Building for next season

478 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Building for next season

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Apr 2018 09:11

Coppells Lost Coat How about we try and have an injury free season too?? Dont think once this season we have fielded Obita with Swift and Kelly on the same starting 11. Failures of this year could be largely down the inconsistent squads, formations and injuries.

By next season Clement should know his preferred formation and his best matchday squad. If he figures that out before August, that would be a great help for building a decent season.

I think a lot of our injury woes have to be pinned firmly on Stam and his backroom staff, we were hardly injury free last season either. the last 2 seasons, during Stam's tenure has to be one of, if not the worst spells we've had with injuries. Whether it's poor conditioning or poor training I don't know but I won't be at all surprised if we have a lot less injuries next season.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 18 Apr 2018 09:16

Coppells Lost Coat How about we try and have an injury free season too?? Dont think once this season we have fielded Obita with Swift and Kelly on the same starting 11. Failures of this year could be largely down the inconsistent squads, formations and injuries.

By next season Clement should know his preferred formation and his best matchday squad. If he figures that out before August, that would be a great help for building a decent season.

mate that will never happen football players do get inj.....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Apr 2018 09:21

tidus_mi2

I think a lot of our injury woes have to be pinned firmly on Stam and his backroom staff, we were hardly injury free last season either. the last 2 seasons, during Stam's tenure has to be one of, if not the worst spells we've had with injuries. Whether it's poor conditioning or poor training I don't know but I won't be at all surprised if we have a lot less injuries next season.

One thing that I heard from BBC Berks (I think) was that the training sessions under JS were too technical. That is to say they'd train a bit then stop and analyse it then train a bit more then have another analysis thus cutting down the ability to build/maintain fitness levels during training etc. which all helps when it comes to match days.

And this would seem to be borne out as under JS Reading looked "leggy" as games have gone on and leaked a lot goals in the last 15/20 minutes of games. I reckon that is possibly one of the things PC has changed as they now seem able to maintain a consistent dodginess rather than starting out looking dodgy and getting worse.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Apr 2018 09:24

We certainly didn't look a particularly fit side under Stam - a lot of walking around. A lot of late goals conceded as well.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Apr 2018 10:42

Sutekh
tidus_mi2

One thing that I heard from BBC Berks (I think) was that the training sessions under JS were too technical. That is to say they'd train a bit then stop and analyse it then train a bit more then have another analysis thus cutting down the ability to build/maintain fitness levels during training etc. which all helps when it comes to match days.

And this would seem to be borne out as under JS Reading looked "leggy" as games have gone on and leaked a lot goals in the last 15/20 minutes of games. I reckon that is possibly one of the things PC has changed as they now seem able to maintain a consistent dodginess rather than starting out looking dodgy and getting worse.

We looked more unfit towards the end of matches as the season went on.

Our defensive inability over the last few seasons shouldn't be a surprise bearing in mind we haven't had a half decent defensive midfielder since Leigertwood left 4 years ago.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Apr 2018 11:10

leon
Sutekh
tidus_mi2 I think a lot of our injury woes have to be pinned firmly on Stam and his backroom staff, we were hardly injury free last season either. the last 2 seasons, during Stam's tenure has to be one of, if not the worst spells we've had with injuries. Whether it's poor conditioning or poor training I don't know but I won't be at all surprised if we have a lot less injuries next season.

We looked more unfit towards the end of matches as the season went on.

Our defensive inability over the last few seasons shouldn't be a surprise bearing in mind we haven't had a half decent defensive midfielder since Leigertwood left 4 years ago.

+1

Like it or not Williams wasn’t that sort of player, neither is Bacuna. I think the latter has the potential to be and a good ball playing one as well, but likely lacks the discipline to actually fulfil that role imho. I’d like someone in the Matic/Wanyama mould. A solid defensive midfielder just sitting in front of the back of 4.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Apr 2018 11:19

double d
Old Man Andrews We are never in a million years keeping Liam Moore, we just need to resign ourselves to that fact now. He deserves to be in the Premier League, he's good enough.

Really hope we can get rid of Edwards, Aluko, Evans and Van Den Berg. Not sure who will bother coming in for that deadwood though.

Edwards/Evans could probably go to somebody like stoke or west Brom. ALOLuko a crap PL team.

Van den berg might get into Thatchams team at a push

Are you joking? They'll be some of the best teams in the Championship next season and you think David Edwards is good enough to play for them? He will go to Shrewsbury in League 1 as they are making a great cock up of promotion

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Apr 2018 11:24

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? 4 pages in and no-one's offered an opinion on our Leichtensteiner saviour in waiting, Sandro Wieser.

