BFTG - Preston -Home

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Preston -Home

by stealthpapes » 08 Apr 2018 10:01

Sutekh
Zip
genome
A full bottle with a lid on is quite a good weapon.

I know but it’s not been a problem at the club before so I’m surprised it’s deemed to be one now.

Irritating I know, that’s why I always bring a selection of bottle tops with me.

You laugh but at Poland Ukraine back in Marseille in 2016, I got my bag searched and a random stray bottle top confiscated with so much palaver. Sigh.

Anyway, followed remotely. Rather looking forwards to Fulham (a) now. JMW - tempted at all?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Apr 2018 10:30

I like Richards and think he has a good future but he was beaten easily on a number of occasions by Bodin in the first half. Preston did target him as most of their play was down that side of the pitch. I presume Clement thought it was a problem too by taking him off at half time. I’m not aware he picked up an injury. All part of his learning progress.
He did well going forward. He will be fine.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Apr 2018 10:37

NewCorkSeth Mannone - 7 - Played very well again, he made the saves he needed to and didn't make a mistake in possession that I can recall. Why he was dropped is a real mystery to me. Did he fall out with Stam?

Gunter - 7 - I don't know if I'm imagining it but I think he played better at LB. Played well today which I hate saying.

Moore - 8 - MOTM. I would mark him higher but I have to be honest and say that watching the game I had no idea he won 21 headers and thought Ilori was the better of the pair but the statistics prove me wrong here.

Ilori - 8 - He has become undroppable. Put in some quality work in defense. If we keep these 2 theyll be a hell of a Cb partnership to beat next season.

Richards - 7 - I thought he didnt look out of place and was puzzled by the sub at half time. Anyone got a suggestion why?

Richards was getting targeted very effectively by Preston and their good, and much stronger, right winger. He also got precious little support and cover from Barrow so was often caught in two minds as to who to cover. He also had a tendency to push forward inside and then lose the ball, which was leaving us very exposed to the counter attack. Looked best when he was attacking wide down the left. Moore showed his maturity talking and coaching Richards through the first half but IMO it was 100% right to sub him. We would have lost at least one goal down that side in the second half had he stayed on.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Apr 2018 10:45

Snowflake Royal
John Madejski's Wallet
RoyalBlue
If you want to go on a Gunter witch hunt at least try to offer some vaguely credible evidence to support it. It is, of course, complete and utter bollocks to suggest he never got forward today. Nor did he let numerous crosses get in.

:shock: I was screaming at Gunter all second half for repeatedly backing off and letting the crosses come in

I actually thought Richards defended our left better than Gunter and we generally looked more solid first half

Quite enjoyed Clement's performance when he came on. Usually he's featherweight, but he tackled and scrapped and won the ball a lot. Very nice to see.

If you go to whoscored.com and select our game, then Bodin and pass accuracy, you can select key passes. All three of his came second half.

You can also go into the chalkboard, select Bodin and look at crosses. Most were second half.

So yeah, the stats would be more in your support than RB's and anyone with eyes knows Gunter rarely gets tight.

No one care to offer stats (which, of course, politicians have proved can be used to support any view) to justify the b*llocks that Gunter didn't get forward? Bodin didn't have to try to cross the ball so much in the first half because he was able to personally bring it into the area! That's often the consequence of a defender getting too tight!

Even if those with 20/20 vision are so correct in their views, Gunter must offer loads elsewhere on the pitch, in order to get consistently selected by club and country, regardless of who the manager is.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2018 10:55

Ah yes, the using the selection choices of poor performing Reading managers who've consistently failed and often had no alternatives at right back to defend Gunter, rather than anything he's ever actually done.

Already dismissed your other point by explaining Bodin had just as many shots against Gunter, just as many successful passes, and that neither Gunts nor Richards were dribbled round (according to the stats which are obviously fallible and not to be exclusively relied upon).

I'll just chuck out (again) that I thought Gunter had a decent game (by his standards), that in the absence of giving Richards any actual support the HT move was the right one (though not for Clement!), and I've offered no criticism of Gunter going forward against Preston.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 08 Apr 2018 11:21

Back from IFollow

Mannone - 7 Did enough, wasn't troubled much. Should have caught the ball rather than punching on occasion.

Gunter - 7 Steady Eddy, wish he wouldn't back off the winger so much but he probably trusts Moore and Ilori to win the header.

Ilori - 10 So classy on the ball, massive improvement from a few weeks ago. Actually looks bothered now. Won everything.

Moore - 10 As above. Passion, determination and a leader.

Richards - 6 Good going forward, left exposed by Barrow too often.

Kelly - 7 Did really well first half. Couple of great set pieces.

Swift - 6 Didn't really notice him much. Did play a few nice passes.

