266 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Derby County (h) sponsored by a new hope

by Sutekh » 31 Jul 2018 08:59

When : Friday 3rd August, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

And now it gets difficult. The season has to start. Think we’d all agree that another 12 months away to rebuild together with another 12 months of a transfer window might give the club more chance or at least the supporter more hope and there’s been scarcely little of that flying about Reading in the last year or so.

Another close season of largely underwhelming transfer activity and miserable results in friendlies hasn’t really helped as it was pretty much like last year only this time around the star player has gone (OK, Liam hasn’t signed just yet so there is always belief he might stay but realistically he’s as good as gone and who can blame him when there’s PL interest and so little perceived to have changed at the club under Paul Clement.

Reading still appear to be suffering badly with an inability to create very much very often. The football is still too pedestrian and the passing still too crabby though there does at least seem to be less faffing about at the back with the ball just because Reading have it. Oh for the days when you passed the ball forward with pace and played at a high tempo to get the right to play your game your way. Oh for the days of excitement and actually seeing something worth getting behind

OK perhaps Paul’s going to get the team on the way to that, perhaps Baldock is just what is needed to complete the attacking solution (though I have to say that any attacking solution that involves Aluko is probably flawed in the first place). Perhaps last week’s poor showing v Palace can be put more down to the missing players and a “who cares about friendlies anyway” attitude and just perhaps there’s a secret plan that’s not been able to be fully revealed yet that will catch everyone cold.

Derby will arrive full of confidence and full of good players as well as a manager that everyone there will want to do well so there’s bound to be a lot of belief especially after their rather more successful preseason activities plus the likely signing of George Evans who never really got a chance here due to injuries mainly. Wouldn’t expect George to play though as I presume as part of any transfer deal Reading will insist he misses the game so we could at least rest assured from the “Jay Tabb” effect.

On the playing front Blackett is suspended, Edwards, Popa and Harriott are injured while McShane, O’Shea and Bacuna should all return. In all likelihood there will not be a replacement for Liam Moore at the club and Liam is unlikely to play even if he is still here while talks go on with Brighton.

After further thought I think the team will be Mannone, Yiadom, O’Shea, McShane, Gunter, Meyler, Swift, Clement, Barrow, Aluko, Baldock with the subs being; Walker, McNulty, Kelly, Bodvarsson, Ilori, Bacuna and Richards

For the season I think anywhere away from looking over the proverbial shoulder at the relegation places is a good season. You certainly want to see improvement in the team’s lack lustre performances and toothless attacks as the season develops and perhaps not having to wait until April to win a home league game on a Saturday might be a good idea.

Just hope the team can give a good account of themselves in the game and not be a complete shambles and embarrassment on the telly. Those of you going to the game should also be positive and supporting and LOUD. Let’s have more clever songs/chants for players, let’s shout “good try” when something fails rather than “you ****, insert name of player here” like many. I know it’s difficult but a massed support in that frame of mind for every game WILL slowly make things happen for the team, you just need to practice, be persistent and leave the negativity for the random jottings on crapfests like HNA (where it’s more fun anyway).

So let’s get out there and get Derby and spoil SKY’s intended celebration of everything Frank Lampard touching turning to gold. Though, of course, any Reading win will be deemed as a poor display from Derby that’s just fine. Could live with that all season.

Referee

Eager for the first demonstration of the new season is Robert Jones

Previously

30 January 2018 Burton (a) W 3-1
03 March 2018 Wolves (a) L 0-3

Historically

This will be the 20th visit from Derby for a league game in Reading and all have been played since September 1984.

Reading have the upper hand on Derby with twice as many wins across all league games (20) as their more illustrious opponents. However while Reading have that upper hand and have recorded 11 home wins to Derby’s 3 away wins the fact is that Reading have not won any of the previous 6 home games against Derby (D4, L2) scoring 6 to their 10.

How to follow the game

1. SKY
  2. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  3. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. Use an iFollow subscription
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (h) sponsored by a new hope

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jul 2018 09:03

Quite sad that we haven't got David Coote refereeing the first game but our time will come! It is time to show patience.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jul 2018 09:04

Is anyone else really not up for this shit yet? Just walking into this season with the feeling of not being arsed or invested. Can't remember feeling this way before.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jul 2018 09:13

Old Man Andrews Is anyone else really not up for this shit yet? Just walking into this season with the feeling of not being arsed or invested. Can't remember feeling this way before.

World Cup hangover. Must be the shortest period of time I can recall between a World Cup Final and first game, 19 days I think. Simply doesn't feel like there has been a break from football, so doesn't feel like a new season. More a continuation of the last, which isn't a good thing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 09:19

yeah I'm quite looking forward to it. It would be very difficult to be worse than last year, which really did sap my enthusiasm

Nice write up Sutekh, but very much doubt O'Shea (who hasn't played for 3 weeks) will start ahead of Ilori. Might be throwing my season ticket at the dugout if he does. Kelly will start ahead of Clement. Meite will be involved somewhere I think.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Jul 2018 09:47

Old Man Andrews Is anyone else really not up for this shit yet? Just walking into this season with the feeling of not being arsed or invested. Can't remember feeling this way before.

Me.

I’m really trying to convince myself I’m looking forward to it. I honestly don’t care and the fact it’s only a few days away is kind of stressing me out. I think I need another few weeks Reading free tbh.

