Saturday

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Saturday

by PistolPete » 25 Apr 2018 08:26

Snowflake Royal
John Smith
Zip

I don’t blame Clement for the mess he inherited. We certainly haven’t improved though. We showed more attacking intent against Leeds and Derby in the fag end weeks of Stam’s tenure than we have since Clement arrived. I hope we see some evidence of a positive approach on Saturday.

What a disgraceful set of posts. Disrespectful yet typical of a football fan.

What were you expecting from Clement? His job was to keep us up and he has. It's not his fault we're getting daft red cards that keep costing us games. Under Stam Fulham would have anhilated us - in the first 20 mins we were all over them. Have some respect and perspective you joker.

I don't know how to phrase this politely, but I'll try.

1.16 points per game is objectively and clearly better than 0.95 points per game under Stam over the course of this season, and vastly better than the 0.50 points per game over Stam's last six matches. It is an objective fact that we are better under Clement.

1.5 goals a game conceded under Clement
2.5 goals a game conceded under Stam in his last six games

Yes, we are scoring fewer... but we've actually kept two clean sheets and concede far fewer.

Clement has addressed the major issue we had with fannying about at the back and conceding dangerous possession turnovers leading to goals. He's organised the defence better, yeah they're still making mistakes and we've still taken a couple of beatings, no one claimed he was a miracle worker.

If someone can't cope with these objective facts, well, if you can't say something nice, say nothing I s'pose.

You've chosen points as your metric to be objective about. In the past, other metrics have suited you. How about you do the Stam/Clement stats test on, say, shots on goal?

I'm here to back Clement for the foreseeable, but we've been DAMN LUCKY to pick up the points we have recently.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Apr 2018 08:30

Clement has done ok so far. I am utterly convinced that we would not have won those two home games under Stam and we would now be facing relegation if he had not been sacked. Now it looks like we will be safe with a game to spare. We will see what Clement can do next season.

Then we have a free hit at pissing on Colin’s automatic promotion parade on the last day.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2018 08:44

I don't think PC has done a lot wrong tbh. Team selections look right generally, same with the subs. Tweaks defensively have helped.

We've just continued to play a bit shit. To actually come out with 7 points from the performances has been pretty impressive

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Apr 2018 08:47

Hound I don't think PC has done a lot wrong tbh. Team selections look right generally, same with the subs. Tweaks defensively have helped.

We've just continued to play a bit shit. To actually come out with 7 points from the performances has been pretty impressive

The midfield is so weak at the moment and unfortunately for Clement he can only polish a turd so much. Swift and Kelly are the most lightweight midfielders in the League and to support them we have either Joey Van Den Berg or Dave Edwards! That doesn't give a manager a lot to work with really.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Apr 2018 09:21

Zip
John Smith What a disgraceful set of posts. Disrespectful yet typical of a football fan.

What were you expecting from Clement? His job was to keep us up and he has. It's not his fault we're getting daft red cards that keep costing us games. Under Stam Fulham would have anhilated us - in the first 20 mins we were all over them. Have some respect and perspective you joker.

Oh shut the oxf*rd up you stupid cock. If you bother to read what I have said I have no problem with Clement. He inherited an absolute shambles but our performances have remained poor. Yes we look like we will stay up so job done but we remain a poor side.

Well excuse me!

Can I ask what your expectations of Clement were when he joined? To start going smashing teams 5-0 or something?!

You are a clown and a fool.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Apr 2018 09:35

John Smith
Zip
John Smith What a disgraceful set of posts. Disrespectful yet typical of a football fan.

Oh shut the oxf*rd up you stupid cock. If you bother to read what I have said I have no problem with Clement. He inherited an absolute shambles but our performances have remained poor. Yes we look like we will stay up so job done but we remain a poor side.

Well excuse me!

Can I ask what your expectations of Clement were when he joined? To start going smashing teams 5-0 or something?!

You are the biggest tool on here. My expectations were that he would keep us up and that the level of performance would improve given how dire we had been under Stam. Clement needs a year before we can properly evaluate how well or badly he has done but I had hoped for a bounce under his tenure and that hasn’t happened.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Apr 2018 09:36

Zip
John Smith
Zip

Well excuse me!

You are the biggest tool on here. My expectations were that he would keep us up and that the level of performance would improve given how dire we had been under Stam. Clement needs a year before we can properly evaluate how well or badly he has done but I had hoped for a bounce under his tenure and that hasn’t happened.

Apart from the two home wins that have secured our safety?

