Strikers.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Strikers.

by genome » 08 Jun 2018 09:50

Simon's Church In Baldocks best ever championship season he scored 11 in 31 games for a team who finished second and scored 74 goals.
Last season bodvarsson scored 7 in 27 for a team who stayed up on the last day and scored 48 in total.

Not sure he's a massive upgrade :roll:

Brighton fans thought he was massively important in their promotion season. Works well in a front two, works the space for others, great team player. It's not all about goals.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jun 2018 09:54

genome
Simon's Church In Baldocks best ever championship season he scored 11 in 31 games for a team who finished second and scored 74 goals.
Last season bodvarsson scored 7 in 27 for a team who stayed up on the last day and scored 48 in total.

Brighton fans thought he was massively important in their promotion season. Works well in a front two, works the space for others, great team player. It's not all about goals.

Agree. Very hard working player who gives 100% in the times I've seen him live. Would be a good addition to the squad.

Basildon

by Basildon » 08 Jun 2018 09:56

genome

Would quite like to see Dadi in a front two. We only really saw him on his own or with Yann and they are too similar to be played together.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jun 2018 12:23

We also need to strengthen in our other attacking positions, it's not all about striker, they're not the only ones who can score.

If we can improve our overall play we'll score more from strikers and elsewhere. And if we can improve on Aluko and keep Swift fit, we'll get more goals there.

Plus there's Nova.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 08 Jun 2018 14:00

Basildon Would quite like to see Dadi in a front two. We only really saw him on his own or with Yann and they are too similar to be played together.

Its going to be a big season for Bod at this club, I feel. (And that's assuming he's still here, as I could see us shopping him around this Summer). He arrived here with the jury very much out on whether he could be 'the man' at striker in this division, and I think its fair to say that's still the case. Some are now suggesting him in a complimentary role, playing off the main striker, which is fair enough I suppose.

But I think he may need to need to up his game to feature prominently under Clement. (He's not alone in that respect). He has yet to score under Clement, and he was subbed off in most every game under Clement. (And this at a time when we only scored 3 goals, plus 1 pen, in 8 games). There is the prospect of us signing a main striker. Plus its conceivable Yann could contribute more this year, if he is injury free, has good pre-season, etc. And then there are the youngsters queuing up for game time (Nova, etc).

I'll be looking for Bod to really improve in the air this off season. All over the park, not just in the opposition box. He's often up against a big physical lump or two, but that's the Champ and it is what it is. When the ball is in the air he is too often a spectator, and when he does challenge its not convincing and he gets beat. He's 6'3 but doesn't play like it. Yann is about 3 inches shorter, yet is way better. I'd say heading ability is one of those traits in footy that can be acquired. With hard work you can get better. A lot better. And as I say, he has the height, so no excuses really. He's 26 now, and its holding him back as a striker in this division, but if he became dominant in the air it would make a huge difference.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 08 Jun 2018 17:14, edited 3 times in total.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 08 Jun 2018 14:22

What about assists? Or creating opportunities or space for others to score? I know goals are the best stat to measure a striker on, but if he's creating chances and goals for the midfield and other strikers, then that is just as valuable.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jun 2018 10:01

Y21

What about assists? Or creating opportunities or space for others to score? I know goals are the best stat to measure a striker on, but if he's creating chances and goals for the midfield and other strikers, then that is just as valuable.

Given how few goals our strikers scored last season I really think we need an out and out striker. I don’t see Baldock as that.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 09 Jun 2018 19:44

Nova snubbed again by the US today against France. His teammates seriously let him down. Really hope he's in our first team next season

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 10 Jun 2018 08:19

Y21

I just don't particularly rate him and would prefer novakovich, Smith or loader got more playing time.
But if Clement decides the solution to us having too many strikers with too little quality is to sign a 29 yr old who hasnt started a league game in over a year then fair enough, I'll support him.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 10 Jun 2018 09:09

Denver Royal
Basildon Would quite like to see Dadi in a front two. We only really saw him on his own or with Yann and they are too similar to be played together.

Its going to be a big season for Bod at this club, I feel. (And that's assuming he's still here, as I could see us shopping him around this Summer). He arrived here with the jury very much out on whether he could be 'the man' at striker in this division, and I think its fair to say that's still the case. Some are now suggesting him in a complimentary role, playing off the main striker, which is fair enough I suppose.

But I think he may need to need to up his game to feature prominently under Clement. (He's not alone in that respect). He has yet to score under Clement, and he was subbed off in most every game under Clement. (And this at a time when we only scored 3 goals, plus 1 pen, in 8 games). There is the prospect of us signing a main striker. Plus its conceivable Yann could contribute more this year, if he is injury free, has good pre-season, etc. And then there are the youngsters queuing up for game time (Nova, etc).

I'll be looking for Bod to really improve in the air this off season. All over the park, not just in the opposition box. He's often up against a big physical lump or two, but that's the Champ and it is what it is. When the ball is in the air he is too often a spectator, and when he does challenge its not convincing and he gets beat. He's 6'3 but doesn't play like it. Yann is about 3 inches shorter, yet is way better. I'd say heading ability is one of those traits in footy that can be acquired. With hard work you can get better. A lot better. And as I say, he has the height, so no excuses really. He's 26 now, and its holding him back as a striker in this division, but if he became dominant in the air it would make a huge difference.

+1 he has the stature and raw ability to play the yann role. He needs a Lacey little poacher to work with (Kevin Doyle/shane long each) I like jack marriot potentially. Works well with Maddison and could just target the pair.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jun 2018 10:32

Bod and Nova anyone?

Not that we're likely to play two upfront.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Jun 2018 11:18

Snowflake Royal Bod and Nova anyone?

A carthorse who scored 7 in 27 and a youth team lad who has made 2 first team appearances? No thanks

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jun 2018 14:30

John Smith
Snowflake Royal Bod and Nova anyone?

A carthorse who scored 7 in 27 and a youth team lad who has made 2 first team appearances? No thanks

This is precisely what pre season should be about, try it and see how it goes. Trouble is Bod is not likely to be involved in pre-season until they go away to Austria and maybe later still if Iceland do well (unless he has absolutely no rest/break at all).

For the record the players are due to report back on 25th June with the first friendly being at Eastleigh on 30th June.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jun 2018 14:38

yep, history would suggest its worth giving Bod an extended break at the start of the season. Him and Nova seem similar players, I'd like to see Nova + new striker starting in pre-season.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 11 Jun 2018 15:54

Zip
Maneki Neko
Zip Baldock’s scoring record at Championship level is bang average. He isn’t any better than what we already have. I would have hoped for better because if this is our only signing up front I can see us struggling for goals again next season.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

id take bang average all day long at the minute tbf
that is a massive upgrade

Did I ever mention never ever go on holiday in Croatia. It’s a hole. Dubrovnik is a dump and Split is shit. 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Too Late!!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 11 Jun 2018 20:11

Judging by the O Shea signing, wouldn't suprise me if we sign Malcolm MacDonald or Paul Mariner.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 Jun 2018 21:37

Ascotexgunner Judging by the O Shea signing, wouldn't suprise me if we sign Malcolm MacDonald or Paul Mariner.

I’d prefer Ibrahimovic myself, but since he’s 36 I’m assuming most in here wouldn’t. :wink:

Augem

by Augem » 11 Jun 2018 21:42

George Eastham sill has a pair of boots