Palace(H) friendly Saturday July 28th

168 posts
The Cube

Re: Palace(H) friendly Saturday July 28th

by The Cube » 28 Jul 2018 23:19

I thought there were quite a few positives.

Mannone saved two on-target shots. OK, so I would have saved them as well, but he could easily have messed them up.
Aluko will surely never be allowed to take a corner again.
Gunter was hopeless for only 34 of the 90 minutes, which I think is a personal best.
O'Shea was nowhere to be seen at all.
We apparently managed to do some good business by shifting a poor player after he had been named on the bench.
McNulty had a spell of about 15 minutes without touching the ball, so will have quickly learned that he has to be sharp with the occasional chance that he might get.
Any watching opposition scouts will have learned absolutely nothing about how we intend to crack open their defences.
Overall, it was a massive improvement on the last home game, even though we lost both of them 0-4.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Jul 2018 23:55

The Cube I thought there were quite a few positives.

Mannone saved two on-target shots. OK, so I would have saved them as well, but he could easily have messed them up.
Aluko will surely never be allowed to take a corner again.
Gunter was hopeless for only 34 of the 90 minutes, which I think is a personal best.
O'Shea was nowhere to be seen at all.
We apparently managed to do some good business by shifting a poor player after he had been named on the bench.
McNulty had a spell of about 15 minutes without touching the ball, so will have quickly learned that he has to be sharp with the occasional chance that he might get.
Any watching opposition scouts will have learned absolutely nothing about how we intend to crack open their defences.
Overall, it was a massive improvement on the last home game, even though we lost both of them 0-4.

Jesus, we’re really fcuked aren’t we?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2018 08:10

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal Go into the season expecting a relegation fight.

Screw that. A few said Top 10. As genome says, a meltdown after a friendly?

Why on earth would anyone expect top ten. Talk about setting yourself up for disappointment.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jul 2018 08:33

WoodleyRoyal :| its a friendly

It’s the last game of preseason, the supposed showpiece. Time to show what’s been done, time to see the new shoots of hope.

And instead it was pathetic, inexcusable and the same old terribly depressing rubbish we got last season

8 goals shipped and none scored in the last two games at the Mad Stad, yes Palace are PL but to be 4 goals worse than an average (at best) PL side who are supposedly a week behind in their preseason just really isn’t acceptable.

And to top it all the only really saleable asset will be gone next week and in will come Sam Baldock which is really going to make all the difference to what looks like still being the same awful team and same awful ideas.

Fans are right to be concerned. And to be very concerned. You honestly think that it’ll all be different when there’s 3 points at stake based on that?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2018 09:55

I think it's pointless to expect this season to be anything other than difficult and painful no matter what.
I think it's poibtless to start panicking when we actually seem to be umplementing a sustainable and longer term plan to fix our problems.
I think it's stupid to worry about pre-season results.
I think it's pointless to start judging how we'll do before we've played 10 league games.
I think it's pointless to act like there's anything Reading can really do to sort out our problems in one summer.
I think it's pointless to judge Clement before he's had 20 games this season.

I think it's sad that we haven't even had one competitive game yet and already the board is awash with negativity, predictions of failure and the knives are being sharpened. This sort of reactionary short termism hasn't helped at any point in the last 10 years and it won't start helping now.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jul 2018 11:03

I am shocked by the negativity here.

I expected us to lose by at least 3 v Fulham (0-0), expected a big defeat by Beisktas (2-2) and another defeat by The Russians (0-0).
To get three draws from this games was very, VERY solid results-wise.

My personal prediction yesterday was "We'' scrape a 2-2 or be tonked 0-3"

I note that Palace's friendlies were 2-2 away, 6-1 away, 3-1 away, and this 4-0 (15-3) They ain't a bad side!

It wasn't as if Palace attacked in wave after wave and our keeper had to make ten saves, and they hit posts, bar, wasted loads of chances.

