by Hound » 30 Jun 2018 17:48

bobby1413 Isn't swift total dog sh*te?

Nope

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Eastleigh (a) sponsored by football is back

by Lower West » 30 Jun 2018 19:04

In essence a 45 minute run out for those available. Gives Clement a chance to allow everybody an opportunity to claim a spot. Next game will see another permutation of a team. Likely some on show today won't make the final cut.

russyb

by russyb » 30 Jun 2018 19:26

I went...

Shots on goal still an issue, Eastleigh were well drilled by manager Andy Hessentalar, and definitely did the work to win second balls etc. Second goal from them was really due to poor defending on our part I think they had about 4 players free to have a shot, mannone will be a bit disappointed he didn’t smother it too.
All those that rave about swift he was weak and toothless, pelle clement doing a much better job than him in second half. Popa needs to work on his fitness and crossing but I hope he can offer us something. Also welcome back Harriot who looked lively. Plenty to work on including a bit more speed of play.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jun 2018 19:34

bobby1413
NewCorkSeth Did we win?

Yep we won, valuable three points too. Great start to the season

:arrow: Promotion Party Thread.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 Jun 2018 19:34

According to the official site’s match report the pitch was both dry and sticky. As excuses go that’s up there.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Jun 2018 21:33

Twitter and facebook. :D

No point in playing this season, we are down already.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jul 2018 20:57

Eastleigh started and finished with a lot of trialists and new players (to our eternal ‘shame’) fwiw

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Jul 2018 21:04

AthleticoSpizz Eastleigh started and finished with a lot of trialists and new players (to our eternal ‘shame’) fwiw

:lol: That’s embarrassing.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jul 2018 21:08

Early days....I’m sure

Don’t read anything into pre-season friendlies they say :lol:

An unconvincing 1-0 (Federici goal :shock: ) win at Bromley preceded our highest ever league finish :D

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 02 Jul 2018 07:17

bobby1413
NewCorkSeth Did we win?

Think we lost 1:2?

Good to see that Popa is back in the squad .... was afraid he was gone.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Jul 2018 12:18

Royalwaster
bobby1413
NewCorkSeth Did we win?

Think we lost 1:2?

Good to see that Popa is back in the squad .... was afraid he was gone.

Can I get a Whoosh? :lol:

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 02 Jul 2018 12:43

Looked to be a continuation of last year. I'm hoping this is because we are currently not at the fitness levels required and Eastleigh perhaps have had a few more sessions. No excuses though, these are elite athletes who should be looking after themselves during and after the season whatever they are up to. Still its early days lets get behind the boys as testing as it is at times!

Points to note:
Aluko - Didn't realize he was on the pitch until his shot that went over. I think we should offer him back to Fulham personally
Meite - Could be a success up front, particularly with his pace. You don't just play for PSG unless you have talent or something about you
Harriot - Like a new signing, great to see him back and I think could be equally as useful in a wing back role as shown against Fulham in December 16
Yiadom - Loved his tackles, looks a good signing and will be a fans favorite
Mannone - Poor goalkeeping for the second goal conceded, too error prone and there is better on the market at a good price should we sell him to an Italian club

The goal itself was great link up play with Bacuna and Edwards, we need to see more runs like this from midfield off the ball.

Organizationally when attacking and defending we still need a hell of a lot of work. When we defend, we still seem to switch off and make silly mistakes whether it be the goalkeeper or our defenders. Hopefully with the new signings getting involved more this will eradicate some of the issues.

When attacking we very rarely look like we are going to do anything unless it is through Barrow running down the left wing at speed. We desperately need more from our centre forwards in terms of involvement in either finishing the chance or being part of the build up. I might be unrealistic but in today's market you get what you pay for. At the moment we are gambling on foreign imports/youth players who may come good but other than Yann we have no striker who is established at Championship level. We need to invest the money where it counts and until the club realizes this it is very unlikely we will progress towards the top end of the Championship for a while. The established strikers are the difference between dominating a game and winning convincingly taking the majority of our chances or dominating a game as we did last year and throwing it away because we were not clinical enough in front of goal despite starting off well.

