Strikers.

Cape Town Royal

Re: Strikers.

by Cape Town Royal » 15 May 2018 08:30

Mike Hunt
Cape Town Royal
For me Kermit could be interesting. Written off by many this year and can see why. But he had no pre-season and is 35. But he seems the type that give him a good summer off and get him fit for the season, his natural hunger for the game could surprise a few next season.

Not to be a pendant, but he is 37 in November. Which is a lot worse, and not sure how well he will handle anything more than a bit part player.

Would love to see back end of 16/17 Kermit though.... Would love that a lot.

I agree with you, but my point was that he seems the type who has passion for the game so if he is charged then as a supporting striker he could be a real asset. Not as the seasons main striker, but someone who can play the odd game or come on and make a difference because when he is on it as well as his goals he also gives us a lot defending set pieces etc...

We do need to find that lead striker like we had with Doyle. 40 games a season and you can trust him to give a performance week in week out.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 May 2018 15:46

Cape Town Royal For me Kermit could be interesting. Written off by many this year and can see why. But he had no pre-season and is 35. But he seems the type that give him a good summer off and get him fit for the season, his natural hunger for the game could surprise a few next season.

He seems the type who has passion for the game so if he is charged then as a supporting striker he could be a real asset. Not as the seasons main striker, but someone who can play the odd game or come on and make a difference because when he is on it as well as his goals he also gives us a lot defending set pieces etc...

We do need to find that lead striker like we had with Doyle. 40 games a season and you can trust him to give a performance week in week out.

Agree, I think Yann could do a job next season. Have a feeling Clement likes him. He played a fair bit under Clement, playing in 6 of the 8 games (and one of the two games he missed was thru suspension).

For me, he certainly did a job as a sub. Came on, got involved quickly, experienced, put himself about, was a nuisance, scored goals, picked up yellow cards, etc. Proven at this level, and you can tell opposing players respect him. So yeah, with a long rest, and then a good pre-season and full fitness, could see him being an asset, either as sub, and also starting a few games, depending on formation, paying two strikers up front, etc. I think if we signed someone like Gary Madine from Cardiff, to go with Yann and Bod, plus our youngsters, our striker options would look better.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 May 2018 15:51

Denver Royal I think if we signed someone like Gary Madine from Cardiff, to go with Yann and Bod, plus our youngsters, our striker options would look better.

Come on. You'd seriously accept that as a strikeforce? 3 washed up target men who haven't hit double figures for years!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 May 2018 16:20

John Smith
Denver Royal I think if we signed someone like Gary Madine from Cardiff, to go with Yann and Bod, plus our youngsters, our striker options would look better.

Come on. You'd seriously accept that as a strikeforce? 3 washed up target men who haven't hit double figures for years!

Well, we went in to this season with just Yann and Bod. Fans didn't 'accept' it, but there ya go.

And with the addition of someone like Madine, I said we would look better.

Just throwing out options/suggestions here.

Washed up/double figures?...

Bod is 26, and scored a few this season.
Yann was certainly in double figures last season.
Madine is 27, and just scored 10 league goals in half a season at Bolton (who were crap).

What striker(s) would you like to see us sign, realistically?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 15 May 2018 16:35, edited 4 times in total.

donh99

by donh99 » 15 May 2018 16:23

John Smith

Not exactly true as they've all hit double figures this year or last:-

Jón Daði Böðvarsson 10 goals this year
Yann Kermorgant 19 goals last year
Gary Madine 10 goals this year (for Bolton)

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 May 2018 16:34

Denver Royal Well, we went in to this season with just Yann and Bod.

And look where we finished! Open your eyes man.

Denver Royal What striker(s) would you like to see us sign, realistically?

I think we could get Cameron Jerome, Che Adams and/or Nakhi Wells and maybe even a Sam Baldock/someone else not playing in a dross Prem club.

Then we could have Bodvarsson and Smith as backup.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 May 2018 17:05

John Smith
Denver Royal Well, we went in to this season with just Yann and Bod.

And look where we finished! Open your eyes man.

Denver Royal What striker(s) would you like to see us sign, realistically?

I think we could get Cameron Jerome, Che Adams and/or Nakhi Wells and maybe even a Sam Baldock/someone else not playing in a dross Prem club.

Then we could have Bodvarsson and Smith as backup.

Most everyone (including me) said at the time that, going in to the season, Yann and Bod would't be enough, and it wasn't.

Jerome is a good shout. Not sure if we could get him, but I've always liked him. He's 32, and hasn't played 90 minutes, twice a week, for a while now(?), but would be a good addition.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2018 17:29

Isn't Novakovich a bit of a target man? If so that'd make 3 strikers here next season all of whom are a similar type so you'd think really what we should look for is something a bit different, perhaps in the mould of a Dominic Samuel type.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2018 17:45

Sutekh Isn't Novakovich a bit of a target man? If so that'd make 3 strikers here next season all of whom are a similar type so you'd think really what we should look for is something a bit different, perhaps in the mould of a Dominic Samuel type.

I wouldn't have described him as a target man, but I believe he led the line in the Netherlands this year, so that might be more his game now. Certainly can't argue with his scoring record.

