What is the point in Chris Martin?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: What is the point in Chris Martin?

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Apr 2018 08:21

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Hound
I didn’t see Grabban as a failure particularly. Didn’t score as many as hoped but he did help us get to the PO final etc

Strange that most on here would not have been happy with him signing again for us in pre season if I remember rightly

That seems like some selective memory to me. He played as a wide forward and it rarely worked.

Mainly because he isn't a winger.

True. But would he have outscored Yann if we played him centrally?
People on here change their tune very quickly when someone finds some form. See Daryl Murphy.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Apr 2018 08:26

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth That seems like some selective memory to me. He played as a wide forward and it rarely worked.

People on here change their tune very quickly when someone finds some form. See Daryl Murphy.

Yep good point RE Yann, there wasn't really a place for Grabban in a starting central role. I liked him though, had a bit of pace and drive. Did very well up at Villa when we beat them towards the end of the season.

Didn't Stam playing him as a central midfielder at one point too? Bizarre.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Apr 2018 08:43

Yeah indeed. He did disappoint at times, but helped us win 2 massive games in Villa and Rotherham (when it looked like we were going to bottle it)

System didnt really suit, and Stam had him play all over the place. But did an ok job overall - certainly better than what Martin has shown so far. And yeah I'd certainly like him in our squad now, no doubts

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Apr 2018 08:58

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

Yep good point RE Yann, there wasn't really a place for Grabban in a starting central role. I liked him though, had a bit of pace and drive. Did very well up at Villa when we beat them towards the end of the season.

Stam also brought Yann on in CM a couple of times this season. I know he was brought on to win headers but Stam did love playing someone out of position.

I seem to remember Grabban being criticised for looking like he didn't care? Am I misremembering?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Apr 2018 08:59

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth True. But would he have outscored Yann if we played him centrally?

Stam also brought Yann on in CM a couple of times this season. I know he was brought on to win headers but Stam did love playing someone out of position.

I seem to remember Grabban being criticised for looking like he didn't care? Am I misremembering?

Yep that was levelled at him. I wouldn't say he didn't care but it must have been disheartening to be played out of position constantly. Like Hound said he certainly cared up at Villa and at home to Rotherham when we needed it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Apr 2018 09:00

Hound Yeah indeed. He did disappoint at times, but helped us win 2 massive games in Villa and Rotherham (when it looked like we were going to bottle it)

System didnt really suit, and Stam had him play all over the place. But did an ok job overall - certainly better than what Martin has shown so far. And yeah I'd certainly like him in our squad now, no doubts

With Yann injured at the start of the season there must have been a reason we didn't try to loan him again right?
On this season's form I would take him back in a heartbeat but given the lack of fight our squad has shown all season he probably would have flopped.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Apr 2018 09:05

NewCorkSeth
Hound Yeah indeed. He did disappoint at times, but helped us win 2 massive games in Villa and Rotherham (when it looked like we were going to bottle it)

With Yann injured at the start of the season there must have been a reason we didn't try to loan him again right?
On this season's form I would take him back in a heartbeat but given the lack of fight our squad has shown all season he probably would have flopped.

Yeah not too sure exactly. Remember Stam breaching the subject and just saying he didnt quite offer what he was after. The option was certainly there to re-loan him or sign him from the sound of it.

But agree, certainly the way we have played for much of the year, he wouldn't have achieved a huge amount anyway I doubt.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2018 17:52

Grabban was described to me by a norwich supporting chum as the worst striker and beard he'd ever seen.

I don't think he was well used here, a good fit or suited how we played from what I saw of him.