (their flag has an RAF logo I think)?

Armed forces....or Mods day out.....Strange area to seat them. They stick out like a sore thumb.

I was in that group. It was a test to see if there can be an atmosphere in that area. The club may be doing something to the area around Y26 so they want to see if putting fans on the western end of the south stand could work. It's good to see the club are trying to lift the atmosphere, especially as we needed to win today.

Was a great result by the way. Bar one chance or 2, we were comfortable.

JR

by JR » 07 Apr 2018 17:30

Royal_jimmy
Ascotexgunner
JR In the non away half of the South Stand there is a small group of maybe 40 Reading fans who are standing up and singing throughout the first half.

Armed forces....or Mods day out.....Strange area to seat them. They stick out like a sore thumb.

I was in that group. It was a test to see if there can be an atmosphere in that area. The club may be doing something to the area around Y26 so they want to see if putting fans on the western end of the south stand could work. It's good to see the club are trying to lift the atmosphere, especially as we needed to win today.

Yes, good to see the club are trying to do something different.

I do believe that with the exception of the PA (both him and the lack of quality sound) the club have been excellent off the pitch in the last 18 months. Lots of innovation and focus on the fans.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Apr 2018 17:40

Royal_jimmy
Ascotexgunner

It was good to see, it puzzled me tbh. but how did you guys get selected for that group?

Ugly win again (and a Saturday) but I will take them, it`s all we need for the rest of the season. absolutely stand out showing showing from Moore, won everything in the air. Preston hit the bar twice, but apart from that nothing. amazed they are so high in the table.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 07 Apr 2018 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Apr 2018 17:43

NewCorkSeth
Hound

Perhaps it took some proper game time? Get used to being with Moore, build a connection. I notice him and Moore gave each other a little cuddle just before kick off to psych themselves up.

It could be Clement is reaping the rewards of the work put into their partnership under Stam?

Possibly though think that giving Stam any credit is pushing it a little. After all, he broke up the partnership a number of times - inc bringing in a 17 year old

Ilori had totally lost his confidence prior to QPR culminating in that Norwich performance

Emeraldroyal

by Emeraldroyal » 07 Apr 2018 19:02

Royal_jimmy
Ascotexgunner

My compliments to that group.
I enjoyed the banter with the McShane lookalike. Or was that actually mcshane ?

We have definitely developed a heart and willingness to fight.
If nothing else that seems to be what Clement has brought.
Moore was absolutely immense today. He didn’t put a foot wrong.
Vito is still a tad flakey for my liking but all in all did what he had to do.

That was a massive win today. And the atmosphere despite the low enough crowd, was very good. More of the same please.

The Ref had a shocker. Any contact whatsoever and he was dishing out free kicks.
I echo what somebody else said RE Preston. How they are in the mix for promotion I’ll never know. Some pacey players but no real absolute threat. Granted they hit the woodwork twice but it never really felt like we were under the kosh to me.
There’s plenty of work to do but this far it’s mission accomplished.
Well done Boys 8)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Apr 2018 19:04

Top result, top defending and safe from relegation.

Clement should have been employed in January. Board made an horrendous error keeping Stam in the job as long as they did. Clement has installed confidence back into the players again.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Apr 2018 19:11

Only negative to come from today is the club and a small, minute section of supporters attempting to manufacture an atmosphere. It's completely ridiculous and I was a bit embarrased for them.

Leave the stadium alone. It's completely fake and forced to have this sort of thing happening.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Apr 2018 20:02

Royal_jimmy
Ascotexgunner

That interesting. Explaines why you were all making such noise and jumping up and down when the ball went in that corner. :)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Apr 2018 21:16

JR
NewCorkSeth
JR
Sorry you’ve lost me Seth

Well you've chosen a player most people see the obvious faults with (surprisingly poor at defending, particularly marking, A weak voice for a captain with no obvious on pitch leadership skills) and stated he's your favorite. Hes like spam. Something most people see the obvious faults with but those who like it defend it blindly.

Ah fair enough - thanks for the explanation.

You may be right - I also really like how he pulls his socks up further than others :lol:

Conversely, this really pisses me off. :lol:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Apr 2018 21:17

Old Man Andrews Only negative to come from today is the club and a small, minute section of supporters attempting to manufacture an atmosphere. It's completely ridiculous and I was a bit embarrased for them.

Leave the stadium alone. It's completely fake and forced to have this sort of thing happening.

Was noticable today that when the team flagged with 10 minutes or so to go. That the crowd sensed this. Playing their part in helping the players see the game out. Anything that gives us an edge at home must be used. Little point in becoming another prawn sandwich club where there's little atmosphere.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Apr 2018 21:23

NewCorkSeth
Hound

My theory is that defending requires superb focus. If as a central defender, when your team is in possession you are one of the players most involved and needing to concentrate to keep passing the ball back and forth looking for ways forward, it is mentally draining and you never get any downtime because as soon as there's a turnover in possession you're then completely focused on defending.

On top of that, if you're in possession a lot, you are moving around trying to find a bit of space and carry the ball. This means the whole defence is not maintaining a coherent shape. So when we do lose the ball, they're off balance.

Basically, don't ask your centrebacks to split and be your playmakers. Ask them to stay tight and get rid of the ball quickly and efficiently, and relax between periods of defending.