BFTG Fulham

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Fulham

by Elm Park Kid » 11 Apr 2018 10:39

I was really worried about the complete lack of connection between players when we attack. You would never believe that those footballers had been on the same pitch together, let alone are in the same team. It was just a case of 'get the ball, head down, run until you get tackled, maybe pass to empty space'.

I did wonder after the game just how much damaged has been done this season - has an air of defeat already infecting the squad?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Apr 2018 10:56

WAZZOCK I have the experience of watching Reading for twenty years or so, which has given me a decent enough basis for recognising when football is good or bad.

One thing I don’t have, is the experience and/or knowledge of someone who has worked in football coaching or management as a full time vocation.

With all of this in mind, i am really struggling to underatand what has happened in the last four fixtures - all of which I have watched.

We have come out with 6 points from a possible 12. Three of these matches have been against some teams in great form (QPR, Villa and Fulham), and the fourth against a team who have been an ever present in the top half this campaign (Preston).

We sacked a manager recently because we were not getting the results we needed, and the confidence within the team looked shot to pieces.

A new manager has come in, and the only tangible difference I can see between the two styles is that instead of trying to pass the ball out of defence we are giving it a big hoof instead.

We have 2/3 shots on target in four matches and somehow manage to win two of them. How has that happened?

I have seen nothing from the four performances to suggest that we have improved, yet we find ourselves in a better position than we would have done under the previous manager (probably).

Football is a strange game, and I think we have been an absolute anomaly over the last fortnight. Aside from a couple of decent forays in the opening 20 minutes, we offered absolutely nothing this evening, yet some fans on twitter are hailing the performance as an improvement. Anyone care to offer and explanation?

There has only been one change and it’s that change which has brought about results and tighter performances.

Rather than pissing with the ball out the back and putting us under pressure. Moore and illori are solely concentrating on the art of defending. Win your headers, close the gap, ball goes up and out. They don’t have to think about controlling ball and laying off the pass. It’s as simple as that. Going forward and being relatively toothless is still the same.

Without Barrow we be absolutely oxf*rd.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 11 Apr 2018 11:01

We were still keen to play the ball out from the back, but instead of the final turn home and pass back we’re sticking it in the channels for Barrow to chase and Aluko to watch.

Make no mistake that we still had some dicey moments that were down to playing around at the back too much.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2018 11:07

pretty disappointing to hear Aluko had another poor game. Was hoping the corner had been turned with him after QPR

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 11 Apr 2018 11:38

I did think Kermie looked much more like his 'old self' when he came on, won some good headers and was full of running. At least Clement chose to put him on first ahead of Martin, who yet again was a total waste of space when he strolled on - there was one point near the end, when Aluko had the ball in a promising position on the edge of their box and Martin literally stood there in the way, just killed the chance.

As mentioned elsewhere the lack of threat going forward is worrying, but looks like our new found resilience will see us over the line.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Apr 2018 11:55

...because every club offers a 3 year contract to a manager they know they might sack after 8 games.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 11 Apr 2018 11:57

double d
jd82 Ticktock

Anyway.. a relatively enjoyable game tbf. Our chance to get something out of it seemingly came and went with the 2 blocked shots a couple of minutes before their goal, which totally knocked the stuffing out of us.

Barrow looked very dangerous in the first 30. Aluko was only ever a danger to himself.

Maybe the half hour of peado chants was a bit much. Heard one woman (reading fan) complaining to the stewards about it, but refusing to repeat what the song was.

Stop trying to get people banned you pathetic loser.

JD makes a valid point............. and there is only one 'Pathetic Loser' on this board !!