Bacuna - 6 (CM) / 7 (RB) Same as Swift, didn't get forward much when at RB but thought he put a few great last ditch challenges in

Barrow - 6.5 Didn't do a whole lot, didn't support his LB very often. Didn't attack the opposition RB like he usually does. Did score the winner though.

Aluko - 6 Thought he was ok, undoes a lot of his hard work and flashes of skill by immediately losing it or playing a bad pass. Wish he'd just get on with the game rather than taking 5 minutes off to whinge about not getting a free kick.

Bodvarsson - 7 Worked hard with little support, struggled to hold the ball up 2nd half and thought he'd be taken off for Yann but surprisingly Martin came on instead.

Clement - 9 Worked his socks off, took the pressure off the defence at key times by holding it up with some good dribbling, got stuck in with a few strong tackles and won a fair share of headers. Very impressed. Reminded me of a more skillful Jay Tabb.

Martin - 3 Useless. Did nothing. Rather have Smith up front.

Evans - 8 Played really well in the short time he was on, got stuck in and broke up a lot of Preston's attacks. We looked weak in midfield until he came on.

Fans - 10/10 Could really hear them through my laptop speakers. So much so that I had to turn the volume down a little. Well done.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Apr 2018 11:23

stealthpapes
Sutekh
Zip
I know but it’s not been a problem at the club before so I’m surprised it’s deemed to be one now.

Irritating I know, that’s why I always bring a selection of bottle tops with me.

You laugh but at Poland Ukraine back in Marseille in 2016, I got my bag searched and a random stray bottle top confiscated with so much palaver. Sigh.

Anyway, followed remotely. Rather looking forwards to Fulham (a) now. JMW - tempted at all?

I was there as well. Shit game wasn’t it?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Apr 2018 11:24

both Moore and Llori receiving modest 5/10s in a certain newspaper

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Apr 2018 11:26

AthleticoSpizz both Moore and Llori receiving modest 5/10s in a certain newspaper

Which one? That is ridiculous :lol:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Apr 2018 11:27

AthleticoSpizz both Moore and Llori receiving modest 5/10s in a certain newspaper

That’s what happens when you base a review on whoscored.com.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Apr 2018 11:28

leon

Er Moore got 10/10 on Who Scored

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Apr 2018 11:29

genome

Which one? That is ridiculous :lol:
Sun*

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Apr 2018 11:39

Snowflake Royal
Jagermesiter1871 Who'd have thought cutting out the suicidal defending would result in us not gifting goals and actually winning games?

Who'd have thought stopping asking centre backs to be playmakers would lead to moving the ball forward quicker and fewer mistakes.

The players really let Stam down, there's no way he was telling them to play at walking pace and pass each other into trouble. They had no fight and were just listless and defeated. Three days with Clement and they have a totally different attitude.

Players did let Stam down, but I think that goes both ways. Stam was asking too much of the defenders and this in turn seemed to lead to losing concentration

Ilori is a very interesting case - at the end under Stam he looked totally shot mentally - thinking games like the Derby game and esp the first goal where he just looked muddled in his thinking

Clement looks to have just said defend first, keep the clean sheet above all else and he suddenly looks 100* better

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 08 Apr 2018 11:41

Moore and Illori absolutely imperious. As others have said, just keeping to basics has made the defence, including GK, so much stronger. Really impressed with the leadership Moore offers, really did coach Richards through the first half. Kudos to Clement, didn't go to Villa, but in his two home games he's made decisive substitutions at the right time. Clement did well, though I was shocked at his lack of fitness in the last 5 or 10 mins, how on earth is he running out of steam after 35 minutes action. Evans was also the right call, though he should have come on even earlier. The only error was bringing on Martin instead of Yann. No mobility, a generally poor attitude and the complete opposite of what JDB brought to the team.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Apr 2018 11:52

genome
leon

Fcuk me, it was a joke :|

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Apr 2018 11:54

leon
genome
leon

Oh. Well, for what it’s worth, it was hilarious.

bagman

by bagman » 08 Apr 2018 12:52

Didn't see Ed Franklin on the bench, and Karl H was handing out the drinks. Has EF paid the penalty for our awful injury record?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Apr 2018 13:00

genome
leon
genome

Oh. Well, for what it’s worth, it was hilarious.

Take a chill pill son.

Life’s good.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Apr 2018 13:34

bagman Didn't see Ed Franklin on the bench, and Karl H was handing out the drinks. Has EF paid the penalty for our awful injury record?

Was sat up by EF in the stands against QPR. So quite possibly on the way out

Berry

by Berry » 08 Apr 2018 13:45

Went to watch Derby v Bolton yesterday.....Bolton are doomed, such a shame to see how much of a poor player Karacan is now