Roy Bentley

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Roy Bentley

by Sutekh » 20 Apr 2018 22:52

Roy Bentley, Reading manager in the mid 60s and later the club secretary in the late 70s early 80s is reported as having died today. He was 93.

Roy was also the last surviving member of the 1950 World Cup England squad and is obviously amongst one of Chelsea’s greatest players.

No doubt his name will bring back many memories for some of the older members of this board.

Hope the club recall his memory at the Ipswich game.

RIP Roy

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Roy Bentley

by Fox Talbot » 21 Apr 2018 09:36

Roy tried hard, against the odds of a stick-in-the-mud mentality, as manager for six years and was a good servant to the club and the game. He continued to live in Reading until near the end.

West Brom in the League Cup and Man City away in the FA Cup come to mind as high points.

RIP

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 21 Apr 2018 11:15

Was a great man to have as a manager. When we played Scunthorpe away whilst he was Reading's Manager, our train from Scunthorpe to Doncaster was cancelled, and the half dozen or so supporters would have missed the train to London. Roy said "Hop on here lads, we'll get you there on time" Here, being the coach hired by the club to get them to Doncaster Station, for their train home. He always had time to spare for us supporters for a chat before or after the game. (often both).

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 21 Apr 2018 12:17

The Royal Forester Was a great man to have as a manager. When we played Scunthorpe away whilst he was Reading's Manager, our train from Scunthorpe to Doncaster was cancelled, and the half dozen or so supporters would have missed the train to London. Roy said "Hop on here lads, we'll get you there on time" Here, being the coach hired by the club to get them to Doncaster Station, for their train home. He always had time to spare for us supporters for a chat before or after the game. (often both).

How nice is that, I've a mate who had a parent in the same nursing home as Roy in his final years , and he always had a soft spot for Reading . Lovely man who had a good life and may he now rest in peace.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 Apr 2018 14:05

Just before my time - was he manager before Jack Mansell?

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 21 Apr 2018 14:41

Mid Sussex Royal Just before my time - was he manager before Jack Mansell?

Yes , though Ray Henderson was a temporary manager for a little while , Roy Bentley managed from 63 to 69

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Apr 2018 19:46

Sutekh Roy Bentley, Reading manager in the mid 60s and later the club secretary in the late 70s early 80s is reported as having died today. He was 93.

Roy was also the last surviving member of the 1950 World Cup England squad and is obviously amongst one of Chelsea’s greatest players.

No doubt his name will bring back many memories for some of the older members of this board.

Hope the club recall his memory at the Ipswich game.

RIP Roy

Having had the round of applause recently for Ray Wilkins who had nothing to do with the club and last season for a relative of the owner I sincerely hope that his time at the club will be recognised next Saturday.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 21 Apr 2018 20:51

Still no mention on the OS. Unless I have missed something which is a disgrace.

Bacon Double Cheese
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Lincoln, the home of quality football and Peterborough which isn't

by Bacon Double Cheese » 22 Apr 2018 12:07

RIP In Peace Mr Bentley

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 23 Apr 2018 06:48

He was the Reading manager when I was my first games in 1967. RIP.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Apr 2018 13:50

East Grinstead Royal He was the Reading manager when I was my first games in 1967. RIP.

Hadn't realised that Roy Bentley had died until I saw his obituary in The i today.

I saw my first game in 1967 too. I didn't know who are manager was and, as a youngster, probably wasn't too bothered. However, as I grew older, I became aware of all of the good work Roy Bentley did for our club. It really is shocking if the club haven't picked up on it. Have either of the local e-rags carried the news of his death.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 25 Apr 2018 14:57

Jackson Corner Still no mention on the OS. Unless I have missed something which is a disgrace.

There was something on the 20th. April 2018 about his passing. I too missed it, but the club gave me a link to it, but can be seen if you keep clicking on the "View more" button on the latest news page. It seems the club will wait to see if there is a directive from the EFL to hold a minutes applause/silence. If they don't get one, it seems there won't be one. Now, that is a disgrace.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 25 Apr 2018 18:05

The Royal Forester
Jackson Corner Still no mention on the OS. Unless I have missed something which is a disgrace.

There was something on the 20th. April 2018 about his passing. I too missed it, but the club gave me a link to it, but can be seen if you keep clicking on the "View more" button on the latest news page. It seems the club will wait to see if there is a directive from the EFL to hold a minutes applause/silence. If they don't get one, it seems there won't be one. Now, that is a disgrace.

I looked the day after his passing and there was nothing. But thanks anyway. I agree there should be a minutes applause. Both manager and secretary and always spoke very fondly of his time at the club.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 25 Apr 2018 19:21

I sent a message to Low on his webchat today and the club a message on twitter asking if anything was happening on Saturday, given he's our oldest surviving manager, neither replied...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Apr 2018 20:37

Mid Sussex Royal I sent a message to Low on his webchat today and the club a message on twitter asking if anything was happening on Saturday, given he's our oldest surviving manager, neither replied...

That’s very poor. There should be a minute’s silence on Saturday.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Apr 2018 20:52

....and (despite half of our crowd not knowing who the hell he was) rightly so

Are Chelsea doing anything similar? He was a legend there too.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 25 Apr 2018 21:05

AthleticoSpizz ....and (despite half of our crowd not knowing who the hell he was) rightly so

Yes, Chelsea players are wearing black armbands and they are also holding a minutes applause at their next home match.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 25 Apr 2018 21:07

Mid Sussex Royal I sent a message to Low on his webchat today and the club a message on twitter asking if anything was happening on Saturday, given he's our oldest surviving manager, neither replied...

Try sending an E-mail to customer services at the club. Rob replied to mine quite quickly.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Apr 2018 07:38

The Royal Forester
AthleticoSpizz ....and (despite half of our crowd not knowing who the hell he was) rightly so

Yes, Chelsea players are wearing black armbands and they are also holding a minutes applause at their next home match.
good to hear....cheers RF

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Apr 2018 09:24

Zip

That’s very poor. There should be a minute’s silence on Saturday.

Esp after the "silences" for Ray Wilkins and Cyrille Regis who had no connection whatsoever with most clubs yet I presume the FL/FA felt it necessary to make it a mandatory thing for everyone.

I think that these things should kept for special/local connections with the clubs concerned and on occasion where something of national impact/importance has taken place otherwise it just lessens the impact.