Strikers.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Strikers.

by Millsy » 07 May 2018 01:31

We've survived. Yay.

Many people were crying out for strikers including me. And I still put our huge failure down to not getting one or two proven goalscorers.

So it stuns me that Clement has said that is an area we have a surplus in. Yes true in terms of numbers we have a lot but quantity does not mean quality.

I'd have thought that would be his priority and if he hadn't figured that out it really worries me and I see the same old story happening again.

Having said that an amazing striker in a shit team ends up being rubbish (eg vydra suddenly finding form again... So many of our decent strikers in the past moving and not doing so great) so I don't know. It's all about service. But I fail to see how Stam who focussed soooo much on midfielders and presumably service rather than goalscorers failed so miserably. To me we are still desperate for strikers. Release the lot off on a free as far as I'm concerned (except maybe bod as a backup) and buy a decent two or three please Clement.

Discuss.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Strikers.

by royalp-we » 07 May 2018 08:41

I think he'd be a bit of a mug to tell the press that we want to buy a 20+ goal scoring striker over the summer.

We've scored 4 goals in his 8 games. Im sure he knows it's an area we require vast improvement.

He'll no doubt be tasking BT and RG to move players on. Until then his hands are tied a bit.

Personally, Novakovich deserves a chance in pre season. Has the potential to be a revelation in the league next year.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 07 May 2018 08:53

royalp-we I think he'd be a bit of a mug to tell the press that we want to buy a 20+ goal scoring striker over the summer.

We've scored 4 goals in his 8 games. Im sure he knows it's an area we require vast improvement.

He'll no doubt be tasking BT and RG to move players on. Until then his hands are tied a bit.

Personally, Novakovich deserves a chance in pre season. Has the potential to be a revelation in the league next year.

Pretty much this.

If we don't give One of novakovic, Smith or loader a big chance next season then we may as well good the academy.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2018 10:54

He's right, we have too many on the books, with too few of actual definite quality.

Bodvarsson, Kermorgant, Novakovich, Meite, Rakels, Smith, Loader, House

Realistically, what we'd want going into next season would be:

New Signing, Bodvarsson, Novakovich, New Signing, Loader on the edge, Smith on loan, House in U23s

Losing Rakels should be easy. Meite would ideally get a second chance, but him Nova, a new signing and Loader is probably too little experience playing here, not clear how easy he'd be to get shot of, but how are we going to shift Kermie, who must be on a decent wedge?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 May 2018 10:58

It was a mistake to give Kermorgant a new deal within weeks of his return from injury. I can’t see him moving on now. Rakels will be sold and Martin returned to Derby. I think Loader needs to go out on loan. So that should free up some space but I don’t think we will bring in more than one striker.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 May 2018 11:03

Snowflake Royal He's right, we have too many on the books, with too few of actual definite quality.

New Signing, Bodvarsson, Novakovich, New Signing, Loader on the edge, Smith on loan, House in U23s

Losing Rakels should be easy. Meite would ideally get a second chance, but him Nova, a new signing and Loader is probably too little experience playing here, not clear how easy he'd be to get shot of, but how are we going to shift Kermie, who must be on a decent wedge?

Meite is a winger, unless you’re thinking of Mendes.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 May 2018 11:07

Forgot about Mendes. He will be released too. So Clement is right. We have too many strikers and few decent ones.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 May 2018 11:25

I brought this up in the academy thread but football manager (not the bible I know) changed Loader from a ST to a LW in their January update. Anyone got any idea what that is about?

Imo our best shout for stand alone striker is Barrow. There is no reason I can think of he shouldn't be able to play there.

Obviously we have, as pointed out above, too many strikers and some should be phased out asap but if we shift Barrow up front we have Meite and Harriott able to play LW. Or if we sign a LB Obita could put in a shift up their. He would certainly be able to help out defensively.

If we start the season with Barrow, Bodvarson, Kermie and one of Smith, Loader and Mendes as our option at least we would have ample cover AND most importantly: different options.

Edit. Forgot Novackovich (how is it spelled again Ian?) He should be given a shot.
Last edited by NewCorkSeth on 07 May 2018 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 07 May 2018 11:31

How about going for Luton's Danny Hylton? He has scored tons this season in League 2. He should be within our budget and is worth a punt, in my view.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 May 2018 11:36

Now Barnsley are relegated, why don't we take a punt on Tom Bradshaw. Could get him pretty cheaply too

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 May 2018 11:38

LUX How about going for Luton's Danny Hylton? He has scored tons this season in League 2. He should be within our budget and is worth a punt, in my view.

Not a bad shout

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 May 2018 11:44

LUX How about going for Luton's Danny Hylton? He has scored tons this season in League 2. He should be within our budget and is worth a punt, in my view.

Not good enough for the Champ IMHO ... based on watching him play for Oxford a few seasons ago.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 07 May 2018 11:47

Jack Marriott looks decent

a few clubs after him

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 May 2018 12:32

royalp-we We've scored 4 goals in Clements 8 games.

Yep, and two of those goals were at home to bottom club Sunderland...and one was a penalty.

So we scored 3 goals from open play in 8 games.

Bod hasn't scored under Clement...and was subbed out in every game under Clement.

So yes, much work to do, and lots of questions at striker...

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 07 May 2018 12:38

super darren caskey Jack Marriott looks decent

a few clubs after him

I have only suggested that 4 times on here....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 May 2018 12:51

I don’t give a oxf*rd. I’m going to wait until at least June before I even give this shite team anymore thought.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 May 2018 12:58

Royal_jimmy Now Barnsley are relegated, why don't we take a punt on Tom Bradshaw. Could get him pretty cheaply too

Oliver McBurnie is taller (6'2) and younger (21) and scored a few this season on loan at Barnsley from Swansea.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 May 2018 13:18

Swansea will want McBurnie if they get relegated

We also need to add Josh Barrett into our mix of forwards too (not that I’m saying he’s good enough or ready)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2018 13:26

genome
Snowflake Royal He's right, we have too many on the books, with too few of actual definite quality.

Meite is a winger, unless you’re thinking of Mendes.

Forgot about Mendes.... Meite was brought in as a Forward rather than a Winger, so maybe not a conventional striker, but still in the category.