Building for next season

478 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Building for next season

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2018 20:22

John Smith
SCIAG As for who to keep or let go, I'm basically of the view that most of our players are talented enough to be part of a promotion push. I'm not especially keen to get rid of any of the first-team players.

Are you on a wind up? We nearly got relegated!

SCIAG Key signings should be a right winger and a striker. That right winger could be McCleary, Harriott, Popa, or Meite

Good news - they already play for Reading so we wouldn't need to make them new signings.

SCIAG I'd still like to bring in someone else to compete with JDB - ideally a Forster/Long type who is quick but also capable of playing as a lone striker.

Nicky Forster retired years ago

We weren't far off getting relegated the year before we finished third, and most of our squad was here when we finished third.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 09 May 2018 20:42

Forbury Lion
SCIAG
Lower West Cooper was a classic example of Stam letting a player go who wasn't a good enough technical footballer. Yet is proving himself more than able to play at Championship level.

Cooper was more than good enough technically, certainly head and shoulders above McShane (no pun intended). His issue was that he had utterly terrible concentration and couldn't deal with pacey strikers running at him. Every match he'd have a serious lapse in judgement which would cost a goal or something similar. He just wasn't good enough.
There are techniques that can be used to improve concentration levels - clearly Stam was unable to help here otherwise he would have employed these techniques on the current defencers whose lapses in concentration cost us points through the year.
I'm also surprised Stam couldn't coach the defenders more on how to deal with pacey strikers as he had experience to draw upon.

My home town is Newport and I was matey with Tim Harris their manager for many years.

Can't remember the guy's name now but we signed a tall, languid, elegant Beckenbauer-style centre-back
who, when doing it right look half a dozen leagues higher than us. But he would drop huge
clangers - another one where the argument was "loses concentration". In the case of this guy
it was more to do with he thought he should have been playing six divisions higher. He always had
so much time it was ridiculous,. Judicious dropping from the team and an order to play faster
did the trick. Ilori would be similar.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 09 May 2018 22:32

royalp-we Some midfielders with bite needed which can complement and nuture Swift and Kelly. I think Clayton would be a good buy.
A really good bit of business would be Joe Allen from Stoke. I just think he could bring out the best in Edwards and the others.
Although we would probably end up with Charlie Adam.

Wouldn't be surprised if we have some conversations around a few Swansea players too, should they get relegated next week.

+1
I think there's some good pickings to be had at those relegated clubs. Joe Allen would be immense. Sunderland had a couple of decent players I like. Paddy McNair looks really good. A shining light in a shower of crap.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 09 May 2018 23:42

Ascotexgunner
royalp-we Some midfielders with bite needed which can complement and nuture Swift and Kelly. I think Clayton would be a good buy.
A really good bit of business would be Joe Allen from Stoke. I just think he could bring out the best in Edwards and the others.
Although we would probably end up with Charlie Adam.

Wouldn't be surprised if we have some conversations around a few Swansea players too, should they get relegated next week.

+1
I think there's some good pickings to be had at those relegated clubs. Joe Allen would be immense. Sunderland had a couple of decent players I like. Paddy McNair looks really good. A shining light in a shower of crap.

+1 for paddy McNair and also I know they won’t let him go but George honeyman aswell from Sunderland. Those 2 would fix the midfield problem.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 10 May 2018 03:14

Let's get Jack Rodwell while we are at it. He would made Aluko look a bargain!! When you think how shit we were why would we want anyone from Sunderland?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 May 2018 07:15

Jackson Corner Let's get Jack Rodwell while we are at it. He would made Aluko look a bargain!! When you think how shit we were why would we want anyone from Sunderland?

I'm sure there are many examples of players who were extracted from shit teams to do really well ... and vice versa.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 10 May 2018 07:25

Royalwaster
Jackson Corner Let's get Jack Rodwell while we are at it. He would made Aluko look a bargain!! When you think how shit we were why would we want anyone from Sunderland?

I'm sure there are many examples of players who were extracted from shit teams to do really well ... and vice versa.

Danny Grabban seems to be doing ok at villa...

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 10 May 2018 09:49

I understand there are big changes going on behind the scene.The commercial manager has gone apparently.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 May 2018 10:43

Double d v2
Royalwaster

Danny?

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 10 May 2018 10:57

genome
Double d v2
Royalwaster

Danny?

