CONFIMRED: Darren Sidoel

Gandalf Presley

Re: CONFIMRED: Darren Sidoel

by Gandalf Presley » 18 Jul 2018 10:32

Sidoel! Darren, don't hurt me, don't hurt me. No more...

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 18 Jul 2018 16:18

Some Ajax fans reckon he’s more of a centre back than a fullback as he’s limited technically. I have some good feelings with the signing, have to see how he does

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 18 Jul 2018 16:44

TiagoIlori Some Ajax fans reckon he’s more of a centre back than a fullback as he’s limited technically. I have some good feelings with the signing, have to see how he does

In fairness you apparently quite fancied Illori when you signed up here, so I'll be taking that optimism with a pinch of salt.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Jul 2018 13:03

Jagermesiter1871
TiagoIlori Some Ajax fans reckon he’s more of a centre back than a fullback as he’s limited technically. I have some good feelings with the signing, have to see how he does

In fairness you apparently quite fancied Illori when you signed up here, so I'll be taking that optimism with a pinch of salt.

Lol

yuomi

by yuomi » 19 Jul 2018 13:24

From JL's live Q&A:

Clement on Sidoel
ICYMI - here’s what Royals boss Paul Clement said about Sidoel’s signing yesterday:

“He was identified through Brian Tevreden.

“He’s a full-back, centre-back and possibly central midfielder so he’s a versatile player.

I look forward to seeing him and hopefully he’ll be pushing towards first team squad involvement along with all our U23 players”

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this our manager saying outright that this signing was imposed on him by the DoF and (presumably) owners?

Given Brian's previous form and Sidoel's injury record this does not bode well...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Jul 2018 13:31

yuomi From JL's live Q&A:

Clement on Sidoel
ICYMI - here’s what Royals boss Paul Clement said about Sidoel’s signing yesterday:

“He’s a full-back, centre-back and possibly central midfielder so he’s a versatile player.

I look forward to seeing him and hopefully he’ll be pushing towards first team squad involvement along with all our U23 players”

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this our manager saying outright that this signing was imposed on him by the DoF and (presumably) owners?

Given Brian's previous form and Sidoel's injury record this does not bode well...

The previous form that nearly got us promoted to the Premier League?

yuomi

by yuomi » 19 Jul 2018 13:32

Old Man Andrews

Clement on Sidoel

Before nearly getting us relegated to League 1, yes.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Jul 2018 13:34

yuomi
Old Man Andrews

Clement on Sidoel

Not sure he did that but you create your own narrative to suit its cool.

yuomi

by yuomi » 19 Jul 2018 13:37

Old Man Andrews
yuomi
Old Man Andrews

You don't think we nearly got relegated, or you don't think it had to do with players we did/didn't sign?

My point is, having a DoF/club impose singings on a manager is never a good look.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Jul 2018 13:50

yuomi
Old Man Andrews
yuomi

You don't think we nearly got relegated, or you don't think it had to do with players we did/didn't sign?

My point is, having a DoF/club impose singings on a manager is never a good look.

How imposing is it in reality though? It is a young kid from Ajax who was available on the cheap.

Brian: Hi Paul, would you like me to bring in an Ajax youth player for peanuts?

Paul Clement: Yes please.

It is a no brainer.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jul 2018 13:53

I seems we were watching him for some time, before Clement was even at the club so I don't see anything sinister in Clement's comments.

Do we reject all previous scouting work and start again just because we have a new first team manager?

For what it's worth, he's young, relatively cheap and potentially offers something different to what we have. I don't see the problem.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 19 Jul 2018 14:40

From Despair To Where? I seems we were watching him for some time, before Clement was even at the club so I don't see anything sinister in Clement's comments.

Do we reject all previous scouting work and start again just because we have a new first team manager?

For what it's worth, he's young, relatively cheap and potentially offers something different to what we have. I don't see the problem.

I wouldn't generally expect the first team manager to be involved in the signing of youth team players.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jul 2018 16:28

Well, that as well.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Jul 2018 15:28

yuomi Given Brian's previous form and Sidoel's injury record this does not bode well. My point is, having a DoF/club impose signings on a manager is never a good look.

Well, whether we like it or not, that pretty much seems to be how the club is currently structured? PC may have a say because he has some experience and has contacts, but still. And I'd be surprised if the previous manager had much say at all, because he was a young foreigner in his first job, so hardly the sort of manager you would give a lot of power to off the field. If BT isn't tasked with identifying players and signing them, what exactly is his role at the club?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 20 Jul 2018 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2018 15:30

he isnt a scout though

Assuming the job of negotiating contracts etc is a pretty big one in itself. Dealing with the agents etc as well. I doubt he has much more of a role identifying players for the team than PC does.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Jul 2018 15:42

Well yeah, we obviously have a team of scouts, too. Do all clubs have a DoF these days? Does their scope vary from club to club? For example, maybe Warnock at Cardiff has more of a say on incoming players than some other managers? I'm not entirely sure of the scope of BT's role here, (and whether that can change from manager to manager?), which is why I posed the question.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2018 15:52

not too sure either tbf. I very much doubt that manager's have anything to do with contracts nowadays. Gourlay seems to have a wider scope in terms of the overall running of the club, never been fully clear what BT's role is, but certainly bringing in players is a big part of that.

I just doubt he has that much to do with identifying them

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2018 17:09

He's clearly not been signed as a genuine first team squad member, so whilst I'd expect the manager to have been kept in the loop, I'd say the actual decision makers should be the DoF, Academy Manager and Chief Scout.

No big deal. The worry is if Clement says things like that about genuine first team signings. Even then I'd expect BT and the scouts to have led on identifying the player.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Jul 2018 17:33

I would be very surprised if a Director of Football didn't have input into scouting. As I see it, Clement manages the team, Gourlay manages business strategy and Tevreden manages football strategy outside of coaching.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 21 Jul 2018 09:16

Sounds like he'll be in the U23s. I reckon Clement has more important things to do than decide which youth player we take a punt on next. The only reason we've heard about this one is because the media intern got bored and decided to write about it