CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

240 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Jun 2018 21:39

Totally underwhelmed with what I'm seeing happening transfer wise....and this just takes the biscuit....a 37 year old with back to back relegations.
Yep I'm gonna be just as negative as when Clement was appointed. We will be in deeper trouble next season than this one gone. Unless he makes a couple of real decent signings (which judging by this isn't happening), I see no change in results, creativity or confidence.
If he had bought McNair from Sunderland I would have really been excited but John o Shite...urgh!!!!!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jun 2018 23:22

Ascotexgunner Totally underwhelmed with what I'm seeing happening transfer wise....and this just takes the biscuit....a 37 year old with back to back relegations.
Yep I'm gonna be just as negative as when Clement was appointed. We will be in deeper trouble next season than this one gone. Unless he makes a couple of real decent signings (which judging by this isn't happening), I see no change in results, creativity or confidence.
If he had bought McNair from Sunderland I would have really been excited but John o Shite...urgh!!!!!

Let’s see what happens over the next couple of months. Far too early to judge this transfer window. We have brought in defensive minded players so far which is not very exciting. There will be more exciting signings to come.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 08 Jun 2018 00:40

Ascotexgunner Totally underwhelmed with what I'm seeing happening transfer wise....and this just takes the biscuit....a 37 year old with back to back relegations.

You do realise Clement isn't making the signings on his MasterCard?

And it's June 7th. I'm happy with our business so far.

There will be a lot more ins and outs but the time the season kicks off. I can't blame people for thinking we are poor. We really were. It's all behind us now and this team will get back to basics and go again in August with a envious amount of experience with the additions of Clement, Meyler and O'Shea.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jun 2018 08:35

It is your right to be undewhelmed but this year is very different in the transfer market. We have a World Cup and an early closing window. I fully expect the window to be split in two this year:

Part 1 - Now: clubs make move to snap up any free agents they fancy, we have done that pretty well - identified who we wanted (Yiadom and Meyler were linked very early) and moved to get them in quickly,. Not much money will be spent in the Championship at this point, only Wigan and Preston have paid cash for a player to date.

Moving early makes sense in this market esp as our first pre-season game is in 3 weeks time.

Part 2 - Post World Cup to 9th August: This is when the majority of money transfers will take place. Transfer market will get moving once the bigger clubs finalise deals and the market will begin to move. You may see some deals for players from lower division clubs but from next week, things will be fairly quiet until mid-July IMO.

Given that, I can only be pleased with what the club has done so far, O'Shea is a bit out of left field but could well have benefots, identified issues and looked to fill gaps quickly and save money to spend later in the window,-

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 08 Jun 2018 08:37

Ascotexgunner Yep I'm gonna be just as negative as when Clement was appointed.

So you were negative before the team kicked a ball under Clement, negative when he kept us up and now negative before the transfer window has really got going ....oh, unless he buys the player you think we should have....gotcha!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jun 2018 09:43

Nomad_Royal

So you were negative before the team kicked a ball under Clement, negative when he kept us up and now negative before the transfer window has really got going ....oh, unless he buys the player you think we should have....gotcha!

Not entirely sure how anyone can be negative about Clement. He did his job in keeping us up with a squad that wasn't his and almost instantly made us more solid and hard working. Transfer business hasn't been hugely inspiring but it is only June.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jun 2018 09:59

I honestly think Meyler and Yiadom were cracking signings, esp on a free. Read lots of good stuff about Meyler from Hull fans, and Yiadom was wanted by a number of Prem sides last year. Surprised we got him

O'Shea is definitely a bit meh, but can see the thinking. PC has obviously seen what we all saw last year with the terribly soft leaderless mess we were, and has prioritised getting the right characters in to fix it.

Reckon if we can pick up a creative type such as Maddison and a target man, we should be in good shape

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 08 Jun 2018 11:35

We've got O'Shea
Big John O'Shea
I just don't think you understand
He's only 37 and his legs don't work
BIG JOHN O'SHEA

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 08 Jun 2018 11:47

After mulling over this transfer, I am starting see some sense in this. There were time last season when we could of done with him on the pitch. I think his experience in dressing rooms at HT or before the game could be vital. I am sure he is not afraid to shout and give a bollocking to players who screw over the defence and keep the defensive lines right. Ilori and Moore (if he stays) could learn a lot from him.
Could also be a bit of signing because of his name, up the profile of Reading in China as he is an ex Man U player.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jun 2018 12:14

Still think it's a terrible signing that leaves unpleasant question marks about our transfer strategy.

