Negativity - Roll on 2018/19

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Negativity - Roll on 2018/19

by royalp-we » 29 Jul 2018 21:24

I'm really struggling to think of a time where there's been such disconnect between the team and our fans. Well, for me anyway.

I haven't even been sent a letter of acknowledgment for renewing my ST; I phoned the club and they simply said 'Yeah it's done'. That may not annoy some people; but with 5 days until kick off and the fact we haven't seen a win since April? They could, and should be trying to build bridges with the fans after the mess that last season was.

I've no doubt we will get a couple more in before deadline (Baldock is close, maybe one loan when Moore goes) but if we get off to a bad start; I really do think the Madejski will turn in to protest week in week out due to the missing owners and lack of communication from the top.

Yes, it's too early to call. But I'm already looking in to a 'Gourlay - you've let us down' banner. In June he point blank said we would be challenging this season. The manager (which Gourlay chose), coaches, fans are not responsible should he fail in what he has tasked himself to deliver with this club. He will need to take responsibility if things turn sour again. Has hasn't even managed to get some coin for the stadium name yet; which he said he was working on last year.

Sunday night venting. I hope I'm wrong and we get off to a good start. Just a bit pissed off I didn't get my letter :lol:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Negativity - Roll on 2018/19

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jul 2018 21:42

I don’t see mass protests or vehement displays of discontent. It’s just not within the demographic of most Reading fans. I think far more likely is a gradual continuation of reduction in attendance as we meander through the season with mediocre performance after mediocre performance.

This club needs a kick up the arse on and off the pitch and I honestly thought that barely surviving relegation on the final day of the season with a points tally which otherwise almost certainly seen us gone down, would have proved enough of a wake up call but thus far that hasn’t seemed to have transpired.

I’ll wait until at least a quarter of the season before I really cement my views but such is the negativity around the place at the moment it really feels like we’re sleep walking to League One.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Jul 2018 21:49

Only 46 games to go. you lot will be suicidal by Christmas.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jul 2018 23:32

The club don't need to acknowledge you because you renewed your season ticket. You've made that choice and they have your money which is all it is about. They are just a business. If you want to make a stand then get a refund and don't go anymore. They couldn't give a oxf*rd about you, the sooner you stop worrying about that the better. The days of community spirit and a special connection between clubs and supporters is dead at our level.

Our supporters are never going to protest, the apathy is there for all to see. The club and the majority of the supporters will pay no attention to your ridiculous one man protest with an anti Gourlay banner. If you go to these silly lengths I hope the club chuck you out.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jul 2018 06:56

You’re annoyed? Yet again the BBC haven’t written and thanked me for renewing my TV licence.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Jul 2018 07:49

Old Man Andrews The club don't need to acknowledge you because you renewed your season ticket. You've made that choice and they have your money which is all it is about. They are just a business.

And that is complete contradictory. Any decent business acknowledges and thanks you for your business.

Professional football (not just Reading) wants things both ways - to be a 'business' yet receive a quasi charitable support from its customers.

When Reading FC's customers stop frequenting the business because of the crap product, the first thing that 'business' will do is plead for loyalty and ask its customers to persevere with the crap product offering. Likewise, no doubt, some of those who currently claim that Reading FC is 'just a business'. Such is the bizarre hybrid model of professional football, certainly in England.

Sutekh You’re annoyed? Yet again the BBC haven’t written and thanked me for renewing my TV licence.

I suspect that is untrue. If you gave an email address you get a acknowledgement/thanks. If still requesting a paper licence you get that sent with thanks. Seems likely yours went missing somewhere.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jul 2018 08:10

RoyalBlue
Old Man Andrews The club don't need to acknowledge you because you renewed your season ticket. You've made that choice and they have your money which is all it is about. They are just a business.

And that is complete contradictory. Any decent business acknowledges and thanks you for your business.

Professional football (not just Reading) wants things both ways - to be a 'business' yet receive a quasi charitable support from its customers.

When Reading FC's customers stop frequenting the business because of the crap product, the first thing that 'business' will do is plead for loyalty and ask its customers to persevere with the crap product offering. Likewise, no doubt, some of those who currently claim that Reading FC is 'just a business'. Such is the bizarre hybrid model of professional football, certainly in England.

Sutekh You’re annoyed? Yet again the BBC haven’t written and thanked me for renewing my TV licence.

I suspect that is untrue. If you gave an email address you get a acknowledgement/thanks. If still requesting a paper licence you get that sent with thanks. Seems likely yours went missing somewhere.

What gave you the impression Reading FC are a "decent business"? They have taken the supporters for granted in the last 5 years especially, crying about not getting a letter of thanks is bizarre behaviour.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 Jul 2018 08:17

Old Man Andrews crying about not getting a letter of thanks is bizarre behaviour.

I think it's probably more of an indication and one tiny thing which is causing a disconnect.

Eg I'm sure if the club did send out a "thank you so much for your custom" it wouldn't solve the main issue.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 Jul 2018 08:19

CountryRoyal it really feels like we’re sleep walking to League One.

This is bang on I think. Sleep walking perfectly sums it up. I think it's been 3-4 seasons of sleep walking.

To the point that we will wake up next year in league one and the board and club wondering how it happened.

A gradual decline or attendances, of performances, investment, etc...

I half think that things aren't as bad as people make out. If we win a few games and can stay around mid table then there may be some momentum and positivity that comes back in.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Jul 2018 08:27

bobby1413
CountryRoyal it really feels like we’re sleep walking to League One.

This is bang on I think. Sleep walking perfectly sums it up. I think it's been 3-4 seasons of sleep walking.

To the point that we will wake up next year in league one and the board and club wondering how it happened.

A gradual decline or attendances, of performances, investment, etc...

I half think that things aren't as bad as people make out. If we win a few games and can stay around mid table then there may be some momentum and positivity that comes back in.

So what do you think

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 Jul 2018 08:32

leon So what do you think

I have almost no confidence in Clement and wasn't that keen when he was announced. This Baldock guy and 1-2 of the other new signings may help, but I think we're in for another poor season of bad results and negative football.

I don't think we will get relegated, but I do think we will finish around 18th and it will be a season of inconsistency and lots of losses.

I'll go to all the games I can and will support Clement and all the players, but I'm not too confident as stated

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Jul 2018 09:53

bobby1413
leon So what do you think

I have almost no confidence in Clement and wasn't that keen when he was announced. This Baldock guy and 1-2 of the other new signings may help, but I think we're in for another poor season of bad results and negative football.

I don't think we will get relegated, but I do think we will finish around 18th and it will be a season of inconsistency and lots of losses.

I'll go to all the games I can and will support Clement and all the players, but I'm not too confident as stated

This basically, Bobster. I hope we are totally wrong.

Where we might be, is that Clement toughens the team up - some leaders have been brought in. Missing badly last season.

More resilience, focus and personal responsibility and we could be ok.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Jul 2018 09:56

I'm not feeling as negative as others but then I did get an acknowledgment email from the club thanking me for renewing my ST and saying they were looking forward to me coming along this year. Obviously I can see why the OP would be so upset at not having received such a message though and frankly heads should roll somewhere

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jul 2018 09:57

^ Yeah, that (leon). Our mental strength was embarrassing last season, I think the new signings address that (hopefully).

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a team react so poorly to a Playoff final defeat. Didn't Stam say that in an interview recently?

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1