Back from the ****

204 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the ****

by genome » 30 Apr 2018 10:03

Theroyalbox On a slightly more positive note we only lost 4-0, had we lost 16-0 it could've been very damaging to our goal difference.

You lot always look at the negatives

Not totally out of the question next week tbf

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 30 Apr 2018 10:05

pretty devastated tbh. But that Burton result was a real blessing. If it had been a draw or Bolton win, Burton would have been down, but Bolton have a far easier last game than them and would have caught us with a win (if we lose).

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 30 Apr 2018 10:08

genome
Theroyalbox On a slightly more positive note we only lost 4-0, had we lost 16-0 it could've been very damaging to our goal difference.

taking your suggestion seriously, we would have to lose 7-0 and Bolton win 7-0 for it to be an issue.

If goal difference comes into the reckoning, we lose v Barnsley, but are safe compared to Bolton, Burton and even Birmingham.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 30 Apr 2018 10:34

LUX
genome

taking your suggestion seriously, we would have to lose 7-0 and Bolton win 7-0 for it to be an issue.

If goal difference comes into the reckoning, we lose v Barnsley, but are safe compared to Bolton, Burton and even Birmingham.

I think on that front were going to be okay mate. In all seriousness it would take some shocking results for us to go down, but this is the final game of the season and to be quite honest f*cking anything can happen. Still will probs be a good day out wont it ? wont it............?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Apr 2018 10:53

genome

A few years back didn't Cardiff lose their last game of the season 6-1 (at Preston)
and then dropped out of the top six by a single goal on GD?

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 30 Apr 2018 12:30

Snowball
genome

A few years back didn't Cardiff lose their last game of the season 6-1 (at Preston)
and then dropped out of the top six by a single goal on GD?

yes

Ingham

by Ingham » 30 Apr 2018 15:12

When was the last time before Saturday that there was chanting at the Mad Stad of "Your not fit to where the shirt" aimed at the home team?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Apr 2018 15:14

Ingham When was the last time before Saturday that there was chanting at the Mad Stad of "Your not fit to where the shirt" aimed at the home team?

Possibly Burns era.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 30 Apr 2018 15:37

Old Man Andrews
Ingham When was the last time before Saturday that there was chanting at the Mad Stad of "Your not fit to where the shirt" aimed at the home team?

Possibly Burns era.

Probably me at Rasiak.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Apr 2018 15:47

facaldaqui
Snowball
I go to games now and am BORED, expecting few half-chances, the inevitable cock-up, but the saddest part
is that feeling that too many of the eleven on the pitch, really look like they don't give a toss.

I agree with your comments. But I still believe players give a toss--it's not just about Reading, it's about their own careers, their futures, their reputations. In psychological terms, I think what we're seeing is fatalism, which can look very like not giving a toss. When we keep failing, we expect to fail, and that makes us lackadaisical.

I suspect you are right. Looks like whoever our sports psychologist is, he/she is not up to the magnitude of the current challenge. That fatalism has to be driven out of the squad's minds.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Apr 2018 18:46

So I figured I'd hold back from posting until I've been able to assess that game with a level head.

To start off with, it wasn't a 4-0 game but the same old issues cropped up, namely lack of fitness and lack of confidence to the point everything Ipswich did just turned to gold whereas before it was really just a bit of a lacklustre game between poor sides which made the capitulation all the more unbearable.

We completely lost our defensive shape when Omar had to go off, not at all helped by Barrow and especially Aluko not giving their full backs enough support, I recall one moment where Aluko again had drifted central and I can't recall who was trying to chase back, might have been Bod (lol) but Ilori was just getting overran on the right.

Most predicted we would be too lightweight in the middle with Swift and Kelly so no surprises that it was true, it might have been alright if Swift was at least pulling off some decent passes like he is capable of but he had a really poor game.

For Cardiff I'd honestly just go for a defence team that looks to hit them on the break, the longer we keep the game level, the more Cardiff will be going at us, so something along the lines of:

Mannone
Bacuna, Ilori, Moore, Elphick, Gunter
Aluko, Evans, Swift/Kelly, Barrow
Bod/Yann

Can't decide between Bod and Yann, I feel Bod puts more effort in but Yann on his day is near unbeatable in the air, I know Aluko is oxf*rd annoying but I can't see who else we have, we don't really have options at full back either. I would say we need one of Swift or Kelly to be able to give us a creative output, if we focus purely on defence, I believe Cardiff will eventually break us down.

