MATCHWATCH : Derby County (h) sponsored by a new hope

266 posts
marlowuk

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (h) sponsored by a new hope

by marlowuk » 04 Aug 2018 00:54

FiNeRaIn
AthleticoSpizz Lol yeah ....but you’re missing the point

No I get it. You hate him and the images of him celebrating along with the garbage pre-made headlines makes it even worse. I don't dislike Lampard though and it wasn't like he was giving it the big one. He looked pretty calm and respectful throughout the game. Yes, its annoying they were second best all night and the media will portray some sort of fairy tale start to his career when it was undeserved, but that's the fault of one man alone, our goalkeeper.

"Make no mistake, we didn't deserve to win the game, and there are lots of big things for us to improve on, ........"
The above is a quote from Frank Lampard after the match. Even he didn't think Derby should have won and was man enough to admit it

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Aug 2018 01:00

AthleticoSpizz It’s not the Reading defeat that bothers me......it’s the presses pin-up boy Lampards victory that does.

Could care less re. press. Amazed at who do. Press is press. Tune out, switch off, is what it is. Radio Berks same tonite, hardly mentioned Clement. Lamps was gonna get it (same Gerrard), sells stories, won’t change. Reading defeat way more important (to me).

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 04 Aug 2018 06:26

Only watched on TV, but unless McShane was carrying an injury any striker with even moderate pace will be licking his lips at the prospect of facing him.

Surprised their keeper was allowed to wear a shirt so like the team's, or did it look better if you were actually there?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 04 Aug 2018 07:39

The love-in for Lampard was irritating but tbf to the man himself he acknowledged in his post match interview that Derby didn’t deserve to win and behaved respectfully otherwise.

Diablo Diablo

by Diablo Diablo » 04 Aug 2018 08:04

So is Stam working as a tactics consultant at Derby ? First half showed how pointless possession can be and they created nothing playing just like we have for the last 2 seasons boring the fans to death and lucky not to be behind.

We should have killed the game in the first half as we created plenty of chances (especially compared to last year).

Gutted we missed out on a point but what a howler from Mannone - thought he should have saved the Nugent offside goal as well which sadly was indicative of what was to come.....

Feel more positive than for a while but clearly going to be a long season fighting in the bottom half as we have for most of the last few seasons.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 04 Aug 2018 08:16

I am generally an optimist, but I’m surprised to see so much positivity about last night and I can’t relate to it.

To me, all last night showed was that we have got into the habit of losing matches, and it is very worrying. Agreed, we played well until we scored the scored the goal, but the collapse was more worrying than the first 50 minutes was reassuring. We seem to be lacking in creativity again, and a goalkeeper who is hardly instilling confidence in any of us. We couldn’t make a pass stick, and let an average Derby performance take all the spoils.

Good luck to Clement in turning this around, because we have simply become a team that are used to losing, and it’s a very tricky spiral to get out of.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 04 Aug 2018 08:32

WAZZOCK I am generally an optimist, but I’m surprised to see so much positivity about last night and I can’t relate to it.

To me, all last night showed was that we have got into the habit of losing matches, and it is very worrying. Agreed, we played well until we scored the scored the goal, but the collapse was more worrying than the first 50 minutes was reassuring. We seem to be lacking in creativity again, and a goalkeeper who is hardly instilling confidence in any of us. We couldn’t make a pass stick, and let an average Derby performance take all the spoils.

Good luck to Clement in turning this around, because we have simply become a team that are used to losing, and it’s a very tricky spiral to get out of.

I'm a pessimistic/realistic fan in general - but there were elements of Reading's performance last night that surprised me. I think we the awfulness of last season we forget that we do have a few decent players. Our defence is poor in general, but if Obita is coming back soon he will add to it. Bod can't play as a lone striker, but we need to give Baldock a chance.

I still think that we need a Danny Williams type player. I don't think Aluko is ever going to do anything and I would like to see him dropped. Is there any news on whether McCleary is going to come back? The goal keeper is clearly an issue.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2018 08:40

Missed the first 35 minutes but here's my thoughts.

Mannone 5 at fault for the first goal, he's just a bit average.
Yiadom 6 lots of promise there but ran in to challenges too often and that shot was stupid. Better than Gunter
Richards 6 weak and got bullied off the ball a few times same as last year, but solid enough
McShane 7 actually thought he had a good game, though was on the edge of disaster a few times.
Ilori 8 looked completely comfortable
Meyler 8 got stuck in, kept everything simple. Like him
Kelly 7 put himself about loads, some wayward attacking balls on the wrong wave length but good
Swift 7 looked fitter and more dangerous than last season
Bodvarsson 7 scored and did some good hold up
Aluko 6 basically the same shit as last year, with the difference that when he turned infield into trouble the ball broke for him from the challenge better than what he'd tried to do would have worked at least half a dozen times rather than losing it to set up an attack
Barrow 8 looked to work harder defensively, peach of a cross and scared the defence.

