CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

240 posts
User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19605
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by genome » 08 Jun 2018 16:58

Snowflake Royal wrote:
genome wrote:Completely agree with Stranded. It's not even halfway through June yet. :|

What's the time of year got to do with ut?


There are two months left of the transfer window.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3719
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jun 2018 17:03

genome wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:
genome wrote:Completely agree with Stranded. It's not even halfway through June yet. :|

What's the time of year got to do with ut?


There are two months left of the transfer window.

Which has zero relevance to whether John O'Shea is a good or bad signing. The quality and worth would be the same whether it was May or August.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 1042
Joined: 02 Jun 2004 10:58
Location: Between Emmer Green duck pond and The White Horse

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Denver Royal » 08 Jun 2018 17:11

John Smith wrote:Anyone who is 'open-minded' to this signing needs their head checking - there's no positive way of looking at it. It's a sign of the calibre of side we are now: mid-table Champ dross.


I'm open-minded on most any signing really. Stats show that the majority of them don't pan out, at any club. We'll know more about this one about this time next year.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6569
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Hound » 08 Jun 2018 17:23

I find it a bit of an odd comment though. It’s not like Clarke’s reliance on ridiculous loans, Stam’s bargain bucket first season or the wasteful expensive signings of last year

It strikes me as a genuine effort by PC to fill glaring gaps in last years squad. We need a leader at CB and whilst I think O Shea wasn’t the right choice can see the thought behind it

And we 100% needed another RB and DM

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3719
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jun 2018 17:25

I'd just like to say I rarely call out a signing as poor, but if I remember correctly, the last two I have were Mendes and Aluko.


User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3250
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jun 2018 17:57

John Madejski's Wallet wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
Nomad_Royal wrote:
So you were negative before the team kicked a ball under Clement, negative when he kept us up and now negative before the transfer window has really got going ....oh, unless he buys the player you think we should have....gotcha!


Not entirely sure how anyone can be negative about Clement. He did his job in keeping us up with a squad that wasn't his and almost instantly made us more solid and hard working. Transfer business hasn't been hugely inspiring but it is only June.

For those two games, before we reverted to being even more atrocious at the back than under Stam. While also being unable to score


We wouldn't have won another two games all season under Stam.

Were you expecting him to suddenly turn a bunch of useless, gutless morons into world class footballers in the space of two months? He did what he needed to do which was get two wins and then a draw on the last day.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 1042
Joined: 02 Jun 2004 10:58
Location: Between Emmer Green duck pond and The White Horse

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Denver Royal » 08 Jun 2018 18:17

Hound wrote:I find it a bit of an odd comment though. It’s not like Clarke’s reliance on ridiculous loans, Stam’s bargain bucket first season or the wasteful expensive signings of last year

It strikes me as a genuine effort by PC to fill glaring gaps in last years squad. We need a leader at CB and whilst I think O Shea wasn’t the right choice can see the thought behind it

And we 100% needed another RB and DM


Yep, I agree, well said. I feel it indicates Clement was more disappointed with this lot than he let on. Not sure he could believe the lack of pride, effort, fight, professionalism, silly and repeated red cards, meltdowns, etc. And this, in a critical run of games for the club and its future. It was something new to him, as if he'd never seen anything quite like it at this level. Maybe he wasn't best pleased with what he saw at training either. He got us over the line, but only just, and it came down to the last day. And he thought 'Right, I'm not going in to war with this lot again'.

Accordingly, I didn't expect a bunch of sexy signings. I doubt Clement thought 'this team is close' and just needs one or two flashy players to compliment things. So, we have signed 3 solid proven pro's, 2 of them captain's. Whether they actually pan out remains to be seen, but it reveals a strategy. And since they were all free signing's, hopefully it has freed up funds for later signings this Summer.

User avatar
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 2387
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 11:35
Location: Feeding the leccy meter at the County Ground

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Lower West » 08 Jun 2018 23:03

Denver Royal wrote: So, we have signed 3 solid proven pro's, 2 of them captain's.


