CONFIMRED - Sam Baldock

195 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Sam Baldock

by Stranded » 25 Jul 2018 14:16

Theroyalbox This one is happening, probably announced Friday

If it is happening, this would make sense. Can announce him signing and launch the kit at the same time.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 25 Jul 2018 14:36

Stranded
Theroyalbox This one is happening, probably announced Friday

If it is happening, this would make sense. Can announce him signing and launch the kit at the same time.

no idea if that'll be the case mate, not exactly a marquee signing to do that kind of thing, from what I hear from a bloke who works at the club we should have Baldock plus one more before the end of the transfer.

He was pretty good for the McNulty thing a couple of weeks before it happened so fingers crossed hes right about this

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Jul 2018 15:24

Old Man Andrews
IRjAy Baldock's stats at this level speak for itself. He'd be a decent signing. Some of our fans are clearly living in cloud cuckoo land if they think we can sign better after the miserable season we had last season. We are not even close to being as a attractive draw as we were 12 months ago!

18 goals in 81 games for Brighton. Hardly prolific is it.

Shane Long throughout his career had the same hit rate but many here orgasmed (and still do) over him.

I'm not saying he'll be a good or bad signing even if I am underwhelmed. But I use to hound the board of Shane Long lovers with the tag "Mr Zero" after he IIRC went 18 league games without a single league goal. I still dislike the player for that reason but he seemed popular among most fans here who would argue with me. I was right in that he never ended up scoring more than 1 in 4 with us or for any club after us. But he still was very popular.

The argument of the Longophiles was that it's not all about the goals it's about the movement and chances created. These guys (IE most of this board) are probably right, who knows. When you have a finisher like McNulty he's exactly the partner you need.

Whilst I'm underwhelmed I am still open to it for this reason.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jul 2018 16:29

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Old Man Andrews
IRjAy Baldock's stats at this level speak for itself. He'd be a decent signing. Some of our fans are clearly living in cloud cuckoo land if they think we can sign better after the miserable season we had last season. We are not even close to being as a attractive draw as we were 12 months ago!

Shane Long throughout his career had the same hit rate but many here orgasmed (and still do) over him.

I'm not saying he'll be a good or bad signing even if I am underwhelmed. But I use to hound the board of Shane Long lovers with the tag "Mr Zero" after he IIRC went 18 league games without a single league goal. I still dislike the player for that reason but he seemed popular among most fans here who would argue with me. I was right in that he never ended up scoring more than 1 in 4 with us or for any club after us. But he still was very popular.

The argument of the Longophiles was that it's not all about the goals it's about the movement and chances created. These guys (IE most of this board) are probably right, who knows. When you have a finisher like McNulty he's exactly the partner you need.

Whilst I'm underwhelmed I am still open to it for this reason.

Would agree that as long as Reading are scoring regularly they could play Ansii Jaakkola and Tyler Blackett up front for all I care. However when you're talking of signing strikers we all want to get someone in who excites people with the prospect of scoring lots of goals as that's what strikers are expected to do.

Sam Baldock would be an underwhelming signing on the excitement front given his recent record but may well enable a team to be built that is greater than the sum of it's parts or a team and set of tactics that plays specifically to the benefits of Baldock's game and he flourishes as a result.

All you can do is welcome him in and give him 6 months to see what he and the team can do together and then he'll either be a Kitson or an Aluko.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 25 Jul 2018 17:03

Sunderland have joined the “race” for Sam Baldock. Not worried about them one bit

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jul 2018 17:22

He was part of a successful Brighton team for 3 years. Their fans seem to think a lot of him, and are likely to know a lot more about him than people who have seen him 2 or 3 times and decided he is useless because his scoring rate isn’t amazing

We’re shopping pretty bargain basement, and in a world where Martin Waghorn is going for 8m, would happily take Baldock for a few million

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 25 Jul 2018 23:25

Fairly well respected at Brighton. Seen as a 'top' Championship striker. Certainly better than anything we've got at the moment.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 27 Jul 2018 12:33

Elm Park Kid Fairly well respected at Brighton. Seen as a 'top' Championship striker. Certainly better than anything we've got at the moment.

Would be interesting to see how Jon Dadi comes back after the World Cup
After being on the big stage i quite fancy he'll step up and give us a few extra goals this season, if nothing but to get a final chance with a lower Prem team
If we signed Baldock as well then along with McNulty it could be quite an interesting season (in a good way)

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 27 Jul 2018 12:44

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Old Man Andrews

Well yeah, long has spent the majority of his career as a premier league regular, baldock has spent his in league 1. That probably the difference between them.

Hatty9

by Hatty9 » 29 Jul 2018 14:48

I’m really struggling to get excited about this and to be honest I’m surprised at how many think he’s answer.

