Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (a) sponsored by c'mon URZ

by Sutekh » 17 Apr 2018 14:21

When : Saturday, 21st April, 3pm
Where : Hillsborough, Sheffield, S6 1SW
Capacity : 39,812
Away Stand : Leppings Lane, Upper Tier
What might I see in the area : Whippets, flat caps, dourness but absolutely no stereotyping

So as the end of this miserable wreck of a season draws in, Reading still find themselves uncomfortably involved in the relegation morass lurching regularly from thinking it's going to be all OK one week to thinking it's still scary the next.

And currently, after the Sunderland shambles, it's very scary indeed but don't worry everyone to cheer you all up it's a trip up north to Sheffield Wednesday. Only.

Only Reading are not very good away from home and haven't been since 2018 started. Of the last 6 away games Reading have mustered a whole 1 point and that was at Free Fall Forest.

On the other hand Sheffield Wednesday have done nothing whatsoever to give their supporters anything to shout about this season. They've continuously hung around the table in about 16th and their only claim to fame is that they almost got involved in the relegation battle but that would have generated interest so they didn't even bother with that, therefore they are one big erratic ball of unpredictability.

Reading have, of course, already been up to Hillsborough and lost this season when they predictably fell out of the FA Cup with another utterly pathetic performance. It will be interesting to see how much has changed in the overall performance - not to mention result - from that visit as they players should know what to expect.

Wednesday's current form is good if you look at their last 6 games which has generated 4 wins and 2 losses, however from the 5 league games before that they managed just 1 point which and it is that sort of overall form which means they are well used to having nothing to play for this season so it's business as usual for them on that front.

As ever, the sorry tales of injury and suspension will continue for Reading with the only questions on team selection being whether Blackett or Richards will start at left back and whether Edwards gets another game in midfield as everything else will pick itself. Wednesday have slight worries on Atdhe Nuhiu (knee/ankle), Jack Hunt (groin), Lucas Joao (leg), Barry Bannan (groin) and Daniel Pudil (is a dog's name).

Referee

The expected referee for this one is Jeremy Simpson

Previously

14 Oct 2017 > Leeds United 0-1 Reading
31 Jan 2017 > Birmingham City 0-1 Reading
17 Dec 2016 > Blackburn Rovers 2-3 Reading
09 Sep 2016 > Reading 2-1 Ipswich Town (managed to book 9 players)
16 Apr 2016 > Leeds United 3-2 Reading
09 Jan 2016 > Huddersfield Town 2-2 Reading (FA Cup 3)
20 Oct 2015 > Rotherham United 1-1 Reading

Historically

Not a particularly happy hunting ground for Reading but then probably about average for the club for a northern trek and only ten previous league visits. Of those ten games three have been won and four lost.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (a) sponsored by c'mon URZ

by Denver Royal » 17 Apr 2018 14:48

Sutekh, thanks for that.

Its a pity we couldn't beat Sunderland at home, because this next one, at Wed, could be a tough game, I think. As stated, Wed have won 4 of 6. Their last 6 games read:

Won at Hull last week
Lost at QPR
Lost 1-0 to Fulham
Won 3-1 at Sunderland
They beat Preston 4-1
Won at Leeds

So, not too shabby really. I also think the 'they have nothing to play for' narrative is over stated. Players and managers are always playing for their jobs/careers, whether that's for this season or next. At the same time, they might play looser with less pressure, while we may play more tight/tense.

It may be crucial to not concede early. Clements' approach will be interesting, as to whether he really goes for it, or sets us up more for a draw (which presumably would be a good result). If somehow we lose, we might then be under a fair amount of pressure against Ipswich, with only Cardiff away to come...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Apr 2018 15:38

Denver Royal Sutekh, thanks for that.

Its a pity we couldn't beat Sunderland at home, because this next one, at Wed, could be a tough game, I think. As stated, Wed have won 4 of 6. Their last 6 games read:

Won at Hull last week
Lost at QPR
Lost 1-0 to Fulham
Won 3-1 at Sunderland
They beat Preston 4-1
Won at Leeds

So, not too shabby really. I also think the 'they have nothing to play for' narrative is over stated. Players and managers are always playing for their jobs/careers, whether that's for this season or next. At the same time, they might play looser with less pressure, while we may play more tight/tense.

It may be crucial to not concede early. Clements' approach will be interesting, as to whether he really goes for it, or sets us up more for a draw (which presumably would be a good result). If somehow we lose, we might then be under a fair amount of pressure against Ipswich, with only Cardiff away to come...