All 3 are/have been. Elphick would make 4 if he signs. Looks more and more like a Coppell squad. Though now there's a good crop of youngsters to nuture. The off the field influence is equally important. Clement does seem to be going to basics with a long term plan.

Cape Town Royal
Member
Posts: 243
Joined: 15 Feb 2012 19:29

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Cape Town Royal » 09 Jun 2018 07:43

Lower West wrote:
Denver Royal wrote: So, we have signed 3 solid proven pro's, 2 of them captain's.


All 3 are/have been. Elphick would make 4 if he signs. Looks more and more like a Coppell squad. Though now there's a good crop of youngsters to nuture. The off the field influence is equally important. Clement does seem to be going to basics with a long term plan.


Which lets be honest is what this squad needs. Look lost and fragile last season, but there is talent there. Bring in some solidity, then at least he has a base to work from. I am not fond of the O'Shea signing, I have never really rated him but I can understand why he has signed him. He may not even play much, but if he see's him as a leader in the group then that has to be good on and off the pitch because the tone is set on the training pitch. If that's right it gets carried onto the pitch.


User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19605
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by genome » 09 Jun 2018 09:27

Snowflake Royal wrote:
genome wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:What's the time of year got to do with ut?


There are two months left of the transfer window.

Which has zero relevance to whether John O'Shea is a good or bad signing. The quality and worth would be the same whether it was May or August.


You said it's not a "clean break from previous transfer strategies" - you need to wait for the whole window to finish before you can make a judgement on that. You're jumping to conclusions.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3719
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jun 2018 09:41

genome wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:
genome wrote:
There are two months left of the transfer window.

Which has zero relevance to whether John O'Shea is a good or bad signing. The quality and worth would be the same whether it was May or August.


You said it's not a "clean break from previous transfer strategies" - you need to wait for the whole window to finish before you can make a judgement on that. You're jumping to conclusions.

No I don't, because I'm not writing off our transfer window. I'm judging a signing in context of what has gone before and saying I don't like the signals it sends.

There is a big difference between my concerns and criticism and the usual suspects writing off the summer as a disaster because we haven't immediately made 7 great big money signings.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3719
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jun 2018 09:41

genome wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:
genome wrote:
There are two months left of the transfer window.

Which has zero relevance to whether John O'Shea is a good or bad signing. The quality and worth would be the same whether it was May or August.


You said it's not a "clean break from previous transfer strategies" - you need to wait for the whole window to finish before you can make a judgement on that. You're jumping to conclusions.

No I don't, because I'm not writing off our transfer window. I'm judging a signing in context of what has gone before and saying I don't like the signals it sends.

There is a big difference between my concerns and criticism and the usual suspects writing off the summer as a disaster because we haven't immediately made 7 great big money signings.

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19605
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by genome » 09 Jun 2018 10:08

Snowflake Royal wrote:
genome wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:Which has zero relevance to whether John O'Shea is a good or bad signing. The quality and worth would be the same whether it was May or August.


You said it's not a "clean break from previous transfer strategies" - you need to wait for the whole window to finish before you can make a judgement on that. You're jumping to conclusions.

No I don't, because I'm not writing off our transfer window. I'm judging a signing in context of what has gone before and saying I don't like the signals it sends.

There is a big difference between my concerns and criticism and the usual suspects writing off the summer as a disaster because we haven't immediately made 7 great big money signings.


You can dress it up however you like, but you're still making a premature judgement on our transfer strategy and you're also judging players before they've even played for us. It's foolish and pointless.

It's obvious what Clement is doing in the early stages, he's adding strong characters to the dressing room. Gourlay has stated Clement has some cash to spend - we've spent precisely none of it yet. Relax.


User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3719
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jun 2018 10:22

It's premature to judge our transfer policy has changed to something more successful and posituve after just three free signings in May / June. One third of which is thoroughly underwhelming and a continuation of poor value for money, and failure to address first XI and squad bloat issues.