Anyway, that's my input.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Apr 2018 19:09

tidus_mi2 So I figured I'd hold back from posting until I've been able to assess that game with a level head.

To start off with, it wasn't a 4-0 game but the same old issues cropped up, namely lack of fitness and lack of confidence to the point everything Ipswich did just turned to gold whereas before it was really just a bit of a lacklustre game between poor sides which made the capitulation all the more unbearable.

We completely lost our defensive shape when Omar had to go off, not at all helped by Barrow and especially Aluko not giving their full backs enough support, I recall one moment where Aluko again had drifted central and I can't recall who was trying to chase back, might have been Bod (lol) but Ilori was just getting overran on the right.

Most predicted we would be too lightweight in the middle with Swift and Kelly so no surprises that it was true, it might have been alright if Swift was at least pulling off some decent passes like he is capable of but he had a really poor game.

For Cardiff I'd honestly just go for a defence team that looks to hit them on the break, the longer we keep the game level, the more Cardiff will be going at us, so something along the lines of:

Mannone
Bacuna, Ilori, Moore, Elphick, Gunter
Aluko, Evans, Swift/Kelly, Barrow
Bod/Yann

Can't decide between Bod and Yann, I feel Bod puts more effort in but Yann on his day is near unbeatable in the air, I know Aluko is oxf*rd annoying but I can't see who else we have, we don't really have options at full back either. I would say we need one of Swift or Kelly to be able to give us a creative output, if we focus purely on defence, I believe Cardiff will eventually break us down.

Anyway, that's my input.

I don’t think you will be far away with that team. I thought Kermorgant was very poor on Saturday so would start with Bodvarsson. I’ve had enough of Aluko thinking he is a central midfielder. We have so few options though which is ironic given how many wingers we had at the start of the season. This is the problem. Players like Aluko, Gunter, Swift, Kelly etc etc should not be starting but we have so few options that they remain in the side. Anyway what is certain is that we cannot start with both Kelly and Swift.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Apr 2018 19:21

Denver Royal
facaldaqui Definitely lack of character and lack of grit. Our last promotion team was not ultra talented, but you had great character from the likes of Karacan, Tabb, and Leigertwood, and even Noel Hunt, and then leadership from Roberts.

Yep, Jason Roberts was a good signing for us. Obviously a good player, but he brought leadership as well. A solid pro. He was everything this current lot aren't. Imagine him arriving here today and taking a look at this shower. We could use a few more like him.

Do you just come on here to wind people up, Jason Roberts?

Signed for us in 2012, made 28 apps and scored 6 crucial goals in the second half of our championship promotion and made 5 decent assists that ½ season… hero status granted and rightly so. But then when got promoted to the prem he signed a new contract with prem terms, straight off had an operation and never kicked a ball for us again… he didn’t retier like any decent pro would have done. He just collected his wages and bleed us whilst feathering his future career in media and jumped on the kick it out media Gravy train.

Jason Roberts? We need players like Jason oxf*rd Roberts? He’s a complete an utter professional oxf*rd who played this club good and propper. We don’t need any more like him FFS. The man should be wipped off our histrory books.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 30 Apr 2018 21:55

Oilroyal
Denver Royal
facaldaqui Definitely lack of character and lack of grit. Our last promotion team was not ultra talented, but you had great character from the likes of Karacan, Tabb, and Leigertwood, and even Noel Hunt, and then leadership from Roberts.

Yep, Jason Roberts was a good signing for us. Obviously a good player, but he brought leadership as well. A solid pro. He was everything this current lot aren't. Imagine him arriving here today and taking a look at this shower. We could use a few more like him.

Signed for us in 2012, made 28 apps and scored 6 crucial goals in the second half of our championship promotion and made 5 decent assists that ½ season… hero status granted and rightly so. But then when got promoted to the prem he signed a new contract with prem terms, straight off had an operation and never kicked a ball for us again… he didn’t retier like any decent pro would have done. He just collected his wages and bleed us whilst feathering his future career in media and jumped on the kick it out media Gravy train.

Jason Roberts? We need players like Jason oxf*rd Roberts? He’s a complete an utter professional oxf*rd who played this club good and propper. We don’t need any more like him FFS. The man should be wipped off our histrory books.