They were, relative to any side outside of the top 3 in the Championship, a clear class above, and there is no shame in that. They were particularly strong on both wings and Zaha is apparently, about to move for 50 Million.

Until the first goal, although Palace dominated the possession, I was pleased with how we looked across the back and Meyler looked to steady the midfield. I thought Kelly was almost back to his first-season next (loved that one dribble) and I wouldn't hesitate to play him v Derby.

Barrow was good first half and one burst of speed was ridiculously good. What we lacked though was the striker who can see where Barrow will put it. Meite looked not-good-enough (IM0). He worked hard, tried to close down, but his first touch was poor, and he didn't seem to have a great football brain. (Yes, I know it's only one game. I'm merely saying "in this game he".

The combo of Bod and McNulty when they came on, looked WAY better, movement, thinking, winning ball. If Smith was to stay I'd have Meite fourth choice.

Gunter was his usual crossing-lady in defence "this way luv" but did make one goal-saving interception. I thought Richards was very decent. Yiadom looks a very solid full back and the defence will be better for his presence. He wasn't always helped by Aluko and the wing play against him was good, rather than he bad. Did Kebe in his pomp beating full-backs for fun mean those FBs were bad players?

I'd put money of Yiadom becoming Mr Reliable this season and challenging for PotS

I thought Ilori had a decent game. Still think he will be a very good CB over the years

I was disappointed with Swift, but I was further disappointed when Clement came on (I'd heard he was playing well pre-season). There appears to be a problem of zip in midfield. Meyler will be the rock, Kelly will do his thing, but we need either some guile (Swift on form) or some drive like Williams was or Bacuna if he isn't already "finished" with RFC. Wing play is great, but we have to have a driving midfield threat too. Someone suggested Barrow. That might work if we play Popa and/or Harriot wide in his place (or Bod who has played wing a fair bit).

Aluko continues to frustrate. I think he needs dropping for as long as it takes to make him work harder for the team. ATM I would rather Harriot, Popa or Bod in his place. I think I'd rather Gunter, but having said that, I do believe there is a footballer in there somewhere.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 29 Jul 2018 11:08

Forest and Derby both managed to beat PL opposition, we on the other hand look a shambles.

Can't see anything to be optimistic about the season and in particular playing Derby on Friday. If TBM gets his finger out that has to be an AWAY NAP.

The optimist in me was hoping Clement would have a summer to sort out his team and tactics and move from the dirge survival mode football to something where he could impose his playing style and build something more entertaining. From that perspective the preseason has been a disaster, we already look dejected and beaten before the season starts, if he has tried any new tactics or formations it hasn't worked. We look as shit if not more so than we did at the end of last season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2018 11:25

Snowball I am shocked by the negativity here.

I expected us to lose by at least 3 v Fulham (0-0), expected a big defeat by Beisktas (2-2) and another defeat by The Russians (0-0).

I note that Palace's friendlies were 2-2 away, 6-1 away, 3-1 away, and this 4-0 (15-3) They ain't a bad side!

It wasn't as if Palace attacked in wave after wave and our keeper had to make ten saves, and they hit posts, bar, wasted loads of chances.

They were, relative to any side outside of the top 3 in the Championship, a clear class above, and there is no shame in that. They were particularly strong on both wings and Zaha is apparently, about to move for 50 Million.

Until the first goal, although Palace dominated the possession, I was pleased with how we looked across the back and Meyler looked to steady the midfield. I thought Kelly was almost back to his first-season next (loved that one dribble) and I wouldn't hesitate to play him v Derby.

Barrow was good first half and one burst of speed was ridiculously good. What we lacked though was the striker who can see where Barrow will put it. Meite looked not-good-enough (IM0). He worked hard, tried to close down, but his first touch was poor, and he didn't seem to have a great football brain. (Yes, I know it's only one game. I'm merely saying "in this game he".

The combo of Bod and McNulty when they came on, looked WAY better, movement, thinking, winning ball. If Smith was to stay I'd have Meite fourth choice.

