Strikers.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Strikers.

by NewCorkSeth » 07 May 2018 13:51

Snowflake Royal
genome
Snowflake Royal He's right, we have too many on the books, with too few of actual definite quality.

Bodvarsson, Kermorgant, Novakovich, Meite, Rakels, Smith, Loader, House

Realistically, what we'd want going into next season would be:

New Signing, Bodvarsson, Novakovich, New Signing, Loader on the edge, Smith on loan, House in U23s

Losing Rakels should be easy. Meite would ideally get a second chance, but him Nova, a new signing and Loader is probably too little experience playing here, not clear how easy he'd be to get shot of, but how are we going to shift Kermie, who must be on a decent wedge?

Meite is a winger, unless you’re thinking of Mendes.

Forgot about Mendes.... Meite was brought in as a Forward rather than a Winger, so maybe not a conventional striker, but still in the category.

Yeah Genome jeeez. Just because he played as a winger for PSGs academy, played as a winger for us and played as a winger for sochaux does not mean he's a winger. We signed him as a forward (that great catch all term that covers both strikers and wingers) so he must be a forward.
Calling him a winger is like calling Thierry Henry a striker. He was signed as a winger so he was a winger.
On a serious note can we get rid of the term forward? It describes too many positions imo.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 May 2018 15:33

What we need, and what we call them, largely depends on how we intend to play and currently only Clement and his staff would have much of a clue on that front.

We don’t have a bottomless pit of money, so there’s a lot of work to be done to free up space and resources in the squad.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 07 May 2018 15:49

McBurnie + a marquee striker signing would be very good. Don't know if we'd be able to get him permanently for a reasonable fee (probably not considering his performances at Barnsley have been very good + his young age). A new striker signing starting with McBurnie and Bodvarsson on the bench could be good, although I probably wouldn't choose to have two strikers on the bench.

I usually like to see a goalkeeper, full back, a centre back, 2 centre mids (one defensive/one attacking), a winger and a striker as the subs.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 07 May 2018 17:53

Hopefully our transfer policy is changing, our policy over the summer was a oxf*rd joke. Looking over the bargains in the lower leagues for a load of bang average players

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 11 May 2018 12:17

NewCorkSeth I brought this up in the academy thread but football manager (not the bible I know) changed Loader from a ST to a LW in their January update. Anyone got any idea what that is about?

Presume someone who's been scouting the U23s? I noticed at the end of the season he didn't seem to be playing up front but in midfield with Smith as the out-and-out striker. Whether that's significant I don't know, may just have been the best place for him to get games.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 11 May 2018 13:31

TiagoIlori Hopefully our transfer policy is changing, our policy over the summer was a oxf*rd joke. Looking over the bargains in the lower leagues for a load of bang average players

Erm, what? Exactly 0 (ZERO) of our signings in the last year have been from the lower leagues.

Barrow came from Swansea. Aluko, Bacuna, Edwards, Mannone, Bod, Martin and Elphick all came from Championship sides, and Clement came from Ajax under 21's.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 May 2018 13:33

BraisingsteakRoyal
TiagoIlori Hopefully our transfer policy is changing, our policy over the summer was a oxf*rd joke. Looking over the bargains in the lower leagues for a load of bang average players

Erm, what? Exactly 0 (ZERO) of our signings in the last year have been from the lower leagues.

Barrow came from Swansea. Aluko, Bacuna, Edwards, Mannone, Bod, Martin and Elphick all came from Championship sides, and Clement came from Ajax under 21's.

I think what he is saying is that we have been signing bang average players, rather than looking at players in the lower leagues.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 11 May 2018 13:49

Hendo
BraisingsteakRoyal

I think what he is saying is that we have been signing bang average players, rather than looking at players in the lower leagues.

Ah! Overlooking the bargains in the lower league

Got it now!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 May 2018 14:10

NewCorkSeth I brought this up in the academy thread but football manager (not the bible I know) changed Loader from a ST to a LW in their January update. Anyone got any idea what that is about?

Imo our best shout for stand alone striker is Barrow. There is no reason I can think of he shouldn't be able to play there.

Kadzidlo did the research for Reading for a long time, don't know if he still does.

Loader mostly plays on the left wing for our youth teams but in FM terms I'd call him a natural striker and accomplished left winger (and maybe a competent attacking midfielder). His link play is improving and I think he's getting better at understanding a winger's responsibilities but I'd still call him a striker first and foremost. I don't think he quite has the physicality we expect from a striker but he has the instincts.

Barrow on the other hand I'd say is very much a winger who scores goals. He certainly doesn't have the hold up play we'd expect of a striker and I don't think he'd be right positionally either. Not saying it couldn't work, just that I wouldn't expect it to and I think he'd do better as a winger. I'd feel more confident with Meite through the middle if we were playing both of them.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 11 May 2018 14:12

2 world wars, 1 world cup Yay.

Lost interest after reading this on line 1.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 May 2018 14:14

Royal_jimmy Now Barnsley are relegated, why don't we take a punt on Tom Bradshaw. Could get him pretty cheaply too
When your players have a losing mentality and have just avoided relegation, signing someone who has just been relegated may not be the right move to help change the vibe around the place.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 May 2018 15:49

SCIAG

Imo our best shout for stand alone striker is Barrow. There is no reason I can think of he shouldn't be able to play there.

Kadzidlo did the research for Reading for a long time, don't know if he still does.

Loader mostly plays on the left wing for our youth teams but in FM terms I'd call him a natural striker and accomplished left winger (and maybe a competent attacking midfielder). His link play is improving and I think he's getting better at understanding a winger's responsibilities but I'd still call him a striker first and foremost. I don't think he quite has the physicality we expect from a striker but he has the instincts.

