Baizuo

Re: Anyone Nervous?

by Baizuo » 25 Apr 2018 03:48

Are we mathematically safe yet?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Apr 2018 08:25

I’m looking forward to all of those true believers who said we would not be involved in a relegation battle, there was no way we’d be anywhere near it or you’d need to be a fool to think the way the season was going we’d be in any sort of trouble coming on gloating.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Apr 2018 08:31

I think 1 more point will secure it, we'd probably survive with our current points haul

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Apr 2018 08:43

leon I’m looking forward to all of those true believers who said we would not be involved in a relegation battle, there was no way we’d be anywhere near it or you’d need to be a fool to think the way the season was going we’d be in any sort of trouble coming on gloating.

I’m fully prepared for John Smith to go off on one.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 25 Apr 2018 08:55

genome
leon I’m looking forward to all of those true believers who said we would not be involved in a relegation battle, there was no way we’d be anywhere near it or you’d need to be a fool to think the way the season was going we’d be in any sort of trouble coming on gloating.

I agree

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Apr 2018 09:10

Well, obviously all the time we've spent in the bottom three meant people were right to be worried yeah?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Apr 2018 09:25

Hiram K Hackenbacker
genome

I agree

I'm here guys, hello. Have very enjoyable Wednesdays won't you please

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Apr 2018 09:27

John Smith
Hiram K Hackenbacker
genome

I agree

You can just spend the day knowing you were right all along with a smile on your face. Congratulations.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Apr 2018 09:30

Old Man Andrews
John Smith
Hiram K Hackenbacker I agree

You can just spend the day knowing you were right all along with a smile on your face. Congratulations.

Being the kind of sympathetic soul I am, I'm more concerned for the welfare of those who even contemplated our relegation, but hey - that's me

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Apr 2018 09:31

John Smith
Old Man Andrews
John Smith I'm here guys, hello. Have very enjoyable Wednesdays won't you please

Being the kind of sympathetic soul I am, I'm more concerned for the welfare of those who even contemplated our relegation, but hey - that's me

Heroes don't always wear capes mate.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Apr 2018 09:52

Silver Fox Well, obviously all the time we've spent in the bottom three meant people were right to be worried yeah?

So are you saying we were never in a relegation battle?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Apr 2018 09:57

I never thought we'd go down, call that whatever you like

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Apr 2018 10:01

Silver Fox I never thought we'd go down, call that whatever you like

Me too. But being worried about going down and thinking that you will most likely survive aren't mutually exclusive

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Apr 2018 10:01

If you’re in the boxing ring and never think you’ll lose - is it not now a fight?

Having confidence that we would survive but not acknowledging it’s a relegation battle is kind of daft, besides if anything the notion of survival suggests a battle or fight in the first place. You can’t survive of what you don’t take part.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Apr 2018 10:03

CountryRoyal

You can’t survive of what you don’t take part.

This actually hurts my head.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Apr 2018 10:09

paultheroyal
CountryRoyal

You can’t survive of what you don’t take part.

This actually hurts my head.

Mine too. Ive just woken up after oxf*rd all sleep and feel like death so apologies if my ramblings are more inane than usual.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2018 20:01

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
He did, if you look at it that way. Aluko did, too. And he is still trashed every week. So, maybe a rather narrow way of looking at it.

I guess my point was that Barrow...our player of the season...in terms of his overall play...hasn't exactly taken off and really thrived and flourished under Clement thus far.

And they knew each other, etc. Familiarity, which one would have thought, would be an advantage.

Maybe I was watching Barrow too closely, given their history. That's just my opinion, based on what I've seen on the field. Its all about opinions, and if you've seen different out there, that's fine.

Every decent new manager taking over a team in relegation trouble will prioritise cutting down on silly mistakes and improving defensive organisation and workrate. That's exactly what Clement has done.

Clement has 1.16 points per game in his six.
Stam had 0.7 in his last ten, which include the only win he managed in 18 games!

So far, Clement has done exactly what he needed to do. If his two wins had come against Sunderland and Wednesday rather than Preston and QPR, everyone would be delighted right now.

I agree, Clement's remit is a narrow one. So rIght now anyway, I suppose he's done 'exactly' what he needed to, in one sense anyway.

Ideally, I'd have liked to have seen better...and I bet Clement would have, too. And, I don't believe we'd have seen exactly the same thing under any other manager out there, either. But yes, do better than the run Stam was on, and stay up, that's the extent of it right now.

Going forward, we'll be looking thru a different lens. Being better than Stam's final season would be an incredibly low bar and yardstick by which to be judged and measured by, and the standards to set.

What about next season, would measuring Clement's avg weekly points total vs Stam's first season be a consideration at all? Stam took over a 19th placed team, so would there be any relevance or parallel's?

But yeah, I agree. Right now in these 8 games, it is what it is. That's the bottom line and the scope.

Nah, Clement gets a clean slate next season. Target to have a nice boring staging season finishing about 12th. Anywhere between about 9th and 16th acceptable.

Preferably with a settled side found and a decent finish.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Apr 2018 20:07

Clement needs at least a couple of transfer windows to try and reshape the squad. We need to try and consolidate next season. I would expect there to be a lot of outgoings over the summer.

Surprising that Jonathan Low is still referring us being involved in a relegation battle. It would now take an awful lot of results to go against us for us to go down now.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 25 Apr 2018 20:43

Zip
Surprising that Jonathan Low is still referring us being involved in a relegation battle. It would now take an awful lot of results to go against us for us to go down now.

I'm not. He's a journalist, he needs to drum up interest.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Apr 2018 20:47

Zip Clement needs at least a couple of transfer windows to try and reshape the squad. We need to try and consolidate next season. I would expect there to be a lot of outgoings over the summer.

Any way you paper over it, while it`s unlikely we will go down now until we are mathamatically safe we are still involved. in the scrap.