(Damn...... said I wouldn't bite :oops: )

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Apr 2018 11:58

There is definitely more than one.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Apr 2018 12:02

Hound pretty disappointing to hear Aluko had another poor game. Was hoping the corner had been turned with him after QPR

Dellor wanted to kill him last night by the sounds of it.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Apr 2018 12:25

HMS Shambles well and truly sailed with Green and my attempts to negotiate the capital last night. Met at the Exmouth Arms, a possible new Bree and with £15 dorms upstairs. Pint of Kinsale ale went down well as Green sat in early spring warmth waiting while I completely underestimated the distance to walk from Marylebone. Once checked in, we settled for a tidal IPA for myself and a pale ale for Green, with ten per cent discount for my kipping there later.

Running late, we then perused the can options in Hamad's beer and wines. Green went for the nutty overtones of a Newcastle brown while generic strong polish lager was deemed suitable for my simpler tastes. We jumped on the first tube to arrive only to clock immediately that it was the wrong one. Off after one stop, change to a circle, bit of a sprint at Edgware Road for a district line. We got off the tube to hear what we later worked out was the cheer for the goal ... :|

With one turnstile left open, all that could frustrate us now was putting the ticket through the right way. Yeah, one of us got that wrong. With about ten minutes of the first half left, we decided not to find seats but get a couple of pints of the riverside ale and watched the embers of the first half on the TV screens. Finally, we had made it.

Anyway.

Football.

What I saw was a poor side scrapping against a marginally better one. Bodvarsson was a bit isolated, Yann put himself about a bit more and Martin has the turning circle of the QE2. He doesn't help himself by looking disinterested. The fans seem much more vocal and better in mood - a good atmosphere perhaps helped by Fulham's more laissez faire attitude to the away end. Defence seemed solid, but perhaps lacking a bit of grit just in front of them. On the basis of what I saw, 0-0 wouldn't have been an unfair result.

Three Bells for a post-match, great pub, and then back to Exmouth for my berth. Some prick had scattered my kit on the floor and taken my spot. Collecting my thoughts, then my possessions, i sorted a different bed. Sadly for the other occupants of the dorm, I had a 0630 train to Sheffield today and must have set the very early alarm on my mobile to a higher volume setting than usual. Whoops.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 11 Apr 2018 12:50

Hoping Fulham don't get promoted because I just love this fixture. Took the girlfriend, had a great dinner in Putney, stopped for a few drinks in a pub Putney side of the river, nice walk to ground and another beer overlooking the Thames inside the stadium.

As for the football - I don't go that much any more so difficult to comment. But compared to what I have seen from this season its a drastic improvement. We looked good for the first 20 mins, after the goal Fulham deserved the win but we never looked uncomfortable. We offer next to no creativity going forward and never looked capable of creating a clear cut chance (don't think we had any shots on target?)

So some creativity is definitely needed, alongside a goal scorer and someone to dominate the middle of the park. I just thought we looked too nice (except the sending off) and short of confidence - e.g. Liam Kelly picked the ball up in a great position in the second half with space to run into, he just hesitated and fell over.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 11 Apr 2018 12:57

I'm surprised that Bacuna has got off so lightly in these comments.

We have serious injury problems with several major players missing; we have 4 (probably 3 because I can't see us getting anything at Cardiff) games to save our season and avoid relegation; the game against Fulham is in the 3rd minute of time added on - it is as good as lost (although not by the margin most of us expected). So Bacuna decides to make a dangerous and totally unnecessary challenge on young Sessegnon thus ruling himself out of the next three games which are vital to our survival in the Championship. What was he thinking?!!! Certainly not about his responsibility to the team, that's for sure!

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 11 Apr 2018 13:34

marlowuk I'm surprised that Bacuna has got off so lightly in these comments.

We have serious injury problems with several major players missing; we have 4 (probably 3 because I can't see us getting anything at Cardiff) games to save our season and avoid relegation; the game against Fulham is in the 3rd minute of time added on - it is as good as lost (although not by the margin most of us expected). So Bacuna decides to make a dangerous and totally unnecessary challenge on young Sessegnon thus ruling himself out of the next three games which are vital to our survival in the Championship. What was he thinking?!!! Certainly not about his responsibility to the team, that's for sure!