:oops:

6 am mindfart

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 10 May 2018 11:51

Let’s not be silly, honeyman scores 8/9 from midfield this season at Sunderland and can play wing or central attacking mid. McNair plays defensive ball playing midfield and is young and good. Rodwell just doesn’t play....

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 10 May 2018 12:51

Sutekh As shown by Alfie Mawson who Reading released when he was only 15.

His family asked for the release do they didn't have to travel from Brentford to Reading - easier with him staying where they're based.

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 10 May 2018 13:40

Snowball
Forbury Lion
SCIAG My home town is Newport and I was matey with Tim Harris their manager for many years. Can't remember the guy's name now but we signed a tall, languid, elegant Beckenbauer-style centre-back
who, when doing it right look half a dozen leagues higher than us. But he would drop huge
clangers.

Craig Lima, or was that too long ago?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 May 2018 13:50

Snowball My home town is Newport and I was matey with Tim Harris their manager for many years.

Can't remember the guy's name now but we signed a tall, languid, elegant Beckenbauer-style centre-back
clangers - another one where the argument was "loses concentration". In the case of this guy
it was more to do with he thought he should have been playing six divisions higher. He always had
so much time it was ridiculous,. Judicious dropping from the team and an order to play faster
did the trick. Ilori would be similar.

Turns out you're actually getting confused: your hometown is Reading and you're actually referring to Ibrahima Sonko

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 10 May 2018 15:03

Double d v2
Royalwaster

I'm sure you meant Lewis Loader...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 May 2018 07:43

Dai Brainbocs
Snowball
Forbury Lion

Craig Lima, or was that too long ago?

Hey, well-spotted!

YES

Strangely, I've been listening to a book about memory and learning
while walking my 20K+ steps a day and the author was talking about the "OK Plateau"
which we improve to and then get stuck.

To go PAST that you have to speed up, break out of your comfort zone
until you re-set at a higher plateau after a period of pain

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 11 May 2018 09:24

Step 1: retained list. Due out in the next few hours

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 May 2018 09:56

maffff Step 1: retained list. Due out in the next few hours

Anssi given another year (triggered an option) + "Goalkeepers Luke Southwood and Lewis Ward have both been offered new deals at Reading after both spent the majority of 2017-18 earning first team experience at other clubs."

Mendes not offered + "Injury-troubled midfielder Stephen Quinn, meanwhile, has played just twice since October 2016 so leaves the club at the end of his deal in June.

Goalkeeper Jonathan Bond, who spent this season on loan at Peterborough United, is also set to leave the club as his deal comes to an end this summer, while striker Deniss Rakels departs after injury troubles cut his 2016-17 season short and led to two separate loan spells in Poland this season."
Last edited by Hound on 11 May 2018 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 May 2018 10:20

Let`s get Popa back so we can have more options in wide positions.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 May 2018 11:09

Zip
SCIAG
Lower West Cooper was a classic example of Stam letting a player go who wasn't a good enough technical footballer. Yet is proving himself more than able to play at Championship level.

Cooper was more than good enough technically, certainly head and shoulders above McShane (no pun intended). His issue was that he had utterly terrible concentration and couldn't deal with pacey strikers running at him. Every match he'd have a serious lapse in judgement which would cost a goal or something similar. He just wasn't good enough.

royalp-we A really good bit of business would be Joe Allen from Stoke.

Allen is being linked to several Premier League clubs and will probably go for £20m+.

Yep no way we will come close to getting Joe Allen. I have also seen Joe Ralls and Gary Madine mentioned. No chance we will get Ralls. He is highly rated at Cardiff and treated as one of their own as he came through their Academy. Madine cost Cardiff £6 million in January and has done absolutely nothing. He may be a possibility for us but would we want to splash out much of our transfer kitty on him?

Ralls and Madine were mentioned? Er, may have been me :oops: Just throwing some names out early doors.

Think I said Ralls was unlikely, but Madine is possible. Madine prolly isn't PL player (many aren't), but is proven in Champ. Reckon he could be avail at less than 6 mil. Warnock knows Champ players, maybe bought him in January as insurance. As it turned out, they didn't really need him, which was just as well because he had injuries. If he had been great, we likely wouldn't get a sniff. Anyway, think he could be viable option for us, but obv there are other ideas/suggestions too.

478 posts