Gunter was his usual crossing-lady in defence "this way luv" but did make one goal-saving interception. I thought Richards was very decent. Yiadom looks a very solid full back and the defence will be better for his presence. He wasn't always helped by Aluko and the wing play against him was good, rather than he bad. Did Kebe in his pomp beating full-backs for fun mean those FBs were bad players?

I'd put money of Yiadom becoming Mr Reliable this season and challenging for PotS

I thought Ilori had a decent game. Still think he will be a very good CB over the years

I was disappointed with Swift, but I was further disappointed when Clement came on (I'd heard he was playing well pre-season). There appears to be a problem of zip in midfield. Meyler will be the rock, Kelly will do his thing, but we need either some guile (Swift on form) or some drive like Williams was or Bacuna if he isn't already "finished" with RFC. Wing play is great, but we have to have a driving midfield threat too. Someone suggested Barrow. That might work if we play Popa and/or Harriot wide in his place (or Bod who has played wing a fair bit).

Aluko continues to frustrate. I think he needs dropping for as long as it takes to make him work harder for the team. ATM I would rather Harriot, Popa or Bod in his place. I think I'd rather Gunter, but having said that, I do believe there is a footballer in there somewhere.

I'd rather play Gunter RB, Blackett LB and Yiadom RW than have Aluko make another appearance personally. And I hate Gunter and Blackett as fullbacks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2018 11:30

I don’t like to scapegoat but I felt the first two goals were very largely due to Aluko’s ineptness as a wide midfielder. He really doesn’t work there

I’d much rather play a proper wide midfielder or hard working winger (McCleary, Harriott, Yiadom or even Clement) and f Aluko has to play, then as a 10 where Swift was

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Jul 2018 11:47

Hound I don’t like to scapegoat but I felt the first two goals were very largely due to Aluko’s ineptness as a wide midfielder. He really doesn’t work there

I’d much rather play a proper wide midfielder or hard working winger (McCleary, Harriott, Yiadom or even Clement) and f Aluko has to play, then as a 10 where Swift was

Good post. Agree 100%

Barrow also causes our left back similar challenges too. Think I’d go 3-5-2 for a while with Barrow as one of the two forwards.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2018 11:54

Obvs was way too late by then, but I thought the shape looked quite good when Blackett came on and we played 3 at the back with Yiadom and Richards wing backs (and Bod and McNulty as the front 2)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jul 2018 12:03

Snowflake Royal

I'd rather play Gunter RB, Blackett LB and Yiadom RW than have Aluko make another appearance personally. And I hate Gunter and Blackett as fullbacks.

I didn't REALLY mean I'd like to see Gunter RW, you know...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jul 2018 12:04

Hound Obvs was way too late by then, but I thought the shape looked quite good when Blackett came on and we played 3 at the back with Yiadom and Richards wing backs (and Bod and McNulty as the front 2)

agreed

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2018 12:09

Snowball
Snowflake Royal

I didn't REALLY mean I'd like to see Gunter RW, you know...

Ok, well I'm deadly serious.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 29 Jul 2018 12:14

Can anyone point me towards highlights of the game yesterday? I have a theory I'd like to check evidence of!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Jul 2018 13:14

PistolPete Can anyone point me towards highlights of the game yesterday? I have a theory I'd like to check evidence of!

The video replay of the game is on iFollow. Its the entire game, so not just the highlights, but you can skip to whichever parts of the game you want.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 29 Jul 2018 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 29 Jul 2018 13:16

Hatty9 My issue with today was how similar we still looked to last season.

Still messed around at the back
Still passed sideways too often
Still very slow in our passing
Still no second gear
Still no plan B

Any team playing against us will find it easy to defend as we play across in front of them a lot and don’t move the ball quickly enough to pull them out of shape.

