CONFIMRED - George Evans to Derby

153 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - George Evans to Sunderland

by andrew1957 » 20 Jul 2018 09:58

I have to say I am a bit baffled by Evan's departure - assuming the rumours are true of course

I can understand Clement wanting to get rid of the dead wood from centre mid and it makes sense to offload the likes of Wiese and Van den Berg (if he goes). I have to say that Edwards also looked very poor at times. But every time I have watched Evans I see potential and he is young and can get better and if the other central midfielders names earlier go we will end up looking very short in that department. It now sounds like Rimonhota is going to be loaned out too so that will make us even more vulnerable to injury.

And even more oddly the fee now being talked about if just 250K. If it had been a million you could just about justify this on financial grounds but at 250K it sounds like we want to offload him at any price. Perhaps he is a bad influence behind the scenes. I just cannot see why else we seem so keen to offload a player who has potential for peanuts.

Very odd.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2018 10:14

I doubt its 250k. Think that was something Sunderland threw about early doors

He just hasn't been good enough for us. Very beige and very rarely influences a game. On paper he should have potential etc, but he has been with us 2.5 years now and not shown a great deal. From what I've seen of Rinomhota, he is a better player and prospect, and I think PC agrees with that.

I'm 100% sure he isnt a bad influence, but you can't carry a squad the size of ours around and keep everyone happy. We need to offload 5 or 6 imo

And he only has a year left on his contract anyway. No point in keeping him hanging around if he isn't going to start many games, only for him to leave at the end of the season anyway

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Jul 2018 10:15

I think he influences games by being steady and "beige" and doing the low profile but necessary stuff.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2018 10:17

Maneki Neko I think he influences games by being steady and "beige" and doing the low profile but necessary stuff.

but he just doesn't do it very well. He isnt someone who you don't notice as he is doing his job so well, because we kept getting ripped apart in our midfield whenever he (or anyone else tbf) played there last year.

IMO the midfield was massively the issue last year. It neither created or stemmed the opposition.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2018 10:17

Yep get rid.

My guess is the club are being polite and not kicking him straight off the Austria tour, which is fine with me. Guessing the deal is probably done and will be announced when the squad return.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Jul 2018 10:17

Hound I doubt its 250k. Think that was something Sunderland threw about early doors

He just hasn't been good enough for us. Very beige and very rarely influences a game. On paper he should have potential etc, but he has been with us 2.5 years now and not shown a great deal. From what I've seen of Rinomhota, he is a better player and prospect, and I think PC agrees with that.

I'm 100% sure he isnt a bad influence, but you can't carry a squad the size of ours around and keep everyone happy. We need to offload 5 or 6 imo

And he only has a year left on his contract anyway. No point in keeping him hanging around if he isn't going to start many games, only for him to leave at the end of the season anyway

Reading Chronicle reporting 250K this morning. I agree re Rimonhota - who has looked good every time I have seen him at U23 level and cup games - but another article is saying he is going out on loan and so we then look very short in centre mid to me.
Last edited by andrew1957 on 20 Jul 2018 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2018 10:22

yep just seen the chronicle article. Very dubious about anything they say, but think 250k would be less than I'd want/expect for him.

500-750k would be nearer the mark

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 20 Jul 2018 11:17

The reason we looked do lightweight last season was lack of a ball winning midfielder. I wasn't a massive Williams fan but he had a stonking last season for us and wad the engine in the middle. Hopefully Meyler can be the answer to this issue.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Jul 2018 11:23

Hound yep just seen the chronicle article. Very dubious about anything they say, but think 250k would be less than I'd want/expect for him.

Not sure about that. We're lucky to get anything for him. He adds no value.

Next let's get shot of John Swift

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Jul 2018 11:24

Tilehurstsouthbank The reason we looked do lightweight last season was lack of a ball winning midfielder. I wasn't a massive Williams fan but he had a stonking last season for us and wad the engine in the middle. Hopefully Meyler can be the answer to this issue.

Totally agree but what if Meyler gets injured. I think Evans is the best of the rest in that role. Edwards looked lightweight and Swift/Kelly are more attacking. I would have kept Evans this season and risked losing him on a free. Unless of course we have another Meyler like centre mid coming in?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Jul 2018 11:25

John Smith
Hound yep just seen the chronicle article. Very dubious about anything they say, but think 250k would be less than I'd want/expect for him.

Assume that is a joke. Swift was very good the season before last but had bad luck with injuries last time. I think he will be a key player this season if he can keep fit.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Jul 2018 11:28

andrew1957
John Smith

Assume that is a joke. Swift was very good the season before last but had bad luck with injuries last time. I think he will be a key player this season if he can keep fit.

The only joke round here is Swift himself. And you for thinking he's anything more than a League 1 squad player. Dross - must go

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Jul 2018 11:51

John Smith
andrew1957
John Smith Not sure about that. We're lucky to get anything for him. He adds no value.

The only joke round here is Swift himself. And you for thinking he's anything more than a League 1 squad player. Dross - must go

Me thinks you should cut down on the beer.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2018 12:16

Bacuna possibly in the DM role, though he didn’t exactly excel in it last year. Hoping Meyler stays fit tbh. Evans certainly wasn’t the answer there

Swift is a major player for us if fit. Looks encouraging so far, but if his hammies continue to ping it may be best to cut our losses

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2018 12:51

andrew1957
Hound I doubt its 250k. Think that was something Sunderland threw about early doors

Reading Chronicle reporting 250K this morning. I agree re Rimonhota - who has looked good every time I have seen him at U23 level and cup games - but another article is saying he is going out on loan and so we then look very short in centre mid to me.

The chronicle can barely tell it's arse from its elbow.

Evans isn't going to get better sitting in our reserves or on our bench and he's not going to play for us regularly.

Sometimes it just doesn't work for decent players. If you don't make it in 2 years it's probably time to move on in the best interests of all concerned.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2018 15:16

no Evans in the squad vs Rubin Kazan. looks like a done deal

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 20 Jul 2018 17:14

andrew1957
John Smith

And played with the u21's at the England tournament so had next to no rest or pre-season... For a young central midfielder that has to take its toll.

That said I think this is a big season for him, because he wasn't the same player last season and it's a key position.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2018 19:56

Sky reckon the fee is 700k which seems more likely

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 21 Jul 2018 21:04

Let’s not forget that Evans may want to leave to play regular football rather than sit on the bench as Meyler’s back up

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 22 Jul 2018 08:10

Latest...Source Newsnow.co.uk

The club has met the personal demands of the player but the move is now in jeopardy due to the 23-year-old hoping to keep his options open, and possibly remain in the Championship. There had been talk of Derby County coming in for the midfielder, but as Frank Lampard’s team are not actually interested, Evans is either stuck with Reading for the time being or agrees to move to Sunderland.

While Evans may want to wait before deciding his future, Sunderland are pressing on with alternative targets just in case this one doesn’t happen.

153 posts