Three at the back

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Delboy

Three at the back

by Delboy » 09 Jul 2018 07:58

England have been very successful with 3 at the back should Reading adopt this system, do we have the players ?

Old Man Andrews

Re: Three at the back

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jul 2018 08:03

Delboy England have been very successful with 3 at the back should Reading adopt this system, do we have the players ?

Nobody cares. Put Reading down until July 16th.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jul 2018 08:53

and the answer is 'no'

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jul 2018 09:17

Thought Reading had been doing that last season. Trouble is that one of the 3 was the keeper.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jul 2018 21:47

Not really. It leaves a question mark over what you do with Barrow, and with Obita injured we don't really have a decent left wing back. It's certainly something we should consider building towards as we've got a range of pretty decent centrebacks and central midfielders and not many wingers who are much cop, or a striker who can lead the line as well as score.

Mannone
Yiadom
Obita
Moore
McShane
Ilori
Kelly
Bacuna
Meyler
McNulty / Barrow
Bodvarsson

Looks a pretty decent first XI, but the back up starts to look a bit on the ropey side when you think of Gunter, Richards, Blackett, O'Shea, Evans, Edwards, Smith, Aluko, Jaakkola

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Jul 2018 21:49

Snowflake Royal Not really. It leaves a question mark over what you do with Barrow, and with Obita injured we don't really have a decent left wing back. It's certainly something we should consider building towards as we've got a range of pretty decent centrebacks and central midfielders and not many wingers who are much cop, or a striker who can lead the line as well as score.

Mannone
Yiadom
Obita
Moore
McShane
Ilori
Kelly
Bacuna
Meyler
McNulty / Barrow
Bodvarsson

Looks a pretty decent first XI, but the back up starts to look a bit on the ropey side when you think of Gunter, Richards, Blackett, O'Shea, Evans, Edwards, Smith, Aluko, Jaakkola

Can Richards not play wing back? Thought he was better going forward last season than he was defensively.

I still look at all of those players and just think its an impressively average squad.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Jul 2018 22:02

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal Not really. It leaves a question mark over what you do with Barrow, and with Obita injured we don't really have a decent left wing back. It's certainly something we should consider building towards as we've got a range of pretty decent centrebacks and central midfielders and not many wingers who are much cop, or a striker who can lead the line as well as score.

Mannone
Yiadom
Obita
Moore
McShane
Ilori
Kelly
Bacuna
Meyler
McNulty / Barrow
Bodvarsson

Can Richards not play wing back? Thought he was better going forward last season than he was defensively.

I still look at all of those players and just think its an impressively average squad.

Richards would be a better wing back than full back. He looked good going forward but naive defensively.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jul 2018 22:04

CountryRoyal

Mannone
Yiadom
Obita
Moore
McShane
Ilori
Kelly
Bacuna
Meyler
McNulty / Barrow
Bodvarsson

I mean, I'm sure he can.. I just don't think he was very good last season. Promising for an Academy breakthrough in a shit team, and he's got an eye for goal. But I didn't think he was really near ready to play regularly as anything other than an emergency 'everyone else is shit or injured' cover.

I look at that team (not squad, with you there) and think there are a goodly few who could be quality with the right start and players around them. Obviously big question marks over most of them achieving that quality on a regular basis. But Moore, McShane, Ilori, Yiadom, Kelly, Bacuna, Barrow... I could see them all potentially having excellent seasons in a confident side with a bit more quality around them.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 10 Jul 2018 23:35

Would be perfect, I've said this may times:

--------------------McNulty (or other)
---------------------Barrow
--------Bacuna -----------------Swift
Obita ----------Meyler -----------Yiadom
-----Gunter -----Moore------ Illori
(Someone better than Mannone)

It's also the only way we can use Blackett

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Jul 2018 23:58

PistolPete Would be perfect, I've said this may times:

--------------------McNulty (or other)
---------------------Barrow
--------Bacuna -----------------Swift
Obita ----------Meyler -----------Yiadom
-----Gunter -----Moore------ Illori
(Someone better than Mannone)

It's also the only way we can use Blackett

Genuinely made me lol :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2018 07:08

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

Mannone
Yiadom
Obita
Moore
McShane
Ilori
Kelly
Bacuna
Meyler
McNulty / Barrow
Bodvarsson

I mean, I'm sure he can.. I just don't think he was very good last season. Promising for an Academy breakthrough in a shit team, and he's got an eye for goal. But I didn't think he was really near ready to play regularly as anything other than an emergency 'everyone else is shit or injured' cover.

I look at that team (not squad, with you there) and think there are a goodly few who could be quality with the right start and players around them. Obviously big question marks over most of them achieving that quality on a regular basis. But Moore, McShane, Ilori, Yiadom, Kelly, Bacuna, Barrow... I could see them all potentially having excellent seasons in a confident side with a bit more quality around them.

Agree, it’s all about getting a winning mentality going. If we start off well we could have a good season, the talent is there

Do still need that striker though - McNulty will take a while to get to to speed and Bod has missed preseason and isn’t top class anyway

Agree on Richards as well. Potentially a good player but a way off yet. Needs to toughen up a bit as well (sure that will come with age)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Jul 2018 18:37

Definately 4 at the back today. Back to basics.

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1