Saturday

ITFC_Keane
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 03:00

Saturday

by ITFC_Keane » 23 Apr 2018 11:52

Some of our fanbase doesn't seem to be looking forward to travelling down to the Majeski....

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/428793/reading-away/#23

For me, it's always been a pleasure. Admittedly, I haven't caught public transport down there for years (since Elm Park went) but the drive is always straightforward. See you next week!

User avatar
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 17485
Joined: 23 Jun 2011 10:24
Location: Putting right what once went wrong

Re: Saturday

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Apr 2018 11:54

ITFC_Keane wrote:Some of our fanbase doesn't seem to be looking forward to travelling down to the Majeski....

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/428793/reading-away/#23

For me, it's always been a pleasure. Admittedly, I haven't caught public transport down there for years (since Elm Park went) but the drive is always straightforward. See you next week!

Thoughts on the game? Will your lot bother turning up?

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5322
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Saturday

by Hound » 23 Apr 2018 11:59

"It's like Wigan. But instead of friendly locals it's all people who complain at supermarkets"

quite liked that comment about people who complain at Supermarkets (mainly Waitrose). Though Reading obviously isn't like Wigan. At all.

tbf, most of those points are difficult to argue too much against. Best bet for an away fan is to get to Reading fairly early and have a few drinks in the town centre which has plenty of Pub options. Likewise after, get back to the centre as soon as you can on the shuttle bus.

Don't know what the train journey is like from Ipswich, but I don't imagine the train journey from Ipswich to anywhere (except maybe Norwich) is a particularly fast one.

ITFC_Keane
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 03:00

Re: Saturday

by ITFC_Keane » 23 Apr 2018 12:01

Pepe the Horseman wrote:
ITFC_Keane wrote:Some of our fanbase doesn't seem to be looking forward to travelling down to the Majeski....

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/428793/reading-away/#23

For me, it's always been a pleasure. Admittedly, I haven't caught public transport down there for years (since Elm Park went) but the drive is always straightforward. See you next week!

Thoughts on the game? Will your lot bother turning up?


You'll win. You always do against us. And we've got injuries (loads) and we're awaiting a decent manager for a change, but no-one's told the team, who have decamped to Butlins en masse with their trouser legs rolled up and knotted hankies on their heads......

User avatar
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 17485
Joined: 23 Jun 2011 10:24
Location: Putting right what once went wrong

Re: Saturday

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Apr 2018 12:02

ITFC_Keane wrote:
Pepe the Horseman wrote:
ITFC_Keane wrote:Some of our fanbase doesn't seem to be looking forward to travelling down to the Majeski....

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/428793/reading-away/#23

For me, it's always been a pleasure. Admittedly, I haven't caught public transport down there for years (since Elm Park went) but the drive is always straightforward. See you next week!

Thoughts on the game? Will your lot bother turning up?


You'll win. You always do against us. And we've got injuries (loads) and we're awaiting a decent manager for a change, but no-one's told the team, who have decamped to Butlins en masse with their trouser legs rolled up and knotted hankies on their heads......

Good to hear. Who's gonna be the new manager?


User avatar
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 32571
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 10:02
Location: From the Andes to the indies in my undies

Re: Saturday

by Silver Fox » 23 Apr 2018 12:03

Because going to Ipswich is always such a delight :shock: Plus once you get there they seem to charge prices based in the same economic world as service station food

ITFC_Keane
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 03:00

Re: Saturday

by ITFC_Keane » 23 Apr 2018 12:10

Hound wrote:"It's like Wigan. But instead of friendly locals it's all people who complain at supermarkets"

quite liked that comment about people who complain at Supermarkets (mainly Waitrose). Though Reading obviously isn't like Wigan. At all.

tbf, most of those points are difficult to argue too much against. Best bet for an away fan is to get to Reading fairly early and have a few drinks in the town centre which has plenty of Pub options. Likewise after, get back to the centre as soon as you can on the shuttle bus.

Don't know what the train journey is like from Ipswich, but I don't imagine the train journey from Ipswich to anywhere (except maybe Norwich) is a particularly fast one.


I only went when you were at Elm Park, and the journey was OK (London Liverpool St, tube to Paddington, train).

