Palace(H) friendly Saturday July 28th

168 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Palace(H) friendly Saturday July 28th

by genome » 30 Jul 2018 09:41

I'm going to betray the name of this website and go for a dark chocolate digestive.

under the tin

by under the tin » 30 Jul 2018 09:44

Theroyalbox
He was a good manager I thought, just a shame we got stuck in that rut with him, but I think he would've kept us up and I just can't warm to Clement or his side, where as I was a big fan of Stams

Double Jesus
Can someone please dig out THAT gif from the simpsons
Big fan of THAT?

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 30 Jul 2018 09:59

Old Man Andrews
genome No, Stam had to go - the team was on the slide and needed someone to come in and try things in a different way, grind out a couple of results and stay up. I think we would've gone down with Stam in charge.

As for hiring Clement, realistically who were we going to bring in at that stage? There was no chance of poaching a manager from another club at that stage of the season, so our market would've only been out-of-work managers who have been sacked elsewhere. But we had to do something, he achieved his goal of keeping us up.

Judging whether he is the right man for us starts after this Friday.

Fine post. Please help yourself to a biscuit.

I couldn't disagree more, he hasn't tried things in a different way. He ground out 3 results which I think we would've ground out anyway. He's been an absolute shambles so far, pretty sure we went down a couple of places under him? hardly an achievement. I would have a 10£ with anyone that he wont be manager at the end of the season.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 Jul 2018 10:01

genome No, Stam had to go - the team was on the slide and needed someone to come in and try things in a different way, grind out a couple of results and stay up. I think we would've gone down with Stam in charge.

As for hiring Clement, realistically who were we going to bring in at that stage? There was no chance of poaching a manager from another club at that stage of the season, so our market would've only been out-of-work managers who have been sacked elsewhere. But we had to do something, he achieved his goal of keeping us up.

I will be staggered if Clement lasts the season. I'm not sure who else could have replaced Stam - can one of the reserve managers step up, or the second-in-command?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jul 2018 10:01

Theroyalbox
Old Man Andrews

I couldn't disagree more, he hasn't tried things in a different way. He ground out 3 results which I think we would've ground out anyway. He's been an absolute shambles so far, pretty sure we went down a couple of places under him? hardly an achievement. I would have a 10£ with anyone that he wont be manager at the end of the season.

Comedy post.

No biscuits for you.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jul 2018 10:02

bobby1413

I will be staggered if Clement lasts the season. I'm not sure who else could have replaced Stam - can one of the reserve managers step up, or the second-in-command?

I think Clement will walk fairly early on. Naples will steadily become a more attractive destination if we struggle early on.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jul 2018 10:04

Theroyalbox
Old Man Andrews

Did you watch the QPR and Preston matches?! It was the antithesis of Stam's style of football (about 30% possession in both games). And it got us 6 points.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 Jul 2018 10:07

Surely though, we can continue to change managers and go through another 20. But if things are exactly the same behind the scenes we are screwed and the problems are going to continue.

I could put YOU in charge and you'd go in and not get the funding, or find a training field with 25 players, 5 of whom are continually injured, 5 of which aren't up to the right quality, the rest don't gel as there's missing key individuals.

You go to the board and tell them you're missing people and they say "we will give you £2m or you find them for free". You can't just magic up players. Also good players won't want to come to Reading if we're continually relegation candidates. Particularly if a club like Derby, West Brom, Hull or Norwich are there. I know where I'd rather go.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 30 Jul 2018 10:14

Snowflake Royal Not particularly. There's nothing wrong with what we've been trying to do other than we've failed to succeed.

Change that and we've basically got to start again and have wasted years with thr academy.

The definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Jul 2018 10:26

Snowball I am shocked by the negativity here.

I expected us to lose by at least 3 v Fulham (0-0), expected a big defeat by Beisktas (2-2) and another defeat by The Russians (0-0).
To get three draws from this games was very, VERY solid results-wise.

My personal prediction yesterday was "We'' scrape a 2-2 or be tonked 0-3"

I note that Palace's friendlies were 2-2 away, 6-1 away, 3-1 away, and this 4-0 (15-3) They ain't a bad side!

It wasn't as if Palace attacked in wave after wave and our keeper had to make ten saves, and they hit posts, bar, wasted loads of chances.

They were, relative to any side outside of the top 3 in the Championship, a clear class above, and there is no shame in that. They were particularly strong on both wings and Zaha is apparently, about to move for 50 Million.

