240 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: RUMOUR- John O’shea set to sign for Reading

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jun 2018 10:05

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome
Two bad seasons?

Sunderland are a basket case, I would say O'Shea's fault was minimal. In fact, I've read comments from Sunderland fans that he's been their best defender during that time (which is probably damning with faint praise, but whatever)

More than two.

I have seen him play as I am sure you have, he's well past the level necessary to play in the Championship. Not sure what you have been reading regarding the Sunderland supporters but from what I have seen on social media they appear to be laughing at us. We have an experienced international defender and leader in Paul McShane so why bring in a 37 year old who has been on his way out for the last 5 years? (unless McShane is leaving then the move becomes slightly more understandable). I am not happy about him signing on the count it stifles our youth prospects. Holmes and Andresson should be the ones stepping in to the squad as back up, not John O'Shea.

If he is coming in purely as a coach then I can't knock that too much, he'd be an unknown in that sense so you have to have an open mind on that front.

He's certainly not coming to replace Liam Moore, as some have said

Yeah I've seen that, seen a few panicking about it. Complete nonsense, Tommy Elphick will be doing that should Moore leave imo.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Jun 2018 10:08

He could be useful in the striker department, better than what we have :D

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 04 Jun 2018 10:24

genome
maffff I have no words.

You just wrote four right there

Except those four.

and these three.

and that three.

etc.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 04 Jun 2018 10:27

Absolute scenes when Andresson and Holmes get blocked from the first team by John pcunting O'Shea and are sold to League One teams next summer where they become instant starters

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Jun 2018 10:52

genome
John Smith If this is the level of ambition we are showing then it really won't be long before we're in League One

You are aware the transfer window doesn't shut for two months, right?

Are you defending the potential purchase of John O'Shea?

List the teams you think will be likely to be promoted from the Championship next season and ask if John O'Shea would get in their squad, not team. The Championship isn't a league you dwell in, it's a league teams battle to climb out of. Right now we are in absolutely no state to go anywhere.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jun 2018 10:56

John Smith
genome
John Smith If this is the level of ambition we are showing then it really won't be long before we're in League One

You are aware the transfer window doesn't shut for two months, right?

Are you defending the potential purchase of John O'Shea?

List the teams you think will be likely to be promoted from the Championship next season and ask if John O'Shea would get in their squad, not team. The Championship isn't a league you dwell in, it's a league teams battle to climb out of. Right now we are in absolutely no state to go anywhere.

Before the 2016/17 season, would you have predicted we'd finish 3rd with 35 year old Yann Kermorgant getting nearly 20 goals?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 04 Jun 2018 11:07

perhaps he's a cheap option to play a few games at the beginning of the season at LB until obita gets back up to speed...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jun 2018 11:15

WoodleyRoyal perhaps he's a cheap option to play a few games at the beginning of the season at LB until obita gets back up to speed...

He will be rinsed by every winger he is up against! We have Richards as Obita cover, he is perfectly adequate.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 04 Jun 2018 11:17

Old Man Andrews
WoodleyRoyal perhaps he's a cheap option to play a few games at the beginning of the season at LB until obita gets back up to speed...

He will be rinsed by every winger he is up against! We have Richards as Obita cover, he is perfectly adequate.

People thought the same about Ian Harte...

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 04 Jun 2018 11:21

Found myself thinking of us starting with a central defensive pairing of McShane and O'Shea... did a little shudder...

Agree with the comment about any aspiring promotion team would not have him in their squad...

What happened to Reading signing aspiring young hungry players like Kitson, Doyle, Long, Sidwell, Shorey, Harper etc...

Surely last season showed that we need to inject hunger, pace and desire into the team.. Signing O'Shea on a player contract does the exact opposite to me..

As a coach who knows? Can't really recall hearing him speak so no idea what kind of communicator he is, but as a player for me its a big no..

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 04 Jun 2018 11:45

Decent, risk free signing. Never understand why people write players off. Villa fans where laughing at us about Bacuna, and he is probably our most technically gifted footballer. Good bit of experience, might be lacking a bit of legs but he will be able to teach the youngsters a lot and probably help out Clement.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 04 Jun 2018 11:47

I'm fine with him coming in a player-coach capacity.

If he's coming in as a first team squad, then I don't think this is the right way to go. This would consume a good part of our wage budget and is short term at best.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 04 Jun 2018 12:18

Can play in net as well, I remember his heroics for United away at Tottenham a good while ago.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jun 2018 12:36

Tbh, I've always though John O'Shea was a bit shit and his Utd teammates and Fergie's reputation carried him.

He's just a 'name' to sign and overpay rather than actually any real good. And 37? There's hope for my prpfessional career yet I spose. Like him, I'm also 37 and shit.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jun 2018 13:10

Snowflake Royal Tbh, I've always though John O'Shea was a bit shit and his Utd teammates and Fergie's reputation carried him.

He's just a 'name' to sign and overpay rather than actually any real good. And 37? There's hope for my prpfessional career yet I spose. Like him, I'm also 37 and shit.

OK, I'm not enamoured of signing a 37 year old, unless it's mainly for coaching. But to say that his teammates carried him while he was at Utd, that's ridiculous. Fergie is not the kind of manager that would allow a player to be carried. He didn't have an ounce of sentimentality in him. If O Shea wasn't good enough, he'd have got shipped out. Instead of which he played most games a season for 10 years.

Saying he was " a bit shit" is a bit of indication that you don't know what you're talking about.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Jun 2018 13:10

Oh FFS, stop pissing your knickers, if he comes here, it will be to coach and act as emergency cover, not to start.

Get a grip.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jun 2018 13:26

From Despair To Where? Oh FFS, stop pissing your knickers, if he comes here, it will be to coach and act as emergency cover, not to start.

Get a grip.

agree that is most likely. Doesn't seem an obvious link to Clement though in terms of the coaching. Wondering where he has seen enough of him to think he'd make a good coach

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 04 Jun 2018 13:31

muirinho OK, I'm not enamoured of signing a 37 year old, unless it's mainly for coaching.

Gilkes seems to be taking more of a backward role since Clement has come in (been on the bench less), perhaps he's intended to fill the Steven Reid gap and provide cover behind:

* Moore (or replacement) [Elphick / Bartley], Ilori one of McShane or Blackett.
Presumably one of McShane or Blackett will leave (maybe even both?) O'Shea would likely be 3rd or 4th choice. Possibly even 4th or 5th if we signed another (e.g. Clarke).

Then we still have the likes of Holmes, Andresson and McIntyre around the u23s and able to learn from O'Shea's experience, or able to go out on loan unless one really steps up and displaces others and reach the bench.

I expect O'Shea will be expecting to feature, but can't see how he'd be a regular starter.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 04 Jun 2018 13:32

Personally, we should only be looking at players that would be considered in the match day squad. Not players who might be looking for a path into coaching. Would rather all available resources are put into a few quality signings, not 37 year olds who might be able to do a job.

If we are desperate for cover and Clement does not think our youth are capable then I am a maybe. But Holmes and Andresson need to step up at some point.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jun 2018 13:35

Snowflake Royal And 37? There's hope for my prpfessional career yet I spose. Like him, I'm also 37 and shit.

Do you have multiple major honours?

240 posts