Building for next season

478 posts
North Royal Lad

Re: Building for next season

by North Royal Lad » 17 Apr 2018 19:37

Old Man Andrews
double d What would a good/realistic offer for Moore be? 7 mill? 10? 12? 15?

Could get a decent cb replacement for that.... I would happily have ...... feck names escaped me. Who we sold to Chelsea and plays for hull and cba to google.

If he went for anything less than £8 million I would be very unhappy.

Old man Andrew Moore Worth 10 m
Last edited by North Royal Lad on 17 Apr 2018 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Apr 2018 19:42

4 pages in and no-one's offered an opinion on our Leichtensteiner saviour in waiting, Sandro Wieser.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Apr 2018 19:50

From Despair To Where? 4 pages in and no-one's offered an opinion on our Leichtensteiner saviour in waiting, Sandro Wieser.

Try to sell him, realise no one is gonna buy him, wait to release him in 2019.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 17 Apr 2018 19:50

From Despair To Where? 4 pages in and no-one's offered an opinion on our Leichtensteiner saviour in waiting, Sandro Wieser.

he rubbish

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 17 Apr 2018 20:01

tidus_mi2

Try to sell him, realise no one is gonna buy him, wait to release him in 2019.

you don’t no that

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Apr 2018 20:12

Off topic from a playing personnel point of view but I think if we get the recruitment right in the summer then we could have a very good season next year. We've got quality in the squad but it's lacking depth and balance. I think 2 good forwards (not necessarily already proven in this league) and a couple of tough midfielders and we could definitely do better. I'd probably also add in a centre back or 2 in as well, get the solid spine that we need.

The club need to get this summer's transfers right. If we are as bad next season then we could definitely be less fortunate than we have been this season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Apr 2018 20:22

I'd genuinely forgotten he existed

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Apr 2018 20:23

I reckon he'll turn up for pre season training and Clement will think he's the work experience tea boy.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 17 Apr 2018 20:39

SELL:

Bond
Jaak
Blackett
Grav
VDB
Edwards
Quinn
Weiser
Popa or McCleary
Rakels

LOAN:
Andresson or Holmes, keep the other as backup
Rinomhota
Sam Smith

Leaving us with a squad of

GK: Mannone, Legg/Southwood

RB: Gunter, Watson

CB: McShane, Moore, Ilori, NEW SIGNING

LB: Obita, Richards

Central midfielders: Evans, Swift, Bacuna, Clement, Kelly, Barrett, NEW SIGNING (defensive midfielder, maybe 2 of them)

Wingers: Barrow, Aluko (we won't be able to move him on), McCleary (swap for Popa if he has any interest in staying), Meite, NEW SIGNING

Strikers: Kermo, Bod, Novakovich, Loader, NEW SIGNING

We will also probably need one more player for defensive cover, and obviously additional replacements if Moore, Kelly, Barrow etc. leave the club

double d

by double d » 17 Apr 2018 21:17

He still plays for us?

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 17 Apr 2018 21:35

alfie9 SELL:

Bond
Jaak
Blackett
Grav
VDB
Edwards
Quinn
Weiser
Popa or McCleary
Rakels

LOAN:
Rinomhota
Sam Smith

Central midfielders: Evans, Swift, Bacuna, Clement, Kelly, Barrett, NEW SIGNING (defensive midfielder, maybe 2 of them)

Wingers: Barrow, Aluko (we won't be able to move him on), McCleary (swap for Popa if he has any interest in staying), Meite, NEW SIGNING

We will also probably need one more player for defensive cover, and obviously additional replacements if Moore, Kelly, Barrow etc. leave the club

you don’t no this who will go and Stay. you idiot

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 17 Apr 2018 21:37

alfie9 SELL:

Bond
Jaak
Blackett
Grav
VDB
Edwards
Quinn
Weiser
Popa or McCleary
Rakels

LOAN:
Rinomhota
Sam Smith

you don’t about football either

double d

by double d » 17 Apr 2018 21:39

Royal_jimmy Off topic from a playing personnel point of view but I think if we get the recruitment right in the summer then we could have a very good season next year. We've got quality in the squad but it's lacking depth and balance. I think 2 good forwards (not necessarily already proven in this league) and a couple of tough midfielders and we could definitely do better. I'd probably also add in a centre back or 2 in as well, get the solid spine that we need.