Manonne doesn’t make the saves you expect him not to as in wouldn’t blame him directly for any goals today but another keeper might have stopped 2 of them.
Defence came up against a £50m player today which won’t happen in the league and will probably hold there own. Would still like to see the full backs attack more and add that bit extra we might need.
Midfield were too pedestrian Meyler and Swift both looked a second too slow and lost possession a lot because of it.
Attack was toothless I am not sure Aluko or Barrow got in behind once and Meite was no threat.

We need to spend all of the Moore money and I would like to see at least a striker, winger and centre back.

Same players
Same formation
Same result … quelle surprise!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Jul 2018 14:15

bobby1413 I still can not believe we sacked JS, only to bring in Clement. The football was the same after he took over and judging by today it's going to be the same for the new season.

I'm going to try to be hopeful, and I will support him and the team but I do feel very concerned about it all.

We all know what the championship is like. Fiercely competitive, some quality players, many could and will play in the PL, fast paced, aggressive and confident. I've very little faith that our team can stand up to majority of the league.

The likes of Swansea, West Brom, Derby, Leeds, Boro, Sheffields are going to absolutely destroy us.

Bobby mate, please let it go or it will trigger me off on another anti Clement rant. I've made no secret that I didn't want him at this club and he will take us backwards. The fact you mention Swansea makes it worse. Potter should have been our man.......All we have is the bloke that collected the cones for Ancelotti. Oh and built a team that got Swansea relegated eventually.
I know I'm harsh but this isn't the direction I wanted us to go....ie building for relegation battles in the future.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2018 15:17

RG7Fan
Hatty9 My issue with today was how similar we still looked to last season.

Still messed around at the back
Still passed sideways too often
Still very slow in our passing
Still no second gear
Still no plan B

Any team playing against us will find it easy to defend as we play across in front of them a lot and don’t move the ball quickly enough to pull them out of shape.

Manonne doesn’t make the saves you expect him not to as in wouldn’t blame him directly for any goals today but another keeper might have stopped 2 of them.
Defence came up against a £50m player today which won’t happen in the league and will probably hold there own. Would still like to see the full backs attack more and add that bit extra we might need.
Midfield were too pedestrian Meyler and Swift both looked a second too slow and lost possession a lot because of it.
Attack was toothless I am not sure Aluko or Barrow got in behind once and Meite was no threat.

We need to spend all of the Moore money and I would like to see at least a striker, winger and centre back.

Same players
Same formation
Same result … quelle surprise!

Didn't Meyler, Yiadom, Meite and McNulty all feature?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Jul 2018 15:24

CountryRoyal
genome
Barney
No. Folks are looking at...

1) Form over last 10 games of last season (take a look)
2) Where we have finished in 3 of the last 4 seasons.
3) The current batch of injuries.
4) The 'average' involvement in the transfer window
5) Potentially our best player about to leave
6) McShane off injured today.
7) A poor pre-season
8) The shocking performance at the last home game of last season

But hey....you crack on fella.

:lol:

In fairness genome, and I do say in fairness because I have grown to like you as a poster after our rocky start, but...

You do love to play the cool relaxed card at every available opportunity even dismissing some very viable concerns that exceed JUST one result or even several. You were one of the earlier ones to fully commit to Stam our iirc (started the poll etc). I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but just getting down people’s throats calling them dramatic etc all the time without thinking truly about where they’re coming from isn’t always fair.

Truth is RTG or STG it’s somewhere in between the extremism. I’m hardly calling for Clement’s resignation, but equally I think we will struggle profusely.

I really hope to god I’m proved wrong.

X

Fair points CR, my point in this particular case was the sudden outburst of drama and worry after a friendly result when I hadn’t seen much of the sort before the game, which led me to believe that people were overreacting because of the result itself.

I get frustrated because often posters on here are very reactionary and don’t really think about the whole picture before posting - often getting worried about stuff and criticising the club/team over stuff that hasn’t even happened yet. I’m not saying it’s wrong to have concerns, I do too, but I just think some need to relax a bit more. Football is entertainment, escapism, something you should enjoy.

Points taken on board though.

168 posts