Until the first goal, although Palace dominated the possession, I was pleased with how we looked across the back and Meyler looked to steady the midfield. I thought Kelly was almost back to his first-season next (loved that one dribble) and I wouldn't hesitate to play him v Derby.

Barrow was good first half and one burst of speed was ridiculously good. What we lacked though was the striker who can see where Barrow will put it. Meite looked not-good-enough (IM0). He worked hard, tried to close down, but his first touch was poor, and he didn't seem to have a great football brain. (Yes, I know it's only one game. I'm merely saying "in this game he".

The combo of Bod and McNulty when they came on, looked WAY better, movement, thinking, winning ball. If Smith was to stay I'd have Meite fourth choice.

Gunter was his usual crossing-lady in defence "this way luv" but did make one goal-saving interception. I thought Richards was very decent. Yiadom looks a very solid full back and the defence will be better for his presence. He wasn't always helped by Aluko and the wing play against him was good, rather than he bad. Did Kebe in his pomp beating full-backs for fun mean those FBs were bad players?

I'd put money of Yiadom becoming Mr Reliable this season and challenging for PotS

I thought Ilori had a decent game. Still think he will be a very good CB over the years

I was disappointed with Swift, but I was further disappointed when Clement came on (I'd heard he was playing well pre-season). There appears to be a problem of zip in midfield. Meyler will be the rock, Kelly will do his thing, but we need either some guile (Swift on form) or some drive like Williams was or Bacuna if he isn't already "finished" with RFC. Wing play is great, but we have to have a driving midfield threat too. Someone suggested Barrow. That might work if we play Popa and/or Harriot wide in his place (or Bod who has played wing a fair bit).

Aluko continues to frustrate. I think he needs dropping for as long as it takes to make him work harder for the team. ATM I would rather Harriot, Popa or Bod in his place. I think I'd rather Gunter, but having said that, I do believe there is a footballer in there somewhere.

Just for the record, wasn't their 3-1 win against the mighty Oxford?
Whatever spin you want to put on it, our first team lost 4-0 at home to a side that only beat Oxford 3-1 which is not how we want to be going into a new season in 4 days' time, i.e. still struggling to either score goals or stop them.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 30 Jul 2018 10:34

genome
Theroyalbox
Old Man Andrews

Did you watch the QPR and Preston matches?! It was the antithesis of Stam's style of football (about 30% possession in both games). And it got us 6 points.

I did and we were shite, can't remember 100% but didn't Stam also cut down the possession in his last few games?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jul 2018 10:36

Theroyalbox
genome
Theroyalbox

I did and we were shite, can't remember 100% but didn't Stam also cut down the possession in his last few games?

We were shite and still got 6 points. Under Stam we would have been shit and got no points and then relegated.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 30 Jul 2018 10:37

Old Man Andrews
Theroyalbox
genome

We were shite and still got 6 points. Under Stam we would have been shit and got no points and then relegated.

Good away days in league 1??

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jul 2018 10:42

Theroyalbox
genome
Theroyalbox

It doesn't matter if we were shite - results are what we needed. As for possession, no not really. In his last 5 games, we were about even with Leeds and Bolton, had more of the ball against Norwich and Sheff United, but less of the ball against Wolves (which is to be expected with the players they had).

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Jul 2018 10:57

From memory W2 D2 L2 for the last six games of 2017-18, 8 points from 6 games
and one of those draws away to Cardiff who got automatic promotion.

W2 D2 L2 equates to a 61 point season, 12th last year

Considering how bad it was going into those six games, that is a miracle

Hitchytwo

by Hitchytwo » 30 Jul 2018 11:17

Victor Meldrew
Snowball I am shocked by the negativity here.

I expected us to lose by at least 3 v Fulham (0-0), expected a big defeat by Beisktas (2-2) and another defeat by The Russians (0-0).
To get three draws from this games was very, VERY solid results-wise.

My personal prediction yesterday was "We'' scrape a 2-2 or be tonked 0-3"

I note that Palace's friendlies were 2-2 away, 6-1 away, 3-1 away, and this 4-0 (15-3) They ain't a bad side!

It wasn't as if Palace attacked in wave after wave and our keeper had to make ten saves, and they hit posts, bar, wasted loads of chances.

They were, relative to any side outside of the top 3 in the Championship, a clear class above, and there is no shame in that. They were particularly strong on both wings and Zaha is apparently, about to move for 50 Million.

Until the first goal, although Palace dominated the possession, I was pleased with how we looked across the back and Meyler looked to steady the midfield. I thought Kelly was almost back to his first-season next (loved that one dribble) and I wouldn't hesitate to play him v Derby.

