CONFIMRED - David Meyler

genome
Hob Nob Legend

CONFIMRED - David Meyler

by genome » 21 May 2018 14:14

@SportsPeteO
Reading eye move for former Hull City midfielder David Meyler on a free transfer. #readingfc #hcafc

From the same chap who called the Yiadom transfer.

Would be a good signing I think. Suggested it on the Players thread.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: RUMOUR - David Meyler

by Hound » 21 May 2018 14:17

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/21/po ... nt-meyler/

yeah not unexpected. never been quite sure if he is any good or not, but certainly the right kind of player we need. Would surely be a huge upgrade on Joey whatever.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 May 2018 14:22

No thanks. Probably would command big wages, not a big enough upgrade on Van Den Berg and Edwards.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 May 2018 14:28

Old Man Andrews No thanks. Probably would command big wages, not a big enough upgrade on Van Den Berg and Edwards.

He's much better than those two, IMO

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 May 2018 14:32

genome
Old Man Andrews No thanks. Probably would command big wages, not a big enough upgrade on Van Den Berg and Edwards.

So are you but I wouldn't have you in the midfield long term.

Just think we should be looking for something better than a Hull cast off. If he isn't good enough for them to offer new terms to then why is he good enough for us? Lets aim high and then come down to the sort of Meyler level if other options are exhausted. I have seen him a few times over the season and he has done nothing for me.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 May 2018 14:40

Old Man Andrews
genome

Just think we should be looking for something better than a Hull cast off. If he isn't good enough for them to offer new terms to then why is he good enough for us? Lets aim high and then come down to the sort of Meyler level if other options are exhausted. I have seen him a few times over the season and he has done nothing for me.

If we were paying a fee for him I'd agree, but as a free transfer it'd be a smart signing that would free up transfer funds to bring in a striker. Can you think of anyone else who can play that ball-winning midfielder role that wouldn't cost millions in this market?

Plenty of Premier League experience, captain material, tough tackler, and brings a strong beard game to the team that we're sorely lacking.

As for him being a Hull cast off - depends why they released him. I get the feeling they are having a massive clearout to reduce wages - Hernandez is leaving too, no? He's a top striker at this level.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 May 2018 14:50

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome

If we were paying a fee for him I'd agree, but as a free transfer it'd be a smart signing that would free up transfer funds to bring in a striker. Can you think of anyone else who can play that ball-winning midfielder role that wouldn't cost millions in this market?

Plenty of Premier League experience, captain material, tough tackler, and brings a strong beard game to the team that we're sorely lacking.

As for him being a Hull cast off - depends why they released him. I get the feeling they are having a massive clearout to reduce wages - Hernandez is leaving too, no? He's a top striker at this level.

Hernandez was retained I believe, resell value there.

As for anyone else in a similar role who I would prefer I would say Ben Pearson at Preston would be my number 1 central midfield target. Impressed me on all the ocassions I have seen him. I don't think we can rule out spending millions just yet so he could be within our range.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 May 2018 15:34

Hernandez is OOC as well, sure Hull tried to keep him, but he will go somewhere better

Meyler will have been on tidy wages, I'm not surprised he has left. On paper would look a solid signing on a free

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 21 May 2018 15:46

Anyone know his injury record?
Could be a decent signing for free. If Clement thinks he is an upgrade to what we have then so be it, I do think that his position is where we should be looking to strengthen the most.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 May 2018 15:47

I wouldnt mind having a Cork man back in the team. Hes a grand player..

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 May 2018 15:50

200 appearances nearly in 5 years for Hull, so must be pretty reliable fitness wise

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 May 2018 15:58

Looks like he's managed about 25 apps a season for the last 5 years for Hull in the league

He scores 1 in 11 on average and I believe he's the guy who was on the receiving end of Alan Pardew's head a few years ago.

And just for the record he is 28 and an ROI international

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 21 May 2018 16:34

Sutekh Looks like he's managed about 25 apps a season for the last 5 years for Hull in the league

He scores 1 in 11 on average and I believe he's the guy who was on the receiving end of Alan Pardew's head a few years ago.

Thats a win for me already said on previous post he is one of the free agents worth chasing

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 21 May 2018 16:53

Sutekh Looks like he's managed about 25 apps a season for the last 5 years for Hull in the league

I thought he was perma-crocked and like 32. I like this idea better now.

We just need Robbie Brady to complete the ex-Hull Irish gang.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 21 May 2018 18:05

I like the look of this guy.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 21 May 2018 18:46

Like the sound of this, won't set the world alight, but is a good defensive midfielder. I wonder would he do any EASports related stuff?

Obviously I approve on Nationality grounds also, with Stephen Quinn leaving, and Liam Kelly backing off from international football, the Irish representation at the Mad Stad is getting a bit low, and could do with a boost.

Getting in solid Championship players on free transfers to bolster the squad hopefully means the transfer budget is being saved for a decent striker.

So long as it's not all blown on the usual - somebody who was a decent striker before they arrived at Reading, and will be a decent striker after they leave Reading, but can't hit a cows arse with a banjo while actually at Reading.

As an aside, pretty sure he has filled in at right-back before. So another little chink of light there for Ian Royal?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 21 May 2018 19:17

Average player

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 21 May 2018 19:38

TiagoIlori Average player

Average for what?

In the last 6 years he's had two promotions from the Championship, 3 seasons in the PL (two relegations), one FA Cup Final. That's actually pretty decent for a Championship player.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 May 2018 21:04

muirinho Like the sound of this, won't set the world alight, but is a good defensive midfielder. I wonder would he do any EASports related stuff?

Obviously I approve on Nationality grounds also, with Stephen Quinn leaving, and Liam Kelly backing off from international football, the Irish representation at the Mad Stad is getting a bit low, and could do with a boost.

Getting in solid Championship players on free transfers to bolster the squad hopefully means the transfer budget is being saved for a decent striker.

So long as it's not all blown on the usual - somebody who was a decent striker before they arrived at Reading, and will be a decent striker after they leave Reading, but can't hit a cows arse with a banjo while actually at Reading.

As an aside, pretty sure he has filled in at right-back before. So another little chink of light there for Ian Royal?

Say no to 'players filling in' as a plan.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 21 May 2018 22:29

muirinho
TiagoIlori Average player

Average for what?

In the last 6 years he's had two promotions from the Championship, 3 seasons in the PL (two relegations), one FA Cup Final. That's actually pretty decent for a Championship player.

That also doesn’t stop them from being average. He was awful last season