I agree that in his second season he was being paid for doing nothing, but his part in getting us up was priceless. It wasn't so much the goals as the way he helped galvanise us. We've only got to the Prem twice, and the players who got us there earn legend status, whatever happened later.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 30 Apr 2018 22:08

facaldaqui
Oilroyal
Denver Royal

I agree that in his second season he was being paid for doing nothing, but his part in getting us up was priceless. It wasn't so much the goals as the way he helped galvanise us. We've only got to the Prem twice, and the players who got us there earn legend status, whatever happened later.

If that's the case, surely the players and manager who got us to within two kicks of the prem deserve, if not legend status, at least some degree of respect.

Not getting that though, are they?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Apr 2018 22:16

muirinho
facaldaqui
Oilroyal

If that's the case, surely the players and manager who got us to within two kicks of the prem deserve, if not legend status, at least some degree of respect.

Not getting that though, are they?

Not sure it works like that. Jason Roberts was just injured, he didn’t go round shitting on his own legacy.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Apr 2018 22:17

facaldaqui
Oilroyal
Denver Royal

There was also a squad of honest players who also got us promoted. Roberts did an amazing job from Jan to May (5 months) but as seasoned pro coming to the end of his playing career he who knew exactly how to play a newly promoted club with a rich kid chairman. I witnessed him walking in to the premier suit every match day in our season in the prem with his family, not wanting to be there, not having no interest in the club, but contractually obliged. I remember Roberts being a guest on goals on Sunday with Ben Shephard and Chris Kamara and Roberts trying to explain why he hadn’t retired. Kamara was having none of it and just looked at him in disgust. Roberts as much as he helped MacD’s side to get promoted that year, he became a parasite to club and it makes my blood boil when he associates himself to this club through his media work.
But each to their own… he excited you for 5 months but pissed me off for his entire 18 month of money taking extension. Roberts saw his contract out to the very last day. in my mind the man sits in the same camp of Stam both oxf*rd without a care for the club
Last edited by Oilroyal on 30 Apr 2018 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Apr 2018 22:20

Oilroyal
facaldaqui
Oilroyal

There was also a squad of honest players who also got us promoted. Roberts did an amazing job from Jan to May (5 months) but as seasoned pro coming to the end of his playing career he who knew exactly how to play a newly promoted club with a rich kid chairman. I witnessed him walking in to the premier suit every match day in our season in the prem with his family, not wanting to be there, not having no interest in the club, but contractually obliged. I remember Roberts being a guest on goals on Sunday with Ben Shephard and Chris Kamara and Roberts trying to explain why he hadn’t retired. Kamara was having none of it and just looked at him in disgust. Roberts as much as he helped MacD’s side to get promoted that year, he became a parasite to club and it makes my blood boil when he associates himself to this club through his media work.
But each to their own… he excited you for 5 months but pissed me off for his entire 18 month of money taking extension.

So you hate Stephen Quinn right?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Apr 2018 22:21

strap
Jackson Corner Surely Arsene Wenger should be on that list? Not that I need to check that it’s 0%!!!!!!!!!

Spot on - the eagle-eyed would have spotted that the original list was only those managers who had managed 5 or more opponents games at the MadStad. Not sure if that was actually the question, so if not apologies, wrong query.

Full list of all managers who have ever managed 5 or more times v RFC runs to 378 different managers, so won't list all. But Arsene Wenger is our nemesis as you correctly point out - 10 games against us and 10 wins! With a goal diff of 11 - 34 = -23

Big Sam may have lost all 5 games at the MadStad, but his "home" record is a bit better W2 D1 L2.

Thank you strap I didn’t realise so many different managers had come up against multiple times. A fascinating list. Warnock only 5 wins in 29 games! Sadly I fear he will add one more to that Sunday.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Apr 2018 22:27

leon
Oilroyal
facaldaqui

But each to their own… he excited you for 5 months but pissed me off for his entire 18 month of money taking extension.

So you hate Stephen Quinn right?

nope, Quinn was frozen our by Stam.. now unfit and after a season and a half of being in no-mans-land couldnt give a shit about this club. cant really blame him, was a half decent palyer... but like me, he speaks his mind. Not one for the control freak Stam and too late for Clement.a

204 posts