+ 1000

Didn't comment on the game because I wasn't there, but by all accounts this was a stupid and unnecessary tackle.

Hope that Blackett is fit, because otherwise we've nobody to cover the fullback position unless Watson is fit, and it's hardly fair to throw him in given his lack of playing time/involvement with the squad to date. Especially since Richards is not fully up to speed yet - he didn't get 90 minutes last night either.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 11 Apr 2018 13:40

jd82 Ticktock

Maybe the half hour of peado chants was a bit much. Heard one woman (reading fan) complaining to the stewards about it, but refusing to repeat what the song was.

We'll fcuk your kids,
We'll fcuk your kiiiIIiiIIIiids
We're Reading paedos
We'll fcuk your kids

was a little strong tbf
Last edited by BR0B0T on 11 Apr 2018 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Apr 2018 13:46

BR0B0T
jd82 Ticktock

We'll fcuk your kids,
We're Reading paedo's
We'll fcuk your kids

was a little strong tbf

Quite sure those chants were made by members of the Travelling Southbank. I think a strongly worded Tweet would be a good start to get them the punishment they deserve.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 11 Apr 2018 13:51

stealthpapes HMS Shambles well and truly sailed with Green and my attempts to negotiate the capital last night. Met at the Exmouth Arms, a possible new Bree and with £15 dorms upstairs. Pint of Kinsale ale went down well as Green sat in early spring warmth waiting while I completely underestimated the distance to walk from Marylebone. Once checked in, we settled for a tidal IPA for myself and a pale ale for Green, with ten per cent discount for my kipping there later.

Running late, we then perused the can options in Hamad's beer and wines. Green went for the nutty overtones of a Newcastle brown while generic strong polish lager was deemed suitable for my simpler tastes. We jumped on the first tube to arrive only to clock immediately that it was the wrong one. Off after one stop, change to a circle, bit of a sprint at Edgware Road for a district line. We got off the tube to hear what we later worked out was the cheer for the goal ... :|

With one turnstile left open, all that could frustrate us now was putting the ticket through the right way. Yeah, one of us got that wrong. With about ten minutes of the first half left, we decided not to find seats but get a couple of pints of the riverside ale and watched the embers of the first half on the TV screens. Finally, we had made it.

Anyway.

Football.

What I saw was a poor side scrapping against a marginally better one. Bodvarsson was a bit isolated, Yann put himself about a bit more and Martin has the turning circle of the QE2. He doesn't help himself by looking disinterested. The fans seem much more vocal and better in mood - a good atmosphere perhaps helped by Fulham's more laissez faire attitude to the away end. Defence seemed solid, but perhaps lacking a bit of grit just in front of them. On the basis of what I saw, 0-0 wouldn't have been an unfair result.

Three Bells for a post-match, great pub, and then back to Exmouth for my berth. Some prick had scattered my kit on the floor and taken my spot. Collecting my thoughts, then my possessions, i sorted a different bed. Sadly for the other occupants of the dorm, I had a 0630 train to Sheffield today and must have set the very early alarm on my mobile to a higher volume setting than usual. Whoops.

That’s a match report ^^

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 11 Apr 2018 13:56

John Smith
BR0B0T
jd82 Ticktock

We'll fcuk your kids,
We're Reading paedos
We'll fcuk your kids

was a little strong tbf

Quite sure those chants were made by members of the Travelling Southbank. I think a strongly worded Tweet would be a good start to get them the punishment they deserve.

There was some bird in the thick of it...think she kicked most of it off!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2018 14:35

yep, it was desperately stupid. No idea what he was thinking.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 11 Apr 2018 15:04

Hound

Just watched it again, was oxf*rd stupid, but didn’t look nearly as bad as it did live. Other side of the pitch away from the dugouts and he might have got away with a yellow.

Also reminded me, lol @ the pitch invasion following the sending off and the bloke getting spear tackled by the steward.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Apr 2018 15:05

Hound

I think he miscalculated when the season ends and booked his plane tickets for next week.