Almost certainly World Cup hangover. (On top of us being gash). I think Stranded hit the nail on the head. We haven’t really had a break from football.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Jul 2018 10:20

Reckon the team will be

Mannone, Gunter, McShane, Ilori, Yiadom, Meyler, Swift, Kelly, Barrow, Aluko, Baldock.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 31 Jul 2018 10:42

Question is, will Baldock start though?

Manager's have a tendency to buy players and then not play them for about two weeks whilst they settle in, or they sit on the bench before coming on for their first appearance.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jul 2018 10:43

No way he starts Friday for me. Think we will go with Bod up top on his own.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 11:13

Yeah, or even Meite to start up front, as he has for every pre-season game.

Baldock will be in the starting 11 by the week after I expect

russyb

by russyb » 31 Jul 2018 11:17

FCUK you Frank Lampard TV

i hope we perform well, there were parts of the game i have seen in pre season that i do actually like despite everyone's doom and gloom. Lets spoil the Sky party. I bet they are upset they have to feature us at all.. Come on URZ

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jul 2018 11:18

Reckon Meite should be rewarded with a start. McNulty is the likely sub but I wouldn't be surprised to see bod on the bench too.

I hope it's:

Mannone
Yiadom
McShane
Ilori
Gunter
Meyler
Swift
Bacuna
Aluko
Barrow
Meite

Walker
Richards
Oshea(is he fit?)
Clement
Kelly
Bod
McNulty

(Provided everyone on that list is fit)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 11:23

NewCorkSeth Reckon Meite should be rewarded with a start. McNulty is the likely sub but I wouldn't be surprised to see bod on the bench too.

I hope it's:

Mannone
Yiadom
McShane
Ilori
Gunter
Meyler
Swift
Bacuna
Aluko
Barrow
Meite

Walker
Richards
Oshea(is he fit?)
Clement
Kelly
Bod
McNulty

no Baldock (swap him in for Richards)? Reckon Blackett in for O'Shea, Kelly swapped for Bacuna. I wouldn't be surprised if Clement does swap in McNulty for Aluko or Swift either, otherwise we'll have 3 CFs on the bench.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 31 Jul 2018 11:52

thanks

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jul 2018 11:59

Hound
NewCorkSeth Reckon Meite should be rewarded with a start. McNulty is the likely sub but I wouldn't be surprised to see bod on the bench too.

I hope it's:

Mannone
Yiadom
McShane
Ilori
Gunter
Meyler
Swift
Bacuna
Aluko
Barrow
Meite

Walker
Richards
Oshea(is he fit?)
Clement
Kelly
Bod
McNulty

no Baldock (swap him in for Richards)? Reckon Blackett in for O'Shea, Kelly swapped for Bacuna. I wouldn't be surprised if Clement does swap in McNulty for Aluko or Swift either, otherwise we'll have 3 CFs on the bench.

Think we need to start building Richards up so we have a proper LB since Obita has been out so long.
Baldock coming on ahead of McNulty is a bit of a spit in the face no? I'm hoping Meite eventually takes Alukos place on the right wing freeing up the top for our 3 actual strikers.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 12:07

NewCorkSeth
Hound

I hope it's:

Mannone
Yiadom
McShane
Ilori
Gunter
Meyler
Swift
Bacuna
Aluko
Barrow
Meite

Walker
Richards
Oshea(is he fit?)
Clement
Kelly
Bod
McNulty

Think we need to start building Richards up so we have a proper LB since Obita has been out so long.
Baldock coming on ahead of McNulty is a bit of a spit in the face no? I'm hoping Meite eventually takes Alukos place on the right wing freeing up the top for our 3 actual strikers.

I'm saying I reckon McNulty might start, but Baldock will definitely be on the bench at least

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 31 Jul 2018 13:11

Stranded

World Cup hangover. Must be the shortest period of time I can recall between a World Cup Final and first game, 19 days I think. Simply doesn't feel like there has been a break from football, so doesn't feel like a new season. More a continuation of the last, which isn't a good thing.

2012, I think, would have been the last time I cared about **this** much (Olympics, Tour de France, Euros and ... was there something else?) and we'd just been promoted as well. Probably wasn't helped, in hindsight, with the August BHW game cancelled and us going almost a month without a league game.

Oh, and with us being shit.

Anyway, then.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 31 Jul 2018 13:13

This game?

Err, there's a fair few Derby fans drink in and around the JQ. So, really, don't be shit. People are watching.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 31 Jul 2018 13:59

A lot of 3/4-0 predictions on the Derby forum, can't see it myself, first game of the season is usually a tight affair, how many away teams start with a heavy win?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 31 Jul 2018 15:33

russyb FCUK you Frank Lampard TV

i hope we perform well, there were parts of the game i have seen in pre season that i do actually like despite everyone's doom and gloom. Lets spoil the Sky party. I bet they are upset they have to feature us at all.. Come on URZ

Very good post

tidus_mi2 A lot of 3/4-0 predictions on the Derby forum, can't see it myself, first game of the season is usually a tight affair, how many away teams start with a heavy win?

I seem to recall Bolton won 4-0 at Leicester in 2001 with Michael Ricketts notching a hatty. Derby fans are pricks. The game will be a draw

266 posts