The club need to get this summer's transfers right. If we are as bad next season then we could definitely be less fortunate than we have been this season.

We will be less fortunate for sure, seeing as the teams that come up and go down will be exponentially stronger then the 3 that go down to L1 (especially sunderland and burton)

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 17 Apr 2018 21:45

I fancy Nakhi wells I know it’s been said before. Been forgotten at Burnley. Could fill that striker void

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 17 Apr 2018 21:45

I fancy Nakhi wells I know it’s been said before. Been forgotten at Burnley. Could fill that striker void

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Apr 2018 03:15

double d
Denver Royal Yeah, some good thoughts.

A lot is dependent on the manager, right? Assuming we have upgraded massively in this regard, then this will presumably reflect in the standings/promotion(?).

A common narrative, as I recall, was that we have (or had) a lot of talent throughout the side. That's not to say that some of the player's weren't questioned at all. But just that they needed a good manager (which presumably they now have).

So, at risk of stating the obvious, two big factors are likely to be how much talent there is in reality, and how good the manager is.

This will take on greater significance since (we hear) there isn't much money to spend, and - despite all the (alleged) talent - maybe we don't have the players that would generate a lot of money through sales. I'm hearing Moore is the obvious candidate to be sold, but then we'd have to replace him anyway(?).

I think we have massively upgraded manager. I honestly believe it St*m was still the manager here, we would have lost to SunderLOLand, and also Preston.

I hear ya. We may well have massively upgraded at manager. Within our map of the world, anyway.

However, even if that's true, how much of an impact that will be, within the relative context of the Champ, remains to be seen.

He will have a honeymoon period, as many do, because of his predecessor. And we'll assess the 'managerial bounce', or lack thereof.

I assume we'll stay up, and then he will have the whole off-season...camps, mini-camps, pre-season training, tours, transfer market, etc. Which is nice, going in to what essentially will be his first season.

We don't make the rules, but all that really matters...and what you are ultimately judged and measured against...is your place in the standings..:wink:

double d

by double d » 18 Apr 2018 06:32

linkenholtroyal I fancy Nakhi wells I know it’s been said before. Been forgotten at Burnley. Could fill that striker void

I forgot he existed

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Apr 2018 08:42

How about we try and have an injury free season too?? Dont think once this season we have fielded Obita with Swift and Kelly on the same starting 11. Failures of this year could be largely down the inconsistent squads, formations and injuries.

By next season Clement should know his preferred formation and his best matchday squad. If he figures that out before August, that would be a great help for building a decent season.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 18 Apr 2018 08:43

I'm hoping that we're just going to start the season with a different mentality and atmosphere to this one, and that a few current under-performers will up their game.

Aluko looks like he has a lot of talent so if Clement can manage him better then between him and Barrow we could have a pretty decent wing attack.

McCleary is one of the best players i've seen at Reading in the last 10 years and it's just frustrating that he hasn't been able to maintain a consistent run of form. I would like to see us playing 4-4-2 with him as a the supporting striker, but realistically it's not going to happen.

I really want Bacuna to establish himself as Reading's key DM - i know he hasn't done well there in recent weeks but i expect he just needs some game to get back into form. Having a decent DM is critical (IMO).

Obita coming back resolves the LB issue (to an extent) and Richards offers reasonable back up.

I think the club could do with a Kermorgant figure who is 15 years younger. Maybe not a proven goal scorer yet, but someone hungry who can represent a threat in the box. A CB who is dangerous from set pieces would also help.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Apr 2018 08:56

Didnt we play the same team 5 times in a row or something during our only good spell of the season? Certainly speaks volumes for having a bit of consistency

ould certainly hope the whole fitness side is looked at over the summer as well. Obita was just unlucky with his knee, but even before that the ankle injury he had seemed to take an age to come back from. The amount of soft tissue injuries we've had is pretty alarming

478 posts