Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a) sponsored by others slipping up, hopefully

by Sutekh » 29 Apr 2018 11:13

When : Sunday, 6th May, 12.30pm
Where : Leckwith Road, Cardiff, CF11 8AZ
Capacity : 33,300
Away Stand : One corner of the stadium, between the Ninian & Grange stands
What might I see in the area : INFLATABLES

After the disgrace that masqueraded as a home performance in the “must not lose” game of the season against a poor team that were supposedly in the beach with nothing to play for comes the very last chance to save the season. Trouble is there’s more chance of Aluko winning a man of the match award than Reading saving themselves under their own steam.

So it’s really going to come down three other games and hoping that just one of them produces a result in Reading’s favour rather than anything that Reading do in Cardiff. But in any event let’s hope Reading can survive long enough in the game to at least maximise Fulham’s hope at Birmingham.

Bacuna will no doubt return to right back with Gunter taking up position at left back. McShane may well be fit enough for a place on the bench and Elphick will at least increase the defensive options. The midfield has to be changed as Swift and Kelly really are not a combination you want to be seen in Wales.

No idea about Cardiff and really don’t care. I expect them to be do what Reading never do and actually be try to win the game - and at a high tempo too. Reading’s only real chance is likely to be if the ref dishes out a red card or two in Reading’s favour for a change but even then I wouldn't hold my breath.

Referee

Yes there will be one and probably a PL one as well given what's riding on this game

Historically

14 Cardiff wins from 30 previous league visits. Reading have 9 wins to their name.

How to follow the game

1. Be near a telly as this game (and perhaps Birmingham v Fulham) may well be live on SKY
  2. Get a ticket and travel over the bridge to Wales
  3. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. Use an iFollow subscription
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

The other places to watch carefully

Birmingham City v Fulham
    Derby County v Barnsley
    Preston North End v Burton Albion

Basically as long as Barnsley and Burton don't both win Reading are safe whatever disasterous shambles of a performance they serve up. If those two teams do both win then Birmingham MUST lose to save the day.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a) sponsored by others slipping up, hopefully

by leon » 30 Apr 2018 00:03

No it’s ok because none of the teams below will go on a decent run.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Apr 2018 01:39

leon No it’s ok because none of the teams below will go on a decent run.

I know you're being sarcastic but none of them did, we just kept up our shitty season form.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2018 07:07

tidus_mi2

I know you're being sarcastic but none of them did, we just kept up our shitty season form.

Truth is we probably will be ok because none of them put on a decent run (well except Burton but guess too little too late)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Apr 2018 08:08

Hound
tidus_mi2

Truth is we probably will be ok because none of them put on a decent run (well except Burton but guess too little too late)

I reckon Burton will get out of it, just got a funny feeling. If they do then Nigel Clough deserves to be manager of the season without question.

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 30 Apr 2018 09:42

Match now on Sky.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2018 10:18

Old Man Andrews
Hound
tidus_mi2 I know you're being sarcastic but none of them did, we just kept up our shitty season form.

I reckon Burton will get out of it, just got a funny feeling. If they do then Nigel Clough deserves to be manager of the season without question.

have that feeling as well. 4 wins in a row isn't it? Don't think Barnsley will win though. Fancy Brum for a point after Fulham throw the towel in after seeing us go 3 down after 25 mins

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 30 Apr 2018 11:31

Any cheap train routes?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Apr 2018 11:57

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Hound

have that feeling as well. 4 wins in a row isn't it? Don't think Barnsley will win though. Fancy Brum for a point after Fulham throw the towel in after seeing us go 3 down after 25 mins

+1. In our own way we will oxf*rd over Fulham by bleeding goals in the first half.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Apr 2018 12:00

Theroyalbox Any cheap train routes?

Is there such a thing thesedays?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Apr 2018 14:19

The fight for the last play off position is between Derby, Preston and Millwall. Basically Derby have to get something to be sure of the last spot (and can get 5th if Middlesbrough lose their last game and make up the slight GD advantage - not that that's too likely as 'boro are away at Ipswich).

5. Middlesbrough 75 +22
6. Derby County 72 +19
7. Preston North End 70 +10
8. Millwall 69 +10

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 01 May 2018 04:03

thanks

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 01 May 2018 06:32

Somehow making it be on sky just makes it worse.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 01 May 2018 06:50

Predicting Burton to win and Brum to draw. We get smashed 2 or 3 nil. Barnsley lose to Derby and drop with Bolton. We finish 21st. Jem comes home at the end of his contract.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 01 May 2018 08:40

Anybody remember when Red Star Belgrade played Barcelona in the European Cup Final, They played ten men behind the ball and won on penalties. That's what we should do , ten men almost on the line and go for a glorious 0-0 Alamo result, I actually think it will finish 1-1

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 01 May 2018 09:23

alfie9 Predicting Burton to win and Brum to draw. We get smashed 2 or 3 nil. Barnsley lose to Derby and drop with Bolton. We finish 21st. Jem comes home at the end of his contract.

You want Jem back? He may improve our squad, but I doubt it.

russyb

by russyb » 01 May 2018 09:42

Gunny Fishcake Anybody remember when Red Star Belgrade played Barcelona in the European Cup Final, They played ten men behind the ball and won on penalties. That's what we should do , ten men almost on the line and go for a glorious 0-0 Alamo result, I actually think it will finish 1-1

I genuinely think we should do this, 451 two banks of four, man for man marking and keep solid, have our one shot on their goal and hope its enough. As for clement threatening to make changes he should. I would put Bacuna back in somewhere, Watson RB if fit, Gunter Left back, Rimonata in the middle with Kelly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2018 10:05

russyb
Gunny Fishcake Anybody remember when Red Star Belgrade played Barcelona in the European Cup Final, They played ten men behind the ball and won on penalties. That's what we should do , ten men almost on the line and go for a glorious 0-0 Alamo result, I actually think it will finish 1-1

I genuinely think we should do this, 451 two banks of four, man for man marking and keep solid, have our one shot on their goal and hope its enough. As for clement threatening to make changes he should. I would put Bacuna back in somewhere, Watson RB if fit, Gunter Left back, Rimonata in the middle with Kelly.

I think I'd go for a 5-3-2. Something like

Mannone
Bacuna Ilori Moore Elphick Gunter
Joey Edwards Swift/Rinomhota
Bod Barrow

Cardiff are a team of big lumps with two quick wingers. Would try to give them as little space behind the back 5 as possible and hope the CBs can deal with the set pieces.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 May 2018 10:09

If anyone fancies a Judas bet... put an accumulator on the specific results that are needed for us to go down, instead of just a bet on us to get relegated.

A Reading loss, Birmingham double chance (draw or win), Burton and Barnsley win accumulator is 69/1 instead of 55/1 for just relegation on Paddy Power.

Not that I'd ever Judas bet. 8)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 May 2018 10:48

russyb

Perhaps go 5 at the back with Elpihick added to Moor and Ilori. Fairly certain Bacuna will be right back and gunter at left back. Get them to play defensively and stick Berg and Evans in as defensive midfielders. Use pace of Barrow and Aluko to catch Cardiff on occasional breakaways.

More than anything it's key Reading try and stay in the game as long as possible so as to maintain Fulham's hope as long as possible not to mention trying to depress Burton and Barnsley's efforts.

However I suspect whatever is tried won't be enough.

228 posts