I'd love to see him coming off the bench as a positive sub to win games. It's not like Kermie or Bod are likely to have that impact often.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 15 May 2018 17:59

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh Isn't Novakovich a bit of a target man? If so that'd make 3 strikers here next season all of whom are a similar type so you'd think really what we should look for is something a bit different, perhaps in the mould of a Dominic Samuel type.

I wouldn't have described him as a target man, but I believe he led the line in the Netherlands this year, so that might be more his game now. Certainly can't argue with his scoring record.

I'd love to see him coming off the bench as a positive sub to win games. It's not like Kermie or Bod are likely to have that impact often.

Wonder what Kermie would be like as a "shore us up" defensive mid-fielder, for when we're under the cosh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2018 18:03

muirinho
Snowflake Royal

Wonder what Kermie would be like as a "shore us up" defensive mid-fielder, for when we're under the cosh.

A bit fouly for my liking, but as a defensive striker who can help out on set pieces pretty decent.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

Which 3rd (4th) Striker?

by PistolPete » 16 May 2018 09:50

I think most on here consider Jon Dadi to be a good 2nd striker option, he's never been prolific but can do a more than decent job for a mid-table championship side. Yann Kermorgant was an inspired signing, but turns 37 in November and frankly, should not have been offered the new contract. At Swansea, Clement used a target man (Llorente), at Derby another (Martin); Ancelotti has been similar (Lewandowski, Benzema and Ibrahimovic). On that basis, I can see Reading looking at a JDV upgrade as first choice.

So, with three young strikers potentially ready to take the step up, who would you be hoping will get time off the bench?

1. Danny Loader

Age 17
1,82 m
170 minutes per goal at U23 level

2. Sam Smith

Age 20
1,82 m
192 minutes per goal at senior and Championship and U23 level

3. Andrija Novaković

Age 21
1,92 m
153 minutes per goal at Dutch 2nd tier level

It would appear that Sam Smith is ahead of Loader, being 2 and a half years older and with more first team appearances. But then again, was Loader simply too young before and now at nearly 18 years of age, perhaps he's ready to leapfrog Smith? Novakovic is already in the US national team squad (albeit a young 'post failure to qualify' one) and has 22 senior goals in a season at league 1 level.

My suggestion?

Move Kermorgant down to 4th choice and buy a new striker (Not Oliveira!). Use Jon Dadi as the backup and give time and chances to Novakovic. Send Loader on loan to Telstar and Smith to somewhere in League 1.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Which 3rd (4th) Striker?

by Hound » 16 May 2018 09:58

yeah something like that. Obv its not as easy as just saying sign a striker as we found last summer

Have to be a little careful with Novakovich. Last year of contract coming up, he won't be any rush to sign another if he doesn't get good game time this year. I'm sure there would be plenty of clubs happy to sign him up

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 May 2018 11:30

muirinho
Snowflake Royal

Surely that is some kind of sick joke? We're a Championship team not like a non-league outfit who have to fit square pegs in round holes every week!

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 16 May 2018 12:18

John Smith
muirinho
Snowflake Royal I wouldn't have described him as a target man, but I believe he led the line in the Netherlands this year, so that might be more his game now. Certainly can't argue with his scoring record.

Surely that is some kind of sick joke? We're a Championship team not like a non-league outfit who have to fit square pegs in round holes every week!

I see Kermie as a player we should throw on to hold onto a slender lead. He is great at defending corners / set pieces. Can be a target man on counters for our wingers to play off and a nuisance in their box on our own set pieces. If we are chasing a game, I dont feel that he is a game changing player.
I think next season he should be used more in the cup and brought on as a sub for the above statement.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 May 2018 13:18

Coppells Lost Coat
John Smith
muirinho

I see Kermie as a player we should throw on to hold onto a slender lead. He is great at defending corners / set pieces. Can be a target man on counters for our wingers to play off and a nuisance in their box on our own set pieces. If we are chasing a game, I dont feel that he is a game changing player.
I think next season he should be used more in the cup and brought on as a sub for the above statement.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Off-the-bench option, as much for defence as offence, but not as an impact player when we're chasing a game.

He's 37, he's a square peg in a round hole no matter where we play him, because he can't lead the line anymore. But if he stays with us, have to look at where he might actually be useful.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 16 May 2018 20:21

muirinho
Coppells Lost Coat
John Smith Surely that is some kind of sick joke? We're a Championship team not like a non-league outfit who have to fit square pegs in round holes every week!

Yeah, that's what I meant. Off-the-bench option, as much for defence as offence, but not as an impact player when we're chasing a game.

He's 37, he's a square peg in a round hole no matter where we play him, because he can't lead the line anymore. But if he stays with us, have to look at where he might actually be useful.

I agree

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Jun 2018 10:06

Focher
2 world wars, 1 world cup Yay.

Lost interest after reading this on line 1.

To be fair mate, I'd lose interest after reading my username if I were you.. you did well to get that far ! :wink:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 04 Jun 2018 10:27

Talks with Baldock this week apparently :roll:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jun 2018 10:52

I'd be ok with Baldock coming in tbh. Experienced striker, always been pretty good when I've seen him