CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

240 posts
Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: RUMOUR- John O’shea set to sign for Reading

by Denver Royal » 06 Jun 2018 13:41

Paul McShane, Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt all went to John O'Shea's wedding. :wink:

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Jun 2018 13:50

If this goes through, it would be a massive leap of faith by the management. A very meh signing IMO. But usually these sort of signings turn out not to be complete disasters though. Paves the way for youngsters to be loaned out though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jun 2018 13:54

one thing is tells me is that PC was massively unimpressed with the mentality of the team last year, and with good reason. Signing someone basically to try to add some balls and leadership to the team

Its a short term fix to try to help turn round the rancid performances of last year

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 06 Jun 2018 14:11

Only one Trevor Morley I really don't get what the risk is? He wont be on top dollar at 37 years old and he is getting coaching experience so that is likely to be a bartering tool that reading use to get wages down further. Its a one year contract with no fee. and we get another experienced voice in the dressing room. And for all those saying McShane is that voice, not sure he is the right example of experienced leader, given his somewhat petulant attitude to reading supporters this season.

He'll be versatile and I suspect will be used against opposition where pace is less of an issue.

If we are signing him on even a two year contract with the expectation that he is playing most of the time then that is a risk but the way this is being reported it isn't a risk. Aluko on mega bucks for 4 years was a big risk. Swift on a 5 year deal with his current endless hamstring injuries was, in hindsight, a big risk.

is he the answer to readings defensive woes? No. But is he a risk? No.

I deem every signing we make as a risk, but the thing that expands that risk is that:
a) blocks the pathway of at least one youngster, who could easily be better in the long run
b) he’s bound to be on fairly big wages, he’s ex premiership and an former Irish international
c) we talk about having leaders, but imo having many leaders in the dressing room is just as bad as having none
d) although he brings off the field skills, he’s had a fair say on what Sunderland should do down the years, that worries me dearly. Yes they are a messy club but that doesn’t make him blameless, would argue we are not that much better

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Jun 2018 14:23

TiagoIlori I deem every signing we make as a risk, but the thing that expands that risk is that:
a) blocks the pathway of at least one youngster, who could easily be better in the long run
b) he’s bound to be on fairly big wages, he’s ex premiership and an former Irish international
c) we talk about having leaders, but imo having many leaders in the dressing room is just as bad as having none
d) although he brings off the field skills, he’s had a fair say on what Sunderland should do down the years, that worries me dearly. Yes they are a messy club but that doesn’t make him blameless, would argue we are not that much better

It's a risk, but a small one if a 1-year deal. He won't be blocking youngsters if Clement doesn't think they are ready. (Clement, btw, isn't exactly known for playing youngsters). As said, those youngsters could now go out on loan. He will have too much say here? On a 1-year deal deal? I doubt it.

If this deal goes through, really hope the knives aren't out for him already, scapegoat in the making, under a microscope no matter how he plays, etc.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Jun 2018 14:44

I'd imagine he'll be on pretty decent wages so the whole thing just seems like a bit of a waste of time and money.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Jun 2018 14:54

Why do you imagine he would be on pretty decent wages? Are you basing that on the player he was 10 years ago?

Aging bit part player looking to make the transition into coaching. Just as likely he's playing the long game and is prepared to take a hit on wages for one year to be given a coaching opportunity.

Do you think the likes of Hasselbaink or Clough were minting it at Burton or Bergkamp with Jong Ajax just because of who they used to be? Generally the players interested in going into coaching aren't the ones motivated by money.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Jun 2018 15:01

Q. How many European Cup winners have played for us?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jun 2018 15:02

he wants to play another season, he already stated that. A Champ club has come in and offered him a contract , with a bit of coaching in there, when Sunderland weren't going to. I very much doubt he held us to ransom

Its a bloody long way from Sunderland to Reading though for a year. I think he has a family. Do wonder if there is a carrot of a coaching role next year if things go well

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Jun 2018 15:05

Decent wedge or not, I'll wait and see how he plays. If he's an upgrade on some of the CB-play I saw last season then I'll be ok with it, rather than worrying about what could/maybe/might have happened without him. They may use him some at def-mid too, which was also a disaster area last season.

I recall Clement's reaction after the meltdown against Ipswich and he'd never seen such a complete lack of pride and professionalism in such a crucial game in his life, and he maybe decided right then and there to address it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jun 2018 15:07

Denver Royal
I recall Clement's reaction after the meltdown against Ipswich and he'd never seen such a complete lack of pride and professionalism in such a crucial game in his life, and he maybe decided right then and there to address it.

I think exactly that took place. Reckon he will be looking for a 'leader' up front as well. Basically a fitter, younger Yann

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Jun 2018 15:33

I see it almost as a one year probationary period for a coaching role. Get you badges, see if you're a good fit for the club, show some leadership, earn the respect of the players and play a few games as a bonus. If it doesn't work then bye bye in 12 months, if it does, step up as a key member of the coaching staff.

Might not work but is relatively low risk and could be a master stroke by Clement.

@sonkimarsson

by @sonkimarsson » 06 Jun 2018 17:52

Confirmed on one year deal

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jun 2018 17:53

That took bloody ages from the first report

Oh well, it may work. Good luck to him anyway

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jun 2018 17:54

Oh well.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 06 Jun 2018 18:14

Two back to back relegatons under his belt should be a perfect fit for us.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Sutekh » 06 Jun 2018 18:53

4 sides conceded more goals in the league than Reading last season and now we’ve signed defenders from two of them. Just Bolton and Burton to go to get a complete set.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/fo ... -1-9196328

Seems PC signed him as O’Shea is a highly motivated individual who is tremendously fit.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 06 Jun 2018 18:57

He's 37 ! Good to see us investing in youth

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jun 2018 19:41

Sutekh 4 sides conceded more goals in the league than Reading last season and now we’ve signed defenders from two of them. Just Bolton and Burton to go to get a complete set.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/fo ... -1-9196328

Seems PC signed him as O’Shea is a highly motivated individual who is tremendously fit.

At a guess have we also signed a DM from the team just above us in that list?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jun 2018 20:10

Ugh........ :| :|

240 posts