Roy Bentley

Far Canal

Re: Roy Bentley

by Far Canal » 26 Apr 2018 11:22

Sutekh
Zip
Mid Sussex Royal I sent a message to Low on his webchat today and the club a message on twitter asking if anything was happening on Saturday, given he's our oldest surviving manager, neither replied...

That’s very poor. There should be a minute’s silence on Saturday.

Esp after the "silences" for Ray Wilkins and Cyrille Regis who had no connection whatsoever with most clubs yet I presume the FL/FA felt it necessary to make it a mandatory thing for everyone.

I think that these things should kept for special/local connections with the clubs concerned and on occasion where something of national impact/importance has taken place otherwise it just lessens the impact.

I agree entirely with the above and have emailed customerservice@readingfc.co.uk as follows:

I do hope the club will be commemorating Roy Bentley before the Ipswich match this Saturday.
As a man who served RFC as both manager and secretary, his passing has considerably more relevance to Reading supporters than high profile footballers unconnected with the club.
Given that he reached the age of 93 and by most accounts enjoyed a good life, I suggest a minutes applause would be the most appropriate gesture.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 26 Apr 2018 14:21

How about applause from the 63rd to the 69th minute (1963 to 1969 ) :wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Apr 2018 14:27

Rusty royal How about applause from the 63rd to the 69th minute (1963 to 1969 ) :wink:

What about for the full game? With injury time we should easily get to 93 minutes.

On second thoughts applauding while Reading turn out yet another shambles of a home performance might not be the message we want to subconsciously convey to the players.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 28 Apr 2018 21:11

If there was a minutes silence / applause for Roy I missed it and apologies.

If not I wonder about our priorities - Wilkins yes, Bentley no.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Apr 2018 17:34

Nice to see the club do nothing for Roy’s memory yesterday. Anything in the programme about him?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Apr 2018 17:48

....as already alluded to...how many of our current clientel would even know who he was (I do) without doing a google?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Apr 2018 18:17

Sutekh Nice to see the club do nothing for Roy’s memory yesterday.

Yeah, its not good. As a club you do the right thing for Roy and his family. You take care of details like these, and you don't leave yourself open to criticism like this. :(