I'd genuinely forgotten he existed

Have I mentioned that I have actually seen him play in a competitive game?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Apr 2018 11:51

Thing with Wieser is that, granted he's a Leichtensteiner so hardly from a country with any footballing pedigree and he was a completely bizarre signing but he has played for Basel and Hoffenheim and has made a reasonable number of appearances in the Swiss top flight. He can't be completely useless.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Apr 2018 12:02

From Despair To Where? Thing with Wieser is that, granted he's a Leichtensteiner so hardly from a country with any footballing pedigree and he was a completely bizarre signing but he has played for Basel and Hoffenheim and has made a reasonable number of appearances in the Swiss top flight. He can't be completely useless.

Robbie Savage made almost 250 premier league appearances so you’re point is invalid.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Apr 2018 12:07

double d
Royal_jimmy The club need to get this summer's transfers right. If we are as bad next season then we could definitely be less fortunate than we have been this season.

We will be less fortunate for sure, seeing as the teams that come up and go down will be exponentially stronger then the 3 that go down to L1 (especially sunderland and burton)

Good point, could be Wigan, Blackburn, and Shrewsbury?

...and West Brom, Stoke, and Southampton coming down.

:(

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Apr 2018 12:13

Denver Royal
double d
Royal_jimmy The club need to get this summer's transfers right. If we are as bad next season then we could definitely be less fortunate than we have been this season.

We will be less fortunate for sure, seeing as the teams that come up and go down will be exponentially stronger then the 3 that go down to L1 (especially sunderland and burton)

Good point, could be Wigan, Blackburn, and Shrewsbury?

...and West Brom, Stoke, and Southampton coming down.

:(

Not sure thats really the case. People thought Sunderland and Middlesborough would be strong this season, esp Boro. Hull have some Prem league quality players. Once their remaining decent players leave, don't see a lot in WBA or Stoke to be scared of. Southampton probably have generally better players, but have been poorly managed

Wigan and Rotherham esp were awful last year, and could quite likely be coming back up again. Despite how well Millwall and Sheff Utd have done, Div 1 is clearly quite a bit weaker than the Champ. I would be surprised to see any of the promoted clubs do especially well next year

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 18 Apr 2018 12:39

I think there are a couple of players who due to injury are untried in terms of having a run of games.

Mendes - If he can get fit over the summer, I think we should give him a contract again. There was a very good lone striker in there towards the end of last season. Strong and has a bit of pace about him.

Harriott - Great option to bring on either side and would rather him than GMAC

We need to be rid of Edwards, Van Den Berg and Ansi Dropola. Yann would be in this category too but he has just signed a new deal. What we need first and foremost is decent Championship experience at the higher end of the table.

Bring in the following:
Le Fondre
Nick Powell
Some players from Wolves who could be available should they spend big ahead of next season.
Davis from Birmingham (always played well against us)
Boga on loan from Chelsea

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 18 Apr 2018 12:43

North Royal Lad
Snowflake Royal Ok, so ignoring my desire to keep turnover to a minimum, this is what I think.

Goalkeeper
Mannone - stay
Jaakkola - open to moving on, but give a second chance (I think part of his shitness may have been coming into a terrible side and being asked to piss about with it when that's the last thing he wanted to do)
Bond - go, although open to staying as I think he's done well on loan? Just doesn't seem realistic

Keep eye out for back up / first choice keeper on the cheap and assess youth goalies

Fullback
Gunter - look for buyers, could raise some decent money from him
Watson - assess fitness and recovery, one more year
Look for a good replacement right back

Obita - assess fitness and recovery carefully
Richards - keep
depending on Obita, look for a promising left back

Defence
Moore - try to keep, resigned to losing - maximise fee
Ilori - keep
Blackett - open to offers
McShane - keep
Keep two of Andresen, Holmes, McIntyre, Osho around the edges of the first team as cover
Replace Moore if necessary + 1 if decide to play three centre backs

Central Midfield
Kelly - keep
Evans - open to offers, but retain one of him and Berg
Berg - open to offers, but retain one of him and Evans
Bacuna - open to offers
Edwards - open to offers
Sign defensive style midfielder, and replace Bacuna if he goes

Attacking Midfield
Swift - open to offers
Clement - keep as back up
Barrett - keep as back up for another year, blood
Decide if want to play with three in midfield, if so, replace Swift if sold

Wings
McCleary - actively seek buyer
Aluko - actively seek buyer
Barrow - open to offers
Harriott - release
Popa - reassess, but open to offers
Meite - give another chance
Decide if want to play with proper wingers, wide forwards, or none
Buy at least one, preferably two or more wingers depending on who we can shift

Forwards
Bodvarsson - keep
Kermorgant - keep, but expect little
Mendes - release
Novokavich - keep
Smith - loan out
Loader - keep on the fringes
Look for at least one new striker of decent quality, decide if playing two up or one up.

