BFTG Sunderland

WAZZOCK

Re: BFTG Sunderland

by WAZZOCK » 15 Apr 2018 00:28

Lower West
WAZZOCK
Lower West
Not as if he has any options to choose from. Without Bacuna there's a big hole. No sign of Evans today either. Sometimes I wonder if Blackett would make a defensive midfielder.

Swift looked as if he's on the way back to match fitness.

Joey van den Berg are the words you're looking for.

Nope. He'll be gone in the summer clear out.

Maybe, but that doesn't explain why he wasn't played on Saturday.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Apr 2018 09:13

WAZZOCK
Lower West
WAZZOCK
Joey van den Berg are the words you're looking for.

Perhaps because he isn't very good? Not that that's an argument anyway after watching Edwards play.

George Evans anyone?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 15 Apr 2018 09:29

Sutekh
WAZZOCK
Lower West

Perhaps because he isn't very good? Not that that's an argument anyway after watching Edwards play.

George Evans anyone?

It's the same with most of our midfielders. They always seem best when they aren't in the team.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 15 Apr 2018 10:34

tmesis
JR
Zip

How on earth are we comfortably safe?

There is absolutely no chance that Bolton AND Birmingham will both get 4 points from their last 3 games AND Barnsley will get 5 points from their last 4.

The players could go to the beach for the next 3 winnable games and we would be fine.

Birmingham: Wolves (a), Sheff Utd (h), QPR (a), Fulham (h)

Bolton: Wolves (h), Burton (a), Forest (h)

Barnsley: Leeds (a), Forest (a), Brentford (h), Derby (a)

Each of those three could reach those points targets without it being a surprise. All three hitting those targets is less likely, but definitely could happen without it being a major shock.

I'd be surprised if Bolton get fewer than four points, given their final two games. Birmingham certainly could, and that final game v Fulham might be easier if 2nd place is settled by then.

Barnsley have it all to do, but if we lose to Ipswich then we'll be going into the final day hoping for results elsewhere to go our way, as we are very unlikely to get anything a Cardiff.

Love your logic here - surely if Birmingham's game Vs Fulham could be easier if 2nd is settled, our games against Cardiff could also be easier?

There's being realistic and then there's being overly pessimistic. Realistically it would take some v unlikely combination of results for us to go down now, but it is still possible.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Apr 2018 10:46

Thought we were awful bar 5 - 10 minutes in the first half (although the end to end attacking after Kermorgant scored was wonderful to watch despite the worry of Sunderland scoring)
Mannone was fine but twice I think failed to secure a shot which called for some quick thinking from our defenders.
Gunter put in a great shift. Better cross than Aluko has managed all season.
Ilori was fine I guess. Few mistakes and was caught high up the pitch.
Moore was probably our MOTM. Great block to save us embarrassment.
Richards struggled a bit. He's good enough to be important next season though that much is clear.
Kelly scored the penalty so my criticism here will seem harsh but he's often at fault for us failing to attack well (as is Aluko but I'll get to that) he is great at bring the ball out from defense but after he crosses the half way line he continually picks poor passes or lingers on the ball too long. For someone apparently so good at passing he can't hit a long ball for shit. Always too heavy. As I said in the match thread he makes very little effort to move for a pass and is often standing still waiting for the ball. Move buddy.
Swift was very good despite being ineffective at times. He lost the ball a few times but he was one of the few players able to keep the ball when under pressure. Should have taken a shot but seemed short of the confidence to do so.
Edwards was less impressive again this week. Tried and failed to make the impact he did last week.
Aluko was our worst player again. Bad corners. Bad positioning. We were crying out for an option down the wing but again he was farting about in the centre of the pitch. It's clear now he is the problem and it wasn't Stams tactics.
Barrow was fine again but fluffed his best chance and was for sure short on fitness. If we had any other goal threat he would improve ten fold as the defenders would need to mark someone else too.
JDB tried his heart out again. You can't fault him for that. One bad pass after a wonderful break away onto the box. He deserves more support from the wingers.

Kermie scored a great header. I'm glad the switch to 2 up front worked. We have a plan b now.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Apr 2018 10:46

Thought we were awful bar 5 - 10 minutes in the first half (although the end to end attacking after Kermorgant scored was wonderful to watch despite the worry of Sunderland scoring)
Mannone was fine but twice I think failed to secure a shot which called for some quick thinking from our defenders.
Richards struggled a bit. He's good enough to be important next season though that much is clear.
Kelly scored the penalty so my criticism here will seem harsh but he's often at fault for us failing to attack well (as is Aluko but I'll get to that) he is great at bring the ball out from defense but after he crosses the half way line he continually picks poor passes or lingers on the ball too long. For someone apparently so good at passing he can't hit a long ball for shit. Always too heavy. As I said in the match thread he makes very little effort to move for a pass and is often standing still waiting for the ball. Move buddy.
Swift was very good despite being ineffective at times. He lost the ball a few times but he was one of the few players able to keep the ball when under pressure. Should have taken a shot but seemed short of the confidence to do so.
Edwards was less impressive again this week. Tried and failed to make the impact he did last week.
Aluko was our worst player again. Bad corners. Bad positioning. We were crying out for an option down the wing but again he was farting about in the centre of the pitch. It's clear now he is the problem and it wasn't Stams tactics.
Barrow was fine again but fluffed his best chance and was for sure short on fitness. If we had any other goal threat he would improve ten fold as the defenders would need to mark someone else too.
JDB tried his heart out again. You can't fault him for that. One bad pass after a wonderful break away onto the box. He deserves more support from the wingers.