Baldock 5 worked hard but didn't seem in tune
Meite 6 he's a unit. Looks to have good hold up a few tricks, will occupy defenders
Bacuna 6 didn't really see a lot from him

Clrment 8 much less fart arsing, much more organised, still a bit toothless, but we're still trying to play and positive subs.

Unlucky not to get something, lets not make another habit of that.

Huckleberry Hound

by Huckleberry Hound » 04 Aug 2018 08:59

Snowflake Royal Missed the first 35 minutes but here's my thoughts.

Mannone 5 at fault for the first goal, he's just a bit average.
Yiadom 6 lots of promise there but ran in to challenges too often and that shot was stupid. Better than Gunter
Richards 6 weak and got bullied off the ball a few times same as last year, but solid enough
McShane 7 actually thought he had a good game, though was on the edge of disaster a few times.
Ilori 8 looked completely comfortable
Meyler 8 got stuck in, kept everything simple. Like him
Kelly 7 put himself about loads, some wayward attacking balls on the wrong wave length but good
Swift 7 looked fitter and more dangerous than last season
Bodvarsson 7 scored and did some good hold up
Aluko 6 basically the same shit as last year, with the difference that when he turned infield into trouble the ball broke for him from the challenge better than what he'd tried to do would have worked at least half a dozen times rather than losing it to set up an attack
Barrow 8 looked to work harder defensively, peach of a cross and scared the defence.

Baldock 5 worked hard but didn't seem in tune
Meite 6 he's a unit. Looks to have good hold up a few tricks, will occupy defenders
Bacuna 6 didn't really see a lot from him

Clrment 8 much less fart arsing, much more organised, still a bit toothless, but we're still trying to play and positive subs.

Unlucky not to get something, lets not make another habit of that.

If you missed the first 35 minutes then you missed Aluko being taken out at least three times, while the ref was still keeping his cards in his pocket.

The opposition obviously rate him, even if we don't.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Aug 2018 09:05

What a shame! We deserved at least a draw our of that. Thought the players put in a real shift, far better than any point last season.

Sky got what they wanted in the end though eh.

under the tin

by under the tin » 04 Aug 2018 09:19

First Half, Derby were just like us last season. 200000 passes, no progression and unable to cope with Reading pressing.
With a confident, up to speed striker, we could and should have been 1 or 2 up by half time.
Second half we didn't keep the pressing up as much, and despite going ahead, allowed Derby more time and space on the ball.

Bod on his own up front isn't going to work.
The relief ball out when our defence is under the cosh just doesn't stick with him there.
Aluko reminds me of some of the lads back in the old school playground. The ones who want to dribble the ball past everyone,
with little concept of it being a team game.
Meyler looks all right
Yiadom is an upgrade on Gunter
I think Richards did well. We have a player there.
McShane got a fair few important "foot ins"
Iiori did well
Mannone Oh Deary me

Credit to Lampard for admitting it was a jammy win, but the reason we lost is totally down to the lack of lethal firepower up top.
Hopefully, the new arrivals can change that.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 04 Aug 2018 09:39

under the tin First Half, Derby were just like us last season. 200000 passes, no progression and unable to cope with Reading pressing.
With a confident, up to speed striker, we could and should have been 1 or 2 up by half time.
Second half we didn't keep the pressing up as much, and despite going ahead, allowed Derby more time and space on the ball.

Bod on his own up front isn't going to work.
The relief ball out when our defence is under the cosh just doesn't stick with him there.
Aluko reminds me of some of the lads back in the old school playground. The ones who want to dribble the ball past everyone,
with little concept of it being a team game.
Meyler looks all right
Yiadom is an upgrade on Gunter
I think Richards did well. We have a player there.
McShane got a fair few important "foot ins"
Iiori did well
Mannone Oh Deary me

Credit to Lampard for admitting it was a jammy win, but the reason we lost is totally down to the lack of lethal firepower up top.
Hopefully, the new arrivals can change that.

Agree with all of that but I though Meyler was really good. Confident, strong and no panic. Think he might be one of our best acquisitions. Bod apart from his goal (which admittedly was good) was pretty poor. Yes he ran around a lot but he rarely wins headers, his ball control is poor and he's not that strong. Swift was disappointing I thought.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 04 Aug 2018 09:41

Elm Park Kid
WAZZOCK I am generally an optimist, but I’m surprised to see so much positivity about last night and I can’t relate to it.

