Relegation

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Relegation

by Hound » 30 Jul 2018 09:10

I think PC has put together a team which can at least grind out results this year. Its vital we stop conceding silly goals though, which is why Moore's replacement is pretty crucial, as McShane just seems to make so many misjudgements or moments of lost concentration. I like Ilori and Yiadom a lot from what I've seen, and controversially, I think Blackett can do a job at LB

I can see the likes of Baldock and McNulty just giving that extra bit of sharpness up front, and from what I hear Baldock's movement is one of his key assets. We need to be good enough to find him of course

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jul 2018 09:12

As discussed elsewhere there is no danger of relegation thanks to the Wigan, Rotherham and Bolton rule. We will just flounder around lower mid-table all season and do absolutely nothing of note. Would love a bit of a cup run though.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jul 2018 09:49

I won't be disappointed if this is just a "steady the ship" season - look a bit more solid physically and mentally, win enough games to keep us out of trouble and build a foundation for the season after.

I think Clement's signings have been fairly deliberate, adding characters to the squad and trying to repair some of the team spirit which looked absolutely shot pretty much all last season. It would be nice to add some flair before the end of the window but I think we already have a fair amount of that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2018 17:41

Hound I think PC has put together a team which can at least grind out results this year. Its vital we stop conceding silly goals though, which is why Moore's replacement is pretty crucial, as McShane just seems to make so many misjudgements or moments of lost concentration. I like Ilori and Yiadom a lot from what I've seen, and controversially, I think Blackett can do a job at LB

I can see the likes of Baldock and McNulty just giving that extra bit of sharpness up front, and from what I hear Baldock's movement is one of his key assets. We need to be good enough to find him of course

In fairness Blackett was pretty good those first few games last season. His head just went when ge made a few mistakes, results went south and people got on his back.

I'm just not sure it's recoverable for him. If we play better as a team and there's movement he could be decent there. It's when he's got no options and he dithers on it trying to turn people and roll his foot over the ball it all goes wrong.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Jul 2018 07:41

Bolton, Rotherham and Reading seem to be many people’s favourites for the drop this season and to be honest that would appear to be the most logical set of 3. But as we know football is a funny old game and there will be one or two serious under performers in the division which at least is a bracket Reading can’t be included in. Bound also to be a serious overperformer so there’s always hope.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jul 2018 08:29

Sutekh Bolton, Rotherham and Reading seem to be many people’s favourites for the drop this season and to be honest that would appear to be the most logical set of 3. But as we know football is a funny old game and there will be one or two serious under performers in the division which at least is a bracket Reading can’t be included in. Bound also to be a serious overperformer so there’s always hope.

I'm surprised Brum are't expected to struggle more, they have essentially been under a transfer embargo all summer and have signed one player, and it isn't even clear he has been allowed to be registered.

Some rumours going around that Monk may walk as he is fed up with it all too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 08:57

yep Brum are a good shout

I really do think with us its a case of a couple of wins on the trot and we could end up being a half decent team. The hard bit is getting those wins

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 31 Jul 2018 09:03

Hound I think PC has put together a team which can at least grind out results this year. Its vital we stop conceding silly goals though, which is why Moore's replacement is pretty crucial, as McShane just seems to make so many misjudgements or moments of lost concentration. I like Ilori and Yiadom a lot from what I've seen, and controversially, I think Blackett can do a job at LB

I'm not sure if anyone has posted the below video before - but it doesn't instill much confidence in me that McNulty can perform at our level . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ct8jdUpJY

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 09:14

Elm Park Kid

I'm not sure if anyone has posted the below video before - but it doesn't instill much confidence in me that McNulty can perform at our level . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ct8jdUpJY

why?

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 31 Jul 2018 09:19

Stranded
Sutekh Bolton, Rotherham and Reading seem to be many people’s favourites for the drop this season and to be honest that would appear to be the most logical set of 3. But as we know football is a funny old game and there will be one or two serious under performers in the division which at least is a bracket Reading can’t be included in. Bound also to be a serious overperformer so there’s always hope.

I'm surprised Brum are't expected to struggle more, they have essentially been under a transfer embargo all summer and have signed one player, and it isn't even clear he has been allowed to be registered.

Some rumours going around that Monk may walk as he is fed up with it all too.

Wednesday are embargoed too I believe, and their pre-season results rival ours.

There are plenty of shit teams this year. We'll be fine. Boring, but fine.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Jul 2018 10:21

You can add QPR to the omnishambles pile

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jul 2018 10:24

genome You can add QPR to the omnishambles pile

They also have the added bonus of having Steve McLaren at the helm for the double whammy of complete and utter shite. Hilarious, I love laughing at QPR.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 11:15

I don't understand QPR really. They brought in Holloway to steady the ship in their financial meltdown and bring in young players, which is exactly what they did. They were comfortably safe and playing some good football.

Wasn't following them closely but couldn't understand what more Holloway could have done in the circumstances.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 01 Aug 2018 20:06

Hound I don't understand QPR really. They brought in Holloway to steady the ship in their financial meltdown and bring in young players, which is exactly what they did. They were comfortably safe and playing some good football.

Wasn't following them closely but couldn't understand what more Holloway could have done in the circumstances.

Well they didn't see that 20 mill fine coming last Monday. They may ask for the fine to be reduced and a points deduction instead.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Aug 2018 14:46

I don't understand QPR really.

yep, me neither

what is the point of them?