Building for next season

478 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Building for next season

by royalp-we » 03 May 2018 23:26

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Snowflake Royal There's a misunderstanding here. I'm not against experience. I'm against signing expensive 'names' well into the twilight of their career. Particularly if they have little Champ experience.

See Ferdinand, Keown, Roberts, Martin, Bridge, etc.

The players we can only hope to sign because they're no longer that good and looking for one last pay day. Plus the risk of long term injury and lack of recovery is higher.

Roberts dramatically increased our chances of getting injured. Bridge had just had a great season with Brighton and played really well for us before an unfortunate injury. Not sure they're the best examples. Anton Ferdinand would probably be better (I assume that by "Ferdinand" you mean Les, who is an even better example).

I have no idea why you're throwing Martin in there. He's only 29 and has never been a Premier League player (5 appearances). He's a top-end Championship striker who isn't producing, rather than a former PL striker dropping down in the hope it will be easier.

Martin - expensive, suspect attitude, downward spiral career wise.

Anton's also a good shout.
Bridge is still an example even though he looked quality (and is comparable to (Roberts)... Older players are more prone to injury and failure to return from injury the same or at all.

Our record in the area of signing 'names' like these is atrocious. For the most part, we just shouldn't.

Just to play devils advocate, we have seen some success with players deemed past their twilight years. To name a few who were previously PL players:

Glenn Murray
Ulises De La Cruz
Ian Harte
John Salako
Shaun Goater

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 03 May 2018 23:31

Sorry, for a minute there I forgot this is hob nob.

Please carry on disregarding integrating youth and experienced pros guys. The footballing world has it all wrong.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 May 2018 08:16

I understand the reaction. I didn't name the most exciting players possible but they are both free and premier league winners.
My judgement is often not great I guess. I thought we should have tried everything to get Flamini last summer and what is interesting is he is the exact type of player we are all crying out for now. Strong in the tackle, loud voice on the pitch, experienced and happy to boot someone for not doing their job. He is probably past it now though tbf.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2018 16:35

royalp-we Sorry, for a minute there I forgot this is hob nob.

Please carry on disregarding integrating youth and experienced pros guys. The footballing world has it all wrong.

Sorry, who suggested that?

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 06 May 2018 15:54

Thankfully, we're in the Championship next season. One of my concerns is that Clement said he's going to use his contacts this summer to bring in new players, I hope we don't bring loan players in from Chelsea, they don't often work! Additionally, I'm a bit concerned that Clement is more of a coach than a manager, Steve McClaren-esque, I just hope I'm wrong because he has done well to keep us up. Don't mean to be pessimistic but I do have my concerns.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 06 May 2018 15:56

RoyalJones Thankfully, we're in the Championship next season. One of my concerns is that Clement said he's going to use his contacts this summer to bring in new players, I hope we don't bring loan players in from Chelsea, they don't often work! Additionally, I'm a bit concerned that Clement is more of a coach than a manager, Steve McClaren-esque, I just hope I'm wrong because he has done well to keep us up. Don't mean to be pessimistic but I do have my concerns.

Chelsea youth teams regularly tear people apart. I wouldn't say no to a few of them. Billy gilmour, a couple of under 23s.

Hey he might even get us loftus-cheek :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 May 2018 16:18

With a World Cup on, I’m just wondering which total tools at the FL/FA/PL thinks it’s an intelligent move to start the new season on 4th August or do we have to finish the season early so clubs and international teams can get some valuable end of season friendlies in?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 May 2018 16:39

RoyalJones One of my concerns is that Clement said he's going to use his contacts this summer to bring in new players, I hope we don't bring loan players in from Chelsea, they don't often work!

Our loans from Chelsea in the last fifteen years:

1) Ryan Bertrand
2) Nathaniel Chalobah
3) Nathan Aké
4) Lucas Piazon
5) Michael Hector

I'd say that's a pretty good strike rate. Obviously one of them is not like the others, but Bertrand was a POTS contender and Chalobah was excellent in our FA Cup run.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 May 2018 18:10

SCIAG
RoyalJones One of my concerns is that Clement said he's going to use his contacts this summer to bring in new players, I hope we don't bring loan players in from Chelsea, they don't often work!

1) Ryan Bertrand
2) Nathaniel Chalobah
3) Nathan Aké
4) Lucas Piazon
5) Michael Hector

I'd say that's a pretty good strike rate. Obviously one of them is not like the others, but Bertrand was a POTS contender and Chalobah was excellent in our FA Cup run.