Finally to the 13 year old idiots sat behind the goal making the sarcy/negative chants towards the team either support the team and encourage them or don't bother turning up at all to any of the games if all. If your enjoyment on a Saturday is to constantly moan/boo then I probably speak for the majority of the fans when I say you're not wanted as part of the club's fanbase. Yes we lost but its the first game of pre season and a new slate for every player in that squad. Have an opinion on here by all means if you think a player has been rubbish but for goodness sake get behind them all at each game. We all want the same end result!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jul 2018 13:38

bracksroyal10 When attacking we very rarely look like we are going to do anything unless it is through Barrow running down the left wing at speed. We desperately need more from our centre forwards in terms of involvement in either finishing the chance or being part of the build up. I might be unrealistic but in today's market you get what you pay for. At the moment we are gambling on foreign imports/youth players who may come good but other than Yann we have no striker who is established at Championship level. We need to invest the money where it counts and until the club realizes this it is very unlikely we will progress towards the top end of the Championship for a while.

Zip Kelly and Swift just do not work.

Thus far, Kelly has regressed under Clement, imo. And we really need Swift to step up in a big way this season. Opinions may vary on how likely that is, but if it doesn't happen its going to be a problem, unless we sign someone else.

Some have made the point in here, and I tend to agree, that the need for a consistent creator in midfield goes hand in hand with the issues at striker.

Beyond Meyler at def-mid, we basically have a bunch of questions in midfield at this point (and I include Bacuna in that).

Bracksroyal, thx for the report.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 02 Jul 2018 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Jul 2018 14:03

Denver Royal
bracksroyal10 When attacking we very rarely look like we are going to do anything unless it is through Barrow running down the left wing at speed. We desperately need more from our centre forwards in terms of involvement in either finishing the chance or being part of the build up. I might be unrealistic but in today's market you get what you pay for. At the moment we are gambling on foreign imports/youth players who may come good but other than Yann we have no striker who is established at Championship level. We need to invest the money where it counts and until the club realizes this it is very unlikely we will progress towards the top end of the Championship for a while.

Thus far, Kelly has regressed under Clement, imo. And we really need Swift to step up in a big way this season. Opinions may vary on how likely that is, but if it doesn't happen its going to be a problem, unless we sign someone else.

Some have made the point in here, and I tend to agree, that the need for a consistent creator in midfield goes hand in hand with the issues at striker.

Do you mean Kelly has regressed under Stam & Clement? Would be a massive drop off in form and ability if he's regressed in half a dozen games.

russyb

by russyb » 02 Jul 2018 14:07

Denver Royal

I'm going to be a bit controversial here and suggest that Pelle Clement is that man, he had far more movement, passing and general play than swift on saturday and i think if given the opportunity this season he can flourish. I now prepare to be shot down by peoples pre judgement/past judgement of what they have seen of him. :-)

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jul 2018 14:20

Tilehurstsouthbank
Denver Royal

Do you mean Kelly has regressed under Stam & Clement? Would be a massive drop off in form and ability if he's regressed in half a dozen games.

In Clement's eight games last season, Kelly struggled to adjust, imo. For one thing he seemed to have less touches, was bypassed, and he didn't get in to a rhythm in games. And when he did get on the ball he was expected to make longer passes, which he struggled to adapt to and pull off. That's essentially what I saw, did you see it differently? That doesn't mean that Kelly can't/won't step up this season. Hopefully he will, and his preseason will be pursuant to that.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Jul 2018 15:25

Denver Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank
Denver Royal

In Clement's eight games last season, Kelly struggled to adjust, imo. For one thing he seemed to have less touches, was bypassed, and he didn't get in to a rhythm in games. And when he did get on the ball he was expected to make longer passes, which he struggled to adapt to and pull off. That's essentially what I saw, did you see it differently? That doesn't mean that Kelly can't/won't step up this season. Hopefully he will, and his preseason will be pursuant to that.

Not saying I saw it differently mate. Just that it's a bit harsh to judge the young lad in so few games under Clement, especially when we were scrapping for points.
Hopefully with a fresh start, him and a lot of the other under performers from last season will show improvement.