MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a) sponsored by others slipping up, hopefully

228 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a) sponsored by others slipping up, hopefully

by genome » 02 May 2018 11:32

Old Man Andrews
windermereROYAL
genome Ali Al-Habsi just tweeted that he's going to be in attendance on Sunday. What a lad.

Can`t we sign him on a one game contract?

How many points would you estimate he won us last season? He has been a huge loss to us. Mannone hasn't been horrendously bad but he isn't a match saver like Al-Habsi (barring QPR).

Well, if we stay up by less that two points on Sunday, then Mannone's save has basically kept us up.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 May 2018 11:37

genome
Old Man Andrews
windermereROYAL

How many points would you estimate he won us last season? He has been a huge loss to us. Mannone hasn't been horrendously bad but he isn't a match saver like Al-Habsi (barring QPR).

Well, if we stay up by less that two points on Sunday, then Mannone's save has basically kept us up.

But it could be argued that with Al-Habsi in goal this season we would already be safe. I know thats a largely pointless argument to have and everything I just think it has been largely forgotten how important Al-Habsi was to us.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 May 2018 11:38

Old Man Andrews I know thats a largely pointless argument to have

You must be new here.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 02 May 2018 12:04

Old Man Andrews
windermereROYAL
genome Ali Al-Habsi just tweeted that he's going to be in attendance on Sunday. What a lad.

A lot of points. Although that Mannone penalty save will most likely be the thing that keeps us up tbh.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 May 2018 12:22

leon
Sutekh
russyb

I genuinely think we should do this, 451 two banks of four, man for man marking and keep solid, have our one shot on their goal and hope its enough. As for clement threatening to make changes he should. I would put Bacuna back in somewhere, Watson RB if fit, Gunter Left back, Rimonata in the middle with Kelly.

Perhaps go 5 at the back with Elpihick added to Moor and Ilori. Fairly certain Bacuna will be right back and gunter at left back. Get them to play defensively and stick Berg and Evans in as defensive midfielders. Use pace of Barrow and Aluko to catch Cardiff on occasional breakaways.

More than anything it's key Reading try and stay in the game as long as possible so as to maintain Fulham's hope as long as possible not to mention trying to depress Burton and Barnsley's efforts.

However I suspect whatever is tried won't be enough.

Yes - add in more defenders and midfielders - drop Aluko, play Barrow on the left but not a "winger" on the right. defend from the front.

Not sure "Barrow" and "Defend from the front" should be used in the same sentence...

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 May 2018 12:33

tidus_mi2 Alright I've put £10 on the Judas bet, Cardiff to win, Burton to win, Barnsley to win and Brum to win or draw. So I have two outcomes:

1) Reading stay up
2) I get 1k

Just put a fiver on the Judas bet acca myself. So either Reading stay up or I bag just shy of £700. That's assuming one of the two desired scenarios plays out of course.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 May 2018 14:03

Tilehurstsouthbank
leon
Sutekh
Perhaps go 5 at the back with Elpihick added to Moor and Ilori. Fairly certain Bacuna will be right back and gunter at left back. Get them to play defensively and stick Berg and Evans in as defensive midfielders. Use pace of Barrow and Aluko to catch Cardiff on occasional breakaways.

More than anything it's key Reading try and stay in the game as long as possible so as to maintain Fulham's hope as long as possible not to mention trying to depress Burton and Barnsley's efforts.

However I suspect whatever is tried won't be enough.

Yes - add in more defenders and midfielders - drop Aluko, play Barrow on the left but not a "winger" on the right. defend from the front.

Not sure "Barrow" and "Defend from the front" should be used in the same sentence...

we have two "wingers" who can't provide defensive cover - one of them isn't even a good winger.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 May 2018 14:18

leon
Tilehurstsouthbank
leon

we have two "wingers" who can't provide defensive cover - one of them isn't even a good winger.

This!!!! For all the justified slating of the defence all season, and particularly on Saturday, they've had so little cover and help from the guys in front of them.