But agree Yiadom and Meyler are very positive. I'm certainly behind Clement. And whilst I don't like the signing of O'Shea obviously he gets a free pass during games in which he plays until he proves to be performing badly.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 08 Jun 2018 13:17

O'Shea has kept himself fit over a long career. You don't play footy that long, at this level, and at that age, if you aren't fit. I'm not saying he's as quick as he used to be, because obviously he isn't. But maybe his overall fitness, preparation, training methods and techniques, diet, and lifestyle etc, will rub off on some of the other players. Coming from Man Yoo, he should have all kind of notes, tips and insight regarding fitness. Roy Keane, Beckham, Giggs, etc, were always in tremendous shape.

As I recall, there hasn't been much dirt on this guy in a long career as a pro. And given how long he has played, he hasn't been injured all the time. Even last season, he played a lot of games. As we know, fitness was an issue last season with a few of our players who are a whole lot younger. When they see this bloke at 37, and what he has achieved, it might be a motivation.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jun 2018 14:22

Denver Royal O'Shea has kept himself fit over a long career. You don't play footy that long, at this level, and at that age, if you aren't fit. I'm not saying he's as quick as he used to be, because obviously he isn't. But maybe his overall fitness, preparation, training methods and techniques, diet, and lifestyle etc, will rub off on some of the other players. Coming from Man Yoo, he should have all kind of notes, tips and insight regarding fitness. Roy Keane, Beckham, Giggs, etc, were always in tremendous shape.

As I recall, there hasn't been much dirt on this guy in a long career as a pro. And given how long he has played, he hasn't been injured all the time. Even last season, he played a lot of games. As we know, fitness was an issue last season with a few of our players who are a whole lot younger. When they see this bloke at 37, and what he has achieved, it might be a motivation.

Never thought he had pace anyway so don't think his age will have had much impact on that. And as long as he is top quality at being able to read a game then pace would be even less of an issue. Remember Keith McPherson - all the pace of an oil tanker but nearly always in just the right place at the right time.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jun 2018 14:41

Snowflake Royal Still think it's a terrible signing that leaves unpleasant question marks about our transfer strategy.

But agree Yiadom and Meyler are very positive. I'm certainly behind Clement. And whilst I don't like the signing of O'Shea obviously he gets a free pass during games in which he plays until he proves to be performing badly.

How can 1 signing leave unpleasant question marks over our strategy when the other two are positive? He is very likely to be the outlier and whilst I still remain a little bemused by it, I am beginning to see the rationale behind it. Experienced leader, who whilst he may no longer be the top player he was, can still offer something both on and off the pitch (mainly off) . Holmes for example can only learn from him.

If the next couple of signings are older (rather than experienced) players then yes, the strategy is blinkered and worrying, however, we are being linked with a number of younger up and coming players, so I see no need for concern at this stage.

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 08 Jun 2018 14:52

Old Man Andrews
Nomad_Royal

Not entirely sure how anyone can be negative about Clement. He did his job in keeping us up with a squad that wasn't his and almost instantly made us more solid and hard working. Transfer business hasn't been hugely inspiring but it is only June.

Totally agree, I cant understand anyone being negative so early.

I've no doubt at all that we would have been down if the change to Clement hadn't been made, lets give the man some space and time and lets see where we are at Christmas. I'd personally settle for a season of mid table mediocrity provided we saw some progression on the playing front.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Jun 2018 15:40

Snowflake Royal Still think it's a terrible signing that leaves unpleasant question marks about our transfer strategy.

+1

Anyone who is 'open-minded' to this signing needs their head checking - there's no positive way of looking at it. It's a sign of the calibre of side we are now: mid-table Champ dross.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jun 2018 15:42

John Smith

+1

Anyone who is 'open-minded' to this signing needs their head checking - there's no positive way of looking at it. It's a sign of the calibre of side we are now: mid-table Champ dross.

tbf that'd be a big improvement on last year

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 08 Jun 2018 16:07

Old Man Andrews
Nomad_Royal

For those two games, before we reverted to being even more atrocious at the back than under Stam. While also being unable to score

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jun 2018 16:26

Stranded

How can 1 signing leave unpleasant question marks over our strategy when the other two are positive? He is very likely to be the outlier and whilst I still remain a little bemused by it, I am beginning to see the rationale behind it. Experienced leader, who whilst he may no longer be the top player he was, can still offer something both on and off the pitch (mainly off) . Holmes for example can only learn from him.

If the next couple of signings are older (rather than experienced) players then yes, the strategy is blinkered and worrying, however, we are being linked with a number of younger up and coming players, so I see no need for concern at this stage.

Because it's a continuation of the poor strategies we've followed for several seasons and not a clear break from them. A regression to mean.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Jun 2018 16:36

Completely agree with Stranded. It's not even halfway through June yet. :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jun 2018 16:47

genome Completely agree with Stranded. It's not even halfway through June yet. :|

What's the time of year got to do with ut?

240 posts