I'm a pessimistic/realistic fan in general - but there were elements of Reading's performance last night that surprised me. I think we the awfulness of last season we forget that we do have a few decent players. Our defence is poor in general, but if Obita is coming back soon he will add to it. Bod can't play as a lone striker, but we need to give Baldock a chance.

I still think that we need a Danny Williams type player. I don't think Aluko is ever going to do anything and I would like to see him dropped. Is there any news on whether McCleary is going to come back? The goal keeper is clearly an issue.

Though Aluko was very good apart from fading in last 20 mins

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 04 Aug 2018 09:44

Swift and Kelly are total marmite. Some love ‘em, others hate them.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Aug 2018 09:50

One game, so many opinions

Bod worked hard, but his first touch is dire. Good goal, but should have done better with opportunities in the first half
Swift - OK. Looked a bit lethargic actually which is worrying so early in the season

Kelly and Meyler. I like Meyler a lot, much better than Joey in that space. That freed up Kelly a bit more. As a pairing I thought it worked pretty well.

Aluko - I hate him so much I don't think it's in me to be fair, so won't comment.
Barrow - great performance, didn't deserve to be on the losing side.

Yiadom - good going forward, left lots of holes defensively, could have done better for the Lawrence goal?
Richards - ok first half, but struggled second half. They seemed to be targetting him and McShane - could probably see that side as a weak link.

McShane - bit shaky but got away with it in general.
Ilori - not too bad. keeping it simple suits him.

Mannone - grim.

Subs: - all a bit ineffectual - Meite and Baldock need more time with the side I think - just not really on the same wavelength. Meite looks like a unit. Bacuna did nothing, I wonder if Meyler was taken off because of the risk of getting a second yellow - that was a definite downgrade.

Overall - pleased with the first half performance particularly. Not so happy with the way we played after getting the goal. I wonder if the fall-off in pressing was due to tiredness as much as trying to defend a point? If so, hopefully that will improve during the season.

MOTM - Barrow, with Meyler a close second.

BTW, anybody know how much that lad Lawrence would cost? Asking for a friend...
Last edited by muirinho on 04 Aug 2018 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 04 Aug 2018 09:52

Thought Bod pressed well (he did it pretty well last season too) and was the one who forced mistakes from the Derby defence, but let himself down a bit on the ball.

Swift would often play off Bod a la Alli and Kane for Spurs. Clement obviously intends to switch from 433 to 442 in game as he sees fit.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Aug 2018 09:58

Nobody is mentioning the Cruyff touch by Swift in the first half, that was pure class.

tilehurstender

by tilehurstender » 04 Aug 2018 09:59

Positive start with Derby doing their best to help us with very Stam like passing about from the back. Unfortunately we were not quick or decisive enough to take advantage.
Quicker tempo but still not creating chances, how many saves did Carson actually make for all the early pressure?
Swift???? Obviously he is a talented player but again, he fades from games time and time again. Same can be said for Kelly, he's no longer the new kid on the block and needs to start dominating games. How often do you walk away from a game thinking yeah, he totally nailed it today? The odd wonder strike or cracking pass but is that enough over a whole season?
The whole Moore situation needs to be sorted soon. Terribly missed last night but if he's now chosen to leave then we must move on.
Thought Meyler did the simple things a lot better than van den berg so positives there. Going to miss a number of games throughout season through suspension though. Illori did ok but for all his battling qualities which he showed in keeping Nugent quiet, McShane will be found out when up against smaller faster forwards.
Richards is still work in progress I think. Needs to realise he's in the team on merit and then hopefully he won't appear as nervous.
Bodvarsson, worked his socks off but is often left isolated and hasn't the ability to conjure up something on his own.

Overall, thought a draw would have been the fair result but as we all know, when has football ever been fair???

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Aug 2018 10:18

tilehurstender Quicker tempo but still not creating chances, how many saves did Carson actually make for all the early pressure?

No many, but there were a number of balls in that were of the "that just needed a touch" variety, to count as decent chances. While there weren't a huge number of clear shots, we actually looked dangerous going forward, and that's not been true for a very long time.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 04 Aug 2018 10:21

Mugged , well and truly, all the w*nkfest media crap this morning over Lampard makes it a bitter pill to swallow.

For some bizarre reason we simply retreated so deep into our half in the second half it was inevitable something horrible was going to happen, as it did.

We need a new goal keeper, quickly.

266 posts