Building for next season

478 posts
double d

Building for next season

by double d » 16 Apr 2018 21:35

Okay so this season's almost done. It is very unlikely we will go down, barring some minor miracle. We have a decent manager and backroom staff (finally!) And it is clearly obvious that we need a pretty big clear out, and a substantial amount of new players.

Who would would get rid of or think would leave, What youngsters would you promote to 1st team and where you to raid some league 1/2 players or buy any champ/pl players who would it be and where?

I think we need a 15/20 goal a season striker (ideally 2). Jack marriot has a bucket Load this season, I cannot see him staying at Peterborough next season. I think he would be an ideal fit for us and the way we play football.

Bradley Dack and Erhun Oztomur also look really good in CM. One workhorse box to box player and one creative and tricky playmaker (although 5 ft 2 he isn't as light weight as Swift)

Pretty sure kelly, Moore will go (meaning we would need a CB aswell). One would hope barrow and mannone stays, Richards looks like he can be a good player. Hope obita is fit next season.

Really don't know how i feel about akuko. One the one hand I think get rid of him as he has been utter balls. But he seems to be one of those players who if you manage him properly can be lethal and come good (Like Blackman was for a few months).

A few more additions to this team and we could be in with a chance of top 10 or even better!

North Royal Lad

Re: Building for next season

by North Royal Lad » 16 Apr 2018 21:42

double d Okay so this season's almost done. It is very unlikely we will go down, barring some minor miracle. We have a decent manager and backroom staff (finally!) And it is clearly obvious that we need a pretty big clear out, and a substantial amount of new players.

Who would would get rid of or think would leave, What youngsters would you promote to 1st team and where you to raid some league 1/2 players or buy any champ/pl players who would it be and where?

I think we need a 15/20 goal a season striker (ideally 2). Jack marriot has a bucket Load this season, I cannot see him staying at Peterborough next season. I think he would be an ideal fit for us and the way we play football.

Bradley Dack and Erhun Oztomur also look really good in CM. One workhorse box to box player and one creative and tricky playmaker (although 5 ft 2 he isn't as light weight as Swift)

Pretty sure kelly, Moore will go (meaning we would need a CB aswell). One would hope barrow and mannone stays, Richards looks like he can be a good player. Hope obita is fit next season.

Really don't know how i feel about akuko. One the one hand I think get rid of him as he has been utter balls. But he seems to be one of those players who if you manage him properly can be lethal and come good (Like Blackman was for a few months).

A few more additions to this team and we could be in with a chance of top 10 or even better!
Double d you not the Manager you don’t no who coming in . who going out of reading fc
And how do you no Moore going idiot

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Apr 2018 21:42

I think Moore will go. I can’t see there being much interest in Kelly. There may be interest in Barrow. Beyond that I can’t see any other player catching the eye of other teams.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Apr 2018 21:58

Unlikely we will go down, but it`s still possible, could be different scenarios depending what league we are in. so maybe this thread shouldn't have been started until survival is assured.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Apr 2018 22:02

We are never in a million years keeping Liam Moore, we just need to resign ourselves to that fact now. He deserves to be in the Premier League, he's good enough.

Really hope we can get rid of Edwards, Aluko, Evans and Van Den Berg. Not sure who will bother coming in for that deadwood though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Apr 2018 22:05

On the assumption we stay up:

We’re going to have to try to move on a fair few of the squad I think. Edwards, McShane, Joey, Evans, Aluko, Anssi, Mendes and Harriott would not be missed imo. Sadly McCleary as well unless he is fully fit.

Moore may well go. Can’t see anyone else attracting much interest bar Barrow.

From the youth, I’d like to see more of Richards, Rinomhota and Novakovich in the first team squad. Maybe Smith and Loader. Watson if fit.