Almost all of them would improve our team considerably. What club have we had pur most successful loans from?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 06 May 2018 18:31

Looking at the squad and business this summer, before we even think about gaps and signings here's how I hope the club would roughly prioritise our efforts

Actively try to keep (consider excessive offers only): Liam Moore, Liam Kelly, Modou Barrow, Omar Richards, Jordan Obita, Leandro Bacuna, Tiago Ilori, Pelle Clement, Jón Daði Böðvarsson,

Keep unless good offer received: Vito Mannone, Chris Gunter, John Swift, George Evans, Sone Aluko, Callum Harriott, Tyler Blackett, Yakou Meite, Tennai Watson

Actively try to move on (sell if possible, some consider letting go for free to get wages off books): Paul McShane, Joey van den Berg, Garath McCleary, Dave Edwards, Yann Kermorgant, Adrian Popa, Danzell Gravenberch, Sandro Wieser, Josh Barrett,

Return (loan end): Tommy Elphick, Chris Martin

Release (contract end): Stephen Quinn, Joseph Mendes, Anssi Jaakkola, Jonathan Bond, Jake Sheppard, George Legg, Deniss Rakels,

Integrate: [one of: Luke Southwood, Lewis Ward - loan other], [one of: Tom Holmes, Axel Andrésson, Gabe Osho, Tom McIntyre - loan others], Andy Rinomhota, [one of: Danny Loader, Sam Smith - loan other], Andrija Novakovich

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 06 May 2018 18:52

Agree with the Above Maff, But do the club regard Richards higher than Watson? From what I’ve seen, only Watson is close to Championship level...

Blackett is a weird one; he’s potentially a quality left sided defender in a three, but if we’re going to play four at the back, there’s no place for him (or his wages).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 May 2018 19:47

Taking Mafffs base:

Actively try to keep (consider excessive offers only): Liam Moore, Liam Kelly, Modou Barrow, Jordan Obita, Leandro Bacuna, Tiago Ilori, Pelle Clement, Jón Daði Böðvarsson,

Keep unless good offer received: Vito Mannone, George Evans, Callum Harriott, Yakou Meite, Tennai Watson, Omar Richards, Paul McShane, Joey van den Berg, Dave Edwards, Yann Kermorgant, Josh Barrett,

Actively try to move on (sell if possible, some consider letting go for free to get wages off books): Garath McCleary, Adrian Popa, Danzell Gravenberch, Sandro Wieser, Chris Gunter, Sone Aluko, Tyler Blackett, John Swift,

Return (loan end): Chris Martin

Sign if terms reasonable: Elphick

Release (contract end): Stephen Quinn, Joseph Mendes, Anssi Jaakkola, Jonathan Bond, Jake Sheppard, George Legg, Deniss Rakels,

Integrate: [one of: Luke Southwood, Lewis Ward - loan other], [one of: Tom Holmes, Axel Andrésson, Gabe Osho, Tom McIntyre - loan others], Andy Rinomhota, [one of: Danny Loader, Sam Smith - loan other], Andrija Novakovich[/quote]

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 May 2018 19:48

Think you’ve got that spot on Maff other than I’d swap Aluko and McCleary round

Oh and I’d prob try to get rid of Evans as well

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 06 May 2018 20:13

SCIAG

1) Ryan Bertrand
2) Nathaniel Chalobah
3) Nathan Aké
4) Lucas Piazon
5) Michael Hector

Tbf I loved Ake and Bertrand, and liked Chalobah as well, just wary of bringing in a lot of loan players after that shambles of a summer transfer window in 2015/16 with Ola John, Piazon, Hector, Vydra, Taylor etc all coming in on a season-long loan and didn't really integrate within the squad properly. Hopefully the Chinese will provide adequate funds so that loans aren't going to become necessary in the summer.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 06 May 2018 20:26

RoyalJones
SCIAG

1) Ryan Bertrand
2) Nathaniel Chalobah
3) Nathan Aké
4) Lucas Piazon
5) Michael Hector

Tbf I loved Ake and Bertrand, and liked Chalobah as well, just wary of bringing in a lot of loan players after that shambles of a summer transfer window in 2015/16 with Ola John, Piazon, Hector, Vydra, Taylor etc all coming in on a season-long loan and didn't really integrate within the squad properly. Hopefully the Chinese will provide adequate funds so that loans aren't going to become necessary in the summer.