I've always driven to SJM and it's been fine. We've stopped and had lunch somewhere nice, got parked easily. Admittedly, it's not been pleasant watching us lose again (disputed last minute penalties etc) but we've all enjoyed the day out.

Now Swindon, well...that was terrible.

ITFC_Keane
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 03:00

Re: Saturday

by ITFC_Keane » 23 Apr 2018 12:14

Pepe the Horseman wrote:
ITFC_Keane wrote:
Pepe the Horseman wrote:Thoughts on the game? Will your lot bother turning up?


You'll win. You always do against us. And we've got injuries (loads) and we're awaiting a decent manager for a change, but no-one's told the team, who have decamped to Butlins en masse with their trouser legs rolled up and knotted hankies on their heads......

Good to hear. Who's gonna be the new manager?


Brian McDermott.

No, seriously have no idea. The likes of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard have been mentioned, but we're hoping it's the papers doing their usual. Wouldn't mind Jaap, tbh. A bit of dutch flair would go down well after years of neck and arseache from Mick.

ITFC_Keane
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 03:00

Re: Saturday

by ITFC_Keane » 23 Apr 2018 12:16

Silver Fox wrote:Because going to Ipswich is always such a delight :shock: Plus once you get there they seem to charge prices based in the same economic world as service station food

Aah, welcome to the Marcus Evans world of corporate hospitality.

How would you like your pie? Cold AND a fiver? Will do.

The only place where all the food is cold yet the beer warm.


User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1391
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: Saturday

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Apr 2018 12:28

ITFC_Keane wrote:
Pepe the Horseman wrote:
ITFC_Keane wrote:
You'll win. You always do against us. And we've got injuries (loads) and we're awaiting a decent manager for a change, but no-one's told the team, who have decamped to Butlins en masse with their trouser legs rolled up and knotted hankies on their heads......

Good to hear. Who's gonna be the new manager?


Brian McDermott.

No, seriously have no idea. The likes of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard have been mentioned, but we're hoping it's the papers doing their usual. Wouldn't mind Jaap, tbh. A bit of dutch flair would go down well after years of neck and arseache from Mick.


Trust us there is absolutelty no flair.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4029
Joined: 23 Nov 2005 01:55

Re: Saturday

by Jackson Corner » 23 Apr 2018 12:31

ITFC_Keane wrote:
Pepe the Horseman wrote:
ITFC_Keane wrote:Some of our fanbase doesn't seem to be looking forward to travelling down to the Majeski....

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/428793/reading-away/#23

For me, it's always been a pleasure. Admittedly, I haven't caught public transport down there for years (since Elm Park went) but the drive is always straightforward. See you next week!

Thoughts on the game? Will your lot bother turning up?


You'll win. You always do against us. And we've got injuries (loads) and we're awaiting a decent manager for a change, but no-one's told the team, who have decamped to Butlins en masse with their trouser legs rolled up and knotted hankies on their heads......

Ipswich May be poor but we are worse. I can’t believe there is a team in the division worst than us. As bad as you think Ipswich are trust me we are worse.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5322
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Saturday

by Hound » 23 Apr 2018 12:46

ITFC_Keane wrote:Now Swindon, well...that was terrible.


well yeah, goes without saying really

User avatar
massifheed
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: 26 Jan 2018 09:37

Re: Saturday

by massifheed » 23 Apr 2018 13:06

Old Man Andrews wrote:
ITFC_Keane wrote:
Pepe the Horseman wrote:Good to hear. Who's gonna be the new manager?


Brian McDermott.

No, seriously have no idea. The likes of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard have been mentioned, but we're hoping it's the papers doing their usual. Wouldn't mind Jaap, tbh. A bit of dutch flair would go down well after years of neck and arseache from Mick.


Trust us there is absolutelty no flair.


:D

Plus, if you find that watching too much attacking football has become a bore, and what you'd really rather do is watch the ball get passed around at the back, until giving it away and conceding, then JS is the very chap for you.

Handy as well, if you have a team that is worryingly high on morale.


Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 18732
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 08:37
Location: Nearby, unless you're somewhere else

Re: Saturday

by Forbury Lion » 23 Apr 2018 14:20

Pepe the Horseman wrote:
ITFC_Keane wrote:
Pepe the Horseman wrote:Thoughts on the game? Will your lot bother turning up?