Kermie scored a great header. I'm glad the switch to 2 up front worked. We have a plan b now.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Apr 2018 10:57

tmesis
JR
Zip

How on earth are we comfortably safe?

There is absolutely no chance that Bolton AND Birmingham will both get 4 points from their last 3 games AND Barnsley will get 5 points from their last 4.

The players could go to the beach for the next 3 winnable games and we would be fine.

Each of those three could reach those points targets without it being a surprise. All three hitting those targets is less likely, but definitely could happen without it being a major shock.

I'd be surprised if Bolton get fewer than four points, given their final two games. Birmingham certainly could, and that final game v Fulham might be easier if 2nd place is settled by then.

Barnsley have it all to do, but if we lose to Ipswich then we'll be going into the final day hoping for results elsewhere to go our way, as we are very unlikely to get anything a Cardiff.

You seem to have overlooked the Colin factor and our incredible ability to nearly always mess up his day/life! :lol:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Apr 2018 12:09

tmesis
Sutekh
WAZZOCK

George Evans anyone?

It's the same with most of our midfielders. They always seem best when they aren't in the team.

:lol: :lol: :lol: So true

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Apr 2018 12:11

Dave Edwards needs to go, pure and simple. He quite literally did nothing other than cause his own team problems yesterday.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Apr 2018 12:13

Can’t see Joey or Edwards playing next season

Swift/Bacuna/Kelly is prob our best combo but Bacuna’s stupidity has messed that up

I’m not convinced Evans is any better than an ok fill in. He hasn’t really progressed and never seems to dominate a game

Interesting to see Rinomhota was picked ahead of him for the game. I think that might be the precedent now

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Apr 2018 12:36

NewCorkSeth Thought we were awful bar 5 - 10 minutes in the first half (although the end to end attacking after Kermorgant scored was wonderful to watch despite the worry of Sunderland scoring)

Funny how people see things differently. I thought we lost possession a couple of times because of how much Kelly was moving and others not anticipating it. He's one of our few midfielders who consistently finds space and helps out the defence by giving them an option.

Not saying he had a good game mind.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Apr 2018 12:44

Hound Can’t see Joey or Edwards playing next season

Swift/Bacuna/Kelly is prob our best combo but Bacuna’s stupidity has messed that up

I’m not convinced Evans is any better than an ok fill in. He hasn’t really progressed and never seems to dominate a game

Interesting to see Rinomhota was picked ahead of him for the game. I think that might be the precedent now

That’s my preferred midfield combo too. I still think we need an experienced ball winner though as these three are all very inconsistent.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Apr 2018 12:46

Hound Can’t see Joey or Edwards playing next season

Yes Evans not in the squad even though fit. I think he will go in the summer along with Edwards, Van Den Berg and Quinn. We need a clear out of central midfielders.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2018 12:51

JR
Emeraldroyal Christ almighty what planet are you on ?
It’s not likely but it’s still possible.
Whilst it’s possible don’t be dismissive.

We are 40/1 to go down with the bookies - they are not stupid.

If we were talking about one team needing to win 2 out of 3 to catch us then fine to panic mildly - but not 3 teams who have been poor all season.

We’ve got a great run in and while we won’t need it, I fancy a shock victory last day at Cardiff.

We are 40-1 because for us yo go down we are likely going to have to lose the last 3. Despite the atrocious season we've had that has only happened once in the league this year. Even at our worst we are capable of picking up a couple of points. They will have factored in that we have 2 teams from the bottom half of the table up next, both of whom are on the beach.

Factor in Bolton having to play a Wolves team, who will still need a min 1 point for the title and 40-1 is about right, a 2.5% chance of going down.

The team need to stay focused though as only needs one round of results to go against us and things look very different.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 15 Apr 2018 13:43

Jagermesiter1871
tmesis
JR

Love your logic here - surely if Birmingham's game Vs Fulham could be easier if 2nd is settled, our games against Cardiff could also be easier?

Teams are far more likely to half-arse it away from home. Think back to our last day at Birmingham in 2012, for example.

There's also so little fight in our squad that it would take one heck of a bad display by them for us to win there. Our best chance of winning there would probably be if Cardiff knew they were in the play-offs, and rested players before the 1st leg.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Apr 2018 15:08

Having just seen the highlights, I don't think you can really put anyone at fault for the first Sunderland goal. Mannone kickout under pressure, a bit of head tennis, Edwards tries to bring it down when hoofing is difficult and not ideal and he gets caught out by a toe in and a bounce off him over his head. Then a smashed shot from miles out with what looked like a bit of wicked swerve completely beats Mannone.

How they didn't score a couple of those first chances I have no idea. Similar to how I have no idea why Kermorgant passed the ball tidily and carefully into Camps arms rather than smashing it across goal into the far corner.

double d

by double d » 15 Apr 2018 16:24

was a good game

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 15 Apr 2018 16:31

double d was a good game

you never was there pal

double d

by double d » 15 Apr 2018 16:32