Clement will need to find a midfielder who can help us dominate a game alongside Swift, Kelly and/or Bacuna

A striker obviously as always would be nice but easier said than done

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Apr 2018 22:07

Mannone - Keep
Jaakola - Sell or Release
Southwood - Promote

Gunter - Keep
Watson - Keep

Moore - Keep
Ilori - Keep
Blackett - Keep
McShane - Keep

Obita - Keep
Richards - Keep

Bacuna - Keep
Kelly - Keep
Evans - Keep
Edwards - SoR
JVDB - SoR

Aluko - Keep (who would buy him?)
McCleary - Keep

Swift - Keep
Clement - Keep

Barrow - Keep

Bodvarson - Keep
Kermorgant - Keep (experienced I guess)
Smith - Keep or Loan
Novackovich - Promote
Loader - Promote

Anyone I haven't listed I have either forgotten, should be released or is in the youth team and I don't know enough about them.

I reckon CM and maybe AMR should be our priority signings provided nobody I want to leave leaves.

Starting team:
---------------Mannone
Gunter--Moore--Ilori--Obita
-------------Kelly---Bacuna
-----------------Swift
New Signing-----------Barrow
-------------Bodvarson

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Apr 2018 22:18

Can you release players still in contract? surely its not that easy.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Apr 2018 22:30

windermereROYAL Can you release players still in contract? surely its not that easy.

Mutual terminations are possible but can anyone see Joey Van Den Berg agreeing to that shit? He's never going to get it as good as he has it here.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Apr 2018 22:33

Old Man Andrews
windermereROYAL Can you release players still in contract? surely its not that easy.

Mutual terminations are possible but can anyone see Joey Van Den Berg agreeing to that shit? He's never going to get it as good as he has it here.

I thought you could straight up release players by paying up their contract in full?

double d

by double d » 16 Apr 2018 22:33

windermereROYAL Unlikely we will go down, but it`s still possible, could be different scenarios depending what league we are in. so maybe this thread shouldn't have been started until survival is assured.

Say we go down, what woukd you do and who would go/Come in?

double d

by double d » 16 Apr 2018 22:35

Old Man Andrews We are never in a million years keeping Liam Moore, we just need to resign ourselves to that fact now. He deserves to be in the Premier League, he's good enough.

Really hope we can get rid of Edwards, Aluko, Evans and Van Den Berg. Not sure who will bother coming in for that deadwood though.

Edwards/Evans could probably go to somebody like stoke or west Brom. ALOLuko a crap PL team.

Van den berg might get into Thatchams team at a push

double d

by double d » 16 Apr 2018 22:37

NewCorkSeth Mannone - Keep
Jaakola - Sell or Release
Southwood - Promote

Gunter - Keep
Watson - Keep

Moore - Keep
Ilori - Keep
Blackett - Keep
McShane - Keep

Obita - Keep
Richards - Keep

Bacuna - Keep
Kelly - Keep
Evans - Keep
Edwards - SoR
JVDB - SoR

Aluko - Keep (who would buy him?)
McCleary - Keep

Swift - Keep
Clement - Keep

Barrow - Keep

Bodvarson - Keep
Kermorgant - Keep (experienced I guess)
Smith - Keep or Loan
Novackovich - Promote
Loader - Promote

Anyone I haven't listed I have either forgotten, should be released or is in the youth team and I don't know enough about them.

I reckon CM and maybe AMR should be our priority signings provided nobody I want to leave leaves.

Starting team:
---------------Mannone
Gunter--Moore--Ilori--Obita
-------------Kelly---Bacuna
-----------------Swift
New Signing-----------Barrow
-------------Bodvarson

Good list.... although I would get rid of blackett too. Is kermie retiring this summer?

I would like to see loader/novakovic get some games and Smith some more time.

Sure Moore will go, will be a miracle if we keep him
Last edited by double d on 16 Apr 2018 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

double d

by double d » 16 Apr 2018 22:41

Old Man Andrews

Wherever stam goes he will follow.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Apr 2018 22:46

It's never going to be easy to shift contracted players unless there is a demand for them, unlikely with our overpaid, underperforming lot.

My opinion assuming we stay up:

Mannone - Keep
Jakkola - Out of Contract, release
Bond - Out of contract, try to resign but could well move on.
Southwood - Promote to back up if Bond doesn't sign, otherwise loan potentially.