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 25 Apr 2018 09:39

Zip

I'm sorry but that is nonsense. Clement has got 7 points from 3 homes games. Before that we hadn't won at home since November. So clements impact on our home form was a bounce of trampoline proportions compared to previous home form.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Apr 2018 09:45

Only one Trevor Morley
Zip

I'm sorry but that is nonsense. Clement has got 7 points from 3 homes games. Before that we hadn't won at home since November. So clements impact on our home form was a bounce of trampoline proportions compared to previous home form.

I didn’t think our performances were any better than games we have lost or drawn, ie Wolves, Derby, Leeds, Hull etc. We had no luck in a number of home games this season under Stam. We were very fortunate to beat QPR and Preston.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Apr 2018 09:47

Old Man Andrews
Zip
John Smith Well excuse me!

Our points per game under Clement is marginally high than under Stam. Do you think we have played any better in our last six games?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Apr 2018 09:52

Zip
Old Man Andrews
Zip

Our points per game under Clement is marginally high than under Stam. Do you think we have played any better in our last six games?

He isn't here to make us play better. He is here to save us from relegation.

It doesn't really matter if his points per game average is slightly better, moderately better or wildly better. It is still better than Stam and therefore he has been a huge success.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Apr 2018 10:01

Zip
Old Man Andrews
Zip

Yes, yes I do.

jar95

by jar95 » 25 Apr 2018 10:02

anybody would think portman road is an enjoyable day out :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2018 10:45

Old Man Andrews
Zip
Old Man Andrews

He isn't here to make us play better. He is here to save us from relegation.

exactly that. I think we have been very marginally better. In the home games we've shown more fight and a big defensive improvement vs a moderate attacking decline. On balance a bit better

But all he needs to do this year is keep us up, and we are 90% of the way to that - due to the 7 points we picked up at home

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Apr 2018 10:50

Fact is Clement came in, with the team on 1 win in 18 matches, and got 2 wins and a draw in our home games.

Without those, we'd be in the relegation zone right now. Scary thought.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 25 Apr 2018 11:05

Zip
Only one Trevor Morley
Zip

I didn’t think our performances were any better than games we have lost or drawn, ie Wolves, Derby, Leeds, Hull etc. We had no luck in a number of home games this season under Stam. We were very fortunate to beat QPR and Preston.

a bounce factor is about accumulating points. and we kept two clean sheets. As Clement himself said its all about results when he took over. We'll see more of the Clement style of football next season. Unlike Stam he was willing to compromise in order to get results.

massifheed

by massifheed » 25 Apr 2018 11:14

Only one Trevor Morley Clement has got 7 points from 3 homes games. Before that we hadn't won at home since November. So clements impact on our home form was a bounce of trampoline proportions compared to previous home form.

I would add that even just watching the games there was a marked improvement in commitment and effort on the part of the players. They'd clearly been told to stop passing it around at the back and start going forward with the ball, and that's what certainly what was noticeable for me from the first game that PC took over.

Fair enough, the away games, and the red cards have been pretty poor, but I would certainly class the performance and resultant home wins as a 'bounce'.

I appreciate that others may have difference criteria.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2018 11:27

Actually quite looking forward to Saturday now. Have a good feeling we'll get the win to confirm we stay up, and hopefully get a bit of an atmosphere etc to go with it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2018 19:52

PistolPete
Snowflake Royal

I don't know how to phrase this politely, but I'll try.

1.16 points per game is objectively and clearly better than 0.95 points per game under Stam over the course of this season, and vastly better than the 0.50 points per game over Stam's last six matches. It is an objective fact that we are better under Clement.

1.5 goals a game conceded under Clement
2.5 goals a game conceded under Stam in his last six games

Yes, we are scoring fewer... but we've actually kept two clean sheets and concede far fewer.

Clement has addressed the major issue we had with fannying about at the back and conceding dangerous possession turnovers leading to goals. He's organised the defence better, yeah they're still making mistakes and we've still taken a couple of beatings, no one claimed he was a miracle worker.

If someone can't cope with these objective facts, well, if you can't say something nice, say nothing I s'pose.

You've chosen points as your metric to be objective about. In the past, other metrics have suited you. How about you do the Stam/Clement stats test on, say, shots on goal?

I'm here to back Clement for the foreseeable, but we've been DAMN LUCKY to pick up the points we have recently.

I've chosen points AND goals conceded (and mentioned goals scored), because at this point in the season, in our circumstances, they're all that really matter and all that Clement should be measured on. In the past, other metrics have been worth considering in addition to points.

We made our luck through workrate, organisation and determination.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 25 Apr 2018 21:27

jar95 anybody would think portman road is an enjoyable day out :lol:

It's a bloody expensive one. It's great they still play at Portman Road rather than a souless bowl but from my experience there it's as dead as the Mad Stad or any other ground and the view is pants. Also the poor old wheelchair users have to sit with the home fans!