Yes stats don’t mean everything but when we need a goal scorer I would suggest the amount of goals he has scored should be a big factor.

Just talking league games as cups can be deceiving
33 goals in 100 games for MK Dons in div 1 and 2
34 goals in 83 games for Bristol C in div and championship
18 goals in 81 games for Brighton in championship (2 in prem)

So that’s playing at our current level or below and just about getting 1 goal every 3 games.
In fact just in the championship it’s 33 goals from 136 games

That’s also proven over several seasons with different clubs.

Why would we be any different?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2018 15:17

I’m completely the opposite

I’m surprised there has been so little enthusiasm fur a player who is so well thought of at Brighton

What other suggestions is there of players who would come to us and be genuinely affordable? We have one unproven lower league striker in McNulty. It’d be a big leap of faith to bring in 2

The only game I can remember watching him in was when he played very well against us in the 3-0 defeat

I think he’ll make a big difference for us. And happy to be reminded of that if he turns out rubbish

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Jul 2018 16:16

Hound What other suggestions is there of players who would come to us and be genuinely affordable?

I'd be hopeful Baldock would do ok. However, think I'd go for someone like Gary Madine over Baldock...

He'd cost more, but Madine is younger and 6'3, whereas Baldock is 5'7. We miss having a physical presence up front in this division, imo, playing against two big lumps at CB twice a week (Bod is 6'3 but doesn't play like it). Not sure Warnock needs Madine in PL (not sure he's a PL player anyway). Cardiff got him for 7mil, so you'd maybe be looking at about 5 or 6mil(?). If you then got Maddison for around 3mil, reckon that would be 8mil spent decently, and things would look different.

Anyway, it's all about opinions...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2018 16:31

Yeah Madine would be an ok shout

But definitely more expensive as you say

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jul 2018 16:40

Denver Royal
Hound What other suggestions is there of players who would come to us and be genuinely affordable?

I'd be hopeful Baldock would do ok. However, think I'd go for someone like Gary Madine over Baldock...

He'd cost more, but Madine is younger and 6'3, whereas Baldock is 5'7. We miss having a physical presence up front in this division, imo, playing against two big lumps at CB twice a week (Bod is 6'3 but doesn't play like it). Not sure Warnock needs Madine in PL (not sure he's a PL player anyway). Cardiff got him for 7mil, so you'd maybe be looking at about 5 or 6mil(?). If you then got Maddison for around 3mil, reckon that would be 8mil spent decently, and things would look different.

Yep would be happy with Madine and Maddison but it ain’t happening.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jul 2018 16:41

Apparently Maddison is off to Leeds anyway. Although they reckon they're signing everyone.

Hatty9

by Hatty9 » 29 Jul 2018 17:43

Hound I’m completely the opposite

I’m surprised there has been so little enthusiasm fur a player who is so well thought of at Brighton

What other suggestions is there of players who would come to us and be genuinely affordable? We have one unproven lower league striker in McNulty. It’d be a big leap of faith to bring in 2

The only game I can remember watching him in was when he played very well against us in the 3-0 defeat

I think he’ll make a big difference for us. And happy to be reminded of that if he turns out rubbish

Unfortunately you may right with who would come to us and affordable part.

That then means we are looking in the lower leagues or players who can’t get into top half championship teams or newly promoted premiership teams.

If as it looks that is where we are shopping then no one can be surprised if that is then where we find ourselves finishing.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 29 Jul 2018 19:14

Denver Royal

We had a physical presence in Meite yesterday.................... He was toilet!

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 29 Jul 2018 20:50

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Jul 2018 23:23

Zip
Denver Royal

Yeah, as I say, it wouldn’t have to be Madine, but someone like that. Just feel as a team, at this time, esp up front, we need to get bigger and more physical, given the div we’re in/who we play against.

Tbf, I don’t hear too many others banging on about that in here, so it may just be me. And so for that reason (and for others), it explains why I’m sitting here, while others are pulling down a hefty wedge at the club to call the shots. And so, welcome to our front line, 5’7 Sam Baldock:)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Jul 2018 23:31

Denver Royal
Zip
Denver Royal

Yeah, as I say, it wouldn’t have to be Madine, but someone like that. Just feel as a team, at this time, esp up front, we need to get bigger and more physical, given the div we’re in/who we play against.

Tbf, I don’t hear too many others banging on about that in here, so it may just be me. And so for that reason (and for others), it explains why I’m sitting here, while others are pulling down a hefty wedge at the club to call the shots. And so, welcome to our front line, 5’7 Sam Baldock:)

I`ll raise you Billy Sharpe Adam Le fonder and a Matej Vydra.

195 posts