Gunter - Keep
Watson - New contract possibly but wary because of being injury prone. Expiring in the summer.

McShane - Keep
Moore - Keep if possible, hard to resist a big money transfer.
Ilori - Keep
Blackett - *Shrug* there's a decent player in there somewhere, keep unless a realistic offer comes in, he only has a year left on contract.

Obita - Keep
Richards - Extend contract, expiring in the summer.

Van den Berg - Keep, don't think he's as bad as people want to make out and was solid last season.
Bacuna - Keep
Kelly - Keep
Quinn - Out of contract, release
Dave Edwards - Try to sell
Swift - Keep
Clement - Try to sell
Evans - Keep

McCleary - Keep
Barrow - Keep
Harriott - Try to sell.
Aluko - Keep

Kermorgant - Keep
Bodvarsson - Keep
Novakovich - Assess and probably promote.
Mendes - Out of contract, release

Realistically you can't just completely change a squad and expect everything to just gel the following season but at the same time we have quite a large squad and a fair few we can probably move on.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Apr 2018 22:51

tidus_mi2

It's never going to be easy to shift contracted players unless there is a demand for them, unlikely with our overpaid, underperforming lot.

Mannone - Keep
Southwood - Promote to back up if Bond doesn't sign, otherwise loan potentially.

Gunter - Keep
Watson - New contract possibly but wary because of being injury prone. Expiring in the summer.

McShane - Keep
Ilori - Keep
Blackett - *Shrug* there's a decent player in there somewhere, keep unless a realistic offer comes in, he only has a year left on contract.

Obita - Keep

Van den Berg - Keep, don't think he's as bad as people want to make out and was solid last season.
Bacuna - Keep
Kelly - Keep
Swift - Keep
Clement - Try to sell
Evans - Keep

McCleary - Keep
Barrow - Keep
Harriott - Try to sell.
Aluko - Keep

Kermorgant - Keep
Bodvarsson - Keep

Realistically you can't just completely change a squad and expect everything to just gel the following season but at the same time we have quite a large squad and a fair few we can probably move on.

Are you saying to keep Aluko because you want to, or because you think we don't get a choice because nobody would be daft enough to buy him? I'd definitely prefer to keep Harriott, thanks. Clement has grown on me also

Edit: Also - any thoughts on Yakou Meite?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Apr 2018 23:05

muirinho
tidus_mi2

Mannone - Keep

Gunter - Keep

McShane - Keep
Ilori - Keep

Obita - Keep

Bacuna - Keep
Kelly - Keep
Swift - Keep
Clement - Try to sell
Evans - Keep

McCleary - Keep
Barrow - Keep
Harriott - Try to sell.
Aluko - Keep

Kermorgant - Keep
Bodvarsson - Keep

Are you saying to keep Aluko because you want to, or because you think we don't get a choice because nobody would be daft enough to buy him? I'd definitely prefer to keep Harriott, thanks. Clement has grown on me also

Edit: Also - any thoughts on Yakou Meite?

Forgot about Meite and yes Aluko was because I don't think we'll be able to off-load him, God I hope he improves next season. As for Meite, he was a pretty cheap punt and his contract expires next summer, not really fussed what we do with him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Apr 2018 23:06

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

I thought you could straight up release players by paying up their contract in full?

I would think the player would have to agree to that though. Could be wrong.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 16 Apr 2018 23:19

With Meite and Novakovich coming back (hopefully) we will have ready made replacements for Mcleary and Mendes who will both be off.

Harriott may also be able to prove good as a back up for Barrow, who must be shattered tbh.

I don't see the club offloading Edwards or Evans or Kelly. But I can see Joey leaving. So a combative CM is top of the list.

Can't wait to get Obita back. We have missed him more than we realise.

I can't see any of last year's arrivals like Bacuna, Aluko or Barrow leaving. Which is good.

Liam Moore may the one that leaves, although we won't get what he is worth. He's been part of a piss poor backline afterall.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 16 Apr 2018 23:52

Can we have Adrian Popa back please?!

478 posts