Barrow on the other hand I'd say is very much a winger who scores goals. He certainly doesn't have the hold up play we'd expect of a striker and I don't think he'd be right positionally either. Not saying it couldn't work, just that I wouldn't expect it to and I think he'd do better as a winger. I'd feel more confident with Meite through the middle if we were playing both of them.

Fair enough! I haven't seen him play yet. It just seemed odd hat they would change his position outright (they lowered his score as a striker and maxed his score as a LW) was he playing their for England at any time?

As for Barrow I accept he lacks physicality but he is actually quite good at bring the ball down quickly and has the feet to keep it away from full backs. Obviously it would be different against a CB but that's where having Bod on the bench would come in handy. I mean Alfie managed some quality goals for us despite being equally incapable of strong hold up play.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 May 2018 15:50

KC Royal

Presume someone who's been scouting the U23s? I noticed at the end of the season he didn't seem to be playing up front but in midfield with Smith as the out-and-out striker. Whether that's significant I don't know, may just have been the best place for him to get games.

Fair point! He's still a youngen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 May 2018 18:58

NewCorkSeth
SCIAG

Fair enough! I haven't seen him play yet. It just seemed odd hat they would change his position outright (they lowered his score as a striker and maxed his score as a LW) was he playing their for England at any time?

As for Barrow I accept he lacks physicality but he is actually quite good at bring the ball down quickly and has the feet to keep it away from full backs. Obviously it would be different against a CB but that's where having Bod on the bench would come in handy. I mean Alfie managed some quality goals for us despite being equally incapable of strong hold up play.

For me, Barrow lacks the mental and physical strength to play a disciplined striker role. He'd get bullied and go missing in equal measure.

Now on the other hand, a free No. 10 role behind a lone striker might be more his bag. Little attacking or defensive positional responsibility, the licence to drift and attack where he wants, drop between the lines to pick up the ball and run at defenders, run on to flick ons and pick up knockdowns...

That sounds more his bag than striker, or even winger.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 11 May 2018 20:38

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
SCIAG Kadzidlo did the research for Reading for a long time, don't know if he still does.

For me, Barrow lacks the mental and physical strength to play a disciplined striker role. He'd get bullied and go missing in equal measure.

Now on the other hand, a free No. 10 role behind a lone striker might be more his bag. Little attacking or defensive positional responsibility, the licence to drift and attack where he wants, drop between the lines to pick up the ball and run at defenders, run on to flick ons and pick up knockdowns...

I would like to see that with 2 proper wingers playing that could be a force. Playing bod upfront to knock down for him. Why have we not tried this?? Shame beerens has gone at least he was a proper winger....

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 May 2018 20:52

linkenholtroyal
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Fair enough! I haven't seen him play yet. It just seemed odd hat they would change his position outright (they lowered his score as a striker and maxed his score as a LW) was he playing their for England at any time?

I would like to see that with 2 proper wingers playing that could be a force. Playing bod upfront to knock down for him. Why have we not tried this?? Shame beerens has gone at least he was a proper winger....

Probably because we lack wingers...

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 11 May 2018 21:28

NewCorkSeth
linkenholtroyal
Snowflake Royal For me, Barrow lacks the mental and physical strength to play a disciplined striker role. He'd get bullied and go missing in equal measure.

Probably because we lack wingers...

Am I right in thinking mccleary is the only natural winger left and popa if he stays??

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 12 May 2018 07:56

One worry I have for next season in terms of strikers is Bod. Likely to go to the World Cup. So will get next to no pre-season and was not great for Wolves the season after the euro's, so how will he be next season?

Look at Swift this season. Was great for us last year, looked sharp and skilful. We got to the Play offs then he had the England tournament and this season has just never looked fit or sharp. Will be interesting to see what he will be like next season after a good summer off to recover and hopefully a better pre-season. ...

For me Kermit could be interesting. Written off by many this year and can see why. But he had no pre-season and is 35. But he seems the type that give him a good summer off and get him fit for the season, his natural hunger for the game could surprise a few next season.

That said really feel we need a lead striker as much as anything to give the team a lift.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 13 May 2018 09:52

LeeCamTx As a fellow Yank, I'd like to see Andrija Novakovich get a serious opportunity with Reading this coming season - he'll be out of contract in July 2019. If he does not look good enough in the preseason, he might be sold (cheaply, at best) to a club where he could get playing time. While it is only the Eerste Divisie in the Netherlands, he has scored 20 goals in 34 appearances this season - a very good pace. His club, Telstar, finished 6th in the league, and Novakovich's 20 were just over 30% of the club's 66 goals.

In March of this year, he did get a 13 minute cameo with the U.S. Men's National Team in a friendly against Paraguay. Playing for the U.S. youth squads, he has made 14 appearances and scored 6 goals. At 1.92 meters (6'-4" for me), he is a tall young man of 21 who looked a bit lightly built when he had a couple of brief appearances for Reading in 2015 (age 18).

Good intel, thanks. I do believe Novakovich will be given his chance next season. It would be be a mistake of Stam-esque proportions to overlook him after he's done well during his loan season and is out of contract next year. I believe Clement has more about him than that :|

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 14 May 2018 06:34

Cape Town Royal
For me Kermit could be interesting. Written off by many this year and can see why. But he had no pre-season and is 35. But he seems the type that give him a good summer off and get him fit for the season, his natural hunger for the game could surprise a few next season.

Not to be a pendant, but he is 37 in November. Which is a lot worse, and not sure how well he will handle anything more than a bit part player.

Would love to see back end of 16/17 Kermit though.... Would love that a lot.