Forgot Ola John played for us.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 06 May 2018 21:04

Actively try to keep (consider excessive offers only): Liam Moore, Modou Barrow, Chris Gunter, Jordan Obita, John Swift, Jón Daði Böðvarsson, Omar Richards,

Keep unless good offer received: Liam Kelly, Leandro Bacuna, Tiago Ilori, Vito Mannone, George Evans, Paul McShane, Yann Kermorgant, Josh Barrett,

Actively try to move on (sell if possible, some consider letting go for free to get wages off books): Callum Harriott, Pelle Clement, Tennai Watson, Garath McCleary, Sone Aluko, Tyler Blackett, ,

Return (loan end): Chris Martin, Elphick

Release (contract end) or pay off if that's a thing: Yakou Meite, Adrian Popa, Danzell Gravenberch, Sandro Wieser, Joey van den Berg, Dave Edwards, Stephen Quinn, Joseph Mendes, Anssi Jaakkola, Jonathan Bond, Jake Sheppard, George Legg, Deniss Rakels,

Integrate: Danny Loader, Sam Smith

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 06 May 2018 21:05

Actively try to keep (consider excessive offers only): Liam Moore, Modou Barrow, Chris Gunter, Jordan Obita, John Swift, Jón Daði Böðvarsson, Omar Richards,

Keep unless good offer received: Liam Kelly, Leandro Bacuna, Tiago Ilori, Vito Mannone, George Evans, Paul McShane, Yann Kermorgant, Josh Barrett,

Actively try to move on (sell if possible, some consider letting go for free to get wages off books): Callum Harriott, Pelle Clement, Tennai Watson, Garath McCleary, Sone Aluko, Tyler Blackett, ,

Return (loan end): Chris Martin, Elphick

Release (contract end) or pay off if that's a thing: Yakou Meite, Adrian Popa, Danzell Gravenberch, Sandro Wieser, Joey van den Berg, Dave Edwards, Stephen Quinn, Joseph Mendes, Anssi Jaakkola, Jonathan Bond, Jake Sheppard, George Legg, Deniss Rakels,

Integrate: Danny Loader, Sam Smith

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 06 May 2018 21:41

Most people first and second lists are basically identical. I would put Kelly on the first list though.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 May 2018 22:54

Double d v2 Most people first and second lists are basically identical. I would put Kelly on the first list though.

From the low bar we are starting from. Unlikely we'll see wholesale changes.

Kelly needs a season or more in the lower leagues.

Elphick would make an ideal replacement for McShane. Both Moore and Ilori would benefit from playing in a back 3 with him.

Without knowing Clements preferred formation.

Definte out's should be Yann Kermorgant, Garath McCleary, Sone Aluko, Tyler Blackett, Dave Edwards, Yakou Meite, Adrian Popa, Danzell Gravenberch, Sandro Wieser, Joey van den Berg, Dave Edwards, Stephen Quinn, Anssi Jaakkola, Deniss Rakels,

Remainder should be given an opportunity. Cooper was a classic example of Stam letting a player go who wasn't a good enough technical footballer. Yet is proving himself more than able to play at Championship level. Change needs to be gradual. We need to build systematically and develope a style. Which is played throughout the whole club at every level.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 May 2018 23:09

Lower West
Double d v2 Most people first and second lists are basically identical. I would put Kelly on the first list though.

From the low bar we are starting from. Unlikely we'll see wholesale changes.

Kelly needs a season or more in the lower leagues.

Elphick would make an ideal replacement for McShane. Both Moore and Ilori would benefit from playing in a back 3 with him.

Without knowing Clements preferred formation.

Definte out's should be Yann Kermorgant, Garath McCleary, Sone Aluko, Tyler Blackett, Dave Edwards, Yakou Meite, Adrian Popa, Danzell Gravenberch, Sandro Wieser, Joey van den Berg, Dave Edwards, Stephen Quinn, Anssi Jaakkola, Deniss Rakels,

Remainder should be given an opportunity. Cooper was a classic example of Stam letting a player go who wasn't a good enough technical footballer. Yet is proving himself more than able to play at Championship level. Change needs to be gradual. We need to build systematically and develope a style. Which is played throughout the whole club at every level.

I would agree with most of those to get rid of apart from Aluko. There is a good player there but it needs the manager to get a lot more out of him than he’s given us this season.

478 posts