Barrow was good first half and one burst of speed was ridiculously good. What we lacked though was the striker who can see where Barrow will put it. Meite looked not-good-enough (IM0). He worked hard, tried to close down, but his first touch was poor, and he didn't seem to have a great football brain. (Yes, I know it's only one game. I'm merely saying "in this game he".

The combo of Bod and McNulty when they came on, looked WAY better, movement, thinking, winning ball. If Smith was to stay I'd have Meite fourth choice.

Gunter was his usual crossing-lady in defence "this way luv" but did make one goal-saving interception. I thought Richards was very decent. Yiadom looks a very solid full back and the defence will be better for his presence. He wasn't always helped by Aluko and the wing play against him was good, rather than he bad. Did Kebe in his pomp beating full-backs for fun mean those FBs were bad players?

I'd put money of Yiadom becoming Mr Reliable this season and challenging for PotS

I thought Ilori had a decent game. Still think he will be a very good CB over the years

I was disappointed with Swift, but I was further disappointed when Clement came on (I'd heard he was playing well pre-season). There appears to be a problem of zip in midfield. Meyler will be the rock, Kelly will do his thing, but we need either some guile (Swift on form) or some drive like Williams was or Bacuna if he isn't already "finished" with RFC. Wing play is great, but we have to have a driving midfield threat too. Someone suggested Barrow. That might work if we play Popa and/or Harriot wide in his place (or Bod who has played wing a fair bit).

Aluko continues to frustrate. I think he needs dropping for as long as it takes to make him work harder for the team. ATM I would rather Harriot, Popa or Bod in his place. I think I'd rather Gunter, but having said that, I do believe there is a footballer in there somewhere.

Just for the record, wasn't their 3-1 win against the mighty Oxford?
Whatever spin you want to put on it, our first team lost 4-0 at home to a side that only beat Oxford 3-1 which is not how we want to be going into a new season in 4 days' time, i.e. still struggling to either score goals or stop them.

Palace have had time now to get there system worked into the team. Reading have a new set of players and a new system to learn.
I do agree though, I cant see where the goals are going to come from. Knowing Readings luck with transfers of the past few years, If we sign Baldock he will play 20 mins then get a injury and be out for the rest of the season.

Ive really got that sinking feeling with Reading ATM. We really need a new striker, Attacking Midfeilder and centerback (when Moore leaves). All of which need to be quality. If we are going to at least try and get mid-table.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 30 Jul 2018 11:24

Snowball From memory W2 D2 L2 for the last six games of 2017-18, 8 points from 6 games

Our actual last 6 results:

Reading 1-0 Preston
Fulham 1-0 Reading
Reading 2-2 Sunderland
Sheff Weds 3-0 Reading
Reading 0-4 Ipswich
Reading 0-0 Cardiff

5 points from 6 - the equivalent of a 38 point season and not much better than we already were doing, being generous and including his first 2 games as well takes it to 8 points from 8, a 46 point season and finishing one spot higher than we did (on GD).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2018 12:39

RG7Fan
Snowflake Royal Not particularly. There's nothing wrong with what we've been trying to do other than we've failed to succeed.

Change that and we've basically got to start again and have wasted years with thr academy.

The definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Different coaches, different, players, different managers, different variations.

I can also spout meaningless cliches

If at first you don't succeed, try try again.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

It's easy this isn't it. Requires zero thought too.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jul 2018 13:14

Sooooo many academy players have come through to play regularly since we initially implemented this style when Adkins came in that we haven't wasted time at all. This style is outdated, teams adapted to it long ago whilst we're still clumsily trying to implement it five years after we first tried when the Russian sacked McDermott.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Jul 2018 13:27

Readingfanman
Snowball From memory W2 D2 L2 for the last six games of 2017-18, 8 points from 6 games

Our actual last 6 results:

Reading 1-0 Preston
Fulham 1-0 Reading
Reading 2-2 Sunderland
Sheff Weds 3-0 Reading
Reading 0-4 Ipswich
Reading 0-0 Cardiff

5 points from 6 - the equivalent of a 38 point season and not much better than we already were doing, being generous and including his first 2 games as well takes it to 8 points from 8, a 46 point season and finishing one spot higher than we did (on GD).

My bad. I thought Clement had only managed for 6 games and I knew
we'd won two. I misread the Fulham result.

Of course we beat QPR in the previous game, so 8 points from 7 games! "=" 52/53 post season 17/18th. 8 or 9 places above where we finished

168 posts