Building for next season

478 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Building for next season

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2018 20:07

Denver Royal Heh, yeah if Swift had two Roy Keane's playing alongside with him, one each side, then you might have something. But as it is, you are right, he is very much a luxury for us at this time and place.

Anyway Ian, right now I've no idea how I'd go about fixing this, so am looking forward to your suggestions in due course over the Summer, see who becomes available, etc. Much work to be done for sure, else as you say, we could struggle again next season.

I wouldn't listen to me, my only suggestion is burn the club to the ground as an insurance job and literally start from scratch. I can't see any solution. From top to bottom we're a shambles through and through. I've tried half a dozen times to come up with an idea for how we should play and who we should keep to build around, but I've got nothing.

Let's take our three best players this season, arguably Barrow, Moore and Bodvarsson.

Barrow - talented and pacey, but worse than a liability when it comes to doing any sort of defensive duty, means he simply can't be relied upon to play as a genuine winger in a 4-4-2. Also, not one to deliver a cross, he tends to prefer to attack the box or hit the byline and cut back.

Bodvarsson - work rate, willing runner, some genuinely good tricks to beat a defender with his back to goal, but he's slow, not good enough to lead the line on his own and his finishing varies from competent to terrible. Simply won't score more than 15 goals in a season.

Moore - very talented, but why would he stay, his career is being damaged here, his stock is falling and he's hardly immune to the malaise of losing his concentration and belief. Also the most likely to be bought and actually make us some decent money.

I can't name a single position were our options are anything more than barely adequate.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2018 20:32

Tbh, completely given up on our midfield. Would happily give Rinomhota a run if it was anything but the last game of the season. At least Swift and Kelly are occasionally (rarely) capable of doing something decent - suppose that move ending in the Swift shot was a good example - Joey, Edwards and Evans are just crap. Simple as.

I’ve always been fairly supportive of Gunter but penny dropped a bit with that performance yesterday - he was shocking. I think for next season i’d move him on and go forward with Bacuna backed by Watson at RB

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 29 Apr 2018 20:42

To use an Americanism, I've got nothing.

I simply cannot see a way out of the morass. Poor old PC has got a right job on his hands over the summer. I just hope he has had sufficient time since his arrival to identify who needs to be moved out, who is worth persevering with and who of the Academy can step up.

I haven't really felt this despondent since Terry's tenure, and the 70-71 debacle. I fear the worst to be honest. If PC cannot ship out the deadwood, what is stopping us dropping straight through the 3rd tier should be go down next w/e?

From my limited viewing of the third tier these last few years, there are many teams not overly blessed with talent, but at least they do have players who fight, (and I don't mean on field thuggery, just 100% commitment). I am not sure I can say that about ANY of our current 1st team squad.

Oh dear, I think whichever division we find ourselves in next season, this summer is going to be long and fraught with pain.

Enjoy going back to work tomorrow!

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 29 Apr 2018 20:43

Building what exactly? A bigger pile of steaming dog shit than the club already is? Reading football club is poisonous from the top down, sold out by Madejski when his premier league rhetoric was exposed. Give it 2 years and you'll have a 7000 seater stadium in Didcot and a multiplex oxf*rd just off junction 11. Enjoy, rumble those sticks, and remember the glory years. Good night and may your God be kind to you.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Apr 2018 20:46

poohs pure Building what exactly? A bigger pile of steaming dog shit than the club already is? Reading football club is poisonous from the top down, sold out by Madejski when his premier league rhetoric was exposed. Give it 2 years and you'll have a 7000 seater stadium in Didcot and a multiplex oxf*rd just off junction 11. Enjoy, rumble those sticks, and remember the glory years. Good night and may your God be kind to you.

You ok hun? :D

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 29 Apr 2018 20:54

windermereROYAL
poohs pure Building what exactly? A bigger pile of steaming dog shit than the club already is? Reading football club is poisonous from the top down, sold out by Madejski when his premier league rhetoric was exposed. Give it 2 years and you'll have a 7000 seater stadium in Didcot and a multiplex oxf*rd just off junction 11. Enjoy, rumble those sticks, and remember the glory years. Good night and may your God be kind to you.

You ok hun? :D

Never been worse. 45 years a fan, can't remember such a terrible set up, I'd take Thames Valley Royals over this current set of cúnts.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Apr 2018 21:15

Hound Tbh, completely given up on our midfield. Would happily give Rinomhota a run if it was anything but the last game of the season. At least Swift and Kelly are occasionally (rarely) capable of doing something decent - suppose that move ending in the Swift shot was a good example - Joey, Edwards and Evans are just crap. Simple as.

I’ve always been fairly supportive of Gunter but penny dropped a bit with that performance yesterday - he was shocking. I think for next season i’d move him on and go forward with Bacuna backed by Watson at RB

I’m not sure Bacuna is the answer. He is very inconsistent.
I still think our biggest problem is central midfield. We don’t have a single competent cdm. We cannot possibly play Kelly and Swift together if we go 4-4-2. I hope Clement has now understood this.
We then have the ongoing farce of Aluko drifting in to become a third central midfielder meaning we become very narrow down our right flank unless Gunter pushes forward which he tends to do in the first half but less so in the second period.