IMO this is why Gunter has looked marginally better generally on the left than on the right - not because he's better as an LB than an RB, but because Barrow was marginally less abysmal* than Aluko at cover. Richards has had one good game as a full back and struggled the rest, Bacuna the same, less said about Blackett the better etc

Same with the CBs - they've been trying to stop a tsunami of attacks, with the likes of Swift standing around watching.

*When I say less abysmal of course, what I actually mean is, he's at least physically present where he should be, which is more than you could say for Aluko.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 May 2018 14:24

Aluko, the mystery wrapped up in an enigma.

biff

by biff » 02 May 2018 14:42

Sutekh Aluko, the mystery wrapped up in an enigma.

Racist.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 May 2018 18:47

You know what, I'm oxf*rd bored of Reading fans everywhere saying we don't have a chance, bullshit. Obviously this isn't to everyone but the "We have no hope of winning" brigade, before the Ipswich game many of you arguably would have suggested the team has shown more fight, more desire, we gained 7pts of 9 at home and were doing well against Fulham until they got their noses in front and we seemed to do our usual collapse in confidence.

I have no doubt in my mind that if we go 1-0 down that will be us done, sure but that's different than writing the game off before it has even begun, Cardiff need to win, they can't bank on Birmingham doing them a favour and the longer the game stays at 0-0 the more Cardiff will attack, potentially leaving gaps at the back to exploit.

Be positive ffs.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 May 2018 14:31

McShane and Harriott :shock: both passed fit enough to be considered for Sunday. I expect neither will be involved but at least it's good news on the injury front.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 May 2018 14:59

Sutekh McShane and Harriott :shock: both passed fit enough to be considered for Sunday. I expect neither will be involved but at least it's good news on the injury front.

Is it? I suspect neither will be here next season.

Shame, I liked Harriott but he's clearly crocked and McShane is past it and a liability.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 May 2018 17:23

We ruined their season 7 years ago when we dicked them 3-0 in the play-offs, I hope we do it again.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 04 May 2018 17:26

tidus_mi2 You know what, I'm oxf*rd bored of Reading fans everywhere saying we don't have a chance, bullshit. Obviously this isn't to everyone but the "We have no hope of winning" brigade, before the Ipswich game many of you arguably would have suggested the team has shown more fight, more desire, we gained 7pts of 9 at home and were doing well against Fulham until they got their noses in front and we seemed to do our usual collapse in confidence.

I have no doubt in my mind that if we go 1-0 down that will be us done, sure but that's different than writing the game off before it has even begun, Cardiff need to win, they can't bank on Birmingham doing them a favour and the longer the game stays at 0-0 the more Cardiff will attack, potentially leaving gaps at the back to exploit.

Be positive ffs.

Suspension of disbelief is one thing, but getting stuffed by Ip***** was a bit too soon after Sheffield. Or is your interpretation of those two games unique?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 05 May 2018 22:23

I am already shitting it.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 May 2018 00:38

Stopping Warnock getting promoted tomorrow would make up for some of the shite we've had to put up with this season, that's for sure.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 May 2018 00:47

Double d v2
genome If anyone fancies a Judas bet... put an accumulator on the specific results that are needed for us to go down, instead of just a bet on us to get relegated.

A Reading loss, Birmingham double chance (draw or win), Burton and Barnsley win accumulator is 69/1 instead of 55/1 for just relegation on Paddy Power.

Not that I'd ever Judas bet. 8)

Didn't somebody say it was 118/1 only last week?

I looked an hour ago

249-1 with Birmingham winning
196-1 with Birmingham drawing

£10 on each returns 2500 or 1970, effectively 116-1 (the average, and £20 total bet

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 06 May 2018 06:43

Picking hell I am shitting it. I have a real bad feeling about today, you just know how football is turning out these days with comebacks and crazy results that the gods will be against us.

I am pretty sure I am wrong because there is no way it could realistically happen.

Could it?

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 06 May 2018 07:38

Sorry for sticking this here - have posted in Classifieds, too - but does anyone have a spare ticket?
Hoping to get the 0918 train so any response in next hour would be appreciated.
cheers

228 posts