Hey who does this sound like? :lol:

Lost at QPR
Lost to Fulham 1-0
Won 3-1 at Sunderland
Beat Preston
Won at Leeds

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Apr 2018 16:09

CountryRoyal
Denver Royal Sutekh, thanks for that.

Won at Hull last week
Lost at QPR
Lost 1-0 to Fulham
Won 3-1 at Sunderland
They beat Preston 4-1
Won at Leeds

Hey who does this sound like? :lol:

Lost at QPR
Lost to Fulham 1-0
Won 3-1 at Sunderland
Beat Preston
Won at Leeds

Yes indeed :lol:

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 17 Apr 2018 18:01

Cut and paste job on “ how to follow the game” i see :wink:

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 17 Apr 2018 18:05

Sheffield wed 1 reading 0

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 17 Apr 2018 19:51

thanks

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Apr 2018 20:17

I think this will be a tougher game than we envisage. The pressure is off them as they're safe so they're likely to have a right go at us. I actually think we should play 5 at the back and keep ourselves solid.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Apr 2018 20:40

thanks

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Apr 2018 12:43

Royal_jimmy I think this will be a tougher game than we envisage. The pressure is off them as they're safe so they're likely to have a right go at us. I actually think we should play 5 at the back and keep ourselves solid.

Who'd be in that back 5 though? Neither Aluko or Barrow are defensive at all, the idea of Blackett as a wingback gives me the heebyjeebies, and I'm not sure how many fit central defenders we'll have.

Best I can come up with, unless Elphick or McShare are back, is back 3 of Ilori, Moore, Blackett, with Gunter and Richards as the wingbacks.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2018 12:48

Royals and Racers Cut and paste job on “ how to follow the game” i see :wink:

Not at all. The club are putting big screens on the pitch at the Madejski for supporters to watch.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 18 Apr 2018 13:22

muirinho
Royal_jimmy I think this will be a tougher game than we envisage. The pressure is off them as they're safe so they're likely to have a right go at us. I actually think we should play 5 at the back and keep ourselves solid.

Who'd be in that back 5 though? Neither Aluko or Barrow are defensive at all, the idea of Blackett as a wingback gives me the heebyjeebies, and I'm not sure how many fit central defenders we'll have.

Best I can come up with, unless Elphick or McShare are back, is back 3 of Ilori, Moore, Blackett, with Gunter and Richards as the wingbacks.

It would be like Chelsea:

—————-Morata/Bod————
——Hazard/Barrow—Willian/Aluko-
Alonso/Richards——Moses/Gunter-
——Kante/Evans—Fabregas/Kelly —
——Blackett—- Moore—-Illori —-

Swift could play instead of the out of form Aluko. Evans could be JVB

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Apr 2018 15:39

PistolPete
muirinho

It would be like Chelsea:

—————-Morata/Bod————
——Hazard/Barrow—Willian/Aluko-
Alonso/Richards——Moses/Gunter-
——Kante/Evans—Fabregas/Kelly —
——Blackett—- Moore—-Illori —-

Swift could play instead of the out of form Aluko. Evans could be JVB

Can see that working - but not sure i'd want a revamp of the structure for such an important game.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2018 17:31

muirinho

Well you've nailed it then. Not that hard is it. :D

Would mean binning the wingers and moving Barrow to a free role behind the striker or you'd be horrendously open in central midfield and at the wing backs.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Apr 2018 23:36

The last thing these jokers need is another formation to not understand and fcuk up the game.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Apr 2018 09:55

Wednesday will win this one. Ever since Big Mick announced his departure from Ipswich, Luhukay has been making sure he won't get the boot from Wednesday early.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 19 Apr 2018 18:00

leon The last thing these jokers need is another formation to not understand and fcuk up the game.

hello leon

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 21 Apr 2018 11:20

John Smith Wednesday will win this one. Ever since Big Mick announced his departure from Ipswich, Luhukay has been making sure he won't get the boot from Wednesday early.

we going to win this John Smith
Last edited by North Royal Lad on 21 Apr 2018 11:24, edited 2 times in total.

double d

by double d » 21 Apr 2018 11:21

This is a must win game!!!! Lose and we could be right back in it and results could be catastrophic!!! Win and we are safe.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 21 Apr 2018 11:23

double d This is a must win game!!!! Lose and we could be right back in it and results could be catastrophic!!! Win and we are safe.

true dd we have to win .
barnsley can finish on 46 points .
if they win all the game . we need to get 4 point to be safe . o

223 posts