You'll win. You always do against us. And we've got injuries (loads) and we're awaiting a decent manager for a change, but no-one's told the team, who have decamped to Butlins en masse with their trouser legs rolled up and knotted hankies on their heads......

Good to hear. Who's gonna be the new manager?
Jaap Stam is availalble

User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6550
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

Re: Saturday

by Sutekh » 23 Apr 2018 14:35

Forbury Lion wrote:
Pepe the Horseman wrote:
ITFC_Keane wrote:
You'll win. You always do against us. And we've got injuries (loads) and we're awaiting a decent manager for a change, but no-one's told the team, who have decamped to Butlins en masse with their trouser legs rolled up and knotted hankies on their heads......

Good to hear. Who's gonna be the new manager?
Jaap Stam is availalble


And Arsene Wenger apparently.

Jagermesiter1871
Member
Posts: 691
Joined: 25 Jul 2010 01:59

Re: Saturday

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Apr 2018 14:40

ITFC_Keane wrote:
Pepe the Horseman wrote:
ITFC_Keane wrote:
You'll win. You always do against us. And we've got injuries (loads) and we're awaiting a decent manager for a change, but no-one's told the team, who have decamped to Butlins en masse with their trouser legs rolled up and knotted hankies on their heads......

Good to hear. Who's gonna be the new manager?


Brian McDermott.

No, seriously have no idea. The likes of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard have been mentioned, but we're hoping it's the papers doing their usual. Wouldn't mind Jaap, tbh. A bit of dutch flair would go down well after years of neck and arseache from Mick.


Jaap.. Flair :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6550
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

Re: Saturday

by Sutekh » 23 Apr 2018 14:43

ITFC_Keane wrote:
Pepe the Horseman wrote:
ITFC_Keane wrote:Some of our fanbase doesn't seem to be looking forward to travelling down to the Majeski....

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/428793/reading-away/#23

For me, it's always been a pleasure. Admittedly, I haven't caught public transport down there for years (since Elm Park went) but the drive is always straightforward. See you next week!

Thoughts on the game? Will your lot bother turning up?


You'll win. You always do against us. And we've got injuries (loads) and we're awaiting a decent manager for a change, but no-one's told the team, who have decamped to Butlins en masse with their trouser legs rolled up and knotted hankies on their heads......


Reading have a load of injuries and suspensions and we're waiting to see what sort of new manager we've got seeing as there's nothing Paul Clement can do due to having his hands tied by an dreadfully unbalanced and unfit squad a good few of whom are injured or suspended.

And lots of teams have turned up for games against Reading half asleep or not really been there and yet have still managed to show more flair and certainly attacking effort than Reading. There's even been games where the opponents keeper might as well have been sat in the stands for all work he's actually had to do.

That said at least there has been some signs of life in the home games since Stam went so it can only get better.

User avatar
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 9719
Joined: 19 Apr 2004 08:37
Location: With grace we will suffer, with grace we shall recover

Re: Saturday

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Apr 2018 15:57

ITFC_Keane wrote:You'll win. You always do against us. And we've got injuries (loads) and we're awaiting a decent manager for a change, but no-one's told the team, who have decamped to Butlins en masse with their trouser legs rolled up and knotted hankies on their heads......


We're kind of banking on that being the case. We've been eyeing up this fixture as our get out of jail free card for about 6 weeks.

ITFC_Keane
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 03:00

Re: Saturday

by ITFC_Keane » 23 Apr 2018 16:35

From Despair To Where? wrote:
ITFC_Keane wrote:You'll win. You always do against us. And we've got injuries (loads) and we're awaiting a decent manager for a change, but no-one's told the team, who have decamped to Butlins en masse with their trouser legs rolled up and knotted hankies on their heads......


We're kind of banking on that being the case. We've been eyeing up this fixture as our get out of jail free card for about 6 weeks.


You're not STILL worrying about relegation, are you?

You only need another point max. Barnsley couldn't win against my local pub team, Bolton are, in horse racing parlance, out the back doing the washing up. You'll get a point at least on Saturday. We made Villa look like Man City. And we're terrible away.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5322
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Saturday

by Hound » 23 Apr 2018 16:43

I think very few of us think we'll go down. However, we are trying to convince ourselves its a possibility to give some excitement to an utterly dismal season

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], windermereROYAL and 54 guests

It is currently 28 May 2018 10:48