Building for next season

478 posts
The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Building for next season

by The Royal Forester » 24 May 2018 14:46

It seems that Adi Popa was training at Reading for a couple of weeks at the end of last season. Paul Clement gave him a lot of attention and was waiting for him in the team. Popa also said he is coming back for pre-season and is going to do what is required to stay here and hopes to do a good job. Steaua was just speculation (surprise,surprise). Did not want to talk about his experiences-not good ones- with Stam. Hopefully with PC now in charge AP will be able to hold a first team place down and with his apparent improved outlook things will look up for both him and us.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 May 2018 15:15

The Royal Forester It seems that Adi Popa was training at Reading for a couple of weeks at the end of last season. Paul Clement gave him a lot of attention and was waiting for him in the team. Popa also said he is coming back for pre-season and is going to do what is required to stay here and hopes to do a good job. Steaua was just speculation (surprise,surprise). Did not want to talk about his experiences-not good ones- with Stam. Hopefully with PC now in charge AP will be able to hold a first team place down and with his apparent improved outlook things will look up for both him and us.

hope so - he's quick. we don't have much of that at the moment

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 May 2018 15:22

from JLow

'he told TV Digi Sport: "I'm going to train with Reading and I'll do what's required to stay there.

"The team has a new manager, Paul Clement, and I hope he can do a good job. I'm just thinking about Reading. Steaua is just speculation."

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 24 May 2018 16:03

Gr8 attitude on him, which unfortunately is not in abundance these days.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 May 2018 18:12

Hopefully he just had a bit of a falling out with Stam, and gave up a bit in training as a result. But did anyone actually see him put in any particularly decent performances at any point? Because from the snippets I saw in the youth games he was overweight, tripping over his own feet and produced diddly. Maybe I just caught on him bad days.

Weren't there pics of him recently in a nightclub drinking and smoking? When I say recently, I mean in season. Not a great sign.

I get the feeling an awful lot of the Popa love is a case of better the devil you don't know.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 24 May 2018 21:24

Snowflake Royal Hopefully he just had a bit of a falling out with Stam, and gave up a bit in training as a result. But did anyone actually see him put in any particularly decent performances at any point? Because from the snippets I saw in the youth games he was overweight, tripping over his own feet and produced diddly. Maybe I just caught on him bad days.

Weren't there pics of him recently in a nightclub drinking and smoking? When I say recently, I mean in season. Not a great sign.

I get the feeling an awful lot of the Popa love is a case of better the devil you don't know.

Yes a few weeks ago he was pictured in a nightclub drinking and smoking. No idea when the actual picture was taken but assume it was recent.

Shock horror in sportsmen being human. Big partridge shrug from me.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 May 2018 21:50

Collins is very slow but a terrific old school centre half. Superb in the air and totally committed. Would be worth a contract just to set an example to our current lot about what commitment means on a football pitch.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Jun 2018 10:30

McCleary to miss start of next season after surgery on his ankle.

Think it’s time we took him to the vet and put him down tbh.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jun 2018 11:26

CountryRoyal McCleary to miss start of next season after surgery on his ankle.

Think it’s time we took him to the vet and put him down tbh.

Would love the club to have sold him this summer. This latest injury completely scuppers that and means he will continue to steal a living for yet another season. We have a number of players in our squad who are seemingly made of glass.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2018 11:40

Poor stuff. He was injured in February wasn't it? Taken 4 months to realise he needs surgery? And another pre-season missed.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Jun 2018 12:01

Some of the comments on Facebook (Reading's page) about our own loyal servant who is currently injured is frankly embarrassing. The bloke no doubt read's that stuff and some of the vitriol because he is still taking a wage or is with us is just abysmal.

Hope he gets fit, gets back and makes a difference in the team come the Autumn.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2018 12:03

paultheroyal Some of the comments on Facebook (Reading's page) about our own loyal servant who is currently injured is frankly embarrassing. The bloke no doubt read's that stuff and some of the vitriol because he is still taking a wage or is with us is just abysmal.

Hope he gets fit, gets back and makes a difference in the team come the Autumn.

I'm not sure how much you can blame McCleary. He got injured playing on a pitch which imo wasn't fit for football, and looks like he hasn't been diagnosed/treated correctly re: his ankle. But it's poor news whatever.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jun 2018 18:15

Snowflake Royal But did anyone actually see him put in any particularly decent performances at any point?

The away game at Villa. When we won 3-1. Front line of Grabban , Popa and Mendes. Only time that the front 3 under Stam linked up and played as a unit. Between them had pace and movement. A joy to watch.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2018 19:42

Looks like Mendes is trialling with Birmingham

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jun 2018 21:25

So first team now looking something like this:

Mannone
Yiadom, Ilori, Moore, Obita
Bacuna, Meyler, Kelly
Aluko, Bodvarsson, Barrow

Bin Aluko for an actual footballer and it's starting to look a bit better, with a lot more backbone.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Jun 2018 21:32

Snowflake Royal So first team now looking something like this:

Mannone
Bacuna, Meyler, Kelly

Bin Aluko for an actual footballer and it's starting to look a bit better, with a lot more backbone.

Lacks creativity for me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2018 21:37

Mannone
Bacuna, Meyler, Kelly

Agreed it’s getting there. Would go 442 with Bod and a new striker up top, Bacuna and Barrow wide mid

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jun 2018 22:45

CountryRoyal

Mannone
Bacuna, Meyler, Kelly

Lacks creativity for me.

Swift for Kelly .

Front line didn't work last season. Little reason to believe it will this. Barrow wasn't in favour under Clement. Likewise Aluko doesn't appear to suit the style of the team currently. Expect more changes.

478 posts