You should wait and see the whole summer business before declaring that our strategy has improved rather than jumping to a conclusion on blind hope and one or two apparently decent signings without having seen them play a single minute for us.

:roll: :wink:

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19605
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by genome » 09 Jun 2018 10:50

Would you like some more straw for your strawman?

I haven't actually said our strategy has improved. I've said I'm just reserving judgement, both positive and negative.

blythspartan
Member
Posts: 273
Joined: 05 Jun 2012 20:50

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by blythspartan » 09 Jun 2018 16:51

I don't have a problem with this signing at all. Pretty low risk and obviously brought into the club to add some much needed character on and off the pitch.

It's only early June and we have made 3 fairly solid signings and it looks as if PC wants to get his business done early. Also, unlike Stam he appears to have a plan.

In addition, we have a pre-season schedule and I am looking forward to going to AFC Wimbledon. This is all light years ahead of the shambles that was in place last season.

User avatar
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1738
Joined: 07 Jan 2012 17:23
Location: Ascot

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Jun 2018 17:44

John Madejski's Wallet wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
Nomad_Royal wrote:
So you were negative before the team kicked a ball under Clement, negative when he kept us up and now negative before the transfer window has really got going ....oh, unless he buys the player you think we should have....gotcha!


Not entirely sure how anyone can be negative about Clement. He did his job in keeping us up with a squad that wasn't his and almost instantly made us more solid and hard working. Transfer business hasn't been hugely inspiring but it is only June.

For those two games, before we reverted to being even more atrocious at the back than under Stam. While also being unable to score


That is my point JMW. We were worse. We shouldn't have even won the two games we did. QPR could have run up a Norwichesque score. Why do we need a 37 year old as a "filler", how about blooding a few youngsters when we need them. We have a decent youth policy. Instead we take on someone who no doubt will probably get injured in training and like Ferdinand will probably hardly play and draw a salary.

Elm Park Kid
Member
Posts: 675
Joined: 05 Feb 2013 11:45

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Elm Park Kid » 09 Jun 2018 18:47

IMO these are the signings of a club trying to plug gaps so it can get through a Championship season without being involved in another relegation battle. Rather than a club that has genuine ambitions of being in the Premier League.

Don't get me wrong, it's fine to be realistic given the huge sums of money being thrown around by clubs that want to get promoted. But I just hope that fans don't delude themselves that these sorts of players represent any ambition.

User avatar
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 2387
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 11:35
Location: Feeding the leccy meter at the County Ground

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Lower West » 09 Jun 2018 19:05

Cape Town Royal wrote: I am not fond of the O'Shea signing, I have never really rated him but I can understand why he has signed him. He may not even play much, but if he see's him as a leader in the group then that has to be good on and off the pitch because the tone is set on the training pitch. If that's right it gets carried onto the pitch.


Apparently does a lot of charity work voluntarily. Be known to turn up at foodbanks in Sunderland on Boxing Day and lend a hand. A clear indication of the character of the man and the infliuence he could have within the club.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3719
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jun 2018 20:11

Ascotexgunner wrote:
John Madejski's Wallet wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
Not entirely sure how anyone can be negative about Clement. He did his job in keeping us up with a squad that wasn't his and almost instantly made us more solid and hard working. Transfer business hasn't been hugely inspiring but it is only June.

For those two games, before we reverted to being even more atrocious at the back than under Stam. While also being unable to score


That is my point JMW. We were worse. We shouldn't have even won the two games we did. QPR could have run up a Norwichesque score. Why do we need a 37 year old as a "filler", how about blooding a few youngsters when we need them. We have a decent youth policy. Instead we take on someone who no doubt will probably get injured in training and like Ferdinand will probably hardly play and draw a salary.

LOL @ that QPR side running up seven goals against us. :lol: :lol:

240 posts

Who is online

It is currently 20 Sep 2018 14:44