Right now we have three or at a push four of our starting line up who deserve to start. Mannone, Moore, Ilori and Barrow deserve to start....Moore was appalling yesterday. His worst game in a Reading shirt.
However our back four get no protection at all. Until we play a competent cdm this will remain a big problem

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Apr 2018 21:42

Hound Evans is powderpuff and been poor all season.

How many games has he started this seaon?

The comment is more appropriate to Kelly. Who defensively is akin to the invisible man.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2018 22:31

Given Novakovich has scored 20 goals in 34 games in the Dutch second division earning an international cap, who thinks he'll actually get a chance here next season?

I mean, he's ours, so we don't have to buy him, but he's untainted by this bullshit season, he'll be brimful of confidence and positivity. I know the Dutch second tier isn't exactly a high standard, but he should walk into our first 18 right?

We'll let him go for less than £500k and sign some Estonian donkey for three times as much won't we...

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 29 Apr 2018 22:56

Hound some interesting comments from Ilori in the press conference:

'It's not just about the quality you have. The work rate has to be there as well. Football is a complete sport, it's not just talent and skill.'
'There wasn't a particular game when things went wrong. Sometimes I felt we didn't work as hard as the other team.'

Interesting to note the players recognised it as well. Major issue for me this term was the lack of fitness and movement, which immediately went up a notch when Clement came in

And this from Clement - 'The balance of the squad needs to be addressed - that's what we'll do over the summer.

There will be some movement but there won't be a massive overhaul.'

Hopefully after the Ipswich performance you will change your mind Paul the club needs a massive overhaul you have been lucky you havent been watching that as long as us Paul.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2018 07:05

Lower West
Hound Evans is powderpuff and been poor all season.

How many games has he started this seaon?

The comment is more appropriate to Kelly. Who defensively is akin to the invisible man.

Appropriate to both imo

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2018 13:48

Yep would like to see Novakovich given a go. Him, Smith and Loader *could* be a decent combo in a few years

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 30 Apr 2018 13:57

Hound Yep would like to see Novakovich given a go. Him, Smith and Loader *could* be a decent combo in a few years

Think both need to be sent out on loan next season (depending which league we're in) Been impressed by Smith work rate when given the chance, bet he is itching to play every week at senior level.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2018 14:02

yes with Smith, but obv would need to extend Nova's contract if we sent him on loan again. Also a bit of noise about him wanting to play in the top Dutch league Eredivisie(?) - so given the chance of that or L1, pretty sure he'd choose the former

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 30 Apr 2018 14:13

In terms of our goalkeeping position, think Mannone will retain his #1 spot, with at least one of Bond/Jaakkola moving on. That will provide space for Legg, Ward, Southwood etc to be an understudy or third in the pecking order, would really like to retain our identity of giving youth a chance.

Axel Andresson could come in to play backup to Ilori and Moore (if he stays), perhaps keep McShane if Moore goes. Not bothered about Blackett. Perhaps send Tom Holmes out on loan. Need more experience in the centre of defence though, could sign someone like Elphick.

Will be good to have Obita back giving Richards competition. Would like to see Tennai Watson a lot more at senior level. Gunter just doesn't cut it for me. A signing or two needed here.

The centre of midfield needs a complete clearout and reshuffle, would keep Evans, Kelly, Swift and give Andy Rinomhota a go, he must have something to prove. Get rid of Van Den Berg, Quinn and Edwards. Bring in another CDM to give Evans and Rinomhota competition and maybe even sign a creative centre mid to give competition to Kelly and Swift. Would be good for Pelle Clement to go out on loan.

Still think it's ludicrous how get got rid of both Fosu and Stacey, and we now have a shortage of wingers. Would bring Meite and Harriott (if fit) back in to the squad to help Aluko and Barrow. Get rid of McCleary.

Would like to see Bodvarsson and Novakovich as backup to a new striker most definitely.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2018 14:33

Southwood has had a great season by all accounts. Def like to see him become a regular in the squad instead of Jaakola

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 30 Apr 2018 14:34

I would like to see us bid for Jack Marriot from Peterborough

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 30 Apr 2018 15:29

The things I think we miss, more than anything (and there is a lot) is a ball winning midfielder who is disciplined. Do we have anyone in the youth sides who could be this player?! Evans, Edwards and Kelly are not it, nor is Joey. Bacuna might be it, I just wouldn't trust him yet.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 30 Apr 2018 15:36

PistolPete The things I think we miss, more than anything (and there is a lot) is a ball winning midfielder who is disciplined. Do we have anyone in the youth sides who could be this player?! Evans, Edwards and Kelly are not it, nor is Joey. Bacuna might be it, I just wouldn't trust him yet.

Wasn't that what Kuhl was supposed to be?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Apr 2018 15:41

I can't name a single position were our options are anything more than barely adequate.

to have got to this situation after spending more than in any other preseason is a oxf*rd joke.
BT and stam should be massively ashamed of twhat they did here between last season and this in the transfer market.

appalling

478 posts