Basically, I only really care about keeping Moore, Ilori, Kelly, Bodvarsson and Novokavich

Snowflake royal you don’t no nothing about football you idiot
how do you no that u prat

This is why no one like you. It has nothing to do with your (supposed) Autism. It's because you insult people for no reason when all they are doing is discussing who they'd like to see stay or go next season.

Calm yourself down or oxf*rd off this site.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Apr 2018 13:01

bracksroyal10 I think there are a couple of players who due to injury are untried in terms of having a run of games.

Mendes - If he can get fit over the summer, I think we should give him a contract again. There was a very good lone striker in there towards the end of last season. Strong and has a bit of pace about him.

Yann would be in this category too but he has just signed a new deal.

What we need first and foremost is decent Championship experience at the higher end of the table.

Bring in the following:
Le Fondre
Nick Powell
Some players from Wolves who could be available should they spend big ahead of next season.
Davis from Birmingham (always played well against us)
Boga on loan from Chelsea

Good points.

I liked Mendes too, but maybe ship has sailed. He'd sign at reasonable price, though.
Yann signed extension, but that was pre-injuries this season. Assume he'll be back, but not certain.
If Cardiff go up, maybe get Gary Madine from them, as not sure he's a Prem player (or Zohore).
Wolves cast-off's are a good shout.
The 'Clement factor' with his contacts/network is interesting, but how much 'say' will he have?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Apr 2018 13:29

Agree Mendes is prob worth assessing. Suspect he would re-sign on relatively low money and be a useful backup.

Genuinely depends on whether he is capable of staying fit, of which there is little evidence. Maybe a 1 year deal.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 18 Apr 2018 14:07

Tilehurstsouthbank
North Royal Lad
Snowflake Royal Ok, so ignoring my desire to keep turnover to a minimum, this is what I think.

Goalkeeper
Mannone - stay
Jaakkola - open to moving on, but give a second chance (I think part of his shitness may have been coming into a terrible side and being asked to piss about with it when that's the last thing he wanted to do)
Bond - go, although open to staying as I think he's done well on loan? Just doesn't seem realistic

Keep eye out for back up / first choice keeper on the cheap and assess youth goalies

Fullback
Gunter - look for buyers, could raise some decent money from him
Watson - assess fitness and recovery, one more year
Look for a good replacement right back

Obita - assess fitness and recovery carefully
Richards - keep
depending on Obita, look for a promising left back

Defence
Moore - try to keep, resigned to losing - maximise fee
Ilori - keep
Blackett - open to offers
McShane - keep
Keep two of Andresen, Holmes, McIntyre, Osho around the edges of the first team as cover
Replace Moore if necessary + 1 if decide to play three centre backs

Central Midfield
Kelly - keep
Evans - open to offers, but retain one of him and Berg
Berg - open to offers, but retain one of him and Evans
Bacuna - open to offers
Edwards - open to offers
Sign defensive style midfielder, and replace Bacuna if he goes

Attacking Midfield
Swift - open to offers
Clement - keep as back up
Barrett - keep as back up for another year, blood
Decide if want to play with three in midfield, if so, replace Swift if sold

Wings
McCleary - actively seek buyer
Aluko - actively seek buyer
Barrow - open to offers
Harriott - release
Popa - reassess, but open to offers
Meite - give another chance
Decide if want to play with proper wingers, wide forwards, or none
Buy at least one, preferably two or more wingers depending on who we can shift

Forwards
Bodvarsson - keep
Kermorgant - keep, but expect little
Mendes - release
Novokavich - keep
Smith - loan out
Loader - keep on the fringes
Look for at least one new striker of decent quality, decide if playing two up or one up.

Basically, I only really care about keeping Moore, Ilori, Kelly, Bodvarsson and Novokavich

Snowflake royal you don’t no nothing about football you idiot

This is why no one like you. It has nothing to do with your (supposed) Autism. It's because you insult people for no reason when all they are doing is discussing who they'd like to see stay or go next season.

okay boss they insult me too

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 18 Apr 2018 14:22

North Royal Lad
Tilehurstsouthbank
North Royal Lad Snowflake royal you don’t no nothing about football you idiot

Not anymore. I'm the only one stupid enough to talk to you. :lol:

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 18 Apr 2018 16:00

Tilehurstsouthbank
North Royal Lad
Tilehurstsouthbank

Not anymore. I'm the only one stupid enough to talk to you. :lol:
thanks pal

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 18 Apr 2018 17:07

double d
linkenholtroyal I fancy Nakhi wells I know it’s been said before. Been forgotten at Burnley. Could fill that striker void

I forgot he existed

Easily done, he has all but disappeared at Burnley

478 posts